Russell Martin

LegalEagle

27 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Leeds and Leicester showing what can be done on comparable resources, and Ipswich showing what can be done with much more limited resources.

We've dropped below the 2 points per game as well, so we're not even on track "in any normal season" either.

On all dimensions he is failing right now.

Would you prefer to have Farke?

Just now, sfc4prem said:

Would you prefer to have Farke?

Without a doubt yes. I said that at the time as well. 

Proven record of getting teams out this league in the past and will do it again. Much better manager. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Dman said:

I want him gone because I don’t really like the bloke. Comes across as incredibly arrogant and talks the same utter shite week after week. 

We’re not gonna sack him t this point though and rightly so. When we fail to go up, I’d be asking massive questions. There’s no way he’ll take us up next season with a significantly weakened squad. 

Yes, all true but he 'loves the players' don't you know...!

He has a knack of over complicating things and trying to be too clever when things go 'slightly wrong', which happened during September (inverted full backs and all that nonsense) Our spell of 25 games came from a pretty stable 11 that didn't change much, nor did the structure or player positions as it was pretty standard - players knew where they played, their team mates knew where they would be. Things then click into place.

But at the moment he seems to have reverted to flapping around in thin air to find a structure again. Yes, we've lost Downes, but it shouldn't have meant the return of tinkering to this level. He is also struggling to integrate our January signings into the team at the moment.

• Like 4

100% agree, don't like the bloke , comes across as a smarmy arrogant prick, fair play for getting a good run going but even that was littered with luck, if we had a shit squad I'd hold my hands up and say he's doing a good job, but for this level he's got a really good squad poss 1st or 2nd in league on that basis he's failing, the lack of cdm, the bizarre inverted full backs making an appearance,  THB rb, Jack playing err somewhere, nullifying Brooks as he had no one behind him, ref JS, lumping crosses in for AA , trusting in Bazunu , playing so slow and ponderous when losing at home with no urgency, keeping his mates happy rather than keeping settled ish team, despite FD being really good player he's a bit of a sicknote and we should've got a cdm in as cover if he doesn't believe in SC

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm not a fan of his pissing around at the back, and slow build up simply recycling possession, but I think it'd be a greater risk to change manager now. Added to which, the usual question of who would come in and improve things ?

Even if you offered me Cooper I'd take the view we'd be better off staying the course with RM. ('old man Steptoe' or 'Lego Head'... difficult one...)

2 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

100% agree, don't like the bloke , comes across as a smarmy arrogant prick, fair play for getting a good run going but even that was littered with luck, if we had a shit squad I'd hold my hands up and say he's doing a good job, but for this level he's got a really good squad poss 1st or 2nd in league on that basis he's failing, the lack of cdm, the bizarre inverted full backs making an appearance,  THB rb, Jack playing err somewhere, nullifying Brooks as he had no one behind him, ref JS, lumping crosses in for AA , trusting in Bazunu , playing so slow and ponderous when losing at home with no urgency, keeping his mates happy rather than keeping settled ish team, despite FD being really good player he's a bit of a sicknote and we should've got a cdm in as cover if he doesn't believe in SC

Doesn't have a lot of option there though does he ? That and the strikers available to him, are down to the club rather than him

45 minutes ago, Dman said:

Surely we should be throwing the kitchen sink at Rosenoir or McKenna in the summer.. whichever doesn’t go up. Both much better, tactically astute, managers achieving more on half the budget

42 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Leicester will have sacked their manager by then, perhaps we can get him in

41 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Was thinking Liam Rosenior has done an impressive job at Hull. Wouldn't be adverse to him if we don't go up.

I like the look of Rosenior at Hull as well, think he has done really well with them this season.  The problem is, if we were to change manager they will have much less resources than RM has this season.  I've made no secret of the fact that I don't fancy our chances in the playoffs, I just don't think we have the style of play to do well in a knock out game.  We will lose quite a lot of talent and experience next season, so getting out of this league becomes much, much harder.  You can bet your bottom dollar that we wont be such a hot prospect next year.

Just now, Micky said:

I like the look of Rosenior at Hull as well, think he has done really well with them this season.  The problem is, if we were to change manager they will have much less resources than RM has this season.  I've made no secret of the fact that I don't fancy our chances in the playoffs, I just don't think we have the style of play to do well in a knock out game.  We will lose quite a lot of talent and experience next season, so getting out of this league becomes much, much harder.  You can bet your bottom dollar that we wont be such a hot prospect next year.

Rosenior is pretty much a carbon copy of Russell in every aspect. Playing style, buzz-words, philosphy etc. 

Might as well keep Martin if Rosenior is the replacement.

He’s too emotional. Doesn’t think rationally and over complicates everything. He’d be an utter catastrophe in the PL, but thankfully he’ll never have to worry about that. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LGTL said:

He’s too emotional. Doesn’t think rationally and over complicates everything. He’d be an utter catastrophe in the PL, but thankfully he’ll never have to worry about that. 

Tend to agree.  In the past 7 days I've heard him say things like:

• 'I don't mind if playing out from the back goes wrong and gives away goals'
  • '.....blah blah blah I love the players ....blah blah blah'

Give up with all the clichés and sort it out on the pitch, get a plan B going for when it's not working, and start to get results again.  Given the squad we have the results aare beginning to get embarrassingly bad.

Edited by Micky
passed / past ?

22 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He has a knack of over complicating things and trying to be too clever when things go 'slightly wrong', which happened during September (inverted full backs and all that nonsense) Our spell of 25 games came from a pretty stable 11 that didn't change much, nor did the structure or player positions as it was pretty standard - players knew where they played, their team mates knew where they would be. Things then click into place.

But at the moment he seems to have reverted to flapping around in thin air to find a structure again. Yes, we've lost Downes, but it shouldn't have meant the return of tinkering to this level. He is also struggling to integrate our January signings into the team at the moment.

I think this is a very important lesson. The other ting I keep thinking about is that he has fucked up our fitness in this period with a lot of games. He has completely missed the mark with regards to us playing with the right amount of energy.

Either way - Martin is responsible for this dip in form. He needs to sort it out fast, if there is even a tiny chance left of promotion this season.

For me, Martin did not earn credit during the brillant run. He raised the bar.
Now its time to clear it or fuck off... 

Just theoretically, what happens when we don’t get promoted, does he stay?

It’s going to be just as tough/tougher next year against Sheff Utd, Burnley and Luton and we’ll be severely weakened unless we shrewdly buy some quality.

Missing out on the obligation to buy THB is hard to take imo.

Just now, GDog07 said:

Just theoretically, what happens when we don’t get promoted, does he stay?

It’s going to be just as tough/tougher next year against Sheff Utd, Burnley and Luton and we’ll be severely weakened unless we shrewdly buy some quality.

Missing out on the obligation to buy THB is hard to take imo.

The clubs coming down aren't of the level of Leeds and Leicester, but we'd still need to be pretty prepared early on to be in the conversation. We will have a bigger rebuild than last year, pretty much an entire new team will be required and we'd have to start from scratch, with a base of Smallbone, Stephens, Bree, Charles, Edozie, Manning. In some ways a new manager and new DoF (if Wilcox goes) coming in at that stage could provide a nice clean slate to mould a new side in new ideas, but let's see what happens this year first.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Badger said:

Doesn't have a lot of option there though does he ? That and the strikers available to him, are down to the club rather than him

He gave an incredibly forceful defence of Bazunu in the early season fan forum. He aligned himself firmly with Bazunu as his chosen Number One. And he hand picked that crocked Jock.

Edited by CB Fry

53 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

So you think Sports Republic have fucked it, yet again?

We appointed someone whose only managerial achievements were finishing 13th in L1 with MK and then two mid table nothing seasons with Swansea, including huge streaks of terrible form, and absolutely loads of goals conceded.

It was always a risk (it's worked out OK for Leicester with their inexperienced appointment) but it hasn't for us. Yet. He might still come good in the play offs but he's never managed a single play off tie.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

He gave an incredibly forceful defence of Bazunu in the early season fan forum. He aligned himself firmly with Bazunu as his chosen Number One. And he hand picked that crocked Jock.

Remember that and at the time thought he was just publicly backing his GK. If he still believes he's the best in the division then he's more deluded than we thought.

21 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Are you the bloke mouthing off that Martin is worse than Jones.

Based on history, I’d argue he is. Jones has much more pedigree. He’s just ugly and his style of football isn’t much prettier. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Although Liverpool up next which is probably as close as he'll get.

I think this will be our next 9-0.

He's even said he could do without the game, great message to send to the 5500 travelling up there. Maybe he'll let the assistant do the press conference again 

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

He's even said he could do without the game, great message to send to the 5500 travelling up there. Maybe he'll let the assistant do the press conference again 

Why say that, makes no sense and sends out the wrong message. He can play as strong a side as he likes because we are staying in the play-off places. Why not say he's looking forward to setting a team up against one of the best around? 

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Why say that, makes no sense and sends out the wrong message. He can play as strong a side as he likes because we are staying in the play-off places. Why not say he's looking forward to setting a team up against one of the best around? 

Because he's not looking forward to it!

Presumably because he knows as well as we do that we'll be slaughtered sticking to the same tactics.

• Like 1

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

Because he's not looking forward to it!

Presumably because he knows as well as we do that we'll be slaughtered sticking to the same tactics.

He could always change the tactics. Maybe come up with a surprise or two rather than being predictable.

1 minute ago, saintant said:

He could always change the tactics. Maybe come up with a surprise or two rather than being predictable.

What like try and hit them on the counter with our pacy wide players? That would be a far too logical idea for Russ. 

14 minutes ago, saintant said:

To be fair KWP at left back, THB as right wing back and Stephens playing a roaming DC, DM, CM and AMC role today was a surprise. I didn't predict that!

Just now, S-Clarke said:

To be fair KWP at left back, THB as right wing back and Stephens playing a roaming DC, DM, CM and AMC role today was a surprise. I didn't predict that!

But the style of football remained the same predictable stuff.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dman said:

Based on history, I’d argue he is. Jones has much more pedigree. He’s just ugly and his style of football isn’t much prettier. 

Bearing in mind the opposition, the style of football we played today was one of the most boring I’ve had the misfortune to watch. 

I’ve no doubt in my mind that had Jonesy taken over this season, we wouldn’t be any lower in the league. We may not have gone 25 unbeaten, but  we’d be in the PO places, of that I have no doubt. Id also fancy Jones muck & bullets approach in the play offs over L ego’s fucking passing for the sake of it style. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Bearing in mind the opposition, the style of football we played today was one of the most boring I’ve had the misfortune to watch. 

I’ve no doubt in my mind that had Jonesy taken over this season, we wouldn’t be any lower in the league. We may not have gone 25 unbeaten, but  we’d be in the PO places, of that I have no doubt. Id also fancy Jones muck & bullets approach in the play offs over L ego’s fucking passing for the sake of it style. 

Would not fancy us in the play offs at all 

I wasn’t sat that far from the dugout and honestly there were parts of that game Martin wasn’t even watching. He was constantly having a go at the 4th official who has absolutely no impact on the game, it got quite embarrassing at times. It seems his go to when he’s under pressure. And the pressure is certainly starting to ramp up. Our iffy performances started around the same time that Stephens appeared back in the squad. Absolutely baffling to play him today, especially when it became very evident that we’d some creativity to unlock Millwall s 2 banks of five.

• Like 2

This is from Alfie House on X

Asked Russell Martin about his tactical setup and whether they 'thought' rather than 'felt' again:

"It’s nothing to do with that. If people want to talk about all that stuff, it’s not that. We conceded two rubbish goals. I don't think there's a problem with the tactics but it's pointless. I always say if I feel I have got something wrong but you can't concede goals like that. This is what I felt today, the team needs Jack Stephens in it at the moment."

Martin grows ever more deluded. If Jack Stephens is the answer, then I don’t ever want to know the question .

Edited by Edmonton Saint
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

No weve been slow and ponderous for at least 5-6 weeks now,seems that the structure of the team has somehow gone walkabouts and were not demanding the ball in spaces from each other atm. Swapping the teams balance through trying too many variations isnt doing the team setup any favours. Why do we still lack pace and direction at home when were loosing....ie Hull and now bloody Millwall why. Fuck me Liverpool on wedsnesday will fucking smash us ,were just still so panicky at the back, so playoffs it is then maybe?

7 minutes ago, Edmonton Saint said:

This is from Alfie House on X

Asked Russell Martin about his tactical setup and whether they 'thought' rather than 'felt' again:

"It’s nothing to do with that. If people want to talk about all that stuff, it’s not that. We conceded two rubbish goals. I don't think there's a problem with the tactics but it's pointless. I always say if I feel I have got something wrong but you can't concede goals like that. This is what I felt today, the team needs Jack Stephens in it at the moment."

Martin grows ever more deluded. If Jack Stephens is the answer, then I don’t ever want to know the question .

There's one thing you can always guarantee with Stephens, and it's goals. Just not for us.