Russell Martin

LegalEagle

4 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

That could be the noddiest thing I've ever seen from the club. Do you get a free giant foam hand and a red and white wig to go with it?

Must do.

I was trying to decide whether it was worse then the "Go Wilde" shirts but even thinking about it made me sad.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Wagner sacked at Norwich after last night showing 

Martin once said he wanted to return to manage Norwich one day. Wonder if that still sits among his ambitions? 

On 14/05/2024 at 07:10, The Cat said:

Anyone copped one of these? Will look great when we all turn up wearing one on Friday.

Screenshot_2024-05-14-07-07-29-30_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

That has to be a joke, surely.

The clip art footballs, the starbursts, the fonts, the lightning bolts... fucking lol, it's like something Gareth from the Office would knock up. 

Did Russell do that one himself?  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

That has to be a joke, surely.

The clip art footballs, the starbursts, the fonts, the lightning bolts... fucking lol, it's like something Gareth from the Office would knock up. 

Did Russell do that one himself?  

When I saw it, I assumed they were only doing kids sizes, they can't sell that to adults, surely?

On 14/05/2024 at 07:10, The Cat said:

Anyone copped one of these? Will look great when we all turn up wearing one on Friday.

Screenshot_2024-05-14-07-07-29-30_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

Let’s All Go Wilde. Mind you I would be in the market for a three way football top comprised of the Saints/ Goztepe/ Valeciennes shirts Sports Republic logo on front and Rasmus Ankersen name across the back 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

When I saw it, I assumed they were only doing kids sizes, they can't sell that to adults, surely?

The result of an early rounds Apperentice task, that’s what it looks like. Shat out by a team who’ve called themselves ‘Bravery’ up against a crippling deadline and the withering glare of Karren Brady. 

Wonder if Rusty will be invited into the boardroom later tonight 

• Haha 1

Interesting that Wagner was sacked when he's probably done a comparable job to Martin to date. I don't think he'd go if we fail tonight, but we wouldn't have even needed play offs if we were coached into killing off teams. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tdmickey3 said:

Ok Russell, you are 1 or 2 games from success or failure.

Get your team and tactics right

I genuinely can’t believe anyone types stuff like this and then thinks ‘yep, that’s a perfectly reasonable thing to write’ and hits post.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Interesting that Wagner was sacked when he's probably done a comparable job to Martin to date. I don't think he'd go if we fail tonight, but we wouldn't have even needed play offs if we were coached into killing off teams. 

Sure Martin has made lots of mistakes and he has admitted to making lots this season but the absolute killer game for me was Boro at home where we played very well and created a bucket load of chances but dire finishing meant the three points slipped through our fingers (plus suspect KWP defending of course). Not sure Martin could have done anymore with that particular game. Down to individuals not doing their job in my book. 

• Like 2

Just the sharpener that Martin needed, I reckon we’ll be ok now you’ve told him.

• Haha 7

What's the point in getting the team and tactics right tonight? As you so eloquently said on another thread yesterday "We won’t be beating Leeds in final if we get there, they will get a confidence boosting 4 nil" 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

There's 4XL as an option so all sizes catered for thankfully 

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Thankfully?

The more people that buy one the better. Would love to see an army of Saints fans marching to Wembley wearing those, people of all shapes and sizes. 

21 minutes ago, The Cat said:

The more people that buy one the better. Would love to see an army of Saints fans marching to Wembley wearing those, people of all shapes and sizes. 

Luckily, I've heard they will be on every seat tonight - one size fitz (h)all.

Tactically superior to the supposed king of tactics over these two legs despite no Adams or Stewart for the majority.

Pragmatic subtle changes e.g use of Stephens tonight and good subs.

• Like 4

I don’t get the media love in for Corboran, he’s alright but the media are balls deep on him. 

He talked a lot of bollox at the end to, “team unable to find any fluidity” No fucking surprise given the 5-4-1 formation he put up, essentially nullifying their best player. 

He was also schooled by Russell and the staff over both legs. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

I don’t get the media love in for Corboran, he’s alright but the media are balls deep on him. 

He talked a lot of bollox at the end to, “team unable to find any fluidity” No fucking surprise given the 5-4-1 formation he put up, essentially nullifying their best player. 

He’s animated - that’s why they like him.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

He's done an unbelievable job to be fair. Unbalanced squad with very little investment. 5th was an over achievement.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He's done an unbelievable job to be fair. Unbalanced squad with very little investment. 5th was an over achievement.

Yes they havent invested much, but to describe the job hes done as unbelievable is a bit much. They still have most of the squad who were playing for them in the PL a few years ago - Bartley, Diangana, Furlong, Yokuslu, Townsend, Kipre, Phillips, Ajayi etc. They've also added Johnston (probably their best player) The playoffs was probably what was expected of them

11 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Yes they havent invested much, but to describe the job hes done as unbelievable is a bit much. They still have most of the squad who were playing for them in the PL a few years ago - Bartley, Diangana, Furlong, Yokuslu, Townsend, Kipre, Phillips, Ajayi etc. They've also added Johnston (probably their best player) The playoffs was probably what was expected of them

I'm more reiterating what a West Brom supporting friend of mine has told me but I do think it's fair to say he's been one of the standout managers this season. I think Norwich, Hull and Middlesbrough all have stronger squads. In terms of squad value, they're 12th in the Championship. I can see the hype myself.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

That would be true if both had comparable quality squads. We don't.

Russ and the boys have done very well over the two legs, but it helped having superior players.

Edited by Dark Munster
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

That would be true if both had comparable quality squads. We don't.

Russ and the boys have done very well over the two legs, but it helped having superior players.

Russell has won 5 out of 6 against him including 4 for 4 when Swansea manager.

25 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

A homecoming for RM?

He's bound to be on their radar. Why they're using radar and not data, results and management skills I'm not sure. 🙂

Norwich and Hull have dispensed with their managers for not going up. We don't know the direction the club might take if we don't.

16 hours ago, The Cat said:

Nice interview 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0hys080?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Says "we'll analyse the opponents" before the final which busts that pathetic myth which has been banded around about us not doing that.

The pathetic myth came from the horses mouth albeit when we were in that unbeaten run.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

He's bound to be on their radar. Why they're using radar and not data, results and management skills I'm not sure. 🙂

Norwich and Hull have dispensed with their managers for not going up. We don't know the direction the club might take if we don't.

The club already addressed this with Parsons confirming they feel he is doing a good job and has driven a lot of promising change, so zero chance we would be actively looking to make a change regardless of what happens next Sunday.

Hopefully Brighton are looking elsewhere as, if we don't go up, the last thing we need is another change.

• Like 4

Just now, Dusic said:

The club already addressed this with Parsons confirming they feel he is doing a good job and has driven a lot of promising change, so zero chance we would be actively looking to make a change regardless of what happens next Sunday.

Hopefully Brighton are looking elsewhere as, if we don't go up, the last thing we need is another change.

I could see a scenario where we don't go up, Brighton want Martin, we get compensation, and adopt something a little different next season to solve some of this year's issues.

On one hand there are the quotes of him being young, promising and improving. On the other, the stark financial realities of a results based business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Chairman's vote of confidence and all that .....

Nothing would be off limits for Saints. From my time following them, just when you think things are harmonious and fine someone throws a bit of a fit and it all falls out. I'm thinking Alan Ball leaving us, Merrington being sacked despite having achieve the season's goal, the Souness tantrum, Pearson not being kept., Koeman moving on, all at times when you thought things were settled at the  end of the season.  We don't know the set up, and how working relationships have gelled, or how Wilcox fucking off will affect things.

20 hours ago, notnowcato said:

He was showing off like mad with his histrionics on the line.  Has done well with the players at his disposal though.

5 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Guardian going pretty firm on saying Kieran McKenna is their lead target

What a kick in the stones that would be for Ipswich. You would imagine that after b2b promotions he would want to lead them in the PL