Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

6 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Ipswich are being opened up by Leicester at will. I don't think they are getting automatic promotion

Equally, Ipswich were splitting Leicester's defensive lines quite a lot. Promising for when we play Leicester away...

Fully deserved. Nothing to fear from either of those teams. Going to be very difficult to catch Leicester anyway. 

Friday Leicester away to Cardiff, Ipswich home to QPR Leeds away at WBA so a decent chance to open a gap to Leeds, Cardiff away is never easy.  you’d expect  Ipswich to win. If we do the business again and results go our way we could be in a very good position Friday evening

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Watching the game I’m sure we can overhaul Ipswich. If we manage to put some pressure on Leicester that would be great. Big matches against our three rivals to come, not least Leeds on the last day. 

We are yet to play away at WBA, Ipswich, Leicester and Leeds (last day). Tasty games

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

There is enough dross in this league (comparably) for Leicester not to blow an 11 point lead over us...I am sure.

Almost certainly true but it's not insurmountable at this point. If they suffered an injury crisis combined with losing players for the AFCON then you never know. 

• Like 1

I think a draw is a great result, much rather the top 2 share 2 points, than Leicester taking 3.

So much can still happen in this league, 11 points is very doable, considering we staill have to play them.

Even if we don't, we still gained 2 points on Ipsw today.

Still a long way to go, and there will be plenty of twists and turns

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We are yet to play away at WBA, Ipswich, Leicester and Leeds (last day). Tasty games

As we've seen today we are better playing against teams who fancy their chances against us and come out, as home teams are more likely to do, and these three in particular.

The quality of the pressing we have been demonstrating recently when applied to the sides I watched tonight would reap rewards I'm sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Ipswich are being opened up by Leicester at will. I don't think they are getting automatic promotion

That reminds me of a game I watched at a stadium not far from the River Itchen earlier this season. 🤫

Vestergard doing his usual stuff in injury time - not that it helps us though: I think Leicester are going to stay top even though we might run them close.

And nice to see Schumacher giving Rooney a roasting in Birmingham.  Shame, too, about the Skates.

COYFS

2 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

As we've seen today we are better playing against teams who fancy their chances against us and come out, as home teams are more likely to do, and these three in particular.

The quality of the pressing we have been demonstrating recently when applied to the sides I watched tonight would reap rewards I'm sure.

The way we walked through Leeds in the first half at home is giving me plenty of confidence too. Will probably come back to bite me firmly on the arse, but we’re a different team to the one that lost against Leicester and Ipswich earlier in the season.

Edited by HarvSFC
  • Like 1

Leicester haven’t actually been a great footballing team this season. They’ve just left two players up top with bags of pace and counter attacked.
Great tactic when up against slow defences and teams that press, it’s teams that defend deep that make them struggle.

All that said if it gets you results it can’t be all bad.

9 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Leicester haven’t actually been a great footballing team this season. They’ve just left two players up top with bags of pace and counter attacked.
Great tactic when up against slow defences and teams that press, it’s teams that defend deep that make them struggle.

They are really average, sat clear at the top with a GD twice as good as anyone else.

9 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

They've dropped 13 points in total all season, when has all this "struggling" happened?

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

They've dropped 13 points in total all season, when has all this "struggling" happened?

Agreed.

Hopefully our fans can stay grounded through this purple patch of ours. I can understand why our form could be shrouding the performances of other teams but Leicester have been tearing this league a new one and will likely break records. 

11 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

You don’t half come out with some shit do you? 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Yeah but if you take out games the 12 games they've only won by one goal then they've only won 7 games, those 12 games could easily be draws which would mean they'd be 15th just above Blackburn, they might have even lost all of them and if they'd also lost the games they'd drawn then they'd only just be out of the bottom 3. fine margins. They really are struggling if you look beyond their wins, goals, defence and efficiency. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

They’ve just been clinical, something we’ve only just started doing.

Rewatch their goals this season and you’ll see counter after counter.

Leicester’s last 5 games possession stats: 55%, 76%, 59%, 78%, 64%.

Doesn’t particularly sound to me like they’re set up as a counter attacking side.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

They’ve just been clinical, something we’ve only just started doing.

Rewatch their goals this season and you’ll see counter after counter.

I would call SOuthampton the complete opposite of a counter attacking team, largely due to the possession and other stats.

The championship team with stats nearest to us, which suggest our styles are v.similar, is.....Leicester

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/possession/Championship-Stats

1 minute ago, Maggie May said:

Moyes has truly done an exceptional job at West Ham. Imagine if he was given time at United. 

And West Ham fans still moan about him. I sat next to one in bar on holiday in October he spent the whole game moaning about Moyes and even though West Ham won even at the end of the game he was moaning they were lucky and it was boring. Plenty of fans sneered at the idea of us getting him. 
to be 2-0 up with and XG of 0.69 shows how amazing he is 

• Like 1