Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

6 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

just some beauties from the leeds forum 

"Playing Piroe is like starting with 10 men."

"I reckon DF is DOF material rather than manager."

'My god, I feel so disillusioned & drained after what was a horrific display."

I watched Leeds at Preston last week. When the keeper got sent off, I was trying to work out who they would take off to bring another keeper. 

I was stunned when it was Piroe, as I had realised he was playing ! That was the first time the commentary mentioned him in 60 odd minutes.

5 hours ago, whelk said:

Commentator mentioned that WBA players may get picked off in January as they don’t have any cash now parachute payments have ended, might be weaker when we play them. 

Might be controversial but I think WBA were best team we played at SMS this season so far - by a margin. I’m not surprised they have players in demand. 

• Like 2

I think the quality of the PL this year is as bad as I can remember it. Credit to Luton for coming back and almost snatching it, but what are Chelsea doing? They're just a mess. Luton giving it a good go, but competent teams wouldn't have let them do that.

Everton have had 10 points deducted this season and are above the bottom 3. No clear team for the title either, just a miss mash of inconsistency. 

Makes for entertaining viewing, but the quality is certainly lacking.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It feels a bit OTT celebrating a win over Utd these days, it's kind of expected. You've had a really poor day if you don't.

Can’t knock a bit of schadenfreude  😁

(I like that word) 

There was a bit in the paper the other week with an in article headline “they’ve had their pants pulled down too many times buying average players”. 

13 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Sheff Weds - our next league opponents - got a very good result at home to Hull today. They're definitely improving after a terrible start. Reckon they might actually stay up.

With Wayne Rooney’s Birmingham stinking it up they’ve got every chance.

13 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

With Wayne Rooney’s Birmingham stinking it up they’ve got every chance.

Birmingham getting what they deserve, perfectly stable under Eustace but their owners wanted celebrity coverage over in the US, so they picked a celeb manager rather than an actual manager.

They'll go down imo, Rooney won't be there by the time they do, but he's killed them.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Birmingham getting what they deserve, perfectly stable under Eustace but their owners wanted celebrity coverage over in the US, so they picked a celeb manager rather than an actual manager.

They'll go down imo, Rooney won't be there by the time they do, but he's killed them.

5th place when Rooney took over, they’re now in 20th and their fans can’t stand him. The owners really dropped a bollock.

Just now, The Kraken said:

5th place when Rooney took over, they’re now in 20th and their fans can’t stand him. The owners really dropped a bollock.

Mad to think there were some on here actually suggesting we should appoint him in the summer.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Please tell me that’s not true 🤣

I do remember seeing some calls for him 'as a name', along with shouts for Gerrard and Lampard. 

No idea why as none of those have ever showed anything in management.

Edited by S-Clarke

Enjoyed that game. Liverpool playing some lovely stuff with Salah at the centre of everything. Man City are going to have to capitalise on his absence for the AFCON.

7 defeats in the last 8 in all competitions for Newcastle. Will they sack Howe and let someone else come in and spend money in the transfer window or keep him and buy new players?

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Mad to think there were some on here actually suggesting we should appoint him in the summer.

That may have been more down to "anything's better" desperation given Sport Republic's previous two genius appointments... ;)

14 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

F**k me that’s an absolutely dreadful dive from Jota and VAR hasn’t overturned it.

I think that second Pen was the worst I've seen. PGMOL have absolutely ruined football. 

The handball law is all over the place to the point where I don't think anyone can be clear on what the rule is. 

They've absolutely ballsed up VAR to the point where I don't think you'd get a single supporter of it. 

But worst of all, they've seemingly set a precidence where any contact inside the box is now a penatly. They're encouraging players to dive and look for contact. 

i actually feel a bit sorry for ref's. Its a bloody hard job at that level and I'd say they make more decisions right than wrong, but they're just not allowed to use any common sense - on the field or behind a screen. 

A big change is needed at the top. 

• Like 5

Two former academy players and club captains gracing the London Stadium atm. Highlights we've had some great times and sadly fallen a long way - but then hopefully its the start of a new exciting journey. Just a shame that we've got no real academy "stars" in the side currently, although i know smallbone is an academy lad.

Edited by Saint86

59 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Two former academy players and club captains gracing the London Stadium atm. Highlights we've had some great times and sadly fallen a long way - but then hopefully its the start of a new exciting journey. Just a shame that we've got no real academy "stars" in the side currently, although i know smallbone is an academy lad.

Thought I was watching us away from home tbh. Similar style of play to Brighton, they controlled the game but lacked the killer instinct in the final third. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Thought I was watching us away from home tbh. Similar style of play to Brighton, they controlled the game but lacked the killer instinct in the final third. 

Look at the number of shots* they had without scoring and how many on target…very Saintsy…

Edited by gio1saints

23 minutes ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

Their fans were delighted to go out of the cup so that it didn't hamper their promotion push.

Draw and defeat to two teams at the bottom. One win in five and out of the EFL was 6th game. Fantastic 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

Their fans were delighted to go out of the cup so that it didn't hamper their promotion push.

I’ve just messaged one of those very same fans saying , bet you wish you had been in cup action today……😂

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Wednesday looking in great form just before they play us. 

I hope we still have too much for them but they do seem to have turned a corner. Helped by 2 pen misses and an OG by Cardiff so far today but they seem much more potent all of a sudden.

Our former assistant as their manager adds another dimension on his return to St Mary’s. Don’t piss on our chips please Danny.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

I hope we still have too much for them but they do seem to have turned a corner. Helped by 2 pen misses and an OG by Cardiff so far today but they seem much more potent all of a sudden.

Our former assistant as their manager adds another dimension on his return to St Mary’s. Don’t piss on our chips please Danny.

Just seen that Cardiff fans reckon they played better today than they have in months! Think they had quite a changed side and missed a hatful of chances as well as the penalty misses. 

Sheffield Wednesday only had 5 shots on target and won 4-0.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Talking to a Wednesday fan this morning he was raving about Danny Rohl, naturally I told him everything that was good when Hassenhuttl was here was down to him. He is Eric Black in reverse 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Danny Rohl has done an amazing job there in a short amount of time, got them playing good football, scoring goals and winning games, certainly a tough fixture now.

3 minutes ago, JRM said:

Danny Rohl has done an amazing job there in a short amount of time, got them playing good football, scoring goals and winning games, certainly a tough fixture now.

Different circumstances, but they gave us a tough game in the League Cup last season 

1 hour ago, JRM said:

They’re really on a Rohl.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Sheffield Wednesday next week will be tough. Our pissing around at the back won’t be helped by their closing down - I’m guessing SW style is now fast paced gegenpressing?

Can see an error being made by us for a goal next week.

Or alternatively they'll press and we'll pass through them and create a load of chances. Maybe we'll make and error, maybe we won't.

I wish we'd stop pissing around with it at the back because I'm really fed up that playing like that has contributed to our longest unbeaten run in a 100 years or something.

• Like 4