Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

But surely that supports my point not yours?

We're on a historical record breaking run, nine home wins on the spin and we are STILL not top 2. Because we fucked ourselves in September and lost momentum and gave ourselves too much to do.

Ipswich are on a dogshit run of one win in six or whatever it is and they ARE still top 2.

For Leicester to smash 90 points they don't even have to try to be Leicester for the rest of the season, they can bimble about being Norwich or Preston and they will still do it.

To overtake Leicester we need to carry this run going for the entirety of the season.

Fine if we do it and Leicester completely fuck it see you in May and you can gloat then.

It's not gloating I'm just saying it's not completely outlandish at the moment to overhaul a potential 7 point deficit if leicester were to lose next Monday. I accept it's unlikely. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

This for me too. Yeah winning the league would be nice but matters not in the greater picture. Look what happened to the team that pipped us to 1st in 2011/12.

Yeah same for me, 2nd gets you the same result as winning the league, just without the League winner's trophy. I still think Leicester can be caught but it is highly unlikely. What is most annoying is that a 3 horse race this season (as it was always going to be) has become a 4 horse race - however no disrespect to Ipswich but I really think they'll start slipping away as the legs wear out and squad depth takes over.

If we keep playing as we are, no brain farts, we will get promoted. My worry though is that Leeds have an abundance of riches particularly in attack. Keep our necks above them and we'll be fine.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, whelk said:

Surely you’d never forgive Martin if we only came 2nd and didn’t win the Championship? 

Ok so I’ll bite. Martin is up against vastly better opposition than Adkins ever was. And if we have to make a comparison,Adkins had undoubtedly the best squad to pick from in both league one and the Championship. 
hence,Martins efforts to get us out of this league would be vastly more commendable. 
hope that helps.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's not gloating I'm just saying it's not completely outlandish at the moment to overhaul a potential 7 point deficit if leicester were to lose next Monday. I accept it's unlikely. 

You're making out 7 is a small number.

If Leicester drop down to Norwich/Preston levels let's say they get 14 points from the next ten. Their form at this point would stink.

We carry on motoring at 2 points a game - BREAKING RECORDS - we still don't overtake them in 10 games time because we'd still be say at least four points behind them.

It's not really about what we do. It's about what Leicester are not going to do. They're not going to suddenly be as shit as Preston. 

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

If Leicester drop down to Norwich/Preston levels let's say they get 14 points from the next ten. Their form at this point would stink.

We carry on motoring at 2 points a game - BREAKING RECORDS - we still don't overtake them in 10 games time because we'd still be say at least four points behind them.

It's not really about what we do. It's about what Leicester are not going to do. They're not going to suddenly be as shit as Preston. 

It's all ifs and buts isn't it. Clearly it's unlikely but IF they lose to Ipswich, which is possible, and we beat them at the King Power then it's potentially 4 points. 

The problem will be our inability to keep hold of leads away from home. 

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I haven't made out that 7 is a small number. It is significantly smaller than 13 points though and all I was saying is that the chance of it occurring is small but much better than it was a few weeks ago. Like you said with such absolute certainty that we wouldn't be getting automatic at the time that was similarly thought to be highly unlikely - probably more so. 

49 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I think to catch Leicester we need 9-10 points from Ipswich, West Brom, Leeds and Leicester away (including beating Leicester). Personally can’t see that happening.

Bring them on. We have dropped away points against teams like Norwich who just sat back, denied us space and waited for us to attack. I think the top teams will be less inclined to play like that and will attack more - a style of play that will suit us better. 

1 minute ago, Tamesaint said:

Bring them on. We have dropped away points against teams like Norwich who just sat back, denied us space and waited for us to attack. I think the top teams will be less inclined to play like that and will attack more - a style of play that will suit us better. 

We didn't deal with it well at the start of the season (Leicester, Ipswich etc) but we've made tweaks since then and the players are more used to the style. As we saw yesterday - Wednesday tried to press and we just played it around them. 

Every team has their slump, I’m just hoping that ours was at the start of the season. Leeds had a blip over Christmas and Leicester and Ipswich aren’t blowing away teams like that were.

It wouldn’t surprise me come the end of the season if maybe five points separated say the top five.

All of this talk of Leicester and Ipswich result next week, let's just focus on beating Swansea.

Our away form has been patchy and 4 of next 5 are away so probably better to just focus on our own results.

Edited by EssEffCee
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

All of this talk of Leicester and Ipswich result next week, let's just focus on beating Swansea.

Our away form has been patchy and 4 of next 5 are away so probably better to just focus on our own results.

We’ve only lost two but we draw too many, we need to win and Swansea and Rotherham are two games we should be winning. We’ve then got a home game v Huddersfield we should win ahead of two tough away games in 3 days at Bristol City and WBA. If we really should be getting 9 points from our next 3 and ideally 12-13 from our next 5 games 

• Like 2

Trapped under the cat, listening to 5 live football nuggets like...

Possession stats don't mean anything. Except for Man Utd, where they do.

Statistically, a manager is worth 4 points a season. When faced with some questions on whether that would apply replacing top of the league manager with the bottom, there was nothing behind the stat. Some mewling that it came from Liverpool.

Conversely, teams are only ever as good as their win record for this lot. Discussion on Newcastle's drop in position, even with some stats supplied, doesn't get under the hood as to why.

Man Utd are disjointed, but no depth. Just bouncing around the team, tutting.

Last week, I caught 5 mins and it was "How can Arteta solve Arsenal's issues?" When asked what these issues were, there was some awkwardness and it was basically, how can they win more games. So, not the wheels coming off then.

17 hours ago, The Cat said:

Bristol City looked a tidy team tonight. Looking forward to our game there.

It reminded me of our 4th round FA Cup game at Ashton Gate in 1967, which was another 1-0 giant-killing.

After last night's game, they were saying that the 25,000 crowd there generated the best atmosphere they'd had for a long time. But, it was nothing compared to that produced by the 38,000 crowd in 1967. I don't think they've had a crowd as big or as noisy as that since. It included a large Saints following. For comparison, City's gate for a home league game v Pompey that season was 16,000.

Our away support in 1966-67 was possibly the best in our history. We were taking 5,000 to 10,000 to away games. including the 10,000 Saints fans who packed the Park Lane End when we visited Tottenham. Bristol City made the cup game all-ticket so we were only allocated 8,500 tickets but I'm sure more than that found their way into Saints' hands. Pity we lost but in the next round City were drawn away to the eventual cup winners', Spurs.

Edited by Nordic Saint

47 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

It reminded me of our 4th round FA Cup game at Ashton Gate in 1967, which was another 1-0 giant-killing.

After last night's game, they were saying that the 25,000 crowd there generated the best atmosphere they'd had for a long time. But, it was nothing compared to that produced by the 38,000 crowd in 1967. I don't think they've had a crowd as big or as noisy as that since. It included a large Saints following. For comparison, City's gate for a home league game v Pompey that season was 16,000.

Our away support in 1966-67 was possibly the best in our history. We were taking 5,000 to 10,000 to away games. including the 10,000 Saints fans who packed the Park Lane End when we visited Tottenham. Bristol City made the cup game all-ticket so we were only allocated 8,500 tickets but I'm sure more than that found their way into Saints' hands. Pity we lost but in the next round City were drawn away to the eventual cup winners', Spurs.

That was my first away game. Could see fuck all. I was 9 and stuck at the back of the covered terrace surrounded by loads of blokes who sounded like scary pirates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Absolute smash and grab for Hull this evening, 1-0 win at Sunderland and top referring performance, just the 373,639,499 bookings.

Fabio Carvalho got their winner 👀 

40 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What's this modern bollocks about hardly any prem games on a Saturday? Absolutely mad. 

The round of fixtures is split over two weekends, supposedly giving the clubs a two week break……

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Whittaker scores again for Plymouth. He won’t be at Plymouth after the summer!!!

He cost Plymouth just £1.2m and we employed his former manager. If only they had a good relationship, he would have been a great signing, over risking £8m (rising to £10m) on a long term injured player.

What am I missing with this Tony love-in? He was caught breaking rules, served a punishment, yet his return is being treated like some sort of greatest-ever-return.

He's not even good enough to be getting the attention everyone is giving him.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

What am I missing with this Tony love-in? He was caught breaking rules, served a punishment, yet his return is being treated like some sort of greatest-ever-return.

I had to turn the radio off in the car, the commentators were insufferable. May as well not have been any other players on the pitch the amount they talked about him.

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I heard it was being likened to Cantona's return FFS