Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

15 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Bizarre that anyone thinks Ipswich were "the better team" - But that's what you get when you have a generation of kids raised on Fifa and think that possession, corners, shots and throw ins count for more than goals.

Poor attempt to distance yourself from your previous persona 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Cracking atmosphere at West Brom v wolves this is what the fa cup is all about. Can’t believe it’s 17 years since they played each other 

Just kicked off there! 82 minutes and game stopped.

Edited by Winnersaint

Sounds like a proper spicy Derby atmosphere. Shame they will be a big fuss about it. If saints played pompey at St Marys and you had some pompey fans celebrating if pompey scored, I'd expect them to be carried out on a stretcher. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Cracking atmosphere at West Brom v wolves this is what the fa cup is all about. Can’t believe it’s 17 years since they played each other 

16 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Apparently a Wolves fan in the home end celebrating when they scored

Only one? He must have put up a hell of a fight.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Ok Bad Wolf and Whitey I have a question for you as i am really struggling to understand your logic here.

I'm guessing both of you at some point have played competitive football at some level.

Are you telling me that neither of you have walked of the pitch at full time and shook your heads in amazement that you have just lost a game you completely dominated and outplayed the opposition yet nothing went for you in front of goal and the opposition have scored from the only chance they had. Then the opposition players say to you as they are trudging off '' we don't know how we won that you were by far the better team"

OR

The complete opposite where you have played in a game and been battered and outplayed but have won the game and come off admitting "the opposition were the better team" and "we got away with one today lads"

Are you seriously telling me that every game Saints have won we were the BETTER team because with more than 50 years of watching Saints i can tell you we have won games where we were definitely NOT the better team and to believe anything different is just being arrogant! 

Admittedly, as advised sometimes, if it's something like refereeing decisions then yes, I'll concede. But yes, other than that, the better team wins. If Team A has 20 chances, 99% possession and 30 corners and Team B has 1% possession, 1 chances and score it - They're the better team. Because they've been clinical. I just can't wrap my head around how a team can be seen as deserving more because they piss away a bunch of chances.

I have actually played competitive football, as I think most of us have but not at the same level as you. You may not realise this but I've played against/with you many times and it's been an absolute education each time, albeit many years ago but I just can't agree with you on this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

Another trophy for Jose Fonte. His Sporting Braga team have just won the Portuguese League Cup Final.

Crazy. He's, like, really old and could never be better than Mason Holgate as a 4th choice CB in the Championship/part-time U23 CB.

Happy for him though.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

Crazy. He's, like, really old and could never be better than Mason Holgate as a 4th choice CB in the Championship/part-time U23 CB.

Happy for him though.

Would have been lovely to see Jose back at St Marys. 

However we then wouldn’t have seen THB come here as he would have expected to be 4th choice CB. If we get promoted we have an obligation to buy him. 
The lad is quality, we should be building the team around him and doing all we can to keep him. Personally I think three of our starting back four will do fine in the PL should we make it.
Could Jose do a job in the PL next year? - might have been a stretch, and there would be no prospect of selling him for big money. Still would have liked to see him back in the shirt though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

Happy for him though.

He's 40 so this is probably his final season. He's certainly had a remarkable late career. He won 50  caps for Portugal, a European Championship, a Nations League and a French League and made more than 20 Champions League appearances, all over the age of 30, and now he's won the Portuguese League Cup.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 4

Didn't realise there were games tonight, but given that we've pulled them back in to our sight, the Leicester v Swansea fixture is something to keep an eye on.

Although given how horrific Swansea are I'm not expecting much, but stranger things have happened.

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I know there's slight bias, but watching Leicester tonight they really don't look anything special. Much better than Swansea of course but we were a lot more dominant at home against the same opponent. 

They're giving Swansea a bit of a sniff here I think, but I don't think Swansea have anywhere near the level of quality required to do anything of note. Leicester will win it, but I agree they've not been amazing.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They're giving Swansea a bit of a sniff here I think, but I don't think Swansea have anywhere near the level of quality required to do anything of note. Leicester will win it, but I agree they've not been amazing.

They are very good at pressing which should be enough to rattle most teams in this league, they counter attack well with pace and they have a very solid defence. Beyond that I'd describe them as solid and organised which is probably how they've managed to stay so consistent all season so far. 

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

As much as he was never going to be part of the squad, Kamari Doyle taking his inner Saints with him to Brighton.

3-0 down at HT. m

They were 2 down inside 2 mins, incredible performance by Brighton. Sleepwalked through that first half.

23 minutes ago, JRM said:

Leicester will definitely win tonight 

Luton beating Brighton 3-0 at HT bit of a shock 

Hopefully Oxford do the business against the skates 

1-0 Oxford after 57 minutes.

Not so surprised by Luton, their home form has been improving and if Brighton were slightly off it - and they are more than that tonight - they could get battered up there. Throw in a few more points on the road and with Everton deduction, Forest possible deduction and a couple of other just above the drain, they could stay up. Which would be remarkable on their budget. I thought they might a Blackpool - tight ground, good at home where they shock a couple of the top 6, leaky away and just fall short, but they have a bit more about them as the season goes on.

Edited by Gloucester Saint

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/133863-who-can-catch-us/

Despite actively disliking Leicester as a club over the whole Vardy VVD Injury, the 9-0, the Wes Morgan foul goal that possibly cost us CL... I think their fans are actually alright. Been trying to see what's going on with KDH's potential transfer, but this thread highlights just how good they've been this year and what an achievement it will be to catch them (if they don't implode). 

I think we'll catch them for the record. (EDIT: or catch them enough that the pressure will tell and it will be a tight run in).

Also, "is it possible to lap Rotherham" did make me laugh 🤣

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/133863-who-can-catch-us/

Despite actively disliking Leicester as a club over the whole Vardy VVD Injury, the 9-0, the Wes Morgan foul goal that possibly cost us CL... I think their fans are actually alright. Been trying to see what's going on with KDH's potential transfer, but this thread highlights just how good they've been this year and what an achievement it will be to catch them (if they don't implode). 

I think we'll catch them for the record. (EDIT: or catch them enough that the pressure will tell and it will be a tight run in).

Also, "is it possible to lap Rotherham" did make me laugh 🤣

If we do manage to catch them then this team will trump the Adkins lot and then some. We'd probably end up as the best Championship team ever if we finish above them.

I think we will hit an inventible dip, I don't know if it's just the saints fan in me or not, but just rules of averages suggest you cannot churn out win after win after win endlessly - there will be dips. We just have to hope those dips happen at times when the likes of Ipswich and Leeds also have a little wobble.

As Leicester have been so fricking consistent, we simply have zero margin for error for the remainder of the season. That's a bloody tall order. I'm just focusing on Leeds and Ipswich if I'm honest.

Edited by S-Clarke

Leicester fans managing to piss their manager off -

------------------------------

Enzo Maresca’s frustrations over the fan response to his style of play boiled over last night as he threatened to leave Leicester City if doubts over his philosophy intensify.

Since his arrival at City, Maresca has routinely appealed to supporters to get behind his team and create an atmosphere to help them earn big results, and he did so again before the clash with Swansea. But he suggested afterwards that some fans are taking for granted what his side are achieving.

“Probably the people, they think it’s easy to win games, but it’s not easy,” Maresca said in his post-match press conference. “I just want to remind that we have played 34 official games and we have won 26. That is a huge number and probably the people they think it’s easy to win games. But it’s not like this.

“You can feel the fans when they’re not happy. Probably some people they take some things for granted. But it’s not like this. Twenty-six wins out of 34. It’s something unbelievable. Probably when you win, win, win at home, and you continue to win, people think it’s easy. But it’s not easy.

“I arrive in this club to play with this idea. The moment there is some doubt about the idea, the day after, I will leave. It’s so clear. No doubts.

“We have won 26 of 34, a huge number. If people think it’s easy and take it for granted, it’s not like this. Huge respect for the players and the effort they are doing. Hopefully we can reach and give our fans the right joy at the end of the season.”

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Leicester fans managing to piss their manager off -

------------------------------

Enzo Maresca’s frustrations over the fan response to his style of play boiled over last night as he threatened to leave Leicester City if doubts over his philosophy intensify.

Since his arrival at City, Maresca has routinely appealed to supporters to get behind his team and create an atmosphere to help them earn big results, and he did so again before the clash with Swansea. But he suggested afterwards that some fans are taking for granted what his side are achieving.

“Probably the people, they think it’s easy to win games, but it’s not easy,” Maresca said in his post-match press conference. “I just want to remind that we have played 34 official games and we have won 26. That is a huge number and probably the people they think it’s easy to win games. But it’s not like this.

“You can feel the fans when they’re not happy. Probably some people they take some things for granted. But it’s not like this. Twenty-six wins out of 34. It’s something unbelievable. Probably when you win, win, win at home, and you continue to win, people think it’s easy. But it’s not easy.

“I arrive in this club to play with this idea. The moment there is some doubt about the idea, the day after, I will leave. It’s so clear. No doubts.

“We have won 26 of 34, a huge number. If people think it’s easy and take it for granted, it’s not like this. Huge respect for the players and the effort they are doing. Hopefully we can reach and give our fans the right joy at the end of the season.”

Sorry Enzo, I didn't catch that. How many games have you won this season?

• Haha 1

Even a draw puts Leeds ahead of us but as long as keep playing the way we have been, we should be OK. A win puts BC two points off the play offs though so 🤞 they can do us a favour. If anything a Leeds win should put the pressure on the top 2, not us.

Just now, SNSUN said:

Even a draw puts Leeds ahead of us but as long as keep playing the way we have been, we should be OK. A win puts BC two points off the play offs though so 🤞 they can do us a favour. If anything a Leeds win should put the pressure on the top 2, not us.

image.png.8045f5af0f7352f127584cc17f3b6ed5.png

• Haha 1