Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

That was unreal.

I know a few people who were there today in the away end, must have been incredible. 

Absolutely brilliant for the club and the fans who trawled around the Kent League watching them in the 90's after they went bust.

• Like 3

Pleased for Maidstone.

The result is good not only for them but the competition as a whole. Reinforces the spirit of the FA Cup.

People will remember this result long after the yawnfest of another Arsenal/Liverpool/Man City/Chelsea final. (Which I’d go out of my way to avoid watching).

• Like 1

Love those sort of games/results, once in a lifetime thing for Maidstone there! For all their effort they deserved that! It kind of regrounds football a little bit.

Much better than those bore fests last night (Chelsea/Villa, Spurs/Man City)

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

Big sigh of relief for Maidstone Constabulary & Kent Police that they won't have to manage an evening replay fixture in what is widely regarded as one of the toughest crime ridden areas in the country.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Big sigh of relief for Maidstone Constablary & Kent Police that they won't have to manage an evening replay fixture in what is widely regarded as one of the toughest crime ridden areas in the country.

Bet Ipswich threw the game for that very reason. Absolutely shat themselves at the thought of going to Maidstone

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

I hope that Turks, Batman, WSS and the other members of the SOGGY fan club  send him congratulations. 😁😁😁

And they should but as expected they just behave like childish bellends

Edited by tdmickey3
  • Like 1

Watched the first half of the Leicester game, they were shocking and 3-0 wouldn’t have flattered Birmingham.

Guess too many changes will do that but looks like they’ve turned up 2nd half 

Bizarre that anyone thinks Ipswich were "the better team" - But that's what you get when you have a generation of kids raised on Fifa and think that possession, corners, shots and throw ins count for more than goals.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Bizarre that anyone thinks Ipswich were "the better team" - But that's what you get when you have a generation of kids raised on Fifa and think that possession, corners, shots and throw ins count for more than goals.

Are you suggesting we were not The better team over Rotherham the last time we met?

Edited by AlexLaw76

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Are you suggesting we were not The better team over Rotherham the last time we met?

No. Neither team were better. Hence the fact it finished in a draw. But we had 69% possession to Sunderland's 31% when we played them last so we must have been the better team there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

No. Neither team were better. Hence the fact it finished in a draw. But we had 69% possession to Sunderland's 31% when we played them last so we must have been the better team there.

But of an odd way to look at things. You can be superior by every metric apart from goals and end up drawing or losing games. We've certainly won some games in the past that you can't believe we managed to win and where you could easily claim that the other team were better but didn't have let decisions go for them (that didn't happen on this case obviously.)

34 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

wow, just wow. I'm absolutely delighted Ipswich lost and it was a brilliant David v Goliath result but you really must be on some strong meds if you think Maidstone were the better side.

Ipswich absolutely battered them and this was one of those games that every Ipswich player out there will be saying in years to come "i can't believe we lost that"

It was a freak result, a mixture of cup magic, great goalkeeping, piss poor finishing and every Maidstone prayer being answered.

Just because a team wins a game doesnt mean they were the better side!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

wow, just wow. I'm absolutely delighted Ipswich lost and it was a brilliant David v Goliath result but you really must be on some strong meds if you think Maidstone were the better side.

Ipswich absolutely battered them and this was one of those games that every Ipswich player out there will be saying in years to come "i can't believe we lost that"

It was a freak result, a mixture of cup magic, great goalkeeping, piss poor finishing and every Maidstone prayer being answered.

Absolutely, the first period of that game was relentless by Ipswich - chance after chance, attack after attack. I think they hit the post 3 times, and the bar once. Like you say, one of those games. They should have been at least 4 up at HT given their dominance, they just couldn't finish.

Second half they ran out of ideas a bit I felt, certainly after the 2nd Maidstone goal - they seemed to be passing it around without much purpose, but the game should have been out of sight by then tbh.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

How does it not? I fail to see how they were the better team because they pissed away a bunch of chances. You can't be telling me that constantly failing to do the thing that is defined as the object of the game somehow entitles you to be the better team?? 

If they couldn't finish, they wern't the better team. Maidstone scored 2. Ipswich scored 1. Maidstone were better.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

But of an odd way to look at things. You can be superior by every metric apart from goals and end up drawing or losing games. We've certainly won some games in the past that you can't believe we managed to win and where you could easily claim that the other team were better but didn't have let decisions go for them (that didn't happen on this case obviously.)

Obviously if refereeing decisions constantly go against you then yes, maybe there's a point (ie us in the 2017 LC final) but like you say, that wasn't the case here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Obviously if refereeing decisions constantly go against you then yes, maybe there's a point (ie us in the 2017 LC final) but like you say, that wasn't the case here. 

No it wasn't but the point is the final score does not necessarily tell you which team was better or worse. 

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

No it wasn't but the point is the final score does not necessarily tell you which team was better or worse. 

Okay, if you're making a point about officiating decisions during that game you're talking about then I'll concede that could be an exception.

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Okay, if you're making a point about officiating decisions during that game you're talking about then I'll concede that could be an exception.

Let's imagine a hypothetical scenario where a team has 90% possession and every shot on target. In the last minute the keeper injures himself and loses the ball whilst doing so allowing the opposition to score. You can't seriously suggest that in this scenario that neither team has played better than the other? 

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

I was there, Ipswich were.

Great to witness an historical game, 98 places between then.

1 hour ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

That’s the very definition of being the better side. Nothing else matters. Unless you’re awarding marks for artistic impression of course

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Let's imagine a hypothetical scenario where a team has 90% possession and every shot on target. In the last minute the keeper injures himself and loses the ball whilst doing so allowing the opposition to score. You can't seriously suggest that in this scenario that neither team has played better than the other? 

Why not?

10 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

But the ref ruled gabbiadini offside. That is all that matters 

7 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Why not?

Because an unfortunate moment of bad luck resulting in a goal does not then mean you've played as well or better than another team over the course of a game. Even if the score is the same at the end of the match. 

Ok Bad Wolf and Whitey I have a question for you as i am really struggling to understand your logic here.

I'm guessing both of you at some point have played competitive football at some level.

Are you telling me that neither of you have walked of the pitch at full time and shook your heads in amazement that you have just lost a game you completely dominated and outplayed the opposition yet nothing went for you in front of goal and the opposition have scored from the only chance they had. Then the opposition players say to you as they are trudging off '' we don't know how we won that you were by far the better team"

OR

The complete opposite where you have played in a game and been battered and outplayed but have won the game and come off admitting "the opposition were the better team" and "we got away with one today lads"

Are you seriously telling me that every game Saints have won we were the BETTER team because with more than 50 years of watching Saints i can tell you we have won games where we were definitely NOT the better team and to believe anything different is just being arrogant! 

1 hour ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Ok Bad Wolf and Whitey I have a question for you as i am really struggling to understand your logic here.

I'm guessing both of you at some point have played competitive football at some level.

Are you telling me that neither of you have walked of the pitch at full time and shook your heads in amazement that you have just lost a game you completely dominated and outplayed the opposition yet nothing went for you in front of goal and the opposition have scored from the only chance they had. Then the opposition players say to you as they are trudging off '' we don't know how we won that you were by far the better team"

OR

The complete opposite where you have played in a game and been battered and outplayed but have won the game and come off admitting "the opposition were the better team" and "we got away with one today lads"

Are you seriously telling me that every game Saints have won we were the BETTER team because with more than 50 years of watching Saints i can tell you we have won games where we were definitely NOT the better team and to believe anything different is just being arrogant! 

We were never that good a team although there was one game where we dominated midfield and the other team said that we had played well. We lost two nil.

It all depends on what you consider 'playing well'. Stringing lots of passes together might look good but to what effect?

That's not to say that I consider the result to be the be all and end all. I like some excitement in the opposition penalty area, some chances of a goal or two. Some movement with purpose.