Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Dunk was quality tonight. Can only hope Stones gets back soon and that becomes our CB partnership. It won’t though, Southgate is too stubborn for that.

Been wanting to see what Dunk can offer for a while. He’s been absolutely quality for ages now. Deserved call up and you’re right. He should play for me. It should be stones/dunk with colwill/tomori/guehi as back up.. with Maguire sat at home 

7 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Dunk was quality tonight. Can only hope Stones gets back soon and that becomes our CB partnership. It won’t though, Southgate is too stubborn for that.

Whilst Southgate has been great for England, he is on the way down in the role - which will be covered up with the ridiculous talent has has to choose from.

His continued stance on playing Maguire regardless, playing Henderson in the middle (whilst pushing Bellingham wide), and his constant contradictory comments about players, suggest that the Euros are it for him. Seems like a natural end.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

His continued stance on playing Maguire regardless, playing Henderson in the middle (whilst pushing Bellingham wide), and his constant contradictory comments about players, suggest that the Euros are it for him. Seems like a natural end.

His natural end should have been after getting knocked out against France in the WC. To give him the Euros and waste yet another golden chance to win a trophy with these players is crazy.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Poor performances from Adams who looked clueless and Armstrong who looked disinterested suggests that both players are past their sell-by dates for Scotland and not that far off the same fate at Saints. Both looked pedestrian last night.

I'd be very surprised if either started on Friday - they certainly don't deserve to on merit - but Mr Martin is becoming as unpredictable as his predecessors on team selection.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

but Mr Martin is becoming as unpredictable as his predecessors on team selection.

Absolutely ridiculous comment considering the limited games and the amount of transfers going through. 

For all you know he will field the same 11 every week for the whole season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Poor performances from Adams who looked clueless and Armstrong who looked disinterested suggests that both players are past their sell-by dates for Scotland and not that far off the same fate at Saints. Both looked pedestrian last night.

I'd be very surprised if either started on Friday - they certainly don't deserve to on merit - but Mr Martin is becoming as unpredictable as his predecessors on team selection.

I'd rather have Adams starting than Mara through the middle, or A Armstrong for that matter.

Was having a few beers with a mate in the pub watching the England game. As as I’m here, the same conversation came up about selection. 

I’m not one for conspiracy theories, but, if we can see it and every football forum in the country can see it, why is Southgate making the same bad decisions with regard to the players he picks and their position on the pitch. 

He must surely see it too if we all can. 

So, is there something going on behind the scenes for this to keep happening? We couldn’t think of another explanation. 

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

WUM

• Like 4

Watching England control the game with Rice & Phillips allowing Bellingham to roam was what I think Saints ought to be doing: Play Charles & Downes as a pair and allow Alcaraz (or perhaps AA/SA) to roam freely. Neither Alcaraz or Stu seems to be effective chasing back when we lose possession so commit to a team shape that allows for it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

Was having a few beers with a mate in the pub watching the England game. As as I’m here, the same conversation came up about selection. 

I’m not one for conspiracy theories, but, if we can see it and every football forum in the country can see it, why is Southgate making the same bad decisions with regard to the players he picks and their position on the pitch. 

He must surely see it too if we all can. 

So, is there something going on behind the scenes for this to keep happening? We couldn’t think of another explanation. 

So are you saying Southgate got it wrong yesterday?

loyalty shouldn’t be underplayed when getting an effective team together and mangers can’t be chopping and changing in line with whatever sad fucker phones Talksport demands.

Henderson should no longer be picked. Starting to feel sorry for McGuire now. Southgate too negative by far

Edited by whelk

De Zerbi has been excellent.

Aston Villa also doing so well. 

Man United are an absolute comedy club. They invested money in the wrong areas and have arguably gone backwards. Too many egos.
They almost need to have a reset like Arsenal, strip away all the bellends and get young players that want to develop and will improve, eighteen months on and they’re challenging for the title.

• Like 2

Worth remembering that De Zerbi was sacked from his first job and then relegated his next team.

I wonder if he would have been written off as a hipster appointment if we'd appointed him? He's young, plays possession based football and it's likely most people wouldn't have heard of him.

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Worth remembering that De Zerbi was sacked from his first job and then relegated his next team.

I wonder if he would have been written off as a hipster appointment if we'd appointed him? He's young, plays possession based football and it's likely most people wouldn't have heard of him.

His possession based football has purpose and movement though. It also has an organised defence, midfielders who give cover. Basically, he does it properly. 

8 minutes ago, egg said:

His possession based football has purpose and movement though. It also has an organised defence, midfielders who give cover. Basically, he does it properly. 

Maybe because his career has always been managing in the top flight and he learnt from mistakes? He's also been managing twice as long as Martin.

I'm not saying that Martin will be the same, although he's still a relatively young manager.

39 minutes ago, egg said:

Plus Brighton's recruitment of players is bang on the money. They don’t seem to buy many flops. Can't stand them personally, but you have to respect what they are doing. 

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Plus Brighton's recruitment of players is bang on the money. They don’t seem to buy many flops. Can't stand them personally, but you have to respect what they are doing. 

Yep, although I'm not sure what's to dislike about them. They're a small ish club, playing football as well as anyone, and they take cash from the big boys and buy replacement players who are at least as good, then do it again. They're doing what we intended to do, but have done it successfully. Fair play to them. 

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Since being promoted they’ve finished 

15th

17th

16th

9th

6th

Yeah far better than our effort 😂

Awesome mate...we both have lots to show for our efforts in being best of the rest.

Lets see if they end up middle of the championship in 5 years

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Awesome mate...we both have lots to show for our efforts in being best of the rest.

Lets see if they end up middle of the championship in 5 years

Seeing as this is the 8th season since we finished 6th, I’ll see where Brighton are in 8 not 5 years. Let’s also see which team you have a hard on for in 2031. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Seeing as this is the 8th season since we finished 6th, I’ll see where Brighton are in 8 not 5 years. Let’s also see which team you have a hard on for in 2031. 

Not sure why you keep telling me of the final league positions, fully aware of where we finished in comparison. I never referenced that when I said thay are 'doing it better' (not far better, as you stated).

Other than that, good points, well made. That is me 'told'.

Edited by AlexLaw76

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not sure why you keep telling me of the final league positions, I never referenced that when I said that are 'doing it better' 

The league positions prove they’re not doing it better than we did (yet), and you’re spouting pony. I need to keep telling you, because it doesn’t seem to sink in. I don’t blame you, I’m sure they’re were Brighton fans love struck over us 10 years ago. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They’re trying to do what we did, only they haven’t been as successful yet. Fair play to us. 

Ha!! Show me a period on our PL return where we've consistently signed players and managers as successfully as Brighton, and I'll agree with you...

The league positions prove they’re not doing it better than we did (yet), and you’re spouting pony. I need to keep telling you, because it doesn’t seem to sink in. I don’t blame you, I’m sure they’re were Brighton fans love struck over us 10 years ago. 

I am not about league positions, you are (and keep going on about it).

Again, excellent point mate.

Just now, egg said:

Ha!! Show me a period on our PL return where we've consistently signed players and managers as successfully as Brighton, and I'll agree with you...

Yeah, when Lallana, Lovren, Lambert, Chambers, Shaw, Morgan, Chambers, left we replaced them with fucking dross. Same when Poch walked out, that fucking Koeman. Clueless. 

Yeah, when Lallana, Lovren, Lambert, Chambers, Shaw, Morgan, Chambers, left we replaced them with fucking dross. Same when Poch walked out, that fucking Koeman. Clueless. 

Yesterday they made 6 changes and went to old trafford and got their manager booed off the park. We've never had the strength in depth at PL level to do that. Up to Koeman we got it right. Up to the VVD sale we mostly got it right. After that our recruitment has mostly been a pile of shite. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, egg said:

Yesterday they made 6 changes and went to old trafford and got their manager booed off the park. We've never had the strength in depth at PL level to do that. Up to Koeman we got it right. Up to the VVD sale we mostly got it right. After that our recruitment has mostly been a pile of shite. 

couldn't agree more,also our recruitment personnel have chopped and changed a lot aswell,so there's no clear direction of recruiting the next right player,because everyone whats to stamp their own brand of player into the club ,but not necessarily the right one. But we have such a weak feeble i might get hurt midfield atm and its not getting any better.Why do we always try players in an unfamiliar playing style or out of position? RM and the rest of the coaching team have had plenty of time to make the correct team selection by now and should have a clear understaning of whos going to get on board and who cant cut it.

What a pointless discussion above regarding Brighton and Saints and their spells in the Premier League.

Both had/have exceptional recruitment. Brighton are absolutely reaping the rewards of great business and great scouting like we did eight years ago. In no way do I begrudge them this spell in the spotlight; it is totally deserved.

We were once in that position and a multitude of poor decisions have lead us to a division lower today. Player signings, manager appointments - this is what lead us to where we are. Brighton are well within the period of getting it right.

I hope Brighton keep it going as long as they can, they're a fantastic watch and a great squad that is clearly united and pulling in the same direction. They absolutely deserve to be where they currently are.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

What a pointless discussion above regarding Brighton and Saints and their spells in the Premier League.

Both had/have exceptional recruitment. Brighton are absolutely reaping the rewards of great business and great scouting like we did eight years ago. In no way do I begrudge them this spell in the spotlight; it is totally deserved.

We were once in that position and a multitude of poor decisions have lead us to a division lower today. Player signings, manager appointments - this is what lead us to where we are. Brighton are well within the period of getting it right.

I hope Brighton keep it going as long as they can, they're a fantastic watch and a great squad that is clearly united and pulling in the same direction. They absolutely deserve to be where they currently are.

Agree. I reckon a degree of jealousy clouds some people's ability to give full credit to Brighton where it is due. I have an admiration for any smaller club that gives the big boys a bloody nose on a regular basis and makes their entitled fans suffer. Fair play to Brighton. Maybe it won't last but right now they are doing brilliantly. We've been there and know it is tough to maintain when competing against the massive money clubs but it's great while it lasts. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Piroe scores again. While I hope Stewart is the better choice long term, I do wish we'd signed Piroe.

However in the current team I think even Piroe would have struggled to make an impact as quickly as he has.

Saints have forgotten what a clean sheet looks like. For well over a year we've looked like conceding with almost every attack and at any level.

Piroe will do well, but presently we can only dream of reaching half time 1-0 up.