Saints Play - A New Rip-off?

Bakovnetski

On 03/08/2023 at 08:49, CanadaSaint said:

Yes, if you subscribe to both. But I'm going with DAZN (ESPN+) for $199.99 CDN, which should cover a good 60-70% of our games. I'll pay £10 for Saints Play for each game it doesn't cover (but I'm definitely not watching an illegal stream for those games because that would be illegal 😎). The SaintsPlay £170 is a really bad deal for us overseas folks (where an international deal exists) because so many games are excluded.

Thanks for this CanadaSaint. I'm in Vancouver in the same boat trying to figure out the best way to be able to watch all Saints games live this season.

I didn't realise ESPN+ was DAZN for us in Canada - is that the case? There's me trying to figure out how to set up a VPN and which one to use (ExpressVPN?) to be able to access ESPN+. Is it better to sign up for DAZN? (The live EFL Championship games it covers seem few and far between...Plymouth (4.00am PT!) and Sunderland the only two Saints games showing so far. It doesn't show how many Saints games they'll cover live but doesn't look many.

SaintsPlay not a great option if we have to pay £10 for 20 or more matches

Any guidance gratefully accepted.

Edited by Vancouver Saint

2 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

I didn't realise ESPN+ was DAZN for us in Canada - is that the case?

I think it's the U.S. version of the same rights deal but I'm not sure.

DAZN showed last night's game, and will show Plymouth Argyle (A), Sunderland (A), and Leicester (H).

However, they will not show our 3 pm home kick offs - Norwich City  and QPR.      

That's as far as DAZN's published schedule goes right now. If it's the same on ESPN+ it's likely the same deal.

33 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

I think it's the U.S. version of the same rights deal but I'm not sure.

DAZN showed last night's game, and will show Plymouth Argyle (A), Sunderland (A), and Leicester (H).

However, they will not show our 3 pm home kick offs - Norwich City  and QPR.      

That's as far as DAZN's published schedule goes right now. If it's the same on ESPN+ it's likely the same deal.

Many thanks CanadaSaint. Have used my three responses up now. I was travelling back from the UK last night so missed the game but saw the highlights on YouTube - we looked pretty good. 

I guess what I'm looking for doesn't exist, which is a channel that covers all Saints games live, either because they cover all EFL Championship games or are a dedicated Southampton FC channel. You'd think somebody would have sussed out that football fans are tribal and want to watch their team's games, not a random variety pack - jeez!

If you find out more, do share...

• Like 3

On 03/08/2023 at 14:05, Rut said:

I reckon they'll be about 30 games out of the 46 that ain't on ESPN+ so it works out about $7 a game for USA based fans. Would have bitten your arm off for that a few years back. Seems expensive now because we've been spoiled with the cheap Prem TV coverage of recent years.

Will give it a go. Would rather pay a bit extra to watch Saints than some Prem game that I don't really care about.

Found this article about the number of time each Championship team was on Sky last season. Sunderland, at 19, appeared the most and Burnley were on 18 times. So your estimate of 30 not on TV is a good guess.

https://www.birminghamworld.uk/sport/football/west-brom/how-many-west-brom-games-shown-sky-sports-compared-middlesbrough-norwich-city-millwall-4139946

Next question is whether they allow multiple log ins on one account - my son is away in college. Can we both watch the same game on one subscription? I doubt it but will ask them.

6 minutes ago, chiknsmack said:

@Brissysaint@austsaint@Gingeletiss

The only game from last night I can watch on demand with BeIN Connect is Blackburn vs West Brom. That may have been played earlier than the other (3pm) games, so it could be that BeIN Connect only has non-3pm games on demand. I'm not sure if the 3pm games were even available live.

Did you go into the teams? I did, it shows which game is on concerning your club.

1 hour ago, chiknsmack said:

@Brissysaint@austsaint@Gingeletiss

The only game from last night I can watch on demand with BeIN Connect is Blackburn vs West Brom. That may have been played earlier than the other (3pm) games, so it could be that BeIN Connect only has non-3pm games on demand. I'm not sure if the 3pm games were even available live.

Yes, I have BeIN Connect as part of their streaming app.   The 5 games live were Saints v Sh. Wed;  Blackburn v Baggies and then the three games on Sunday - Leeds v   Cardiff    Leicester v. Coventry  and Sunderland v Ipswich.   Those 5 games are stored as video replays for a week.

• Like 1

Amazing that I live 150 miles from Southampton and I cannot listen to commentary on a radio station through the BBC or the club without having to fork out extra money over a licence fee. If the club gave an option of paying £xxx for EVERY game streaming live, I would pay. But the laws have not moved on with the migration in the UK (I was born in Winchester but moved early up t' Midlands). If I still lived in the South, I would buy a season ticket, but don't have that option. It's so frustrating trying to follow your club when you don't live in the vicinity. It seems if I moved further away (out of the country) I may have better luck watching or listening to Saints matches. My only option really is to follow Forest or County...but just typing that made me feel faint and ever so slightly vommity! 🤢

• Like 3

On 05/08/2023 at 13:47, RoswellSaint said:

Found this article about the number of time each Championship team was on Sky last season. Sunderland, at 19, appeared the most and Burnley were on 18 times. So your estimate of 30 not on TV is a good guess.

https://www.birminghamworld.uk/sport/football/west-brom/how-many-west-brom-games-shown-sky-sports-compared-middlesbrough-norwich-city-millwall-4139946

Next question is whether they allow multiple log ins on one account - my son is away in college. Can we both watch the same game on one subscription? I doubt it but will ask them.

good summary, Skysports televised matches are essentially ESPN+ televised matches.

so for North Americans (ie: $)... estimating our 46 league matches.

16 ESPN+ matches ($100 ESPN+ per year) = $6.25 a match

30 SaintsPlay matches ($225 per year) = $7.25 a match

Again.. i am going to see how successful i am with streams for next Saturday's non Sky/ESPN+ match. If it is nightmare, i will probably bite the bullet and pony up for SaintsPlay going forward.

Will also be curious for people's report on how well SaintsPlay worked for them next Sat.

Edited by SaintTex

On 05/08/2023 at 19:47, RoswellSaint said:

If not, easy enough to get yourself on discord or similar, screenshare, and watch the game together. If sky and BT haven't cottoned on to that i reckon you're safe...

Since moving out of the Solent FM area to north of the border the Saints app is all I have. I didn't pay because it was unclear if it was going to be the solent sports stream on the saintsfc website (which would have been a pretty good selling point). Now I know I'll pay up as wiring a FM radio in front of the security camera at my dads house in Hampshire might be a little excessive.

If you think this is boring, spare a thought for the folks up here who want to watch Stu and Che play their internationals which isn't on BBC Scotland or STV and only available on viaplay while England games are shown to the locals on BBC so they can cheer "anyone but england"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ScandiSaint said:

Can someone kindly confirm if SaintsPlay (audio or video pass) works for people overseas?

Or do you need to change VPN to UK then try to stream/listen?

Thanks in advance 

Not sure its working for anyone at the moment but yes in theory you should be fine overseas without a VPN

Edited by Yorkshire Saint
  • Like 1

On 12/08/2023 at 15:07, Yorkshire Saint said:

Yeah same here... its looping to the video coverage and then responding as such.

I have just emailed saintsplaysupport@streamamg.com

I did wonder but no time to dig as the goals were rattling in.. reviews of KS... may explain some of the mess

What are the disadvantages of Kaltura?

Kaltura drawbacks

Reviewers note that the user interface is “clumsy,” that “there are a number of illogical omissions in their product capabilities,” and that some settings are “extremely difficult to customize.”

I don’t understand this that I cannot listen online without paying. Working away a lot I can’t access the commentary at all without paying. 
Which ever league hierarchy decided this in a media deal is nuts because people will just not bother. I am not paying to listen…..

Local radio commentary has been a bedrock for maintaining and promoting fans interest over decades - shame… 

• Like 2

There are certain services that sound a bit like I Pee Tea Vee  being sold now that include all IFollow Championship, Football League and National League Streams now, in addition to the usual stuff that comes on these services from Sky , Tnt and foreign sports. 

• Like 1

On 15/08/2023 at 23:15, captainchris said:

I don’t understand this that I cannot listen online without paying. Working away a lot I can’t access the commentary at all without paying. 
Which ever league hierarchy decided this in a media deal is nuts because people will just not bother. I am not paying to listen…..

Local radio commentary has been a bedrock for maintaining and promoting fans interest over decades - shame… 

Yup this particular part is really quite poor, and it's also do damaging to clubs because they will physically lose fan interest, revenue, and potentially future fans. Saints have avid fans all over the south west, and it will especially impact our fanbase in the EFL relative to a lot of others. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

On 16/08/2023 at 01:35, sotonjoe said:

There are certain services that sound a bit like I Pee Tea Vee  being sold now that include all IFollow Championship, Football League and National League Streams now, in addition to the usual stuff that comes on these services from Sky , Tnt and foreign sports. 

Are there now? I hope you don't post any mote details.

To be fair, we had to content with Saints Player charging about a fiver a month back in the Championship. So all this is nothing new. Absolutely agree that it does no good for retaining or cultivating a fan base when so many of us live away from Hampshire. I can't even get Radio Solent in Basingstoke FFS.

I would be grateful to anyone up for setting up a live stream on Youtube, Discord, Twitter (or whatever the hell it's called now) with their radio set to BBC Solent. After all, it's got to be better than the dodgiest stream of the lot, over on the official website.

On 16/08/2023 at 01:35, sotonjoe said:

What would the names of those I pee tea vee providers sound like? Struggling to find a reliable one now with all the crackdowns. 

As a starting point for a list of VPN locations to try, I guess it's any country which doesn't have a deal with the EFL. There is a list of these if you follow the link below.

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/may/how-to-watch-the-sky-bet-efl-play-off-semi-final-second-legs/

So countries like Luxembourg or Belgium might be worth trying. Having said that, I know @sifter already suggested Portugal didn't work and yet that's on the list, so maybe there's more to it. 

Edit - a few clubs like Wycombe and Swansea have kindly gone to the trouble of naming the unsold territories (also named 'dark markets' - sounds fun!) that do not have TV deals. I guess it might be easier for VPN users to use a relatively local location setting, so here's Wycombe's list for Europe:

• Albania
  • Cyprus
  • Faroe Islands
  • Gibraltar
  • Liechtenstein
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Romania
  • Ukraine

Hope that works for anyone on VPN.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a rookie question, but is there a way to see the full games afterwards? Also is it possible to rewind the live stream? I have no experience with iFollow and what you can do or not, but there are match days when you simply can't watch the stream live. Would be nice to see the games still. Is that too much to ask for Saints play?

Don't know why anybody in this day and age is paying through the roof for sky,bt etc. Only get handle of games when there's countless IPTV providers . Tenner a month and get every game going not to mention all the boxing ppvs and everything else. Can get them dirt cheap if you pay for a year but I prefer to pay monthly and if they get any issues just go to another one. Only on about 3rd one in 7/8 years so they're pretty reliable. Some of these overhyped boxing events are pushing 30 ppv that's 3 months of IPTV money covered in a night

10 hours ago, Cumbria Saint said:

I'm finally in a place I could watch the Leicester game which I believe is on Sky. I tried VPN back to UK for last Sky game but it wouldn't let me watch. Is their a way to watch from outside the UK?

I'm no expert but It may depend on the VPN , Nord seems to be good but others , which cost more , can allegedly give access to almost anything . A while back BBC blocked content in USA as they wanted people to subscribe to their channel , Nord seemed to work this year while Tunnel Bear didn't. It wouldn't cast to TV but that may be another issue . I suspect they are finding new ways to stop free access all the time .