Saints 2-1 QPR - Match Thread

whelk

15 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He had stopped play and was about to issue a yellow card so he was entitled to call it back. Most people in the stadium knew that it was a waste of a run.

Whether the ref should have anticipated and allowed for a free kick is a different question. Many will let the teams know their methods before kick off, something like “Quick free kicks are fine by me but if you bugger it up you’re on your own”.

Pretty sure the ref tried to play advantage but gestured the moving ball motion when he brought it back. Sekou Mara was just a bit too quick to take it and the ball was indeed still moving slightly when he played Fraser in.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, adrian lord said:

Been out all day in London doing a lot of stuff so only just catching up.

I am really pleased we’ve had/having a bloody good clear out, expunging the stagnation of the last few years - and we seem to be developing a very new team that we can really get behind, along with a manager who we can rally around, and we can enjoy this league. 

Hear hear Adrian Lord

• Like 2

15 hours ago, qwertyell said:

He had some stinkers last season too. If he bags a goal, his overall performance tends to get overlooked, but as a midfielder he can be a bit iffy: loose on the ball, reckless in the tackle, and generally indisciplined.

But he was signed as a rough diamond, so it's up to us to polish him up over time (if he stays here). It won't be plain sailing.

Same with Mara, to an extent. He was signed as 19 year old striker with not much experience but plenty of promise, yet people are ready to bin him off on the basis of one season in which the whole club was absolutely useless - and he was far from the biggest culprit. I thought he showed today, as he has here and there, that there's the makings of a player lurking beneath those dreadlocks. Needs some nurturing (maybe a lot), not knee-jerkingly sent to Coventry for being shite in a few cameos on the wing (which isn't even his position).

Won't be - and shouldn't be - our starting striker any time soon, but I hope he sticks around and builds on this game (and, according the manager, the Brentford game midweek in which he was "brilliant").

let's hope Mara can be like AA who has come good after two ifish seasons.

27 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

let's hope Mara can be like AA who has come good after two ifish seasons.

Armstrong we knew would be better in this league, Mara hasn’t shown anything to suggest he will

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Pretty sure the ref tried to play advantage but gestured the moving ball motion when he brought it back. Sekou Mara was just a bit too quick to take it and the ball was indeed still moving slightly when he played Fraser in.

Yep that’s exactly it, said it was a rolling ball.

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice Bella on the pitch at the end giving claps all round to the support? 
it looked to me ( Hope I’m wrong) that he was taking the chance to say goodbye to a full SMS if indeed he’s leaving this week. Hope I am wrong. He is going to be a good in I’m sure and I’d prefer he did it with us! 

Watching their goal on the highlights this morning I was surprised to see how many players were blocking Bazunu’s line of sight and in particular a QPR player who is well offside and directly in line with this view. Baz is left if centre but had to lean his head to the right to try and get a sight of the ball.

That is as clear a case of interfering as you could wish to see. The problem is that the official on the line is in the best place to judge offside but the worst place to judge interference of the goalkeeper’s view. That should be the referee’s job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Watching their goal on the highlights this morning I was surprised to see how many players were blocking Bazunu’s line of sight and in particular a QPR player who is well offside and directly in line with this view. Baz is left if centre but had to lean his head to the right to try and get a sight of the ball.

That is as clear a case of interfering as you could wish to see. The problem is that the official on the line is in the best place to judge offside but the worst place to judge interference of the goalkeeper’s view. That should be the referee’s job.

The VAR ref should’ve disallowed it. 

• Like 1

Things you miss when you are at the game - as mentioned above, the fact that their goal would have had a major offside enquiry in the Premier League, and more importantly, the quality of that save by Bazunu prior to their disallowed goal - top class save in a crowded box.

Edited by rallyboy
naughty fingers doing their own thing
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Appy said:

Armstrong we knew would be better in this league, Mara hasn’t shown anything to suggest he will

Despite scoring goals before, I didn't know AA would be better in this league and when he plays centre forward, I still think he's pretty shit and makes false runs, has no presence and doesn't have that poachers instinct of being in the right place at the right time. At Sheff Wed, he was non existent and same yesterday, up front in the first half he didn't do a lot.

However, once Mara came on and AA dropped back a bit he was a different player. Similarly, at Plymouth Argyle, he was superb playing behind the centre forward. Must admit, if he carries on like this, he'll go on the "must keep" list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Was going to say that last night but, to much beer would have made it unreadable!  

The assistant could have flagged for offside and then the ref could decide if he thought the Q.P.R no.30 was interfering with play or not. 

• Like 1

The QPR player didn't impact Bazunu's sight or motion at all and made no movement towards the ball. Perfectly fair goal and would certainly not have been overruled by VAR. Shite clearance from Armstrong, I think.

Just glad the lino noticed the offside for the disallowed "goal". Two observations on that: great save from Bazunu and the offside only occurred because Stephens was very quick to step up - he often gets his positioning wrong but that was good defending. The defending of the initial run from the player with the ball was pathetic though from Stu Amstrong and someone else.

Edited by benjii

3 hours ago, benjii said:

The QPR player didn't impact Bazunu's sight or motion at all and made no movement towards the ball. Perfectly fair goal and would certainly not have been overruled by VAR. Shite clearance from Armstrong, I think.

Just glad the lino noticed the offside for the disallowed "goal". Two observations on that: great save from Bazunu and the offside only occurred because Stephens was very quick to step up - he often gets his positioning wrong but that was good defending. The defending of the initial run from the player with the ball was pathetic though from Stu Amstrong and someone else.

You can see Bazunu trying to look around the striker so it’s clear he was in an offside position effecting the keepers line of sight 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, benjii said:

Are you sure that was Stephens? He went off after 25 minutes. We didn't score until the 30th. They didn't threaten until they scored shortly after.

It was Bednarek who stepped up.

For a team in transition with so many new players it was a satisfying win and I genuinely can't remember when I last saw a league win at home. There is plenty of scope for improvement and I expect to see it. There are deficiencies - Manning's lack of pace, for example, but what a lovely pass for the first goal. Alcaraz obviously didn't have a good game, but there was no lack of effort so I'm putting it down to lack of sharpness on coming back from injury. Good to see SAA starting and although he didn't make too much of an impact he's got his starting debut out the way and now knows what it's all about. Still think coming off the bench will be better with tiring full backs cursing under their breath.. Similarly with Edozie scoring, a bit of a weight off his back.

Talking of weight, Downes will probably be feeling even better next week when his digestive system stops grumbling. If Frazer keeps up his commitment and midfielders pick out more of his runs we may be pleasantly surprised.

Quite a number of issues to resolve: will KWP stay, what's happening with Che (or his replacement), will ABK and Sulemanna be staying? But at least we are up there in the table and that wasn't expected by everybody.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, benjii said:

The poor clearance was from Downes i think

If it was,  it was his only pass out of 115 that didn’t go to a Saints player 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Before you hail the arrival of the new Messi, most of Downes passes were short and safe, square and back.

....but Nathan Tela might be hailed as the new Jude Bellingham though, right?

• Like 1

On 27/08/2023 at 08:43, Sheaf Saint said:

I didn't watch the game so can't comment on his overall performance, but I did notice on the highlights there was a moment in the second half where he lost the ball after receiving a hospital pass from Bednarek, while surrounded by 3 QPR players, and he absolutely busted a gut to get back and attempt to block the resulting shot. I know it's only one moment, but it shows some steel and committment to me, and not the actions of someone who doesn't want to be here...

didn't get to see the game or follow it on here as was at Victorious festival, but the highlights seem to show quite a few very very good chances for QPR. Were we dominant, but they just happened to have these three or four good opportunities?

5 hours ago, oldsarum said:

The poor clearance was from Downes i think

If it was,  it was his only pass out of 115 that didn’t go to a Saints player 

the highlights back that up.

Glad he had a good game. Exactly what a relegated side like us needs - a player very close to Prem quality to come in and replace the `proven and desirable Prem players' (JWP etc.) going out. 

Though Bednerak was absolutely brilliant, lead by example and other than maybe 1 mistake early on, showed the diffence in experience / non experience of him and that Armstrong up top for them. 

Overall a pretty poor performance and we were lucky to get anything from it. 

Game changed when we brought on Mara and Fraser and allowed AA to drop deeper. 

We cannot play AA through the middle as a number 9. Nothing on him, but he's just not suited to it and it kills us. 

Was a rocky at times performance, so was really pleased to get out of there with the victory.

From the angle in the ground I am, it looked like an almost Bergkamp vs Newcastle touch by Armstrong for the second goal. Was hilarious when I saw it back that I was maybe a little off base. Great finish mind.

I've nothing against Manning as Martin obviously loves him and he's contributing really well with assists. The ball in-behind him is a worry though. QPR had a chance that almost mirrored Plymouths goal and he just seemed to have no recovery pace and was in a bad initial position.

I'm going to be contrarian and say whilst I think he did well at CB, the change of moving Charles back, actually impacted us for quite a while. He looked to already be dominating CM and I hope to see him in there more than at CB. He's going to be some player.

If we can get a result at Sunderland, that sets the Leicester game up really well.