Saints 2-1 QPR - Match Thread

whelk

10 points from 12 represents a great start but it is clear we need some quality in this week including a striker if we hope to sustain this. RF will become the first name on the team sheet especially once he has more game time under his belt.

• Like 4

A good win. But not a good performance really. I think QPR could be rightly disappointed. Its encouraging that were picking up points despite the obvious areas where we need to improve. The first team needs investment and players to come in and improve it. Thought Fraser, Downes and Arma did really well today.

• Like 2

Game over. 1st half (like last week) very meh. Alcaraz was poor and the team was slow. 1st 10 mins of the 2nd half was more of the same.

Very good changes by RM. Fraser looks pretty dynamic and A.Armstrong is MILES better playing slightly deeper. Feel we need a new CF (Sinclair Armstrong would be decent) if Adams is off.

Downes good, Charles good, S.Armstrong good.

QPR are pretty handy, and should have gone in front when they were on top...

• Like 2

Not a great performance. Fortunate QPR didn't take their chances. Got the 3 points though.

Looked a lot better with Armstrong deep and Mara up top. Shows how badly we need a striker who is going to carry a real goal threat.

We look very weak on the wing imo. Fraser is ok(if he was the upgrade to edozie it would be fine) but he looks a downgrade on what we've lost

I'll give A.Armstrong MOM for the finish but thought Bazanu made a couple of key saves at 1-1 too.

Get in.

Delighted to see such a performance from Edozie. Adam A was brilliant. Fraser was brilliant. Fuck me, even Baz was brilliant. Manning too! So nice getting a home win. And, hopefully, we should be getting another striker in to replace Che to add even more firepower!

We're gonna win the league!!!!

(we're not, but we're gonna be in the conversation, for sure).

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 2-1 QPR - Saturday 3pm

Great result given we largely played shite. So refreshing once again to see a Saints manager make changes that actually swing the game in our favour. Some big positives today from Bazunu, Armstrong, Downes, Charles and Fraser

• Like 1

Another win, thought the first half was poor but the second half much more solid. shout outs to Bazunu and A. Armstrong.

good changes from Martin, promising.

Overall, improvement needed. Also Edozie makes Fabrice Fernandes look like Nesta defensively.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Page 10 of this thread is classic SaintsWeb. 

We were pretty average until they hit the bar and then the subs were made. After that we were well in control.

Downes looks like an excellent signing. Fraser did well too considering his lack of match action.

Lovely goal by Adam Armstrong for the winner. 

My son's old GK coach used to say Begovic had a technical difficiency when diving to his left due to the way he plants a foot and he was right.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr X said:

Is this AA's level or is it more the fact that he now has a manager that believes in him?... Saying that he had enough games in the premier league to prove his worth and was pretty shocking 

It's probably his level to be honest. Nothing wrong with that as it's a high level in today's football. He's just not good enough to make it as a player in the Premier league.

• Like 7

That's two games in a row where Bazunu was very good. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Downes is almost like-for-like with JWP. Without Charles there, we missed a bit of steel in the middle. 

Adam Armstrong is getting better each game, I don't think he has enough goal power but his running and tackling is a real positive this season.

Edozie looked to be holding his hamstring a bit when he came off, hopefully he's ok. Shout out to Fraser who I though was very good when he came on. 

Now for the behind the desk team to get to work and sign a striker...

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

It's probably his level to be honest. Nothing wrong with that as it's a high level in today's football. He's just not good enough to make it as a player in the Premier league.

He has the ability to be a "Shane Long" if he adapts his game and accepts that finishing will never be his strong point in the Prem. 

Well, perhaps the luck is running our way this season - good result given we didn't play that well and were out-shot by QPR. It's clear that if we play this possession game that we need inventive players up front and a striker that really creates havoc and makes his own chances. We look ponderous in possession and get squeezed into the sidelines without outlets. Edozie running past his man first half but not the second. Tella makes so much sense in this set-up he''ll be a big miss. Need that Piroes wassisname or equivalent impressive striker that can head the ball. 

Ryan Fraser did well. Downes impressive. Stu solid. Bazunu did okay...not sure about his positioning for their goal, but it was a great shot. Adam Armstrong good in the No.10 role. 

Something to build on but we definitely need more up front.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

That's two games in a row where Bazunu was very good. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Downes is almost like-for-like with JWP. Without Charles there, we missed a bit of steel in the middle. 

Adam Armstrong is getting better each game, I don't think he has enough goal power but his running and tackling is a real positive this season.

Edozie looked to be holding his hamstring a bit when he came off, hopefully he's ok. Shout out to Fraser who I though was very good when he came on. 

Now for the behind the desk team to get to work and sign a striker...

Not quite "like-for-like" - he didn't score today.

We absolutely need some creativity in the final third and some people to finish chances. Alcaraz was a bit underwhelming for me but he may not have been fit. 

Bazunu deserves plaudits today for his performance, as does Edozie who I thought was great. Overall I thought we weren't great but a sign of a good team well managed is being able to win whilst not being great. A few more players in and we can forget about the ones who have sadly left. 

• Like 2

Good result there and a lot of decent individual performances. A very interesting things we’ve learned:

• Lyanco and ABK are almost certainly off. If neither can get on the pitch/bench when Stephens is injured then they clearly aren’t in our plans.
  • The rumours around Tella and Adams appear to be confirmed.
  • We have plenty of wide options even without anyone else replacing Tella.
  • AA is good at this level but not a number 9. We’re definitely lacking a proper CF.
  • SAA isn’t ready to start yet.
  • Baz is more than good enough for the way we want to play.
  • Our style of football is perfect for keeping the ball after we’ve just scored and yet we seem to struggle with that, especially at home.
  • All our signings have added something. Fraser, Downes and Charles looked excellent today.
  • Like 30

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-1 QPR - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic