Darren Mowbray

saintant

We were led to believe he'd be living out of a suitcase and clocking up air miles as he scoured the globe for the talented footballers who would enhance our squad.  Yet we signed not one player from abroad and most we did bring in were already known to either RM or JW. More money for old rope by the looks of things.

• Haha 1

In fairness, when was he appointed? Certainly wouldn't have had many games to watch to form a decent judgement on someone this window - proof will be in the pudding in the coming windows, I'd imagine. 

I'd rather we went for players we know, than throwing cash at someone we've watched in pre-season or 1 / 2 games. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dman said:

In fairness, when was he appointed? Certainly wouldn't have had many games to watch to form a decent judgement on someone this window - proof will be in the pudding in the coming windows, I'd imagine. 

I'd rather we went for players we know, than throwing cash at someone we've watched in pre-season or 1 / 2 games. 

Joined on 1st July.

2 hours ago, Dman said:

You’d hope he started looking at players before we appointed him. 

it’s kind of his thing, yes?

Also hoped he had a bank of names at the least that have caught his eye previously in his previous recruitment role that Aberdeen weren't able to finance a move for.

Instead, he didn't seem to contribute/have any influence or say on anything over the summer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saintant said:

We were led to believe he'd be living out of a suitcase and clocking up air miles as he scoured the globe for the talented footballers who would enhance our squad.  Yet we signed not one player from abroad and most we did bring in were already known to either RM or JW. More money for old rope by the looks of things.

I certainly stopped believing Manji a long time ago

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Maybe that's because literally everything at the club is being badly run- or perhaps you think we're being run like a well oiled machine.

Yes that’s exactly it, I think literally everything at the club is being well-run 👍🏻

We’ve lost four games and after hysterically moaning on for days on end across various threads, you’re now turning your pitchfork on a recruitment guy who has been at the club for just under 12 weeks

Not entirely sure if you were expecting him to single-handedly turn us into a talent factory in such a short amount of time, but it’s been obvious since the beginning of forever that the person who leads the scouting network is not solely responsible for transfers at any club, let alone when they’re at a club they joined midway through a summer where plans were already in place and large-scale turnover was in the pipeline

And if you did believe that he was solely responsible for the recruitment, then I don’t understand why signing UK players would be an immediate negative, nor do I understand why we’d be casting final judgements on players who have not even been around long enough to make 10 appearances for the club. In fact, many of them are yet to play five games for Saints 

Recruitment personnel are and should be judged across windows and seasons, not days and weeks

But if it helps you feel better, you’re of course more than welcome to keep finding things to piss your pants about on a daily basis 

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, saintant said:

Maybe that's because literally everything at the club is being badly run- or perhaps you think we're being run like a well oiled machine.

The point is, you don't know that at all.

If we'd won four in a row would you be starting threads about how shit Darren Mowbray is? I am guessing no, you wouldn't.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Remember when we were linked with him as a manager in the summer? I don't remember that being particularly popular.

expectations have somewhat changed. We weren't expecting to be in a fight to stay in the league in the summer..