Watford 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

goodymatt

6 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

How weird walking to the ground was listening to 2 Watford fans talking said they didn’t think they were good enough to hold onto a 1 nil win!

Watford apart from few crosses didn’t look much apart from goal scorer who ran game for them. One shot hit post can’t think of anything else troubled Lumley. Poor wall was problem just one player?

As others said once we had pace, width and players that could pass and move we were a different side.

I was worried Fraser had pulled muscle soon after came on but looked to have stretched it off. 
For replay we should have Bree and Ezozie back too.

Yes, saw Fraser seem to hobble, after a long sprint down the wing, thought oh no at the time, but seemed to run it off luckily. Thought Sam Ameyaw  looked very very good. He is going to be one hell of a player, one of those ‘ enjoy him while he’s here’. The Ref seemed appalling, but that was from a perspective of watching live from the southampton end. From anyone watching a stream, was he poor?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

This result shows exactly why playing a hugely changed side is a waste of time. Instead of going out or winning we now have yet another game we probably did not want or need. FFS, play the first team from the start and then change it later if we are winning else what is the point? We just end up stressed and fighting back and then next week at Rotherham maybe we will have lost our rhythm. It is totally counter productive.

It is NOT totally counterproductive.

Sure we learn from wins but you insinuate we learn nothing from defeats learn nothing from tough draws. Often the defeats and the tough draws teach us more than the easy wins. About players about styles about a whole bunch of things. The match result is merely ONE of the the many objectives - team coaches and individual players - set out for each Saints match, albeit the most important one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Marky said:

Yes, saw Fraser seem to hobble, after a long sprint down the wing, thought oh no at the time, but seemed to run it off luckily. Thought Sam Ameyaw  looked very very good. He is going to be one hell of a player, one of those ‘ enjoy him while he’s here’. The Ref seemed appalling, but that was from a perspective of watching live from the southampton end. From anyone watching a stream, was he poor?

The ref was Michael Salisbury, who we had a number of times last season and was always dreadful. Awful referee.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Yep, looked like an unfit 2022 version of Aribo traipsing around the pitch. Really slow, looked overweight and knackered when he came off.

Though Sam AA had a great cameo

Rothwell either isn’t ready in which case why is he playing or he’s pretty crap…. He was hiding for most of the game… Lose a stone might help… Certainly shouldn’t be on the pitch again until he is much more up to speed.

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

The ref was Michael Salisbury, who we had a number of times last season and was always dreadful. Awful referee.

Not sure there any reasons to complain about his performance on Sunday. 

30 minutes ago, Chez said:

Massive inconsistency with cards, missed some obvious fouls -  apart from that, he had a great game.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Chez said:

I felt there were a few obvious fouls he didn't seem to give us, but then gave some soft ones for Watford. 

Edited by Pamplemousse

50 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Massive inconsistency with cards, missed some obvious fouls -  apart from that, he had a great game.

I swear one of their players threw the ball at one of ours after he gave us a free kick? The ref was looking straight at it and didn't bat an eyelid. He was terrible. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, david in sweden said:

What player wouldn't want to play against Liverpool.  For those young players (and there were quite a few out there on Sunday), it may be yet

another chance for some of them to get game time.  Russell Martin was right to choose the "untried " lads - even for 60 minutes, as Watford 

are a tough, uncompromising side - even without their best players, and our youngsters got a first-hand taste of "men's football".   

Meghoma tried hard - though he was bounced about like a beach ball, whilst Hoedt and company showed no mercy on our lightweight forward line.

Admittedly, the start side looked unbalanced for quite a while, and a lot of simple passes went astray but if we get past Watford is the first priority, 

but even our seasoned pro's. will want to play at Anfield,  and with the chance of advancement another round in the Cup - who knows what may follow?.

Liverpool will need to keep their best players for Prem. games and try to retain their position at the top of the table,  PLUS one wonders ...what effect

Klopp's recent shock announcement may have on their dressing room in the upcoming period ?   

Remember 1976 against a superior Man Utd side? Thank god some of you doomsayers and may as well give up merchants weren’t in charge back then 🙄.

i mean last year - cup is irrelevant it’s about staying in the prem. This year cup is irrelevant as we are in the hunt for promotion…When exactly should we try in it then?!

I give you Leicester and Wigan in more recent times. 
Bet they’re glad they bothered..!

Edited by vectraman

33 minutes ago, vectraman said:

Remember 1976 against a superior Man Utd side? Thank god some of you doomsayers and may as well give up merchants weren’t in charge back then 🙄.

i mean last year - cup is irrelevant it’s about staying in the prem. This year cup is irrelevant as we are in the hunt for promotion…When exactly should we try in it then?!

Any other year when we’re not in a precarious position with regards to next season’s league. Like all the other years before last, when we had three cup semis and a final. Leicester were a top six club when they won it and Wigan was a one off fluke. 

Was told to take our flag down within minutes of putting it up on the netting at the front, steward said no flags were allowed in the away end due to the troubles in Israel & Palestine, i asked him politely (Not) to turn round and explain why there were hundreds of flags in the home end, he had no answer !!  Absolute double standards.

2 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

Any idea when the replay tickets go on sale nothing on the website yet. A bit slow by us????

Very tight turnaround, particularly the logistics of posting thousands of tickets in our postal system, considering the match is either next Tuesday/Wednesday. 

14 hours ago, vectraman said:

Of course we remember 1976 (those of us who are old enough)...who could forget, but It was a very disappointing League season in the end.

Despite being 4th after Christmas, we were let down by a long row of single-goal defeats, and won only 6 games in the second half of the season.

Our 1-0 victory at Pompey was our only win in the last 8 away fixtures

We finished a poor 6th,  just 4 points adrift of the 3 promoted sides, and with only champions Sunderland gaining more wins than we did. 

Historically, Saints have had a long list of giant-killing Cup wins over many decades, whilst (sadly) often falling at the quarter / semi-final stage.

The fact remains that it is a Cup competition and we are committed to playing games as long as we continue to win the games.

Almost every Saints fan must surely see us as promotion contenders, but if anyone thinks the Cup is less important.... then let's pick a team 

of  17/18 year olds  for the Watford replay... get well and truly beaten ... and get it over and done with ...and then " concentrate on the League ". 

The thought of playing another Cup match at Anfield brings back memories for many after we beat  L'pool (twice) in the League Cup some years ago,

and the lure of another Cup game against them... is surely a one-off chance for every player (and fan) to really savour the occasion.    

1 hour ago, SaintNewForest said:

I imagine they're waiting on tv picks before confirming the final date. 

I remember in the good old days they'd publish replay ticket details at the first match " in the event this game goes to a replay it will be played on x date, these will be the ticket details" etc. 

So much faffing around with fixtures now. 

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

You have until 1230 tomorrow if you want to sit in your own seat.

Maybe the prices are as they are because they are the same as the original game at Watford?

Seems reasonable enough to me.

Have to pay stewards, catering, staff so about right I think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

You have until 1230 tomorrow if you want to sit in your own seat.

Maybe the prices are as they are because they are the same as the original game at Watford?

Seems reasonable enough to me.

You're right mate, teams need to agree on pricing I think so makes sense they used same as first game at Watford. 

No incentive to buy in advance though, will probably decide on the day 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JRM said:

You're right mate, teams need to agree on pricing I think so makes sense they used same as first game at Watford. 

No incentive to buy in advance though, will probably decide on the day 

Wonder how many they'll bring? A couple of thousand would be a good effort for a midweek game where the winner goes out in the next round.

15 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Wonder how many they'll bring? A couple of thousand would be a good effort for a midweek game where the winner goes out in the next round.

I thought they might bring quite a few, FA cup etc, we'd have taken full 4000 at their place even in a replay so surprised they've only taken smaller section. 

Most likely 2000 Watford at best though. 

34 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Anyone else only getting option to collect tickets at St Mary's??  No option to print!!

Yeah had the same… was going to wait till tomorrow & try again because there is no way I am braving the Ticket Office. 😂

On 27/01/2024 at 02:19, for_heaven's_Saint said:

I’m pretty sure Bayer Leverkusen are unbeaten all season, including in the Europa league. Must be getting on for 30 games. 

Did Nathan Tella play in a losing Saints side or has he not played for a losing side all season, he must be enjoying that if it the case!

Edited by HnycS