Watford 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

goodymatt

Just now, GrumpyYorkshireSaint said:

undeserved draw but will take it as the run continues

they were the better side by far in the first, we were the better side by far in the second. I can live with a draw.Seems fair to me.

• Like 6

Just now, GrumpyYorkshireSaint said:

undeserved draw but will take it as the run continues

Only undeserved because of the team we played. If we played the team who ended the game from the start we would have been comfortable winners. I accept we have to give players a chance, it was just a shame to start with that midfield especially. 

• Like 2

Oh well unbeaten run continues. Put Watford out at St Marys and see what they cam do at Liverpool.

Not convinced the club needs this distraction but plenty of games for bench players to get involved with.

Just hope RM doesn't make so many changes for the replay. I don't think that's helpful.

Edited by macca155
  • Like 2

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Only undeserved because of the team we played. If we played the team who ended the game from the start we would have been comfortable winners. I accept we have to give players a chance, it was just a shame to start with that midfield especially. 

We were not comfortable winners the last time we played our best side at theirs 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Exactly, could have won comfortably with the first eleven, saved an extra game and still gave game time to some of the youngsters towards the end.

Just now, Challenger said:

Exactly, could have won comfortably with the first eleven, saved an extra game and still gave game time to some of the youngsters towards the end.

And we have another game to both extend the unbeaten and give a few more chances for some youngsters (hopefully midfield will be a bit stronger.)

• Lighthouse changed the title to Watford 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

A creditable draw considering how poor we were for about an hour. When the 4 subs came on it was like someone had flicked a switch. It just emphasises how good our first team players are because our football after that was night and day compared to the rubbish before. Great goal by Stu and we looked the team most likely to get a winner. Now go and beat these in the replay and the Liverpool game is a free hit. However, if we do get through I'd like to see us field a strong side at Anfield and have a right good go at them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Challenger said:

We were miles better than Watford in the last 15 minutes with our better players on.

Watford stronger, pacier and more likely in the first two thirds of the game.

Our even more changed team than theirs, got the possession Martin would have been looking for, even though we weren't causing them any problems. The goal looked like a set up error. A soft one to be behind with and they didn't take anything from their other opportunities.

There were a couple of frustrated looking players, with the way we were playing. THB in particular was not looking happy.

All about the Subs. The Big Guns came on, and showed their class. Stu, AA and Fraser's technical ability, compusure and work rate just better than anything else on the park. It almost looked as though they weren;t going to get enough time. Our control was becoming more and more, but it did take some time to turn around the game's momentum of those first two thirds.

Credit also for SAA who, not coincidentally, was making Tella-like runs on the right. And Will Smallbone who was an extra player in most of the positions on the park when he was on. Right back, DM, AM and picking up a strikers spot at one point. He got the whole team playing with structure, pushing Watford back.

A replay. Our unbeaten run continues. A number of players will have seen their current level, and agianst their replacements, will know what they have to do to get further opportunities. Some who did not go off, will have seen what they have to do to help change a game.

We're now looking at 8 games in February (if we win the replay) rather than 6. Hope these extra games don't prove too much of a distraction/ fitness drain. I know this'll upset certain quarters of the Saintsweb intelligentsia, but I reckon a narrow defeat today would've been preferable to a replay and then a possible 5th round game oop north sandwiched midweek between two important league games....

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Watford stronger, pacier and more likely in the first two thirds of the game.

Our even more changed team than theirs, got the possession Martin would have been looking for, even though we weren't causing them any problems. The goal looked like a set up error. A soft one to be behind with and they didn't take anything from their other opportunities.

There were a couple of frustrated looking players, with the way we were playing. THB in particular was not looking happy.

All about the Subs. The Big Guns came on, and showed their class. Stu, AA and Fraser's technical ability, compusure and work rate just better than anything else on the park. It almost looked as though they weren;t going to get enough time. Our control was becoming more and more, but it did take some time to turn around the game's momentum of those first two thirds.

Credit also for SAA who, not coincidentally, was making Tella-like runs on the right. And Will Smallbone who was an extra player in most of the positions on the park when he was on. Right back, DM, AM and picking up a strikers spot at one point. He got the whole team playing with structure, pushing Watford back.

A replay. Our unbeaten run continues. A number of players will have seen their current level, and agianst their replacements, will know what they have to do to get further opportunities. Some who did not go off, will have seen what they have to do to help change a game.

Agree about Smallbone. There are quite a few on here who don't see what he brings to the side but, for me, he is one of the most crucial cogs to the wheel.

• Like 10

It's hard for squad players when they are brought into to a side with wholesale changes to the first XI.

Hard to really gauge what sort of performance each would give if just replacing one player in the team.

For example look at Alcaraz today. Was very poor in possession for the most part. Then the subs come on and suddenly he looks much better because people are all doing their expected jobs at the right time.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, trousers said:

We're noww looking at 8 games in February (if we win the replay) rather than 6. Hope these extra games don't prove too much of a distraction/ fitness drain. I know this'll upset certain quarters of the Saintsweb intelligentsia, but I reckon a narrow defeat today would've been preferable to a replay and then a possible 5th round game oop north sandwiched midweek between two important league games....

We are going to need our Injured players back sharpish because there's not too many out there today I'd like to rely on. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We have the hardest set of games from the season coming up in a few weeks.

No we don’t. End of March is the hardest set of games. Sunderland and Middlesbrough home Leicester and Ipswich away 

• Like 3

Not really been commented on but Smallbone made a huge difference when we came on.  Seriously underrated player: we took control of midfield once he came on.

Hopefully for the replay not as many changes - but keeping the unbeaten run going is impressive.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, washsaint said:

Not really been commented on but Smallbone made a huge difference when we came on.  Seriously underrated player: we took control of midfield once he came on.

Hopefully for the replay not as many changes - but keeping the unbeaten run going is impressive.

He’s fantastic, we are so much better with him in the team

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Yes, from WBA until start of April. 

WBA is tough but then back to back home games against Hull and Millwall should be 6 points. March is tricky. We should be taking 14-15 points from February games. 

Jesus, the amount of nonsense which gets posted on here during a game never ceases to amaze me.

First half was disjointed and a bit messy, the players didn't really know where to pass the ball as the was no real link up and somewhat expected due to the amount of changes and debuts on show. The critical way of playing how we play is players making the space, being available to receive the pass, knowing where to be etc - if you don't do that, you look crap and you are prone to constantly giving the ball away. 

Dibling was really poor I thought. I know he's young, but he's not experienced or 'good' enough yet to stroll around like he did. He didn't offer any passing angles and we were so blunt because of that.

The difference in both Mara and Alcaraz once we brought on better players, who knew the system, around them was stark. Immediately Alcaraz had space, players available for the pass etc. Some of the hate spewed towards Alcaraz was just baffling I thought, I think he must have stolen Bad Wolfs girlfriend or something.

2nd half was much better though. Draw is a fair result, age old saying of a game of two halves and all that. Could do without another game, but we're not the only side with a replay.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

keeping the unbeaten run going is a massive positive

Am I the only one who isn't too fussed about the unbeaten run, per se. Yes, of course it's not a bad thing, but we could go unbeaten for the rest of the season and still not get promoted. I'd rather get promoted without an unbeaten run than not promoted with one. In other words, give me 2 wins and a defeat over 1 win and 2 draws (using a 3 game run as an example) each and every time. (Yes, I know that the unbeaten run breeds confidence and keeps momentum going, but it doesn't necessarily increase our chances of promotion, especially if we end up drawing too many games...)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Excellent, an extra game to try and add to our unbeaten run (before losing to Liverpool and we start talking about just the league run).

I really hope we can win the replay, chance to visit Anfield and pay our respects to the great Jurgen Klopp before he departs. 

• Haha 3