Ipswich 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

1 minute ago, obelisk said:

So who is going to hand Ipswich a way back into this game? Hard to believe this lot are challenging for top of the table but isn't that what we said back in September?

93min equaliser inbound

Well on top.

Obviously they'll change things up in the second half, can Martin see it and respond accordingly?

Stuart Armstrong has been superb, when he plays like this he's Premier league quality.

Even Che has done well. Need to keep this up. The ref is getting a lot of stick from the locals, so hopefully he doesn't crumble.

68% possession away against the team that were top of the table, that's impressive.

Very good half of football from us. We have outclassed Ipswich and left them chasing shadows. Unfortunately we only lead by a goal so must keep it going. The next goal is going to be crucial. Thought Baz should have done better with their goal. Aribo has been superb.

• Like 1

Just now, obelisk said:

So who is going to hand Ipswich a way back into this game?

I know I'm sounding like a scratched record but the timing of our 2nd half subs will be crucial. I think Russ is one of those managers that sometimes likes to make subs because they can rather than because we need to. Keep this 11 going for as long as possible IMO

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

He's disgusting to watch aesthetically but the ball is glued to him and his telescopic legs

He’s a funny one. Technically he’s really good but he looks quite awkward and lethargic at times. Been very good today and had been the last few times he’s started. Again strange he seems to be in and out the side. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

I know I'm sounding like a scratched record but the timing of our 2nd half subs will be crucial. I think Russ is one of those managers that sometimes likes to make subs because they can rather than because we need to. Keep this 11 going for as long as possible IMO

Stu is playing like a demon. But there will come a time when he's all out of gas; and he's done a lot of high speed running that half. I think he'll be replaced by Rothwell on 65 mins. Hopefully with the game won already...

Martin will be pleased with that.

The usual bags of possession. Created a decent number of chances, if not lots of near ones. And clinical with the ones we got on target for a change.

Stephens very mobile, picking up KWP's attacking position, supporting the midfield and also picking up some of Smallbone's attacking tasks. That will be pretty knackering, so he may be one of the ones to come off later. After Ipswich's goal, I think we've settled into the changes well.

Also without Will, we've given up some of that trying to create passing angles through the middle. Honestly, it's not been clicking for a little while. Stephens isn;pt the best at it either, so with him playing, RM has made a fair enough call in by passing it. Besides, they've not played a high line, so we've been able to get the ball out more directly to the flanks anyway.

Aribo manages himself really well. I moan about the times he passes back. I'm wondering if he looks at the forward pass, realises he'd have to race forward to get on the end of a return for not much advantage, and picks another option. Because he has been mobile. He has raced into good positions. And his strength paid off in weighted passes, holding players off for assists and tackles at the back.

With an experienced line up, Fraser and Stu have linked up well. Well enough that Ipswich were worried about it, allowing Stu to instead pick out AA on the other flank for the goal.

Good to see Che do what he always does, and get hsi head down and try. So a good reward for that. Again, this set up suits him a bit more anyway. He's got Aribo, Downes and Stephens to provide steel behind him, and AA and Fraser scaring their full backs. Leaving Stu to pick out osme nice passes, and pick up the bit and pieces.

Stamina will be interestign second half. Both teams have put a lot in, and rely on their work rate. Subs could well make quite a bit of difference today. Outr bench is strong, but we went backwards last time out with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Stu is playing like a demon. But there will come a time when he's all out of gas; and he's done a lot of high speed running that half. I think he'll be replaced by Rothwell on 65 mins. Hopefully with the game won already...

Rothwell for Stu was what was missing on Friday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He’s a funny one. Technically he’s really good but he looks quite awkward and lethargic at times. Been very good today and had been the last few times he’s started. Again strange he seems to be in and out the side. 

The pass to Che for the goal was sublime. More of that please .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Just wondering, but was that first half because of Martin and his team selection and tactics, or in spite of him? Asking for a friend. 

You do get the impression they were set up to attack and defend KWP, and now they are defending Aribo who is an entirely different kettle of fish. Plus we have more height in the back four to meet their aerial threat. It's working so far 🤞

I suspect Ipswich will try to press us higher up the pitch in the second half. They've largely allowed us to play out from the back with no real pressure from them so I expect that to change. If so we need to be prepared to go long at times rather than inviting pressure.

1 minute ago, SaintsBarry74 said:

Great rebound, need to keep the pressure. Baz again our weak link, poor at their goal. Need to put in a shift to prevent them from getting a shot past our shit keeper.

So you’re just going to ignore his distribution, playing through their forward line when they press forward and finding our players up the pitch? The fact that both our goals started with him collecting the ball and distributing it forward quickly, whilst Ipswich were still up the field is irrelevant to you? You don’t think the shot against him being an unmarked howitzer from inside the box has any bearing on the goal?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

So you’re just going to ignore his distribution, playing through their forward line when they press forward and finding our players up the pitch? The fact that both our goals started with him collecting the ball and distributing it forward quickly, whilst Ipswich were still up the field is irrelevant to you? You don’t think the shot against him being an unmarked howitzer from inside the box has any bearing on the goal?

Stop talking so much sense. 

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Yes, but apart from that what has Bazunu ever done for us?

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Adams gave a stern look back as the ball was pinged forward far too hard. Seconds later we battle and win in the middle. AA and Che part of the attack, and swithc over. Adams not shot not cross bothers no one. Momentum made him try, when a trade mark cut back more of an option.

Wilcox thing as posted above. Disputing a buy out clause. Wilcox has resigned apparently.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ipswich 3-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic