Leeds 1-2 Southampton - Match Thread

Dman

35 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Hope all the people advocating a rotated/weakened side aren’t the first ones to bemoan the result if we lose. 

The result of this game is immaterial.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, saintant said:

The result of this game is immaterial.

"Yeah, but the players that don't play will get all demoralised if the players that do play lose badly....it happened once in 2003 so its bound to happen again, innit..."

Or some other illogical non sequitur.... ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

But the performance isn’t.

If it's a different team to the one that starts in the playoffs then the performance is immaterial too....

#liketalkingtoabrickwall ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Looking forward to seeing Ross Stewart play at some point tomorrow. Didn’t see too much of him in his 2 little cameos before injury. If he’s actually fit for these upcoming playoff games he may be a useful option as he is an out and out CF and we have nobody else that fits that criteria.

Interesting debate on the team selection. I’d agree with the half way house approach that Martin alluded to in his presser. Give all key players some managed minutes. Lock Downes up in a padded cell so he can’t hurt himself until next Sunday. KWP would be the other one I might leave out altogether, not been as good since his return from injury and the rest might be helpful.

The worry about momentum going into the playoffs is a reasonable one. Other than Huddersfield, there aren’t many examples of teams going into the playoffs and winning them after losing 3 or 4 on the bounce. They did that without scoring a goal themselves too.

Leeds have to get the job done tomorrow so I expect it will be a defeat for us. 3-1 Leeds.

• Like 2

Can’t see Ross S being played CF unless he comes on later for Che - more likely.  RM played him oh the right wing if I remember rightly and he looked somewhat lost in that position, so let’s hope that doesn’t happen but I wouldn’t surprised by any weird formation he dreams up to be fair. If he’s got any sense he’ll play some youngsters and save the more experienced players for the high pressure of the play-offs (which we’ll lose).

Can’t see our lads being anything like up for the fight at Elland Rd and it would serve our greater purpose to lose to Leeds, so expecting a careful, high percentage possession game as per usual with no goal threat, with Leeds doing us for pace and flair. 3-0 Leeds. Shame for the travelling fans.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2024 at 10:57, trousers said:

Yep, I'm leaning that way too. As you allude to, there are potential pros and cons of either approach to be fair, but I agree that the risks associated with playing a full strength team outweigh the risks of playing a weaker team, in my opinion. 

I get the train of thought that says we don't want to go into the playoffs on the back of another defeat, but if that defeat is as a result of resting several key players then that shouldn't impact the team's mentality going into the playoff games as they'll know the context behind the defeat and as such it shouldn't be demoralising. 

What will be demoralising is if we play a strong side and still end up losing...

Logic says we should rule out that eventually and playing a weakened side is the only way to ensure that... 

Judging by recent results have we got a strong side whoever gets picked?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I may be wrong, but if we lose we don’t see them in the play-offs?

That would require Huddersfield beating Ipswich on their patch, which is pretty much not going to happen.

3 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I may be wrong, but if we lose we don’t see them in the play-offs?

I'd rather face a team we've already beaten this season than a team who has done the double over us.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Can’t see Ross S being played CF unless he comes on later for Che - more likely.  RM played him oh the right wing if I remember rightly and he looked somewhat lost in that position, so let’s hope that doesn’t happen but I wouldn’t surprised by any weird formation he dreams up to be fair. If he’s got any sense he’ll play some youngsters and save the more experienced players for the high pressure of the play-offs (which we’ll lose).

Can’t see our lads being anything like up for the fight at Elland Rd and it would serve our greater purpose to lose to Leeds, so expecting a careful, high percentage possession game as per usual with no goal threat, with Leeds doing us for pace and flair. 3-0 Leeds. Shame for the travelling fans.

for once  we have a striker who is over 6 feet tall, so ...why wouldn't we play him at CF ?  We've lacked height up front since Pelle left.

.... as long as we have wingers / attacking FB's who can centre the ball and not have to play the ball on the ground, perhaps we will see a headed goal.... 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Looking forward to seeing Ross Stewart play at some point tomorrow. Didn’t see too much of him in his 2 little cameos before injury. If he’s actually fit for these upcoming playoff games he may be a useful option as he is an out and out CF and we have nobody else that fits that criteria.

Interesting debate on the team selection. I’d agree with the half way house approach that Martin alluded to in his presser. Give all key players some managed minutes. Lock Downes up in a padded cell so he can’t hurt himself until next Sunday. KWP would be the other one I might leave out altogether, not been as good since his return from injury and the rest might be helpful.

The worry about momentum going into the playoffs is a reasonable one. Other than Huddersfield, there aren’t many examples of teams going into the playoffs and winning them after losing 3 or 4 on the bounce. They did that without scoring a goal themselves too.

Leeds have to get the job done tomorrow so I expect it will be a defeat for us. 3-1 Leeds.

........but that would be a hollow victory ...... even if Ipswich only get one point. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Lumley

Bree - Stephens - Lawrence - Meghoma 

Charles - Bragg

Rothwell - Brooks

Dibling - Amo-Ameyaw 

Leeds 4 Saints 2

Bring on the playoffs!

Edited by trousers

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

Lumley

Bree - Stephens - Lawrence - Meghoma 

Charles - Bragg

Rothwell - Brooks

Dibling - Amo-Ameyaw 

Leeds 4 Saints 2

Bring on the playoffs!

That team would get mullered I fear. I would stick with McCarthy, he’s the one we are going forward with and needs the game time.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

That team would get mullered I fear.

Probably, but there's every chance a 'full strength' starting 11 would do too given, I suspect, the natural instinct of those players wouldn't be to bust a gut because they've got one eye on the playoffs.  

Either way, I'd imagine the Leeds players will take their foot off the pedal as the game progresses due to Ipswich probably being out of sight by half time, when their natural self-preservation instincts will also kick in.

P.s. Good point regarding McCarthy. Yep, on reflection, probably best he plays given his lack of game time this season, if he's going to be the 1st choice keeper for the playoffs. 

Edited by trousers

Wouldn't it be nice if Ipswich lost, but we beat Leeds to deny them. Then beat them in the playoff final, to deny them a second time. 

Nothing against Leeds, but would be funny.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Ipswich lost, but we beat Leeds to deny them. Then beat them in the playoff final, to deny them a second time. 

Nothing against Leeds, but would be funny.

That suggests us winning 3 out of the next 4 games.

Just now, trousers said:

Madness picking Downes IMO but hey ho....

He'll need to reestablish match fitness and sharpness to be of any use in the playoffs. No good keeping him safe if he comes back a yard off the pace. Presumably he'll get an hour or so then Charles will come on.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

He'll need to reestablish match fitness and sharpness to be of any use in the playoffs. No good keeping him safe if he comes back a yard off the pace. Presumably he'll get an hour or so then Charles will come on.

Fair point. Pros and cons (and risks) either way though.

Edited by trousers

I think sensible to play basically our strongest 11. We need to play into some form ahead of the play offs. 

Madness to just not play people thinking they might get injured. They need to be match fit, not just in storage.

Next game over a week away anyway.

Would be lovely to see Stewart on the pitch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, waylander said:

3 at the back?

Just now, gammon cheeks said:

5 3 2 surely

A bit head-scratchy that it seems Russ is trying out a brand new formation in the last game of the season....?

Posted (edited)

Poor decision- if KWP, bednarek, THB, Downes, Armstrong or Adams get injured that’s on Martin. Should have played a second string

Edited by Sir Ralph
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

So do we think he will play 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 ?

Would be odd to pick 4 wingers on the bench if that was the plan.

So can we expect Jack to play on the opposite wing to Arma?

God only knows

Just now, trousers said:

A bit head-scratchy that it seems Russ is trying out a brand new formation in the last game of the season....?

It's a free hit. May as well try something new, see if anything works and throw Leeds off the scent, should we meet them at Wembley.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds 1-2 Southampton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic