higginbotham to return?

lordswoodsaints

just heard from one of my sources in the media that saints have had a bid for higginbotham rejected.

the source is normally pretty reliable and i have no reason not to believe him,but i must say does he really fit into the new dutch revolution if true?

anybody know if all the KJ money has been paid up or is this going to be the payoff?

have to say i would be happy with him returning and he seems to like the red and white stripes...........saints,stoke,sunderland and saints again?

'more normal circumstances' being not able to tackle give away silly freekicks and penalties and of course the one thing I will remeber him for those continous long hoofs up the feil to nowehere? I would not take him back on a free unless someone paid his wages, even then I would need convincing. Never liked him as a player, if you can't tell!

Not the kind of player we require. Beat himself too often against quite ordinary forwards. With good support players around him he's ok, but he'd come into a Saints team being considered as the class of the field. Not in my book. If he was half the defender Svensson is I might consider it a good idea. Leave well alone.

You start a thread stating Higginbotham is to return, and the very first line says the bid is rejected, presumably that means he won't return then....

did you not see the ?,and just because a bid is rejected it doesnt mean that a deal is dead.

everything might be black and white in the world of WSS but this is real life.

Not the kind of player we require. Beat himself too often against quite ordinary forwards. With good support players around him he's ok, but he'd come into a Saints team being considered as the class of the field. Not in my book. If he was half the defender Svensson is I might consider it a good idea. Leave well alone.

Agreed.

did you not see the ?,and just because a bid is rejected it doesnt mean that a deal is dead.

everything might be black and white in the world of WSS but this is real life.

LOL.

I can just see Keane with his Chairman "I know we rejected the bid from SFC, but I was only kidding, we'll let Higgy go on Friday" :rolleyes:

Also Wolves's bid of £1.5m has also been rejected. What are we offering? Maybe it's all those Yorkies that went missing from the coffee and a Yorkie deal last season.....

I can't see it happening myself, interesting that we must have some money to spend though. I think Higgingbotham would be a decent signing if he did come, he's certainly better than Perry and Thomas and he could do a job at left back if we're short.

Maybe we're looking for a Surman replacement...

I would have jumped at the chance to have him back last season when we were fighting for our lives in a relegation scrap - even though at left back Higgie invariably played the opposition on side.

But things have moved on and the emphasis this season is on ball-playing younger players with a few old hands to back them up (Killer, Perry, Wootten, Euell etc).

Don't want him back. Good honest player who gives 100% but the number of times he makes a simple mistake and ends up either scoring an own goal or giving one away.

Also, I really do not see him as a "Footballing" defender. He has average pace for a left back and isn't tall enough for a centre half and his distribution, while better than a Benali, is not up to what sounds like our new standards.

People talk about Bernard and Davenport etc but for me Higginbotham was our worst player in our relegation season. He cost us more goals than anyone else. Gave away a needless penalty against Bolton. Wasn't on the same page as the rest of the back four against Arsenal and Bolton when he played their players onside. That own goal against Middlesbrough. Plus many more just general crappy performances.

I still have nightmares as I watched that man start the collapse against boro in THAT game right in front of my eyes on 89th min

That was a sickener, on a par with Bent's flukey 93rd minute lash for Everton to steal a draw after we'd battered them for 85 minutes. That said, Higgy was OK for us, people remember the OGs but he was better than Claus that season (NOT OVERALL) and certainly 100 times better than Jakobsson or Davenport, 2 of the worst clowns to disgrace our shirt. Jakobsson's first half display V Norwich ranks as one of the worst 45 minutes I've ever seen from any Saints player. Don't worry folks, this ain't going to happen:

- We haven't got £1.5m, barely £1.5p

- Wages, even fringe PL players are on unjustifiable wages now. I would never pay Higgy £20k p/w but that's the overinflated market for you, which is about to go pop judging by last week's PL gates, let alone the CCC

- We've got Wayne Thomas to do a similar job

I am in the minority in that I always liked Higgy, but only as a CB and not as a LB.

However, I would be very surprised if we did make an offer for him and I don't really think we need him now either. I think in Killer, Perry, Thomas, Cork, Lancashire and Wotton we have enough cover at CB.

So, in summary, I don't think he will be coming back any time soon and I am not at all disappointed in this.

I am really impressed how much some posters have learned about football in the last month or so. When I previously mentioned that DH was just a hoofer who couldn't pass a ball to a team mate I was met with howls of derision and comments about how this is the sort of player needed in this division.

Now we are talking about wanting footballing defenders and liking the new style of play. Well done, keep it up!

I am really impressed how much some posters have learned about football in the last month or so. When I previously mentioned that DH was just a hoofer who couldn't pass a ball to a team mate I was met with howls of derision and comments about how this is the sort of player needed in this division.

Now we are talking about wanting footballing defenders and liking the new style of play. Well done, keep it up!

I've said it about DH ever since he joined us, to constant howls of derision. You want to get out more.

I've said it about DH ever since he joined us, to constant howls of derision. You want to get out more.
I alos was very vocal in my criticism of DH. At the time he was a 'hero' departed who was going to be missed.Again that was to do with his bravery and 'love' of the club.Not due to him having a strop because he wanted more money.

He was part of that pathetic relegation squad and so it is best he never returns