Deliberate or Glenn Cockerill Special ?

alpine_saint

Deliberate, it obviously worked so well that it has tricked our own fans into thinking he meant to cross it let alone Millwall's defenders!

you can tell by the way he "passed" the ball and the over exaggeration of the fake cross its deliberate... might see if i can perfect that move against my 7 year old. he's not falling for that "hey whats that over there?" move so that when he looks i stroll straight past him

class move

When I first saw this last night I thought that Long had accidentally stubbed the ball with his ‘standing foot’, but having watched it again a few times I’m convinced that he did this deliberately. I think part of what threw me at first was that most times a player sells a dummy before playing the ball, whereas, this time, Long did it in reverse order.

of course it was deliberate , if you think anything else, go and see your doctor quickly.

"Doctor, Doctor, help me please! I can't work out if Shane Long meant to pass it to Clyney or not!"

"I am sorry, but you are beyond help. If you think these matters are worthy of seeking medical advice, then I would suggest your problems are far deeper set than your stupidity. I would like to refer you to a Psychotherapist."

"Doctor, Doctor, help me please! I can't work out if Shane Long meant to pass it to Clyney or not!"

"I am sorry, but you are beyond help. If you think these matters are worthy of seeking medical advice, then I would suggest your problems are far deeper set than your stupidity. I would like to refer you to a Psychotherapist."

"Doctor, Doctor, help me - I've got a strawberry growing out of my a*se"

"Hmmm - I've got some cream for that"

Glad to see most folk see it was intentional.

Of course he meant it. It came off the inside of his standing foot perfectly in line with the run. This meant his standing foot was in a very unnatural position (nobody runs with their toes out to the side).

Then the 'mis-hit' has no power behind it to avoid over extension. He knew he wouldn't be making contact with the ball so there'd be no weight to reduce the momentum of his kick.

I'd suggest that if you thought he was seriously suggesting that people should visit a doctor, then you should take your own advice. ;)

I would suggest that anyone who doesn't think it was intentional should be banned. They have no business on a football forum.

How do you know they are on a football forum. Just because they are on here, doesn't mean they have any interest in football. This is a Saints forum.

Then you really have no clue what you're watching I'm afraid.

of course it was deliberate , if you think anything else, go and see your doctor quickly.

You seriously have to be a bit thick to think that was anything other than deliberate.

Deliberate. You're a moron if you think otherwise.

If people think it was unintentional, then they clearly are just in a negative mindset.

It was clearly a clever bit of audacious skill, that could have left him on his arse (Like David Dunn all those years ago!).

I would suggest that anyone who doesn't think it was intentional should be banned. They have no business on a football forum.

Wonderful contributions (above). So mature and offering clear argument as to why it was a good bit of skill.

This contribution (below) at least tried to dissect the skill and offer an opinion into why he/she thought it was genuine.

When I first saw this last night I thought that Long had accidentally stubbed the ball with his ‘standing foot’, but having watched it again a few times I’m convinced that he did this deliberately. I think part of what threw me at first was that most times a player sells a dummy before playing the ball, whereas, this time, Long did it in reverse order.
Edited by jasonb

Hillarious how you can't avoid turning a genuine bit of skill into an opportunity for a dig.

Huh ? The only pop I wrote was a light-hearted reminiss over my worst away match ever, 5-2 to Sheff Wed when we wore a yellow third kit for one of the first times, and Glenn Cockerill tried to blast the ball in from about the penalty spot and actually managed to make it go backwards.

Wonderful contributions (above). So mature and offering clear argument as to why it was a good bit of skill.

This contribution (below) at least tried to dissect the skill and offer an opinion into why he/she thought it was genuine.

something that was so obvious doesn't need to be dissected and explained. It was clear from the outset it was deliberate.

What is odd is that it is even being discussed.

something that was so obvious doesn't need to be dissected and explained. It was clear from the outset it was deliberate.

Quite, my favourite bit about it was the jeering from the turds in the Millwall crowd who thought it was a miskick, for the exact reason that you have to be some kind of moron to not realise he meant it. Apart from anything, he was grinning like anything immediately afterwards.

Also, we've already had this discussion once.

The Irish papers seem obsessed with it. I posted one on the match thread. Here's another:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/shane-long-with-brilliant-dummy-pass-last-night-640331.html?

I wasn't sure last night and asked a question as my stream was crap on the match thread. Having watched it again this morning several times I can see it being genuine. What is possibly clouding my judgement is how cumbersome it looks. The 'after swing' of his right foot is so far behind the left foot pass that it looks unintentional to my eye. I think he needs to work on it some more if he's going to fool anyone. The Millwall defenders certainly never fell for it despite it creating a great chance after Clyne's brilliant cross.

You are right though.. its a moot point. I was simply alarmed at the less than helpful replies.

Even in that link to the Irish Examiner (above) they seem unconvinced, and I quote:

Hmmm, having watched it a few times we’re still not sure. It reminds us a lot of Robbie Keane's lucky assist at the weekend.

‘Fess up @ShaneLong7, did you mean it?

Long's already retweeted it, which he wouldn't have if he'd been embarrassed by it.

The "the after swing" "making it look unintentional" is exactly the reason it was obviously deliberate, the ball was SO far on its way already that there was no possible way he could have been trying to pass it with his right foot.

I've seen people accidentally poke the ball with the wrong foot, it never goes perfectly to an overlapping teammate and they are ALWAYS put off balance by the adjustment they try to make to kick the ball from its new position after they've already accidentally moved it.

Long's action was one movement and smooth, he knew exactly where the ball was going and didn't try to adjust to kick it with his right (because it was about two yards to his right by then), and you could also tell it was deliberate as he wasn't even looking in the direction a right footed kick would have gone, he just looked (and swung his leg) to distract from the initial pass.

by the way, I don't think it was that skillful , as the exaggerated swing of the leg was some time after he nudged the ball on.

I think we have arrived at middle ground...

It was intentional but really was a bit cr*p :)

by the way, I don't think it was that skillful , as the exaggerated swing of the leg was some time after he nudged the ball on.

He was running and did it with his standing foot when in full flow with a rolling ball, it was bloody awesome. Even Henry's one was a slow moving ball with him basically just standing there.

I've done the Emerson standing leg free-kick dummy and that's hard enough with the thing stationary and me standing over it during a stoppage in play!

EDIT: Which btw is the same thing as Long's, except you're standing still, you swing your leg first to dummy taking the free kick, then pivot on your toes on your other foot to pass it with the heel of your standing foot whilst everyone is switched off after the dummy. Doing that whilst running takes incredible skill. Even thinking about doing it whilst in possession of the ball in a competitive match puts you on a different level to most.

Edited by The9

Hillarious how some cant avoid turning a genuine question into an opportunity for abuse...

Because it was so obviously, 100%, cast-iron deliberate I guess some people can't understand why you've brought an element of doubt into it. You appear to watch football in a very different way to most people on this forum.

Because it was so obviously, 100%, cast-iron deliberate I guess some people can't understand why you've brought an element of doubt into it. You appear to watch football in a very different way to most people on this forum.

So what ?

As if I am the only person who asked this question after watching it the first time...