Spurs keeping eye on Danny Fox

dubai_phil

I think he's better than a lot give him credit for. The game isn't exactly overflowing with decent left backs.
How many had heard of Assou-Ekkotto before he made it with Spurs? Spurs won't have any problem finding a better left-back than Fox.

Fox has a great dead ball on him, but apart from that I'm not a huge fan. His performance away at Doncaster was one of the worst I've seen in a good while from a Saints player (although no one covered themselves in glory that day). I think he is defensively suspect, doesn't support Lallana that well (in the way that Richardson does with whoever plays on the right of midfield) and is prone to playing "Hollywood balls" that often don't work out. If we can find a decent replacement I wouldn't mind him going, but I have no idea who that would be!

If they have been watching him all season, they would have seen that he is a very good championship player, but a lot to prove for Premier League standard.

I hope he does make the cut, but with us!

I'd be gutted if he left, think he is real quality. I dont see it happening though, this is probably just one of those speculative agent-driven rumours (like the ones we will all be wetting ourselves over for the next month or so.)

I think those that give Fox stick for his defensive duties perhaps need to also consider how much slack he has to take up because Lallana is all over the place trying to make gameplays up front - i.e. sometimes he's having to cope on his own at the back. Personally I don't think we'll see much better unless big money is spent or we nurture another Bale through to the 1st team. Be careful what you wish for - he is part of the Saints TEAM - not a good idea to start breaking up that up.

I think those that give Fox stick for his defensive duties perhaps need to also consider how much slack he has to take up because Lallana is all over the place trying to make gameplays up front - i.e. sometimes he's having to cope on his own at the back. Personally I don't think we'll see much better unless big money is spent or we nurture another Bale through to the 1st team. Be careful what you wish for - he is part of the Saints TEAM - not a good idea to start breaking up that up.

Funnily enough not often something Dan Harding had a problem coping with.

OK my view is that Fox has improved as the season has gone on.

Certainly he can be caught out of position (agree with the comments about the Lallana cover in front of him). Certainly he can stand off too much and that has cost us gaols.

But on the positive side his delivery from corners has been a game changer, I have no idea on the stats but it seems to me we have scored far more goals from corners this year than our previous stay in the Championship. The variation with his fizzed balls and Lallana's corners cause defences all sorts of problems.

I seriously doubt he will be off to Spuds, yep it was on Twitter after all, BUT like Guly, I think he is better than many believe and LB is certainly a position where we will not have to strengthen during the summer until AFTER we have filled the priority areas (especially with Luke Shaw possibly stepping up to the bench next season)

And anyway we still have Dickson in reserve to come back in from loan.... ;)

Well I look at like this - when he has agood game his abilty and class is obviious, but like so many in the lower leagues, who have/had the talent, its the lack of consistency that differentiates the Ok, from the good, from the excellent - part of taht will be confidence, part will be graft and part will be down to how much he can rely on his team mates to cove or be in the right position at the right time.... would not surprise me as his delivery when on form is top class... but he still needs to developm that consistency to take him to the next level.

Would sell him for a reasonable amount (3mill). The number of times he loses the right midfielder is staggering.

Considering Lallana is allowed a lot of freedom with his attacking play, I think Fox has been outstanding this season often having to cover that entire flank himself.

Considering Lallana is allowed a lot of freedom with his attacking play, I think Fox has been outstanding this season often having to cover that entire flank himself.

Which would be fair comment except

A) Adam does his fair share of denfensive work

B)foxoften completely fails to cover the flank at all most of the time

Edited by doddisalegend

Which would be fair comment except

A) Adam does his fair share of denfensive work

B)foxoften completely fails to cover the flank at all most of the time

Sometimes, yes - but he is also often caught behind the play because we've been on the attack, given the ball away and the opponents have broken.

Surely this is just a deliberate attempt to draw attention to the Twitter account, to increase followers?

To be fair it was a Retweet by the official SaintsfanZone.....

(Oooh I've been waiting ages for my turn to say this)

Make of that what you will.

but what is the point...hardly going to get anyone better

What you don't think Fox will be out the door like a shot if spurs came calling? Plus I'm really hoping the club is already looking for new fullbacks (left and right) as that is our weakest postions IMO as to who I'll leave it up to the clubs scouting network.

What you don't think Fox will be out the door like a shot if spurs came calling? Plus I'm really hoping the club is already looking for new fullbacks (left and right) as that is our weakest postions IMO as to who I'll leave it up to the clubs scouting network.

probably...but lets say it is £3m.........would be a struggle to get someone for that to be better...or even as good.

a load of guff anyway

I don't believe some of what I'm reading. A left back that has contributed nearly 15 assists this year and has performed well in his position (effectively a wingback) is being rubbished and recommended for transfer? Like Lallana was being written off 3 years ago... and the rest.

Like any player, he's not perfect but I'd doubt we'd find anyone else as good and who'd fit into our style for whatever we would sell him for.

And he'll probably get better, too.

PS: People who say Lallana doesn't cover Fox are totally incorrect. Our system leaves our fullbacks exposed, not the players in front of them. And Lallana works feckin' hard.

Edited by Crab Lungs

Saints fan and PA journalist Simon Peach mentioned Spurs were tracking Fox in January. I can well believe it. And just because they are tracking him won't mean they are preparing a bid or anything. I imagine clubs like Spurs are tracking 100+ players at any one time anyway. Kudos to Fox and the club for his form. I've no doubt that Fox will do well when we've got the ball next season but his concentration will need to be top notch against the calibre of winger he is going to face.

Fox has a great dead ball on him, but apart from that I'm not a huge fan. His performance away at Doncaster was one of the worst I've seen in a good while from a Saints player (although no one covered themselves in glory that day). I think he is defensively suspect, doesn't support Lallana that well (in the way that Richardson does with whoever plays on the right of midfield) and is prone to playing "Hollywood balls" that often don't work out. If we can find a decent replacement I wouldn't mind him going, but I have no idea who that would be!

A perfect summary if I might say. Been found wanting in my opinion and will not be good enough in the PL.

but what is the point...hardly going to get anyone better

See is that not just a silly comment? Can you honestly say that there is not ONE left back of equal or better of our very own Danny Fox? The guys been alright but not spectacular this season. His crossing and out ball is generally good but he falls down on his ability to work the flank with Lallana and often stands off his man giving space for most recent example see his performance vs Kebe @ sms. Kebe is no where near one of the best wingers who will be in the prem next year so imagine what a Valencia or a Bale could do to him!!!

Is this the same fox that always sits off a wide player and stands and watches him cross the ball in rather than closing down......Does it time and time again.....

Is this the same fox that always sits off a wide player and stands and watches him cross the ball in rather than closing down......Does it time and time again.....

I was starting to think I was the only one who was seeing that...reading about how many people think Danny Fox is amazing.

Absolutely spot on. Although he is ten times better than Harding.

Thats the one.....quite often he needs binoculars to see the wide player he is supposed to be marking as he is so bloody far away from him.

Interesting. Successful team apparently full of very average players...

Hardly we're talking about one player on this thread....Nigels already said that we need to go for players better than we have. Fox while not bad going forward is a defensive liability at times and he is only going to face better players next season.