Jordy Clasie Signs - Official

Saint-Armstrong

I think I can shed some light on Clasie as a player. basically I was drinking heavily in Rome back in February with Feyernoord fans (to a man, drunk as 10 men, awesome people, albeit with little respect for ancient Roman monuments/ statues and general architectural wonders of the world, but then when you need a p*** you need a p***) and went to watch their UEFA cup game against Roma. Clasie was outstanding (from what I remember in Curva Sud next to pot smoking, ticketless, flare lighting Roma Ultras) controlled the pace of the game from the middle, was always an option and mixed up passing from easy possession based to threading through balls through.

Happy to become a Clasie expert.

Just a note to any Feyenoord fans reading this - You lot were ****ing brilliant, 9000 in Rome, to a man getting absolutely steaming! Best away turn out I've seen overseas and happy to chat Koeman/ Pelle with this just as ****ed Englishman, touché.

Perhaps Clyne, Wanyama and their agents didn't want to have 5 year contracts.

Of course. Can't force them. But definitely better for us if we know they are good players, so this one has worked out well.

As an aside on contracts, I would imagine we are already in discussions with Mane to extend his, even if its a token extension.

5 year deal the way to go over 4. Learning from the Clyne situation (and possible Wanyama one next summer).

If you as a club had a great player you would want to tie him in for the whole of his career. If you were said player and agent you would want to keep your options open with a shorter contract surely?

Browsing the Manc redcafe forums (bored at work) I came across them discussing Clasie and a couple of contributions from Netherlands-based United fans caught my eye... contrasting but obviously with a United slant (especially the second quote)

In Sunday’s Klassieker match against fierce rivals Ajax, Feyenoord ensured they have a massive influence in the Dutch title race. Drawing 0-0 with the four-times reigning champions in Amsterdam, they were extremely unlucky not to win. While the attention will be on the worryingly flat performance from Ajax and widening of the gap between them and league leaders PSV to six points, it should instead be on this diminutive young player who completely dominated the match.

Throughout the match, Clasie was king. And that has been the case for much of the campaign.

Clasie dominates the area from his side’s box to halfway into opposition territory, and from here he bosses the game. Like a bulldog in the middle of the pitch, his quick reactions and incredible desire to win every ball make him a marvel to watch. That he knows how to get it and, importantly, what to do with it, allows him to control matches.

In the 4-3 thriller against PSV towards the end of 2014, Clasie was spectacular, showing off his ability to snatch up possession in midfield, kill off the opponents’ attack and kick start one for his own in one smooth movement. He set up two goals for his side that way.

Despite his lack of height, Clasie is made for the Premier League. Any side in the English top flight looking for a defensive midfielder should come in for him. It's as simple as that. (Nice little Adkins-ism to boot!)

I'm a PSV fan and not Feyenoord one so I don't watch all their matches. Dutch clubs continue to exist by offering a great education to talents for them to make a step up, Clasie is definately one of the better midfielders in the league if not the best. After the WC Feyenoord already lost Martins Indi, Janmaat, De Vrij and Pelle so they didn't want to sell Clasie unless they got an offer which the couldn't refuse. They didn't get one so he stayed to captain Feyenoord this season and he delivered, much like Memphis does for PSV. He's leaving this summer though as he's ready for a step up and I'm sure more clubs will be interested. Dutch clubs can't hold on to their biggest talents and Clasie is one of the best the Eredivisie has to offer right now.

He's a holding, defensive midfielder like Blind but he isn't as multifunctional. He's only suitable for the CDM position for which we've got Blind and Carrick. He's not very big, but strong enough for his size. He can build attacks from the back and can give good cover defensively. He's more offensive than Blind (he seeks the forward pass more often and is good at this). He's not as good as Herrera at this though.

LvG wants a box-to-box midfielder and Clasie isn't one. He could be brought in but he'd be competition for Carrick and Blind and not be the missing link we need. He's done in the Eredivisie and is good enough for a step up, I don't think Manchester United is his next destination though. Koeman is a fan and will most certainly try to get him, especially if Southampton sell Schneiderlin. I think this will be a good move for him, Porto made an offer last season but it wasn't enough for Feyenoord so he might go there.

So in short: a great defensive midfielder although not what we need. Good on the ball and has defensive awareness, ready for a step up but he's not what we need. He lacks height, strenght and speed and he'd be another Blind while we really need a (inform) Strootman kind of player. There's better options for him than Manchester United right now.

So all-in-all a fairly positive set of views with the obvious admission that he's not the tallest which has been discussed.

Browsing the Manc redcafe forums (bored at work) I came across them discussing Clasie and a couple of contributions from Netherlands-based United fans caught my eye... contrasting but obviously with a United slant (especially the second quote)

So all-in-all a fairly positive set of views with the obvious admission that he's not the tallest which has been discussed.

That Psv fan gave a fair description, I like to add that Clasie is way better than Blind as a CDM. He just needs to improve his handling capabilities and endurance in order to adept to the PL. That will take some time.

That Psv fan gave a fair description, I like to add that Clasie is way better than Blind as a CDM. He just needs to improve his handling capabilities and endurance in order to adept to the PL. That will take some time.

Any news from your side of the water VH? Are the reports the same as here? 15M and to be announced today or tomorrow? Cheers.

Any news from your side of the water VH? Are the reports the same as here? 15M and to be announced today or tomorrow? Cheers.

According to the De Telegraaf it is 15 million euros (9,5 million pounds upfront and a million pounds bonus when Clasie plays a certain amount of games). It's said that Clasie will sign his contract today in Southampton.

According to the De Telegraaf it is 15 million euros (9,5 million pounds upfront and a million pounds bonus when Clasie plays a certain amount of games). It's said that Clasie will sign his contract today in Southampton.

Cool, cheers for that. €15M is a decent figure. Really looking forward to this signing.

Clasie arrived at southampton airport just over an hour ago and went to the nuffield for a medical.

Our medicals can't be up to much, if they are conducted in a theatre.

Perhaps they just consist of Schlong rating the potential new signing's ability to 'win free kicks'.

Cool, cheers for that. €15M is a decent figure. Really looking forward to this signing.

Yep, it's a good deal for the Saints and for Feyenoord. The fee for Clasie is the second highest (after Dirk Kuyt) in the history of the club. Off course there are some among the Feyenoord fans who believe that Clasie should have been sold for more as the Saints got enough money and there were some other clubs interested in Clasie but most of the fans agree that it is a good deal and they're happy for Feyenoord and for Clasie. Besides, Feyenoord already bought a replacement (Vejinovic) for 2,5 million pounds who has even more potential than Clasie in the long run. So, everybody's happy here! :)

Feyenoord have just announced the signing of Simon Gustafson, replacement for Clasie.

Hopefully our announcement will be soon

Gustafson will be the replacement for Lex Immers who is believed to also move over to the PL, it seems Watford is after him...

Gustafson will be the replacement for Lex Immers who is believed to also move over to the PL, it seems Watford is after him...

I remember we were linked to Immers last season.

Do Feyenoord fans think that Clasie can attract a Champions League club at all?

Perhaps Clyne, Wanyama and their agents didn't want to have 5 year contracts.

"Give everyone five year contracts" is this years "why don't we do our transfer business early". Simple solutions for a simple world.

I remember we were linked to Immers last season.

Do Feyenoord fans think that Clasie can attract a Champions League club at all?

The opinions differ, however most do believe that he can but there are some like me who believe he would have been better off in the Spanish or Italian competition careerwise. Football in those competions is more organised than the PL and is easier to adept to coming from the Eredivisie than the PL where there's usually a lot of running going on and less tactics. Look at Stefan de Vrij for example, he went from Feyenoord to Lazio Roma and is now seen as one of the best defenders and that in a country where they "invented" defensive football! I'm sure he would have been slaughtered when he'd moved to England first... But Southampton with Koeman and the way they like to play is the best choice for Clasie when it comes to the PL!

On his way, deal not yet 100%, players terms still to be sorted, might be done by tonight.

Cheers. Can you see any potentially last minute show-stopping stumbling blocks (on the 'players terms' side of things) or are we now firmly in rubber-stamping territory? Thanks.