Jordy Clasie Signs - Official

Saint-Armstrong

Cheers. Can you see any potentially last minute show-stopping stumbling blocks (on the 'players terms' side of things) or are we now firmly in rubber-stamping territory? Thanks.

Clasie earns 700K in british pounds before taxes (52% in Holland) at Feyenoord so no, there won't be any stumbling blocks... ;) Clasie really wants to play for Southampton, money is secundary.

And you're certain that Clasie is???

No, but I'm looking forward to him playing and seeing for myself. I suspect he will be better.

Watching that video Koeman Jr. tweeted, he looks very good; a genuine box-to-box midfielder that gets involved with the attacks as well as the defence. Some intelligent, guileful passing and the assist for van Persie's sweet goal at the beginning was real nice.

£7M now? It's getting lower and lower, they'll be paying us to take him soon!

:D

Don't believe it Saint Ash, the Dutch De Telegraaf is well connected to Feyenoord as they are mediapartner and are the only one getting information from the board of Feyenoord.

Clasie.jpg

Edited by van Hanegem

Don't believe it Saint Ash, the Dutch De Telegraaf is well connected to Feyenoord as they are mediapartner and are the only one getting information from the board of Feyenoord.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1749[/ATTACH]

15m Euro so just over £10M.

Bit harsh to call him a double slag though! :lol:

Watching that video Koeman Jr. tweeted, he looks very good; a genuine box-to-box midfielder that gets involved with the attacks as well as the defence. Some intelligent, guileful passing and the assist for van Persie's sweet goal at the beginning was real nice.

At least some people on here are capable of making a comment that isn't sarcastic or insulting.

15m Euro so just over £10M.

Bit harsh to call him a double slag though! :lol:

Sorry, can't find the right translation of "dubbelslag" in this matter but they mean that Feyenoord gets a lot of money for Clasie and at the same time they get a great Swedish talent for only 10% of the fee they get for Clasie.

Except that Clasie isn't a box-to-box midfielder at all.

Could he play further forward, perhaps at the tip of the diamond? He's not going to get goals or be box to box; but surely he could dictate play further up the pitch with his vision and composure on the ball. There are cases of DMs -Iniesta started as one- who have moved further forward over time.

By offering him a new deal well before he has less than 6 months to run on his current one. Or in other words' date=' giving ourselves a chance of keeping him.[/quote']

We did offer him a new deal. I'm pretty sure Koeman said he spoke to Cork and Jack said he needed to go elsewhere to play regular football, so wasn't willing to sign a new deal.

We did offer him a new deal. I'm pretty sure Koeman said he spoke to Cork and Jack said he needed to go elsewhere to play regular football, so wasn't willing to sign a new deal.

As far as I am aware we spent the first 6 months deliberating whether or not to offer him a new deal and then the new deal was offered in January when Koeman said he wanted to keep him and by then Cork said he didn't feel 'wanted' by Saints and said he wasn't signing it.

My point is that Cork should have been offered a new deal well before he had jut 6 months left on his existing one.

EDIT: Edited for spelling.

Edited by Lallana's Left Peg

As far as I am aware we spent the first 6 months deliberately whether or not to offer him a new deal and then the new deal was offered in January when Koeman said he wanted to keep him and by then Cork said he didn't feel 'wanted' by Saints and said he wasn't signing it.

My point is that Cork should have been offered a new deal well before he had jut 6 months left on his existing one.

No, shut up. Everything the club does is perfect.

Not alot. Think things might move once Celtic know their Champions League qualifying position. Like the Forster transfer last year.
So we might not see any movement for a week+ ? Or would a big Celtic win tonight change things? I appreciate how it important Champions League qualification is for them, but they really should be beating such opposition even without key players. Edited by Sour Mash

No, shut up. Everything the club does is perfect.

The club has done very little wrong since Cortese left but there have been a few decisions that have been wrong (benefit of hindsight and all that) - allowing Cork to get away was one of them. He wanted to sign a new deal last summer and said words to that effect. And why not - he had just 12 months left. Not giving him a new deal because Koeman wanted to assess him is strange, because we didn't wait for Koeman's say when we negotiated a number of other contracts. Either way, it was disappointing to lose Cork - we made it an easy decision for him.

Could he play further forward, perhaps at the tip of the diamond? He's not going to get goals or be box to box; but surely he could dictate play further up the pitch with his vision and composure on the ball. There are cases of DMs -Iniesta started as one- who have moved further forward over time.
That's how I can see him used at times. Breaking up play high up the pitch, linking play, threading through balls.

"Give everyone five year contracts" is this years "why don't we do our transfer business early". Simple solutions for a simple world.

I'd be furious if Cuco Martina had a 5 year deal based on what I've seen so far.

The club has done very little wrong since Cortese left but there have been a few decisions that have been wrong (benefit of hindsight and all that) - allowing Cork to get away was one of them. He wanted to sign a new deal last summer and said words to that effect. And why not - he had just 12 months left. Not giving him a new deal because Koeman wanted to assess him is strange' date=' because we didn't wait for Koeman's say when we negotiated a number of other contracts. Either way, it was disappointing to lose Cork - we made it an easy decision for him.[/quote']

I was told by someone high up ...and would know that we couldn't renegotiate until we did due to clauses and things in old contract

Good question, maybe he can in the future but I guess it depends on the way the team plays. There aren't many teams that can play a position game like Barcelona or Ajax on a good day and that would be necessary for Clasie. Imagine Xavi or Iniesta at West Ham for example, they wouldn't be able to play like they're used to at Barca and therefore wouldn't make much of an impression. Clasie is certainly no Xavi or Iniesta but like them he's very dependent on the abilities of his teammates.

For now I'm certain Koeman will use his strengths, especially his vision and passing ability must add something to the Saints and therefore he needs to stay more at the back to have a wide view of the possibilities ahead of him. He will come to the opponents box a few times each game (when the Saints are capable to keep the opponent under pressure) but I suspect his handling speed is not good enough yet to make an impression in the PL when it comes to playing in the opponents box.