Jordy Clasie Signs - Official

Saint-Armstrong

The club has done very little wrong since Cortese left but there have been a few decisions that have been wrong (benefit of hindsight and all that) - allowing Cork to get away was one of them. He wanted to sign a new deal last summer and said words to that effect. And why not - he had just 12 months left. Not giving him a new deal because Koeman wanted to assess him is strange' date=' because we didn't wait for Koeman's say when we negotiated a number of other contracts. Either way, it was disappointing to lose Cork - we made it an easy decision for him.[/quote']

Inclined to agree. The "Cork didn't want to play for us so what could we do line" doesn't really stack up in the same way it does for those who have left for bigger and better things. Timing of our contract offer did seem to be key and it's reasonable to assume that we could have kept him if we wanted. This is old news of course and I'm looking forward to Clasie joining who could end up being the better player but Cork was proven in the league and an excellent player for us IMO.

Cork is one thing but I can't believe we let prutton go

Or Oakley

Pah! I still can't believe Branfoot got rid of Jimmy Case within days of getting the job. That fella was on a hiding to nothing after that display of ineptitude.

By offering him a new deal well before he has less than 6 months to run on his current one. Or in other words' date=' giving ourselves a chance of keeping him.[/quote']

So you have evidence that no contact was made between the club and Cork regarding his contract until January?

All this would be irrelevant if we'd kept Quashie and Wise.

So you have evidence that no contact was made between the club and Cork regarding his contract until January?

You'd have to go back to Cork's dad's tweets to verify that. Can't remember myself, seemed to wish to keep the whole world bang up to date on the situation. I think he even hinted that the 3 million we all believe we got for him was nowhere near the real figure; more like 1.5 million.

Edited by Window Cleaner

If we didn't want Cork why did we offer him another contract?

If we really wanted him why did we offer one so late when Steve Davis signed an extension when he still had about 2 years to go?

You can see why the player didn't feel especially wanted.

But its history now.

Saints didn't offer him a contract where he was likely to be first choice and a regular starter if everyone was fit. He did get that from Swansea.

I am not saying you are wrong MLG but I am surprised if anyone gets guaranteed starting places in the squad sizes we have today. Personally I think it is a bad idea. Isnt competition for places meant to be a good thing?

If we really wanted him why did we offer one so late when Steve Davis signed an extension when he still had about 2 years to go?

You can see why the player didn't feel especially wanted.

But its history now.

I don't think any of us knows what went on behind the scenes but I assume that if a professional footballer gets a new contract offer he realises that he is wanted. I really don't think not feeling wanted had anything to do with his move but who knows for sure? There are few players out there who could insist on starting each week. Messi and Ronaldo spring to mind. Jack Cork doesn't.

I am not saying you are wrong MLG but I am surprised if anyone gets guaranteed starting places in the squad sizes we have today. Personally I think it is a bad idea. Isnt competition for places meant to be a good thing?

I didn't say guaranteed, but in contract talks the player/agent will want to know where they fit into the manager's plans. Cork may have been offered a deal by Saints, but it wouldn't have been that of a player likely to start a lot of games. He was dropping down the pecking order, plus Saints have youngsters in central midfield they are bringing through.

I don't think any of us knows what went on behind the scenes but I assume that if a professional footballer gets a new contract offer he realises that he is wanted. I really don't think not feeling wanted had anything to do with his move but who knows for sure? There are few players out there who could insist on starting each week. Messi and Ronaldo spring to mind. Jack Cork doesn't.

Yeah but Corky got a proper call up to the GB Olympic squad. This new fella's only got 11 full international caps for Holland.

It's the #ahem "Clasie" thing to do.

From what it sounds like is happening, he'll sign his stuff and head off back home tonight. Flew into Heathrow, did his medical in London - in the meantime, Les sorted the paperwork with Feyenoord.

His wife's due to give birth any day now, so he can go back to Holland and link up with the Saints squad when they head out there - Friday? - I suppose.

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

If Connor's theory is correct, wouldn't he complete the signing up at Heathrow? Wouldn't need to come back to Southampton. The stadium shots can be done when they return from the Netherlands.

He definitely landed in London at around 13:00, I don't know why he'd head south unless he's flying out from Southampton, or catching a ferry. :p

Unless he just wants to see the facilities and Les and co are down there, anyway.

Not alot. Think things might move once Celtic know their Champions League qualifying position. Like the Forster transfer last year.

Is Van Dijk injured? He isn't in the Celtic squad for their qualifier tonight.