Wayne Rooney - Pr*ck.

alpine_saint

I think he was very clever. It gives us the perfect excuse for

Imploding again. We struggle through the group stages because he is banned then lose in the knockouts because he isn't march fit and not at his best. Its actually a very clever tactic, you're not paid 5m a year for

Nothing you know.

Have never liked Rooney. Always sits uneasily with me that he plays for England and I can never cheer him on. In an ideal world he would never play for England. Wearing the shirt is about more than just ability.

Agree with you.

If he wasn't a footballer he'd be breaking in to houses or inside. Always thought he was just a pleb,and the picture of his father in the papers today cemphasise it again.

meh, england who gives a ****. terry has been ineffectual since they clamped down on his cheating, shame the saints have to wait a week to play just because the princesses are trying to get to the euros big fucing deal, about as relevant as the eurovison song contest imahomo

That's England's European Championship finals campaign f**ked up before they've even got on the plane.

Simply embarassing.

I see we've thrown the Ashes away on the first day again...

This may or may not turn out to be true.

So...he will miss the first match of the tournament.

And that means we won't win the tournament, how exactly???

Some people are so melodramatic!

We won't win because we aren't good enough.

We aren't good enough because a succession of England managers have always picked the 'names' or 'brands' that are supposedly national footballing treasures.

Sadly, these people know that they will always be picked, so really can't be arsed. Playing for England for them is a chore and not a privilege.

Until we get a manager who can instill pride in the team - just take a look at the England cricket team and see what it means to represent their country to those guys - then we will always reproduce the same mediocre pile of shyte! No commitment, no flair, no pride, no-one really caring as they get paid their £100k or whatever a week whether they win or lose.

England football sucks. Personally I haven't been interested in it for over 10 years. I really wish we hadn't squeezed out a draw yesterday, and didn't qualify, so I can be spared the mindless nationalistic jingoism from our journalists when the summer comes next year :(

We aren't good enough because a succession of England managers have always picked the 'names' or 'brands' that are supposedly national footballing treasures.

Sadly, these people know that they will always be picked, so really can't be arsed. Playing for England for them is a chore and not a privilege.

Until we get a manager who can instill pride in the team - just take a look at the England cricket team and see what it means to represent their country to those guys - then we will always reproduce the same mediocre pile of shyte! No commitment, no flair, no pride, no-one really caring as they get paid their £100k or whatever a week whether they win or lose.

England football sucks. Personally I haven't been interested in it for over 10 years. I really wish we hadn't squeezed out a draw yesterday, and didn't qualify, so I can be spared the mindless nationalistic jingoism from our journalists when the summer comes next year :(

I agree, Weston, I do.

Which is why singling out one player from a whole host of players is unfair - even if he did get sent off.

His being sent off is not the reason we won't win the Euros next year, it is because of a system in English football that is rotten, and will continue to be so until something major is done.

Sack Capello.

Drop Terry

Drop Ferdinand

Drop Lampard

Drop Barry

Drop Gerrard

Drop Rooney

We need passion back in the team, and in the terraces when watching England.

It's not Rooney's fault he gets picked every game.

Yes he was at fault yesterday but it's not his fault for the state of English football

Spot on. A load of overpaid, underworked selfish arseholes. That's the board and manager out of the way, the players are no better either.

So...he will miss the first match of the tournament.

And that means we won't win the tournament, how exactly???

Some people are so melodramatic!

Well, for a start he will be missing for TWO games, you can put money on that. So England loses the one player it has that can turn games around.

And if the final game is against the first seed in our group, and its Holland or Spain, then we might end up getting two draws and getting the early bath.

I suppose at least we will put out of our misery earlier and wont get the dellusions that we are in with a chance of winning it...

Personally I would go one further.

The England failure is wholly attributable to the manager - and to some extent the FA!

The manager doesn't care, and successive managers have been this way for many years. I would say this is the fault of the FA paying them inordinate sums of money. What is it £2 or £3m per year! Now I'm not against that per se, it's the state of football these days and we won't change it.

What we could do though, and it's pretty easy really. Pay the manager a nominal salary, say £100k per year, and make the rest of the salary performance related. England win games, the manager gets his grubby hands on the cash.

This would hopefully encourage the manager to make his selections based on which players are performing at the time, and not just pick the brand names as the easy, lazy option. It would also mean that the manager is hungry for the win, would motivate his players and bring some pride back to the English game. It's not rocket science, but the manager would work for his money, rather than just sit back and count the money regardless of the results, safe in the knowledge that even if he gets sacked he'll have his contract paid up!

The England failure is wholly attributable to the manager - and to some extent the FA!

The manager doesn't care, and successive managers have been this way for many years. I would say this is the fault of the FA paying them inordinate sums of money. What is it £2 or £3m per year! Now I'm not against that per se, it's the state of football these days and we won't change it.

What we could do though, and it's pretty easy really. Pay the manager a nominal salary, say £100k per year, and make the rest of the salary performance related. England win games, the manager gets his grubby hands on the cash.

This would hopefully encourage the manager to make his selections based on which players are performing at the time, and not just pick the brand names as the easy, lazy option. It would also mean that the manager is hungry for the win, would motivate his players and bring some pride back to the English game. It's not rocket science, but the manager would work for his money, rather than just sit back and count the money regardless of the results, safe in the knowledge that even if he gets sacked he'll have his contract paid up!

Thats a terrific idea in principle, and I wholly agree with it......BUT...how many managers would be prepared to even consider the job under those conditions? The expectations are so high and the likelihood of success so low that imho anyone taking on the England job could only ever be doing it for the money, and maybe to add a bit of prestige/negotiating positions in their later careers as a "former international coach".

Weston, you're so right.

Football is a targets related job.

In any target related job, the base salary is low, with excellent OTE.

Football should be the same. Then see the passion and desire to win/succeed.

Alps - again, don't disagree entirely, but we can't put the blame squarely at Rooney's feet

England have to do what Germany did in the last World Cup and just play the kids in the main. if we go into the tournament with any of Lampard, Barry, Milner, Downing (**** me he's ****), Ferdinand or Bent in the side then we may as well not bother going. If Rooney gets more than a one game ban I'd be tempted to leave him out as well. I'd still make a case for Ashley Cole, Terry and Gerrard if he's fit but the rest can **** off.

Hart

Smalling, Jones, Terry, Cole

Wilshere, Gerrard, Parker

Walcott, Carroll, Young

The figure (widely quoted!) is £6 million per year !

Considering that many of the SA 2010 squad reckoned that they had no idea what he was on about most of the time, that seems just a 'tad' excessive !

Basically the FA bigwigs are clueless and the whole setup is a joke !!

Best thing to do now is to not play him in these upcoming friendlies.

Without Rooney we're a completely dismal side (when we're not going out of our way to look like one when at full strength) and so its time to learn to play without him. Leave him out, explore the other options, find a game plan that does not rely on someone who is unreliable with a mentality and attitude like that.

The thought of players like Terry, Lumpard and Rooney representing our country at the Euros again is just depressing. I think I will actually enjoy watching them get d!cked this time around, at least then there is a good chance of the next manager giving them the bullet.

Hopefully the the media hype leading up to the tournament will be absent now and we'll also be spared seeing the site of cars with St George's Crosses on them.

Will not happen.

The media hype will be bigger than ever - so they can have a bigger go at Where's Wally when we get hammered and don't get through the group stages - remember Turnip Taylor!

As a result of this, the St Georges flags will be out in force, with every other house decorated with them, and cars with them all over the bodywork.

It'll be truly cringeworthy as ever, but I for one - and not for the first time - will not be participating at all. I can safely say I'd rather watch Eastenders or whatever will be on the other side when the games are on. I was planning to go and stay in my mother in laws flat South of Warsaw for the final fortnight, but really can't be bothered to do that as Spain tickets will be as rare as rocking horse teeth!

I genuinely think Chambo will be going to Euro 2012.

Lolz to much of the green stuff is gonna adle your noodle,

Its down to the Wags why we are shyt if we manège to get to any finals, They are held during the summer brake and if there man is unlucky nuff to be picked He has to train his bollix off and feck off with the team, And they get to sulk while the other Wags text message them all day, how the are burning there T*ts off in the Bahamas, all work and no play sort of sh*t.

Lolz to much of the green stuff is gonna adle your noodle,

Its down to the Wags why we are shyt if we manège to get to any finals, They are held during the summer brake and if there man is unlucky nuff to be picked He has to train his bollix off and feck off with the team, And they get to sulk while the other Wags text message them all day, how the are burning there T*ts off in the Bahamas, all work and no play sort of sh*t.

god, you are so illiterate

Pretty good article from Gary Neville about England:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2046899/We-stop-focusing-Wayne-Rooney-deal-Englands-REAL-problems--Gary-Neville.html

It’s as though we think that one world-class player might be able to propel us to a major trophy. And now we’re talking about Rooney possibly missing two games at Euro 2012 when what we should be talking about is the spine of a team that has no mobility and can’t keep the ball.

When I look at it coldly, a team that has John Terry, Gary Cahill, Scott Parker, Gareth Barry, Darren Bent and Rooney in its central positions is nowhere near good enough to take on the major nations such as Spain.

I think any manager is always under subtle but great pressure to pick the "brand" names. In no particular order

the clubs who want the publicity, the FA and even the media who have favorite players. Why? well IMHO

money is probably the major issue as the names can get more money from sponsors than less well known

players and the media can sell more TV time / papers as more people will watch / read about names they

know more than up and coming lads.

Good article from Neville. Although I think people are a tad harsh on Darren Bent, I rate him and he's a proven goalscorer. I agree with the rest though, drop Terry, Parker (f*ck know's how he gets in the england team), Rooney, Rio etc and take the kids out there who actually want to play and have something to prove.

We're obviously not going to win it so I say take the youngsters out and lets start building for the 2016 Euro's, possible even the 2014 world cup if we pull our fingers out, get rid of Cappello and get someone proven and who wants the job, hopefully with Beckham or Shearer in the background. I'd happily let Stuart Pearce take the reigns, seem's to me he cares alot about the u21's and would make a great first team manager.

England, No skill + No pace = No chance.

Parker is a decent enough player, far better and classy then Gareth Barry IMO. He is much more balanced in the middle but still I would rather have Wilshere and Gerrard there come the summer if the truth be known.

At least Gerrard gives a f*ck when he pulls on the three lions, he was one of the only players to actually look devastated when we crashed out to germany, that fat pr*ck Lampard walked off of the pitch laughing and joking, and it was then that it dawned on me just how little some of these players cared about representing england.

We could have potantially had a very good squad built up for the Euros, as someone else had said, drop the older dead wood and bed in a solid young team that could cut it come the WC. After all, Euros are the WC's lesser cousin.

A team such as

Hart

Smalling/Richards/Walker Cahill/Jones/Jagielka/Dawson Cole/Baines

Young/Downing Gerrard/Cleverly/Huddlestone/Wilshere/Parker Walcott/Chambo/Johnson

Rooney/Welbeck/Sturridge/Carroll (though I don't rate him at all)/Bent

We have the makings of a decent young team there, but I think its more down to the FA then to the manager, playing the likes of brand beckham/Lampard etc is a much bigger money swinger than the younger sides.

And as for smaller sides being stronger bla bla bla, Germany, spain and Holland have all qualified only too easily.