Liverpool v Saints starting lineup...

Unbelievable Jeff

What does everyone think our first lineup of the season will look like? Here is mine:

-------------------GK - Forster

RB - Clyne CB - Fonte CB Van Dijk LB - Targett

-----------DMC - Wanyama CM - JWP

----AMR - Ramirez AMC - Davis AML - Tadic

--------------------ST - Pelle

Got to say I would be pretty happy with that lineup, with the 3 behind the striker switching positions. See who drops out on form when Rodriguez comes back...

Based on what I saw yesterday evening, Targett is no way up to PL quality. He will get eaten alive by Liverpool. So, with a different LB, Id be otherwise quite comfortable with that starting line up.

I'm not saying he's up to PL quality but I do remember people on this forum saying the same about Shaw when he made his full debut against Stevenage in the cup.

Based on what I saw yesterday evening, Targett is no way up to PL quality. He will get eaten alive by Liverpool. So, with a different LB, Id be otherwise quite comfortable with that starting line up.

Was he poor? Strange because from other commentators I have seen he was pretty impressive by all accounts?

Was he poor? Strange because from other commentators I have seen he was pretty impressive by all accounts?

In my opinion I thought he was almost out of his depth, and this was against a defensive Swindon Town. The gulf between him and Shaw is remarkable.

But, Targett is only 18, has lots of room for improvement, and it's a bit harsh to compare him to Shaw (who can be seen as something of a one of a kind). I'm not going to dispute what others are saying, but the only way I could describe Targett as impressive is in light of his distant future and not because he's ready to start against Liverpool (because he isn't).

Why are we dropping Artur? He kept us in several games and was absolutely immense for us last season (apart from the Arsenal game...).

Because if Forster decides to join for £7-9m and big wages he's unlikely to sit on the bench. What it would do is provide genuine competition for the keeper spot, with both Boruc and Forster knowing they can't be complacent and if they lose form they'd be replaced by the other in the starting line-up. Something that is unlikely to happen at the moment with Boruc as there is a big drop in quality to Davis/Gazzaniga.

No-one putting Chambers in at rb? He's been outstanding from what Ive seen of him preseason (highlights only so far).

Yeah it's a really tough call, he looks to have bulked up physically in pre-season like Shaw before him. I would abstain on this one, but would suggest that Clyne has the better attacking skills and Chambers the better defensive depending on whats needed game by game, but it is really marginal.

BORUC

CLYNE FONTE DUNNO DUNNO

JWP WANYAMA CORK

DUNNO PELLE TADIC

I think the only other time we had three bothers in the same line up would have been the Wallaces. Did the Dunno boys graduate from the academy?

I've seen Targett play about 10 times now and there's nothing that I've seen to suggest he wouldn't get absolutely eaten alive at PL level. I'd love to proved wrong but I honestly think he'll find his level at championship/league 1.

Sims, Reed, Gallagher and Stephens look far more likely to make it IMO.

Cant believe so many are putting Targett in when, if we havent signed a recognised left back by then, the obvious short term solution is Clyne at LB, Chambers at RB.
Agreed, it will be that. Targett has got bags of potential, but will need a bit of time to develop, not every young player will do a Luke Shaw. I think we'll sign a left back by this game anyway, so makes it all irrelevant.

Yeah it's a really tough call, he looks to have bulked up physically in pre-season like Shaw before him. I would abstain on this one, but would suggest that Clyne has the better attacking skills and Chambers the better defensive depending on whats needed game by game, but it is really marginal.

I reckon Chambers will likely prove himself as first choice this season, but I really like Clyne. It would be great to find some way of working them both into the team without shoving Clyne into left back

I'm sure Chambers has played CB before for the youth teams. Perhaps that way we can fit him and Clyne in the team, although I can't see it happening.

Boruc

Clyne - Chambers - Fonte - ????

Cork - Wanyama - JWP

Davis - Pelle - Tadic

Based on our current options, I'd be tempted to try this. I'm certain we will have a new LB in by the time we go to Anfield. Targett just isn't ready for that kind of baptism.

What does everyone think our first lineup of the season will look like? Here is mine:

-------------------GK - Forster

RB - Clyne CB - Fonte CB Van Dijk LB - Targett

-----------DMC - Wanyama CM - JWP

----AMR - Ramirez AMC - Davis AML - Tadic

--------------------ST - Pelle

Got to say I would be pretty happy with that lineup, with the 3 behind the striker switching positions. See who drops out on form when Rodriguez comes back...

This is who is lining up for Liverpool yes?

Based on last night the Central Midfielder will play advanced on two DM's who will join in on occasion. The three behind Pelle (two wide guts and the CM) did not swap or rotate, and Pelle is not going to do any channel work, dropping wide or indeed short like Rickie did (although I think we knew that). Full backs will get involved on occasion. I believe this is how Feynoord played under RK so probably not a surprise.

Don't understand the fanfare around playing Clyne at LB. With our system we get most of width from our full backs, not wingers. If we play Clyne at LB he will just cut inside to use his left foot, reducing the width we have. Without Lallana this will be even more important than last year imo. So LB would be Targett or new signing for me.

I think we may find "our system" is now less reliant on FB's for width. Last night Isgrove and McQueen in the first 60 mins, then Mayuka and Sinclair dd this much more than the FB's an operated like wingers. Clearly Tadic is destined to fill one of those berths.

Don't understand the fanfare around playing Clyne at LB. With our system we get most of width from our full backs, not wingers. If we play Clyne at LB he will just cut inside to use his left foot, reducing the width we have. Without Lallana this will be even more important than last year imo. So LB would be Targett or new signing for me.

I think we may find "our system" is now less reliant on FB's for width. Last night Isgrove and McQueen in the first 60 mins, then Mayuka and Sinclair dd this much more than the FB's an operated like wingers. Clearly Tadic is destined to fill one of those berths.

Others saying the FBs are getting even further under RK's system - which is it?

I didn't see it that way last night, they do get forward but I didn't feel on balance they were as far advanced as last season. The more "fixed" positions on the front players had an influence on this IMO. To be fair with different personnel, against different opposition things will no doubt look different, we have to see. One friendly game with only three or four who will start against 'Pool, L1 opposition and slow pace is not a definitive view (and my opinion and I'm sure others saw if different as ever !)

Others saying the FBs are getting even further under RK's system - which is it?

I didn't see it that way last night, they do get forward but I didn't feel on balance they were as far advanced as last season. The more "fixed" positions on the front players had an influence on this IMO. To be fair with different personnel, against different opposition things will no doubt look different, we have to see. One friendly game with only three or four who will start against 'Pool, L1 opposition and slow pace is not a definitive view (and my opinion and I'm sure others saw if different as ever !)

Cheers. So were Isgrove and McQueen staying wide, not cutting in? If so, who was getting close to/feeding off Pelle? Were the CMs providing much support to him?

Thanks for your first-hand account. Might be a change than what we have been used to for the past few seasons then!

Boruc

Chambers Fonte Yoshida Clyne

Davis Wanyama Cork

Gaston Pelle Tadic

With the current squad as it is (which it won't be but because we a WILL sign players), and assuming Morgan, Osvaldo and Dejan are gone, this is our best line up.

Doesnt look too bad, does it?!?! Granted, centre back could be stronger, and we wouldn't want to rely on Clyne at left back all season (although Azoilicueta did a job for Chelsea on the wrong side) but it could be worse. Weak in squad, but with a fairly strong first XI.

Now add the signings, and it becomes:

New GK

Clyne

Fonte

New CB

New LB

Davis

Wanyama

Cork

Ramirez

Pelle

Tadic.

...which highlights the positions that need sorting.

Clyne is better than chambers IMO the way koeman play suits Clyne too

Agreed , i think this season will be a big season for Clyne ....if you look at the games he played in last season even he does tend to make things happen around the box , we need this very much

Sorry to come back to this a day later, but what was seen at Swindon was a pre-season friendly and not enough to judge a player. Based on the Swindon game we have no strikers of Prem quality since they all failed to score, some given fairly easy chances. Matt Targett didn't get into the England u-19 by being a poor player and he will only become a premier standard player by plating premier league games. If Koeman and the coaches think he's up to it, and they work with him every day, that would be a more reliable basis of assessment than watching an hour of a friendly match from the stands.

Based on last night the Central Midfielder will play advanced on two DM's who will join in on occasion. The three behind Pelle (two wide guts and the CM) did not swap or rotate, and Pelle is not going to do any channel work, dropping wide or indeed short like Rickie did (although I think we knew that). Full backs will get involved on occasion. I believe this is how Feynoord played under RK so probably not a surprise.

I'd be seriously worried about these two guys behind Pelle. Players nowadays are paid a fortune and should be far more responsible for their conduct during the close season.

FFS.....