New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

People are turning their nose up at Pellegrini? Maybe those Everton fans are right and we do think we're too big for our boots.

I am starting to wonder when we became such a massive force in the football world. ?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

People are turning their nose up at Pellegrini? Maybe those Everton fans are right and we do think we're too big for our boots.

Crazy, isn't it?

Pellegrini would push us further towards the top four than Koeman.

Real Madrid and new Man City (and a Premier League title) on his CV, as well as incredible jobs with Malaga and Villarreal, we'd be insane not to consider him.

Ranieri is three years older. How did that work out for them?

Yeah and he had just ruined his reputation by losing to the Faroe islands and being a terrible international manager he had something to prove and his stock was low. Can't say the same for Pellegrini what's he going to think he can achieve with us he couldn't with Citeh?

1 league title, 2 league cup's and a Champions League semi final at City (yes I know they had the resources to possibly do more but it wasn't a failure). But I look more at getting to a CL quarter final with Malaga after selling a lot of their best players amid financial crisis (which he decided to stay through) and only losing to Dortmund who went on to reach the final and if I remember rightly there was some controversial decisions that lead to them going out that night. He's not amazing, but he's very good, and has a CV way beyond most of what we've appointed in the past, so the dismissing of Pellegrini on here is surprising! But I do accept that his age may be a factor in why the club don't want him, just don't think it should mean that us as fans don't!

Its got nothing to do with being to big for our boots he just doesn't fit the sort of manager the club goes for. If he was coming straight from Spain to manage for the first time in the PL maybe but coming from man city what motivation is going to have. He's made it clear he wants to stay in the PL if he comes here it would just be for convenience rather than any great desire to succeed.

Disappointing if its true that De Boer is out of the running. Sounds like Emery is a non starter too. Poll is now a case of ranking by most objectionable rather than any sense of excitement for me at least.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that there's a hidden left field option out(Bielsa) that might at least stir some excitement in me.

If he was coming straight from Spain to manage for the first time in the PL maybe but coming from man city what motivation is going to have. He's made it clear he wants to stay in the PL if he comes here it would just be for convenience rather than any great desire to succeed.

Spoken to him much? God knows how Ranieri roused himself for Leicester after Inter, Roma, Juventus and Chelsea.

Yeah and he had just ruined his reputation by losing to the Faroe islands and being a terrible international manager he had something to prove and his stock was low. Can't say the same for Pellegrini what's he going to think he can achieve with us he couldn't with Citeh?

football mangers tend to want to manage football teams. Why need something to prove? That wouldn't have been Ranieri's driving force either. Leicester board probably thought that wealth of experience managing in different countries invaluable - admit I thought a massive mistake at the time.

Would like Pellegrini but unlikely.

Ranieri didnt become a bad manager over night... in fact he never became a bad manager, sometimes things happen that are beyond your control.

How did Pellegrini cope having left Real Madrid for Malaga? Come on.

At the season's end the players were briefed to expect a harder tougher regime next season.

Perhaps Ron's methods were expected to change next season?

I get the feeling, maybe unfairly, that Ron was/is a bit of a lazy manager. Personally I thought we looked lethargic for large parts of the first half of the season and not exactly great towards the end of the previous one either. I remember thinking countless times "what has happened to our pressing?" Perhaps the board think that had we had a different, harder training regime we may have achieved a better league position than 6th.

Reports emerging in Italy that Frank De Boer is the new Lazio manager, allegedly: http://www.football-italia.net/85466/report-lazio-pick-de-boer

Goes against what he said a couple of years ago then "I prefer the Premier League, Bundesliga and La Liga," de Boer told Gazzetta dello Sport. "Italian football is very much in decline." http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9300426/eredivisie-frank-de-boer-open-to-premier-league-move

Just a thought, already alluded to above, but with this new direction and the five year plan and no single manager staying for 5 years, how about and older+experienced manager with a younger+upcoming manager as his undestudy who eventually takes over thus giving a collective total of a 5 year 'lifespan'.

That fits in with our 'bring them through' philosopy?

(no, no idea who these mgrs may be, know way too little about footie, so leave it to you experts to fill in the blanks)

AVB failed at Spurs, failed at Chelsea so are you guys hoping it's third time lucky? Common sense says surely he just ain't good enough for the Premier league.

Have a look at my post on the first page of this thread, I think it's a little lazy to just write off his English football ability based on those two jobs. Those jobs weren't as they looked on the tin, very political.

Just a thought, already alluded to above, but with this new direction and the five year plan and no single manager staying for 5 years, how about and older+experienced manager with a younger+upcoming manager as his undestudy who eventually takes over thus giving a collective total of a 5 year 'lifespan'.

(no, no idea who these mgrs may be, know way too little about footie, so leave it to you experts to fill in the blanks)

Sounds like Pellegrini & Howe then! Or maybe Neville?

Its got nothing to do with being to big for our boots he just doesn't fit the sort of manager the club goes for. If he was coming straight from Spain to manage for the first time in the PL maybe but coming from man city what motivation is going to have. He's made it clear he wants to stay in the PL if he comes here it would just be for convenience rather than any great desire to succeed.

Agree.

His birthday isn't in March unlike our last three managers.

I keep saying Gus Hiddink would be a fantastic manager for us, good tactician, good knowledge of the game and a good people person from what I've heard from mates who support Chelsea. But then again there's also LVG !

I'd take LvG. He has a good history and had some major handicaps at Man U.

Didn't vote straight away as I wanted to think about it.

Emery - would obviously be an incredible appointment but I'm concerned about lack of English and if we did get him, not sure he'd be here more than a year.

Pellegrini - big name with history of doing well with clubs our size (Malaga) but I think it unlikely. Doesn't fit the ethos of the club at all, so a no on that one.

Howe - I think he'll be our manager one day but for now, still think he's a couple of years away from being ready.

Moyes - people exaggerate his failings. Imagine if he'd been linked whilst he was still at Everton - we'd be creaming ourselves. He'd add stability and make us hard to beat, but I don't think he has the brand of football the club want.

AVB - stitched up at Chelsea, did alright at Spurs... But doesn't want to come back to England. Think it's a non starter personally

That leaves De Boer. Young, plays the right style, decent record in Europe. I think it's a no brainer when you compare him to the other options that he would be the clubs choice. So he's my choice too

I'd take LvG. He has a good history and had some major handicaps at Man U.

I wouldn't mind a £250m handicap! He made a royal mess of the team at Utd to be honest, given the money he had and the failure he seemed to have integrating any half decent attackers into his team (Di Maria, Depay etc). I think he was a good club manager a few years back, great success in other leagues, but the game has possibly left him behind a bit and I imagine he will retire.

So....FdB is highly rated, stock has probably fallen slightly in the last couple of seasons as PSV have pipped Ajax to the post, but he's still done a great job there. 4 consecutive dutch league titles and CL/EL progression isn't something to be sniffed at. I also remember when we played Ajax at a pre-season game a few years ago, possibly when we were in L1? FdB had great things to say about our academy after the game and actually picked out young JWP for specific praise.

!

Most impressive thing about winning those titles is that he did it with pretty much only youth players from the academy. Every year Ajax sold their best players (Blind, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, vd Wiel etc) and all they did was buying other young talents. Its the reason why PSV now won the title twice in a row if you ask me, they did spent some cash on older and more experienced players. Ajax just dumped pretty much all the money on their bank account and still they either won the title or were close to winning it.

Plus maybe de Boer can bring Tete along with him, that kid is going to be one hell of a player in a few years. Most talented right-back i've seen in a long while in Holland. Bazoer would be nice as well but he's probably a mission impossible.

What the agent who said De Boer is not interested.

Unless the deal with Lazio is almost done and dusted, I find it really odd that the agent would say this, especially when he has put it out there that he wants a PL job (Everton, Swansea links)

You can read so much into it I guess...

Good - something is actually happening and attention is being diverted

Bad - agent knows all about Saints from Ronald days and has steered FDB away from us?

Plus maybe de Boer can bring Tete along with him, that kid is going to be one hell of a player in a few years. Most talented right-back i've seen in a long while in Holland. Bazoer would be nice as well but he's probably a mission impossible.

How would Anwar El Ghazi do over here?

Unless the deal with Lazio is almost done and dusted, I find it really odd that the agent would say this, especially when he has put it out there that he wants a PL job (Everton, Swansea links)

You can read so much into it I guess...

Good - something is actually happening and attention is being diverted

Bad - agent knows all about Saints from Ronald days and has steered FDB away from us?

Except the same agent was apparently advising Koeman to stay....

Pellegrini and Kelvin [emoji33][emoji106]

Voted for Emery although I don't think it's realistic, but take him and de Boer off that list and it's a pretty underwhelming one. My hunch is that our new manager won't be any of the names on that list. Perhaps someone like Murat Yakin who was quite heavily linked before Ron got the job?

I don't get the clamour for AVB. Must admit I was surprised to read he had a record points haul at Spurs but I think a large part of that was down to having Bale, plus IIRC they actually finished fourth under Redkrapp before AVB took over. He was hated by Chelsea fans and not much more popular among Spurs fans, and my over-riding memories are of him looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights, and also a pretty dull style of play. I'd much rather gamble on Howe than AVB.

Voted for Emery although I don't think it's realistic, but take him and de Boer off that list and it's a pretty underwhelming one. My hunch is that our new manager won't be any of the names on that list. Perhaps someone like Murat Yakin who was quite heavily linked before Ron got the job?

I don't get the clamour for AVB. Must admit I was surprised to read he had a record points haul at Spurs but I think a large part of that was down to having Bale, plus IIRC they actually finished fourth under Redkrapp before AVB took over. He was hated by Chelsea fans and not much more popular among Spurs fans, and my over-riding memories are of him looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights, and also a pretty dull style of play. I'd much rather gamble on Howe than AVB.

I don't think Howe is a genuine option, although stranger things have happened. If avb was appointed then presumably the board would have a say in the style of play the club expects.

Plus, Koeman was a far better dutch centre back than De Boer!

Tony Adams was a better defender than Pochettino, doesn't mean he's a better coach :)

What Ronald has over FdB though is a bigger coaching career in different countries.