New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

Telelgraph article says appointment won't be imminent but Reed has a shortlist.

I think a week or so ago we fully expected Koeman to sign for us.

Of course, depending who you believe, we may have been planning for this for months.

Telelgraph article says appointment won't be imminent but Reed has a shortlist.

I think a week or so ago we fully expected Koeman to sign for us.

Well Reed always makes a thing about forward planning and having bases covered in circumstances such as these so I cant see it being long.

He will want to make a show of this again IMO

Well Reed always makes a thing about forward planning and having bases covered in circumstances such as these so I cant see it being long.

He will want to make a show of this again IMO

Agree. It is one thing gathering data and opinions on prospective appointments though and another thing having to put it into action.

I imagine we have been looking more towards next summer in terms of making a change so would require a certain amount of luck at things falling into place as well as the notorious planning.

Agree. It is one thing gathering data and opinions on prospective appointments though and another thing having to put it into action.

I imagine we have been looking more towards next summer in terms of making a change so would require a certain amount of luck at things falling into place as well as the notorious planning.

There is also the fact a number of managers are now out of contract and fall in our lap like Pellegrini/Flores/De Boer etc that suddenly get added to any list.

Pellegrini buys us a bit of time 2-3 years of further growth with no further leaving for "dream job" yes it flies in the face of what we state but sometimes you have to grab opportunities of employing managers like him.

How great is it that our expectations have moved on from the likes of Hughes/Pulis/Warnock/McLaren and I am thankful that tw8t Rodgers is at Celtic.

I heard we like Rowett and I like Warburton neither are ready yet but Pellegrini could buy us that time if he works out.

So we are keeping the biggestist most massivist club in the whole world other than Spurs waiting until Les announces the most ridiculously good replacement and we can all laugh at some of the noisy and rather silly Everton fans who are delighting themselves with our perceived situation and how next season they will be challenging for the title.

There is also the fact a number of managers are now out of contract and fall in our lap like Pellegrini/Flores/De Boer etc that suddenly get added to any list.

Pellegrini buys us a bit of time 2-3 years of further growth with no further leaving for "dream job" yes it flies in the face of what we state but sometimes you have to grab opportunities of employing managers like him.

How great is it that our expectations have moved on from the likes of Hughes/Pulis/Warnock/McLaren and I am thankful that tw8t Rodgers is at Celtic.

I heard we like Rowett and I like Warburton neither are ready yet but Pellegrini could buy us that time if he works out.

We aren't going to be interested in a stop gap IMO.

Definitely grear we have higher expectations and its a sign of how well the club has done.

But far from easy to keep churning out top quality managerial appointments every two years so still a massive decision ahead for Reed and co.

We aren't going to be interested in a stop gap IMO.

Definitely grear we have higher expectations and its a sign of how well the club has done.

But far from easy to keep churning out top quality managerial appointments every two years so still a massive decision ahead for Reed and co.

Look at average stay for a manager anywhere - 18 months. I do worry we will eventually make the wrong appointment but consider the past, Stuart Gray, Dodd/Gorman, Poortvliet that pr1ck Hoddle without Eileen :-).

We do need a manager with experience of handling players we have thats why Howe is a no-no for me.

That's not getting stripped of all their decent players the previous summer!

Finishing a mediocre 14th with none of those players being seen as "decent" by any other club kinda helped them. Vardy - 5 goals in 36 appearances. Let's not pretend they were beating clubs away from their superstars.

Telegraph article says no imminent appointment but we do have a shortlist.

O.M.G, I have just had a real horrible thought, please God tell me I am completely wrong, STEVE BRUCE, why has that flashed up in my mind; could it be how he used to sing our praises, one phrase was how we were the best of the rest outside of the what was then top six, need to rush to the bathroom.

Villas-Boas' is a great tactician but I'm not sold on his coaching ability (maybe its because he's relatively young - although poch is testimony to that). I don't get those ripping Eddie Howe. The guy has brought Bournemouth from LEAGUE TWO. Everyone saying his main achievement is avoiding relegation; I imagine almost everyone thought they would be the first to get relegated - and that was before almost all of their key players were injured. He's done a fine job there, I would take him.

Villas-Boas' is a great tactician but I'm not sold on his coaching ability (maybe its because he's relatively young - although poch is testimony to that). I don't get those ripping Eddie Howe. The guy has brought Bournemouth from LEAGUE TWO. Everyone saying his main achievement is avoiding relegation; I imagine almost everyone thought they would be the first to get relegated - and that was before almost all of their key players were injured. He's done a fine job there, I would take him.

He has done a great job at Bournemouth, but he didn't at Burnley. They also aren't the minnows that everyone makes them out to be they have spent a fair bit on their way up. A Bournemouth supporting friend of mine says he has too much loyalty to some players (Grabban as an example). He might be a great manager and may prove that elsewhere one day, but plenty of managers 'click' with a particular club and can't replicate it elsewhere. Curbishley and Charlton off the top of my head.

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach

Looks like Unai Emery will not be heading to the Premier League - I'm told a move to PSG is close

I don't anyone would be unhappy with Blanc if he came here! His teams play nice football as well.

Wow. De Boer. Former #Ajax manager Frank de Boer "is very close to become the new coach of Southampton FC". #SaintsFC tweet from dutchsaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think FDB would be a great fit for us. Young, ambitious, believes in the youth system and speaks good English. Ticks all the boxes and should ensure continuity and is a good name to attract decent players.

Sadly, like Adkins before him, I don't believe Howe would have the same sort of pull - and as he has full control at Bournemouth not a good fit because that is not the Southampton way.

"We are a small club, but we're the kind of small club that can beat anyone. We can embarrass Liverpool, cause Mourinho & Chelsea to go into breakdown, cost Arsenal the title, cost Spurs their top-2 finish. A last-minute equaliser to draw at Old Trafford is the worst result we've got there in three seasons.

We're starting to become universally disliked by almost all of the big clubs for one very simple reason; whilst we're a small club that they constantly feel they should take 6 points from, not one of them can ever count on beating or even sneaking a point against Southampton.

We've inflicted battle scars on all of them. Big time."

Love this! Think I might get it framed.

I heard we like Rowett...

Where did you hear that?

I ask because I put his name out there on Friday, mostly because I get 24/7 info from my Zulu supporting best mate and so couldn't resist suggesting him (I doubt anyone would have even mentioned him otherwise) and what do you know a few days later it becomes a rumour that the club likes him.

The inter web is a wonderful thing.

Where did you hear that?

I ask because I put his name out there on Friday, mostly because I get 24/7 info from my Zulu supporting best mate and so couldn't resist suggesting him (I doubt anyone would have even mentioned him otherwise) and what do you know a few days later it becomes a rumour that the club likes him.

The inter web is a wonderful thing.

He's been mentioned around these parts before. Even prior to Ron leaving.

I did some reading up on him - He plays similar to Leicester. Organised defence, tough to break down then counter-attack with quality.

I did some reading up on him - He plays similar to Leicester. Organised defence, tough to break down then counter-attack with quality.

There was a good Sky interview with him after their live game with Cardiff and he said they play that way because they have some pacy players but aren't the greatest squad technically so thats what works best with the blend they had.

Comes across well and will surely have a good management career. May well be on our shortlist but as a 6th place PL side you would probably say its too big a step just now. Of lesser proven Coaches I think Howe would be ahead of Rowett for me.

Quite frankly the job he has done at Brum is phenomenal. When he joined, their squad was woeful and he had buttons to improve it. I had them as dead certs for relegation but they never looked even remotely like they would. They have kicked on and that is testament to his ability.

I guess there are too many question marks for him to get our job, are those skills transferable to a premiership side, can he inspire the current players and can he attract other decent players when he gets here.

Concerning Rowett, I've mentioned him before, turned Brum around after Lee Clark had them sitting near the bottom of the league. He is definitely on the radar for the future. Martin Hunter said this about him when talking about English coaches;

"One of the best is Gary Rowett. He understands about observation and communication, has a good eye for a player and has good tactical and technical sense.’’

From this article; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/11199367/St-Marys-is-the-perfect-academy-for-youngsters-at-the-Southampton-dream-factory.html

There was a good Sky interview with him after their live game with Cardiff and he said they play that way because they have some pacy players but aren't the greatest squad technically so thats what works best with the blend they had.

Comes across well and will surely have a good management career. May well be on our shortlist but as a 6th place PL side you would probably say its too big a step just now. Of lesser proven Coaches I think Howe would be ahead of Rowett for me.

Some good points. Howe ahead, but I just don't see him leaving them for us.

Some good points. Howe ahead, but I just don't see him leaving them for us.

Possibly but at some stage we may need to throw our weight around like others do to us.

If we rate him that highly then make it attractive enough (not just financially) for him to change his mind...like Koeman has.

Quite frankly the job he has done at Brum is phenomenal. When he joined, their squad was woeful and he had buttons to improve it. I had them as dead certs for relegation but they never looked even remotely like they would. They have kicked on and that is testament to his ability.

I guess there are too many question marks for him to get our job, are those skills transferable to a premiership side, can he inspire the current players and can he attract other decent players when he gets here.

Yep, I agree. The very same team that Lee Clark had languishing at the bottom were transformed pretty much as soon as he arrived. Just goes to show what a good manager can do without spending any money.

I assumed it would be De Boer, seems to make sense, available, young manager, good record in a league we clearly pay a lot of attention too. Can't say I know anything about him though. I'm not that excited yet but certainly no lesser appointment than Koeman was at the time and wouldn't be seen as a lack of ambition. Getting it wrapped up quickly would be nice to let him start planning.

Of course, if he does well he'll be off in 2-3 years but that's football isn't it. I'd take 2-3 years of success!

I'd argue that he is. Only won trophies with one team, in one country. Koeman won trophies with a couple of different teams in Holland, took Vitesse into Europe and won the domestic cups in Portugal and Spain.