New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

Not sure about Pelligrini,

positives: experience, track record, big name, nice guy, good hair, could attract name players.

negatives: his teams seem to play in fits and starts, doesn't appear to be tactically very flexible, could be looking for one last pay day, very expensive, seems to have wasted a vast amount of money at City (tbf he probably doesn't buy the players but would have had some sort of say).

Looks like a very non-Saints appointment and he could be a bit of an expensive vanity signing, though would obvs worth every penny if he could push us into the top 4. Seems more like a smoke screen while we smuggle in the usual below the radar appointment.

positives: experience, track record, big name, nice guy, good hair, could attract name players.

negatives: his teams seem to play in fits and starts, doesn't appear to be tactically very flexible, could be looking for one last pay day, very expensive, seems to have wasted a vast amount of money at City (tbf he probably doesn't buy the players but would have had some sort of say).

Looks like a very non-Saints appointment and he could be a bit of an expensive vanity signing, though would obvs worth every penny if he could push us into the top 4. Seems more like a smoke screen while we smuggle in the usual below the radar appointment.

Could be the one year stop gap needed before we review Howe at Bournemouth this season.

In the French media this morning its being reported we're after Pelligino

m.goal.com/s/fr/news/28/main/2016/06/06/24332022/southampton-manuel-pellegrini-pour-remplacer-ronald-koeman?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.fr%2F

That's just a reporting of the Mirror piece of a couple of days ago..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manuel-pellegrini-shock-contender-replace-8115980

Not attacking you, but I've seen a couple of posts using style of football against AVB, but none have applied the same logic to FDB. A dutch poster on here claimed he played dull football, and it seems they aren't the only one...

https://m.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/4iyiaa/frank_de_boer_leaves_ajaxdays_after_his_agent/

I just don't see how FDB would be a continuation of our style. I can't remember many occasions during the last five years when our play would have been described as dull but effective.

I'm not defending AVB particularly, but let's at least apply the same rules to both him and FDB.

Agree with you, and I have previously asked much the same about FDB . On the Foreign managers thread I wrote

What marks FDB out though as such a good prospect for us, and what is his style of play ?

Strange to me that he has twice now (at least) openly touted himself for a job in England (spurs & Everton), and on both times he's been overlooked, by raiding our manager as well as it happens.

Read elsewhere that Emery doesn't speak English. Wonder what Poch's old translator is up to now.

Part of the attraction of FDB seems to be his connection with Ajax and their traditions of bringing players through and style of football. To what extent he brings that with him I don't know. I'm certainly not convinced by winning four titles in the Dutch league alone. I have been hoping some of the Dutch posters might give him a glowing refeerence but from what I've seen they've been pretty lukewarm on him.

Doesn't make AVB anymore of an attractive option though.

Could be the one year stop gap needed before we review Howe at Bournemouth this season.

If we appoint Pellegrini then it tends to show that Saints were not as fully prepared for this eventuality as some have suggested.

Or possibly that the Les Reed 'black box' of monitoring 5/6 up and coming coaches is not functioning as it used to.

As another thought on Pelligrini, could he be a steady hand in overseeing a younger coach coming in ? I doubt Howe would work under such a set up, but perhaps another foreign coach (seen the name Marco Silva mentioned a couple of times for example, good but limited track record, too soon to let loose in the EPL ?). Just a thought.

Why would Pellegrini not have been on our radar since City confirmed he was leaving?

Possibly because our tendency has been for younger managers, and we might be looking for someone to buy into the 5 year plan ?

Why would Pellegrini not have been on our radar since City confirmed he was leaving?

Which is now something like 6 months ago. I think we all assume there are potential manager files on the Black Box and if so, they would be constantly updated with that sort of basic information.

Although we are all shocked at Koeman appearing to go back on his word to serve the full 3 years there were warnings that he might not extend with his slightly odd comments about the club needing to show 'ambition'. Many would have thought it has done that consistently. With contract negotiations on the horizon, it would be surprising if the Box hasn't been measuring the alternatives for at least a couple of months, maybe longer because there's always the possibility that even a loyal and committed manager could fall under a bus.

Pellegrini happens to be my first choice, but if I was a gambling man, I'm not sure I'd put money on it. Many would see him as a step up, and for that reason he might see Southampton as a step down.

Possibly because our tendency has been for younger managers, and we might be looking for someone to buy into the 5 year plan ?

Given the length of employment that managers have, isn't it a little unrealistic to expect anyone to buy in for 5 years?

Given the length of employment that managers have, isn't it a little unrealistic to expect anyone to buy in for 5 years?

Exactly, and given that 1. the club continuously update their prospective managers list and 2. Have sacked two of the previous three managers despite contracts its clear the club might believe in the plan, but not in having the same person deliver it.

@riccosrant: A change of agents has helped @Everton secure Ronald Koeman while his former agent is trying to take Frank de Boer to @SouthamptonFC.

This guy was the first UK based journalist to suggest Koeman was keen on Everton (for which I was slated when posting).

@riccosrant: A change of agents has helped @Everton secure Ronald Koeman while his former agent is trying to take Frank de Boer to @SouthamptonFC.

This guy was the first UK based journalist to suggest Koeman was keen on Everton (for which I was slated when posting).

Im liking the agent who bought Koeman here and is now trying to bring de Boer over.

It's a forum, stop being so precious, people don't like bad news.

Unless the Lazio move for FdB is happening, I see zero reason why his agent would say he isn't interest in the Saints job (As per Lewis Coombes' tweet from last night).

His agent was quick to say he'd be interested in both Swansea & Everton in the past.

Because close to retirement, already achieved a lot, looking for a last payday managers are not what we need. Pellegrini will just be going through the motions. We need younger up coming managers with something to prove in the PL.

I disagree with all this criticism of Pellegrini - although I understand that if you only really see his Man City tenure it's difficult to judge. The guy is known for getting smaller clubs a long way on smaller budgets, hence why it didn't overly work out at Real or Man City (although he was pretty good at City - the team generally struggled once Pep had been announced - go figure).

For those talking about 5 year plans - that plan is for the club, not necessarily the manager which in our structure is a replaceable cog of the machine.

Would take Pellegrini any day.

Is that all that's available of (approaching) the required standard ?

OK, then assuming Emery is not available, I'd go with DeBoer.

Eddie Howe clearly has apron strings issues.

Why wouldnt Erwin Koeman be any good in the hot seat ?

Quite amusing, but possibly a bit unfair. I doubt Mrs Howe would begrudge him turning left out of his drive in Verwood or wherever to head to Staplewood, rather than left to AFCB of a morning.

Whether he is ready for it is another matter.

Erwin - I've also wondered this although his track record isn't great reading on Wikipedia.

Because close to retirement, already achieved a lot, looking for a last payday managers are not what we need. Pellegrini will just be going through the motions. We need younger up coming managers with something to prove in the PL.

Ranieri is three years older. How did that work out for them?

Because he'll be going with his brother to Everton, you'll moan we've gone for the cheap option and say we're being run like a B and B.

When Guan made reference to a change of direction towards the back end of the season I'd be interested to see if he can expand on that and / or if the change of direction he mentioned refers to a Manager that he thinks we may not be able to get now.

Hope the change of direction wasn't referring to league position

When Guan made reference to a change of direction towards the back end of the season I'd be interested to see if he can expand on that and / or if the change of direction he mentioned refers to a Manager that he thinks we may not be able to get now.

Did Guan impart that info before or after the Koeman news broke?

We won't go for Pellegrini unless about 5 or 6 others turn us down. Not because he isn't a good Manager but because he isn't what we are looking for.

Read Guan's comments, its obvious our profile is of a younger Manager.

That's a shame. Age shouldn't be a factor (and against the law).

It's whether the candidate has the attributes, attitude and characteristics to apply to the role which is important.

I hope the black box goes into more detail than listing managerial statistics. We can all create an Excel spreadsheet of one those. I'd hope the Saints management team would be able to have a chat with likely candidates at various football gatherings to gain insights of what makes them tick, be able to see what they brought to previous clubs and such like.

His brother is the cheapest option and so knowing Saints!!!

I did post that this was going to be the case from what I heard some months ago

At the season's end the players were briefed to expect a harder tougher regime next season.

Most clubs 'work' their players six days a week but normally only for around three hours in the morning. Under Koeman Saints supposedly gave the players Sunday to Tuesday off. At first sight that sounds a bit lazy, but imo a lot of the reason for teams fading is mental and physical exhaustion rather than lack of fitness.