New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

The only appeal of Eddie Howe for me is to **** on someone else for a change, rather than having it done to us. But I really think we need someone who has managed in European competition before, risky to be taking a gamble on someone without that experience when there may be a lot of change over the summer.

And you like the fact that Bournemouth struggled to play football all season?..................mind you we might yet depending on whose left after September.

The only appeal of Eddie Howe for me is to **** on someone else for a change, rather than having it done to us. But I really think we need someone who has managed in European competition before, risky to be taking a gamble on someone without that experience when there may be a lot of change over the summer.

We've been doing that to celtic for some time, to be fair.

After the initial shock anger and let down of Koeman's unexpected (to me) move, I have come to think it may not be such a bad thing. Two years is as much as we can expect from any manager these days, if they are good they move to higher things (not that I call Everton higher, just richer) and if they are not good they get the sack. So my criteria for the successor is, will he give two good years---FdeB would, Pellegrini would, Emery would (IMO) but Eddie Howe would have a big question mark--nice guy, but unproven. By the way, I forecast Bournemouth for the drop next season, with or without him.

I went for Pellegrini on the basis of his philosophy being an entertaining one, and his record of getting the best out of the players that make football a pleasure to watch (I'm thinking the likes of Tadic & Mane if they stay). Eddie Howe would also fit into this category, but Pellegrini has the edge on him in terms of competition experience and profile.

I'd still be absolutely delighted with Emery and optimistic with de Boer (although we might be a bit boring). As much as I liked Flores at Watford, 2.5yrs is the longest he's stayed anywhere by some distance. Moyes would be massively underwhelming. Not sure how I feel about AVB, lots of convincing arguments for him but still have this nagging feeling that he wouldn't be great...

God, I'm pathetic as I literally have no idea.

I'm going to go with Clarkey's Top 3 choices for the European experience factor - and that they seem to suit the mould of young coach.

My pick will be Emery (despite me doubting he'd want it).

For me, it's between 3. I think the club will look for someone with experience in European competition. One of the real regrets from last year was our lack to make a real fist of it, so with 6 games guaranteed this year I'd imagine appointing a manager who has had this sort of exposure is high on the list.

So....FdB is highly rated, stock has probably fallen slightly in the last couple of seasons as PSV have pipped Ajax to the post, but he's still done a great job there. 4 consecutive dutch league titles and CL/EL progression isn't something to be sniffed at. I also remember when we played Ajax at a pre-season game a few years ago, possibly when we were in L1? FdB had great things to say about our academy after the game and actually picked out young JWP for specific praise.

AVB - I think he was hard done by in England. Chelsea paid Porto something like £15m to get him, and his task was to set about 'dismantling' the old guard - i.e Terry/Lampard/Drogba. That was never going to end well, he was onto a loser as soon as he was instructed to do that to be honest. The 'old' guard played as big a role as getting him out as anyone else. For what it's worth, Romeu played his best Chelsea football under him. He also won the EL with Porto I believe, so has sufficient pedigree in the European competitions.

His first season at Spurs was actually record breaking, people seem to forget that. It still is Spurs highest points total and I believe he had the highest % of wins as any manager they've had in that first year. Granted, he had a superstar in Bale, but he still did a good job that year. He was royally stitched up in the summer though. Bale gone, £80m in the bank, Baldini brought into oversea transfers....and then you get what happened. Players the manager didn't clearly have full say in, being shoe-horned into a team and struggling to find a system for all of them (it was a very lopsided squad). It's harsh that he gets tarnished with that, as his first season was better than anything Spurs have had.

Emery - For me, the least likely. I think as a club/league, this is an attractive job - but I just feel he'll have bigger fish to fry with the likes of Milan and PSG sniffing, if not now, then in the future. He'd be a terrific appointment, no doubts about that.

Personally, I've gone with FdB. I think he's the most likely of the 3 and still a terrific choice. EL experience, winners medals, top level playing career, out of contract...good with young players. He kind of ticks all the boxes of the type we'd look for. I'd obviously be happy with any of those 3 though!

Saved me writing this! :thumbup:

What is it with the press and their love of the word "snub"? It conjures such a negative image. Can't imagine Eddie Howe's agent saying "if that's Southampton on the phone tell 'em to do one. Block their number in fact. Not interested in what they're offering! C*nts!"

Emery, AVB, Howe and FdB all seem to have common characteristics.

Emery would be great but seems the most unlikely on paper.

Of the rest AVB is probably the most 'proven' but then again he hasn't ever stayed anywhere for more than two seasons and key figures at Chelsea, Spurs and Zenit have disliked him and also his negative approach. He would certainly be a risk and some of the national media have already decided they don't like him. That isn't ideal for a team like ours as we tend to court a bit of a press bashing anyway at times so having a strong and well respected Manager helps the image of the Club.

Howe is bright, ambitious, successful at Bournemouth and comes across very well but has a massive question mark outside of that Club. I can understand him not wanting to throw away his reputation at Bournemouth where he is an absolute legend.

De Boer probably seems the least risky and would probably provide the most continuity to Koeman. I would pick him on that basis although would be interesting to know why he has struggled to get a PL job til now despite almost begging for one.

Exciting/interesting times assuming Moyes is not in the frame. That would be awful.

Emery for me. His huge EL experience would come in handy this season, plus its always good to have a manager on board who rates the competition. I think he could be good for us.

If not then I think FDB would be worth giving a go. Howe I think would definitely be good for us, but I think at a time like this we need someone with a bit more experience to steady the ship. Howe would have been who I would have said if it was a more amicable departure with Koeman, next season, were he to go to Arsenal for instance.

I would think De Boer or Pellegrini would both be very keen and both be good appointments. Maybe Frank slightly more so. Emery seems unrealistic. Villas-Boas might also be good if available.

Would avoid Moyes (uninspiring) and Howe (too inexperienced).

I feel a lot of you had no idea who Emery was until he was linked with Everton.

Give people some credit, he did just win the EL. However I didnt know half as much or that he was interested in leaving Sevilla until Everton went in and I'm sure thats true of many.

Regardless of that, my choice is FDB same as it was 2 years ago.

Pathetic and unre alistic candidates with the exception of Moyes.

Ryan Giggs would be a magnivent chouce and fincially feasible

Giggs is amongst bookies leading candidates but doesn't appear in rhe very limited poll choice

At very least OTHER should be on the list

Giggs is amongst bookies leading candidates but doesn't appear in rhe very limited poll choice

0.1/10 http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/southampton/next-permanent-manager

You might have got the wrong forum, you need this one http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/bolton/next-permanent-manager

What's pathetic is anyone suggesting Ryan bloody Giggs or Garry effing Neville as the next manager of a top 6 PL club.

For me, it's between 3. I think the club will look for someone with experience in European competition. One of the real regrets from last year was our lack to make a real fist of it, so with 6 games guaranteed this year I'd imagine appointing a manager who has had this sort of exposure is high on the list.

So....FdB is highly rated, stock has probably fallen slightly in the last couple of seasons as PSV have pipped Ajax to the post, but he's still done a great job there. 4 consecutive dutch league titles and CL/EL progression isn't something to be sniffed at. I also remember when we played Ajax at a pre-season game a few years ago, possibly when we were in L1? FdB had great things to say about our academy after the game and actually picked out young JWP for specific praise.

AVB - I think he was hard done by in England. Chelsea paid Porto something like £15m to get him, and his task was to set about 'dismantling' the old guard - i.e Terry/Lampard/Drogba. That was never going to end well, he was onto a loser as soon as he was instructed to do that to be honest. The 'old' guard played as big a role as getting him out as anyone else. For what it's worth, Romeu played his best Chelsea football under him. He also won the EL with Porto I believe, so has sufficient pedigree in the European competitions.

His first season at Spurs was actually record breaking, people seem to forget that. It still is Spurs highest points total and I believe he had the highest % of wins as any manager they've had in that first year. Granted, he had a superstar in Bale, but he still did a good job that year. He was royally stitched up in the summer though. Bale gone, £80m in the bank, Baldini brought into oversea transfers....and then you get what happened. Players the manager didn't clearly have full say in, being shoe-horned into a team and struggling to find a system for all of them (it was a very lopsided squad). It's harsh that he gets tarnished with that, as his first season was better than anything Spurs have had.

Emery - For me, the least likely. I think as a club/league, this is an attractive job - but I just feel he'll have bigger fish to fry with the likes of Milan and PSG sniffing, if not now, then in the future. He'd be a terrific appointment, no doubts about that.

Personally, I've gone with FdB. I think he's the most likely of the 3 and still a terrific choice. EL experience, winners medals, top level playing career, out of contract...good with young players. He kind of ticks all the boxes of the type we'd look for. I'd obviously be happy with any of those 3 though!

this could easily have been my post. I would be pleased with any of those 3. If Emery's goal is to get a PL job, then the chance that he might come to Southampton is not as slim as it might appear. Man U, City, Chelsea, Tottenham, & Liverpool are all pretty much locked down for at least 2 to 3 years. Maybe Arsenal next year?

Pellegrini wouldn't upset me either.

Moyes and Howe would be ho hum.

I know very little about Flores.

123530810_1.jpg

Must be a full moon.

Julen Lopetegui

Derided for over tinkering with what was arguably the 'best squad' in the league, but has fantastic experience working with youth development, which might fit our '5 year plan' perfectly...

...worth a left field gamble?

I weirdly remember him from either an early Football Manager or Championship Manager.