New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

I'll put it on the record now, If Saints appoint Manuel Pellegrini it will be the biggest knee jerk move since we handed Redknapp the keys to St Marys just to make a point. A bad one. :facepalm:

I'll be happy to be wrong.

I wonder why you think Pellegrini would be a lousy choice? Would he not work well within the structure of the club or is it more the principle that the club would have discarded their planning and resorted to a knee jerk appointment to appease the supporters rather than an appointment they were confident would work out?

Personally, I think Pellegrini would be a great appointment. But obviously it is more important that the board have made an informed choice rather than a seemingly desperate one that appears good on paper but ends up being a poor fit for the club.

The bit in bold. Has this got anything to do with the "new direction" you mentioned a few weeks back? Are we looking at younger mangers in for the long haul with the chance to build sustainably over 4/5 years with 2/3 sales each summer?

Is that really that different from what we were aiming to do now?

The bit in bold. Has this got anything to do with the "new direction" you mentioned a few weeks back? Are we looking at younger mangers in for the long haul with the chance to build sustainably over 4/5 years with 2/3 sales each summer?

Not appointing a 62 year old grizzled veteran is hardly a new direction for us.

Younger managers with something to prove was the old direction.

Yeah, but that hair. Exceptional.

Speaking as someone with a Norwood scale 2, I wholeheartedly agree.

On another note, Zenit fans couldn't stand black players either, so perhaps their judgement isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Me personally, didn't enjoy watching AVB teams do the pass for passings sake thing, 70% possession etc etc but there's probably scope for an improvement in his style. I understood what his teams were trying to do, but the execution of it was poor; kinda sub-Pochettino or Pochettino-lite.

I'll put it on the record now, If Saints appoint Manuel Pellegrini it will be the biggest knee jerk move since we handed Redknapp the keys to St Marys just to make a point. A bad one. :facepalm:

Not the usual profile of manager we look for, granted, but we are talking about a guy who won the PL three seasons ago, has managed Real Madrid, and got Malaga to the QF's in the Champions League. Could do a lot, lot, worse and would be far bigger profile than Koeman was when he arrived at the club (in managerial terms).

Manuel Pellegrini wasn't even on the short-list, unlike De Boer...... (Flores wasn't either, but it was drawn up before the end of the season.

FdB would be ideal for me. I preferred him over Koeman first time around.

From the rumours going around I cant help thinking the club and Koeman were playing contract chicken with each other and its lead to a parting of the ways neither really wanted.

From the rumours going around I cant help thinking the club and Koeman were playing contract chicken with each other and its lead to a parting of the ways neither really wanted.

Agree with you about FDB I always thought he was the first choice for the board last time around as well but wasn't interested at that point.

I'm not sure if many would like his style either. He's notoriously inflexible too, so we wouldn't see the tactical nous displayed from Koeman when things went pear shaped (going 5 at the back, back to basics etc)

For me, there's not many good ones out there; big names, but average coaches. FDB hasn't really a track record that would suggest he'd cut it in the Prem (plus there's the style of footy thing). AVB has a decent one, but is renowned for bland style of footy. Pellegrini looks like a a great name and has had genuine success with middle-sized clubs but his limitations were woefully exposed with more regularity on the past 12 months with City turning in some real abject performances.

Martinez is a busted flush and will probably rock up at Swansea when Guidolin cops it and Moyes is uninspiring, if not solid.

I never thought of Eddie Howe as a Saints manager but part of me thinks he'd actually be OK; he's still learning but if it's a five year project then it'd be good to have someone around who isn't on a timescale to achieve immediate success, nor require huge funds to do so. His style of footbal is good to watch, too.

For me though, and I've said this before: Marco Silva, Olympiakos manager.

He's just won the league there at a canter but it's his style of football at Sporting Lisbon which interested me. They were an interesting team to watch. Once again, a passing team but with incisiveness and when required, a high press. Had notable success with Estoril and won the cup with Sporting before being cruelly disposed of for Jorge Jesus last year.

**** it: anyone who can sport a decent hairline, tan, a skinny white shirt with the sleeves rolled up, skinny trousers and skinny tie gets my vote.

Cheers Guan any guesses as to who the first choice candidate would be?

As much as I would bask in the news of Emery, I thought De Boer was more likely. But Manuel Pellegrini, Christ. His outlay per premier league place must be insane. The new direction isn't just about the manager, it's a comprehensive plan resulting from a ground up study of the club, and where we aim to be.

He just doesn't fit. I don't understand it if it's true.

**** it: anyone who can sport a decent hairline, tan, a skinny white shirt with the sleeves rolled up, skinny trousers and skinny tie gets my vote.

To be fair, Pellegrini does have an excellent, if slighty wild, mane of hair when considering his age.

Emery has a solid thatch but a bit on the greasy lothario side.

Howe, slightly Koeman-esque side-parting but a lot less naff and ginge.

FdB will need to raise his game.

Pellegrini would be a great appointment. Well liked by his players at city, experienced, has won the PREMIER LEAGUE, has done well at smaller clubs (Malaga).

Don't see why the fact he is old makes a difference, saw someone post saying we need a young manager as they are more likely to improve players? Pellegrini is younger than Ranieri. If he wants to come here, it proves he's not motivated by the money as he could easily get a big pay packet elsewhere.

Pellegrini would be a great appointment. Well liked by his players at city, experienced, has won the PREMIER LEAGUE, has done well at smaller clubs (Malaga).

Don't see why the fact he is old makes a difference, saw someone post saying we need a young manager as they are more likely to improve players? Pellegrini is younger than Ranieri. If he wants to come here, it proves he's not motivated by the money as he could easily get a big pay packet elsewhere.

I thought he did a very average job at City to be honest, and that's with everything handed to him on a plate. I just don't think he's that good

To be fair, Pellegrini does have an excellent, if slighty wild, mane of hair when considering his age.

Emery has a solid thatch but a bit on the greasy lothario side.

Howe, slightly Koeman-esque side-parting but a lot less naff and ginge.

FdB will need to raise his game.

I believe FdB comes with a snug grey tank top though, so whilst hes not got a solid coiffured mane, he does have the look of university campus IT manager. A small plus point, I suppose.

I believe FdB comes with a snug grey tank top though, so whilst hes not got a solid coiffured mane, he does have the look of university campus IT manager. A small plus point, I suppose.

In most photos I've seen of FDB he looks a miserable bastard looking out from under a furrowed brow.

If thats from the stress of managing Ajax winning four titles I'm not sure he'd cope with us.

Give me phillip cocu anyday - looks like a European hedge fund manager with a taste for rothkos and popart.

Just can't see why a manager that has managed in the UCL and managed some of the huge clubs around Europe coming to Saints is in anyway a bad thing?! I'd bit my hand off if he signs.

Give me phillip cocu anyday - looks like a European hedge fund manager with a taste for rothkos and popart.

Bit of a centre parting there.

If thats one of the qualities we're looking for then Roger Schmidt could get a look in. Some photos have the makings of a psycopathic Bond villain.

Roger-Schmidt1.jpg

I agree with the path most are suggesting we follow, it's key to keep regenerating and developing wherever possible and therefore I completely approve the idea of going for a manager who is absolutely suave as they come. FdB whilst admittedly thinning on top does deal with it very well, but AVB's hair as previously mentioned is a bit of a work of art. Cocu is too creepy looking in my opinion, film villain-esque, and whilst Emery does top my list in terms of ability I question whether he really is capable of being our poster boy. Our team is full of beautiful specimens, it's only right that we appoint one to lead them.

I agree with the path most are suggesting we follow, it's key to keep regenerating and developing wherever possible and therefore I completely approve the idea of going for a manager who is absolutely suave as they come. FdB whilst admittedly thinning on top does deal with it very well, but AVB's hair as previously mentioned is a bit of a work of art. Cocu is too creepy looking in my opinion, film villain-esque, and whilst Emery does top my list in terms of ability I question whether he really is capable of being our poster boy. Our team is full of beautiful specimens, it's only right that we appoint one to lead them.

It's a tough decision, and the real problem that Les Reed is facing at the moment is that he has no obvious hair apparent.

Good night.

Edited by Toon Saint

Successful enough in Russia, winning the league and Cup and okay in the Champions League. He's won the Europa League, and did excellently at Spurs and was a gnats away from finishing fourth. More points than Poch got.

His availability - he's a free agent - as much as his track record means he is a compelling candidate.

Although you can see him here, can't you? He's like Pochettino and Pardew blended into one Portuguese peacock - half footballing scholar half preening egotist.

Totally agree. I don't know enough about Russian football, but considering both Emery and Yakin flopped at Spartak Moscow, maybe AVB did a better job at Zenit than he is credited with.

I can bet you that the SFC board will have put in a contingency plan on the basis that RK may not extend his contract which many thought highly likely. What we all thought though was that he would be true to his word and see his contract out but as with players having a manager knowingly seeing out the final year of a contract is not healthy so I would bet that SFC would have planned for it. List already drafted and we are implementing the next phase of the plan.

Spot on.

According to TalkSport and the Telegraph the annual earnings of the top 10 PL managers was:

Pardew Palace 1.5m

Sherwood Villa 2m

Poochy Yids 2m

Martinez Everton 3m

Bilic WHU 3m

Pellegrini City 4m

Klopp Liverpool 7m

Van Gaal Utd 7.3m

Wenger Arsenal 8.3m

Mourinho Chelsea 8.5m

Add into that for 2016

Pep City 15m

Mourinho Utd 13.8m

Does seem to make our improved offer of 2.5m for RK a little on the low side for a top 6 side. I also wonder if Les is prepared to offer Pellegrini the Same 4m he was on last year, cant see him coming for a mesely 2m.

No mention of Ron in the above top 10 but think we know it was around 2m per year.

Agreed, but even allowing for some creative accounting there does seem to be a large gulf between us and the big 6. Also I do believe that Pottychino did sign improve terms last season.

Seems strange that we do seem to spend big (by our standards) on players but seem to go cheap when it comes to managers and historically so, when the manager is one of the most important factors to not only tactics and selection but an influence on signings in the first place.

I like the idea that....

.....Saints told Ronald sign or go. That left Ronald with a quandary as his 'plan' seemed to be to see out his contract at Saints and then get a move to an Arsenal or such like. But the only available job right now is mid-table mediocrity at Everton. They are offering big bucks so he decides to risk it, but ultimately this won't have been the next move he would have been hoping for.

Add to the mix that the Everton owner has barely been their 5 minutes and already sacked a manager. I would presume he is expecting an immediate return for the big salary on offer.

Saints can now go and get someone like Emery and de Boer and potentially this time next year we will be reflecting on them having had the last laugh, while Ronald queues at the West Kirby job centre having only managed to take Everton minus Lukaku to a paltry 8th position...

David Moyes would be a very good choice I reckon.

However, past experience shows that someone who we have either never heard of, or a manager who is not (as yet) even on our 'radar' will end up getting the job. Let's hope whoever it is they do as well as the last two appointments did because they were both your stereotypical 'tough acts to follow'.

What we shouldn't waste time worrying about is that there will be some shortage of good quality candidates seeking the job - because make no mistake managing SFC now is a good opportunity in the richest league in the world.

We would only attract those managers who would jump the ship two years later. Our management and treatments on Padrew and Adkin have scared good managers away.

Absolute rubbish and both of those were good decisions anyway.

If Adkins felt totallt wronged he wouldnt continually praise Saints and come back as a Manager forna testimonial.

It is in fact the opposite. Good Managers are interested (like good players) because they know we won't stand in their way if they do well and get a better opportunity.

It's very interesting the Unai Emery's name continues to pop up from people with connections to the club (Jeremy Wilson, Guan). Surely we couldn't take the winner of the past 3 consecutive UEFA cups to little old Saints?

In truth I know very little about him apart from his European pedigree which is enough to make me think he'd be a great appointment for us, and perhaps even a step up from Snakey Koeman.

We would only attract those managers who would jump the ship two years later. Our management and treatments on Padrew and Adkin have scared good managers away.

Pochettino and the Snakey one are good managers. They came after Pards and Adkins so I reckon you're wrong about that second point. First point is probably spot on, we're not a top club.