New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

This is 100%,Manuel Pellegrini is in Southampton this evening so is on the short list at the very least.If he doesn't get the job then we are likely to have a top class manager if that is the standard.

#goingonacruise

Who the heck was Pocchetino? Who the heck was Pocchetino? Who the hell was Pocchetino, and the Saints went marching on on on!

Who the hell is Ronald Koeman, Who the hell is Ronald Koeman, Who the heck is Ronald Koeman, as the Saints go marching on on on!

Who the hell is Mr Unknown, who the heck is Mr Unknown, who the feck is Mr Unknown, and will the Saints go Marching up or down?

And how would he fit into a 5 year plan?

He is only 62 years of age not 72. His age though does mean we won't be a "stepping stone".

He has European experience in his last 4 jobs. He also carries a healthy respect within the game. Enhanced by his handling of the Pep which dominated city's campaign from the start.

I would take pellegrini this time around. I rate Howe but feel this is not yet the right time

He is only 62 years of age not 72. His age though does mean we won't be a "stepping stone".

He has European experience in his last 4 jobs. He also carries a healthy respect within the game. Enhanced by his handling of the Pep which dominated city's campaign from the start.

I would take pellegrini this time around. I rate Howe but feel this is not yet the right time

Get the feeling Saints would just be a convenient way of remaining in England rather than something that would genuinely excite him though. And you could hardly blame the guy for that.

Don't see it.

Totally uninspiring if true; satisfactory at City, but some of his buys and their performances stank

Would prefer Howe, QSF, Sampoli or Marco Silva

Definitely not FdB, AVB, Moyes, Martinez or Giggs

So what has Howe done to be appointed ? Failed at Burnley bank rolled by Russian out of Championship so much so failed FFP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are people obsessed about mangers not using us as a stepping stone?

Why are people obsessed about mangers not using us as a stepping stone?

One of the main reasons I really don't want Howe is because of this very thing.

SFC will be the best job Eddie Howe will ever get. He ain't stepping stoning nowhere.

I want our next manager to use us a stepping stone to a bigger club - because that means he'll be bloody good and if he ends up at a bigger club for loads more money it means he's done a brilliant job. Win/Win.

Stepping stone me right up and let's make our next two-year boss a ruddy good one.

AVB.

Anyone saying he's a bad choice is a complete moron. He got ****ed over at Chelsea and Tottenham, plus he's only 38 and probably would be up for staying at a project for 4-5 years.

Moyes, Pellegrini and Howe are bad choices compared - Moyes particularly.

One of the main reasons I really don't want Howe is because of this very thing.

SFC will be the best job Eddie Howe will ever get. He ain't stepping stoning nowhere.

I want our next manager to use us a stepping stone to a bigger club - because that means he'll be bloody good and if he ends up at a bigger club for loads more money it means he's done a brilliant job. Win/Win.

Stepping stone me right up and let's make our next two-year boss a ruddy good one.

I think this is exactly what some people are missing. If we get a manager who doesn't use us as a stepping stone/is very loyal then we'll end up treading water for a few years in the middle of no where (alas Pulis, Hughes, Pardew etc). I want our next manager to take us even higher.

Mirror: Eddie Howe not interested Southampton move - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/eddie-howe-ready-snub-chance-8121243

Howe doesn't want to leave Bournemouth: work in progress, club legend at AFCB and wouldn't get the same level of control here.

Les is a big fan but Eddie has told people that coming to Saints doesn't appeal to him for those reasons.

Mirror: Eddie Howe not interested Southampton move - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/eddie-howe-ready-snub-chance-8121243

Howe doesn't want to leave Bournemouth: work in progress, club legend at AFCB and wouldn't get the same level of control here.

Les is a big fan but Eddie has told people that coming to Saints doesn't appeal to him for those reasons.

That's all wonderful, but he might not even be offered the job.

According to Crooks lackey he actually told "pals" he is happy at Bournemouth.

I'm sure he is happy there to be honest. Glad his pals have set the record straight to the M&Y News Agency!

Unless you are a Real Madrid or Barcelona, you will always be a stepping stone club for your players and managers.

Personally I hope that our players ams managers DO use us as a stepping stone to their next rung on their career ladder. If they do progress, it invariably means we have had a good season as a team, and have progressed up our own ladder.

The only time players and managers don't go in to bigger and better is if they've failed in their current role.

Long may the 'stepping stone' cycle continue at SFC

AVB.

Anyone saying he's a bad choice is a complete moron. He got ****ed over at Chelsea and Tottenham, plus he's only 38 and probably would be up for staying at a project for 4-5 years.

why is AVB on the radar? Has he been successful after Spurs (genuine question) because he seemed unlikely to get another prem Job after those brief spells.

I want De Boer or Emery, anyone else and I think it's a backward step. Hope we can keep Dave Watson and Sammy Lee also.

I'd think it quite likely that sammy lee and dave watson would probably stay on anyway. They both seem pretty settled at the club regardless of who the manager is, and the board would view them as providing some continuity.

why is AVB on the radar? Has he been successful after Spurs (genuine question) because he seemed unlikely to get another prem Job after those brief spells.

Won the Russian league twice with Zenit (which I could probably manage to do tbf) and been naff in the CL. So to answer your question - sort of/debatedly been successful

Successful enough in Russia, winning the league and Cup and okay in the Champions League. He's won the Europa League, and did excellently at Spurs and was a gnats away from finishing fourth. More points than Poch got.

His availability - he's a free agent - as much as his track record means he is a compelling candidate.

Although you can see him here, can't you? He's like Pochettino and Pardew blended into one Portuguese peacock - half footballing scholar half preening egotist.

Successful enough in Russia, winning the league and Cup and okay in the Champions League. He's won the Europa League, and did excellently at Spurs and was a gnats away from finishing fourth. More points than Poch got.

His availability - he's a free agent - as much as his track record means he is a compelling candidate.

Although you can see him here, can't you? He's like Pochettino and Pardew blended into one Portuguese peacock - half footballing scholar half preening egotist.

Zenit fans couldn't stand his style of football.

Bale had a huge influence on his relative success at Spurs

With our existing squad and realistic ambitions we must be a very attractive proposition.

Koeman has sacrificed his long term footballing aspirations for money. He will fail to ignite Everton and they will bumble along just above mid-table for a few seasons before the locals turn on him. He has missed out on both the Arsenal and Dutch jobs now.

This is 100%,Manuel Pellegrini is in Southampton this evening so is on the short list at the very least.If he doesn't get the job then we are likely to have a top class manager if that is the standard.
Manuel Pellegrini wasn't even on the short-list, unlike De Boer. (Flores wasn't either, but it was drawn up before the end of the season, so maybe that's changed? Keep listing names games, I'll ask to see if they are in contention).

Pellergrini would mean that at least 2 board members have done a huge U-turn on future appointment profiles. Perhaps the club are just letting the rumour ride to show we can attract big names? From a purely personal perspective it seems a bad fit. :?

I don't think it's real.

Wasn't there talk of him being interviewed by Reed when Poch left (along with Bruce and McLaren)? Point being that he may very well be interested, especially when factoring in Crook's incredible ability to get everything wrong.

I can bet you that the SFC board will have put in a contingency plan on the basis that RK may not extend his contract which many thought highly likely. What we all thought though was that he would be true to his word and see his contract out but as with players having a manager knowingly seeing out the final year of a contract is not healthy so I would bet that SFC would have planned for it. List already drafted and we are implementing the next phase of the plan.

Manuel Pellegrini wasn't even on the short-list, unlike De Boer. (Flores wasn't either, but it was drawn up before the end of the season, so maybe that's changed? Keep listing names games, I'll ask to see if they are in contention).

Pellergrini would mean that at least 2 board members have done a huge U-turn on future appointment profiles. Perhaps the club are just letting the rumour ride to show we can attract big names? From a purely personal perspective it seems a bad fit. :?

I don't think it's real.

Interesting that a shortlist was drawn up before the season ended, but I suppose Les has said he keeps these things ticking over.

Emery would be ideal, if he's the club's #1 target and we can tempt him.

I'll put it on the record now, If Saints appoint Manuel Pellegrini it will be the biggest knee jerk move since we handed Redknapp the keys to St Marys just to make a point. A bad one. :facepalm:

I'll be happy to be wrong.

Cheers Guan any guesses as to who the first choice candidate would be?

I don't think it's real.

The bit in bold. Has this got anything to do with the "new direction" you mentioned a few weeks back? Are we looking at younger mangers in for the long haul with the chance to build sustainably over 4/5 years with 2/3 sales each summer?