New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

Pretty obvious Pellegrini doesn't fit our profile at all.Interesting Guan mentioned FdB is on the list. So that is FdB, AvB, Emery, Howe and Moyes that he has pretty much said are being looked at.

Not sure that FDB is still on the shortlist. He was not one of the four that Guan mentionned. He then said "Manuel Pellegrini wasn't even on the short-list, unlike De Boer" but that shortlist was drawn up before the end of the season. So maybe FDB was on the list but isn't now. Hope he still is on the short list and Moyes is not on the short list

I find it hard to get my head round De Boer not even being on the shortlist. To me, on paper at least he seems to tick all the boxes - great pedigree as a player, has achieved a bit as a manager but plenty to prove, someone the current squad should respect in the same ilk as Koeman, is available, would also appear to be the option that offers the most continuation from Koeman.

Unless that is it, they want to move away from what Koeman did, not sure why you would though.

It's very interesting the Unai Emery's name continues to pop up from people with connections to the club (Jeremy Wilson, Guan). Surely we couldn't take the winner of the past 3 consecutive UEFA cups to little old Saints?

In truth I know very little about him apart from his European pedigree which is enough to make me think he'd be a great appointment for us, and perhaps even a step up from Snakey Koeman.

This is were the PL new TV money will really kick in not by leveling the field in the league but by allowing PL clubs to offer the sort of wages to make players and managers outside of the PL consider a sideways or downward step.

Of course there are some massive European teams who will still be more of a draw (and Emery has been linked with a couple of those) but after that money will probably talk.

Edited by doddisalegend

I find it hard to get my head round De Boer not even being on the shortlist. To me, on paper at least he seems to tick all the boxes - great pedigree as a player, has achieved a bit as a manager but plenty to prove, someone the current squad should respect in the same ilk as Koeman, is available, would also appear to be the option that offers the most continuation from Koeman.

Unless that is it, they want to move away from what Koeman did, not sure why you would though.

Seems a good fit at first glance european competition experience, surely plenty of experience with youth set ups at Ajax, used to winning and used to losing a player or two to big spending sides and rebuilding...got to be high on the list you'd think.

This is were the PL new TV money will really kick in not leveling the field in the league but by allowing PL clubs to offer the sort of wages to make players and managers outside of the PL consider a sideways or downward step.

Of course there are some massive European teams who will still be more of a draw (and Emery has been linked with a couple of those) but after that money will probably talk.

Does the PL new money level the field? Sure we have more money, but then so do the big boys. It does mean we can offer more than overseas clubs. Leicester offer Vardy £80k a week. Arsenal offer him £120k a week.

It's very interesting the Unai Emery's name continues to pop up from people with connections to the club (Jeremy Wilson, Guan). Surely we couldn't take the winner of the past 3 consecutive UEFA cups to little old Saints?

Wanting & getting are 2 different things though. (Rojo / Hernandez etc)

Not sure that FDB is still on the shortlist. He was not one of the four that Guan mentionned. He then said "Manuel Pellegrini wasn't even on the short-list, unlike De Boer" but that shortlist was drawn up before the end of the season. So maybe FDB was on the list but isn't now. Hope he still is on the short list and Moyes is not on the short list

I think Guan added him retrospectively last night.

De Boer is on the shortlist as is Emery. Pellegrini was not, however that does not mean Pellegrini has not thrown his name into the hat. Southampton would be stupid to turn away interested managers who approach us first. Howe is still smarting from when we turned him down years ago and is not at the level we are currently with no European experience. Even if he did join and did well, people kidding themselves that he would magically 'be loyal'. If he did well enough with us for us to want him to stay he would be the obvious candidate for the England job and would be unsettled and media hyped before Woy has even been hit by the door on the way out.

Why do people seem obsessed with having a manager who stays for more than 2 years. It just isn't the modern way. Rather keep changing every 2 years to stay fresh if we continue with results like we are currently getting. Everton are step behind us on the ladder of premier league ascension, they need to catch up, Koeman has proved he can take a mid-table club with average to decent players into top 8. They need him more than we do quite frankly. We need to gamble on getting a better manager and moving to the next stage otherwise whats the point of competing at all... oh yeah money... but you know what I mean.

Does the PL new money level the field? Sure we have more money, but then so do the big boys. It does mean we can offer more than overseas clubs. Leicester offer Vardy £80k a week. Arsenal offer him £120k a week.

Yeah that was my (obviously not very well put) point. In the pl the money makes no difference because everyone is loaded when looking outside the PL apart from a few top sides in the world the PL clubs money will talk.

http://app.football-espana.net/?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.football-espana.net%2F58901%2Fsevilla-sound-out-sanchez-flores#article/footballespana-58901

Interesting (if true) that Emery's release clause has dropped recently.

Although he must be set for bigger offers you would think than Saints.

If you win 3x Europa Leagues and can't make an obvious step up its a bit odd.

http://app.football-espana.net/?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.football-espana.net%2F58901%2Fsevilla-sound-out-sanchez-flores#article/footballespana-58901

Interesting (if true) that Emery's release clause has dropped recently.

Although he must be set for bigger offers you would think than Saints.

If you win 3x Europa Leagues and can't make an obvious step up its a bit odd.

Within Spain only Barca and both Madrid clubs are bigger stages than Seville so progression wise, unless Simone is to leave, Emery himself needs to move countries.

No doubt he'll end up as PSG where the emphasis is on one thing only, winning the UCL, but him coming to England, and a club like Saints, isn't that far fetched.

Within Spain only Barca and both Madrid clubs are bigger stages than Seville so progression wise, unless Simone is to leave, Emery himself needs to move countries.

No doubt he'll end up as PSG where the emphasis is on one thing only, winning the UCL, but him coming to England, and a club like Saints, isn't that far fetched.

True, plus we could probably give him a pay rise fairly easily.

Just hard to see him achieving much new apart from working in a different league but I guess thats the attraction. Do well at Saints potentially and then it opens doors that might be closed just now.

The club how shown multiple times that our success and progression is not dependant on individuals. They have also shown that their planning is top notch and are often prepared for departures will in advance.

This has given me confidence that we'll be fine, if not get better whoever we appoint.

I suspect though we will be looking for a manager who buys into our plan and progression. that is why Emery, De Boer, AVB and Howe seem to fit the bill. Young, worked with young players, long term planners, and aside Howe have European experience.

I have no issues with AVB, he did well at Spurs and Levy got trigger happy, Chelsea are a mess anyway most of the time, it's success now or you are out.

People say he's only won were he's expected to win, but the same could easily be levied at Koeman or De Boer. Not only that but being expected to win brings its own pressures and expectations.

Pellegrini has just managed one of the most expensively assembled squads to 4th, LVG has spent £250 million to finish 5th and Mourinho somehow turned his title winning team into a mid table one. A succession of Liverpool managers have spent millions to get them to what one 2nd place in about 10 years.

Sometimes even doing what is expected and winning when favourites is an achievement in it's own right.

I think with the support and planning we have around our manager would suit AVB

As much as I would bask in the news of Emery, I thought De Boer was more likely. But Manuel Pellegrini, Christ. His outlay per premier league place must be insane. The new direction isn't just about the manager, it's a comprehensive plan resulting from a ground up study of the club, and where we aim to be.

He just doesn't fit. I don't understand it if it's true.

That's a really interesting line; I hope we get to learn more context around it.

There's certainly enough there to warrant some groundless speculation!! So.......

The talk of a new 5 year plan; we're seeing some players nailed down to longer contracts. I wonder if we're specifically looking for a manager to bring in and stay with us longer term...to grow with the club as it were, rather than us being a stepping stone? Would fit with the Howe link; possibly the Moyes link (he was long term at Everton). Might explain the apparent non-interest in Pelligrini. A less experienced/less high profile manager to develop with the club...perhaps one that will be underwhelming for us fans initially?! Are we back to a vision of CL footie with a chunk of home-grown players in the side (alongside established stars on higher wages)?

Maybe the money will tempt him, but I can't see us or any other mid-table PL team being a wise move for Emery. He's already at a club of similar size/stature to any of the ones he's been linked with (us, Everton, West Ham) and it's hard to see how starting over and achieving a similar level of success with a club in England would put him any closer to a job with one of the big names of Europe.

If he wants a big club and none are available this summer, he'd be crazy not to stick with Sevilla for another year, where he already knows the set up and maintaining his already impressive level of achievement will be much easier. He might miss out on an extra £1m this year, but in terms of maximising his odds of getting a massive job with an even bigger salary in future, it would be the more sensible wager.

Not sure on salary but his buy out clause dropped from €4m to €2m last week. I cant imagine it would be more than the reported £3.5m Koeman was on at Saints.
Apparently Napoli offered him 3.8m euros (not sure if pa or spread over three years) which was a pay increase compared with Seville but he turned it down last year

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/157257/unai-emery-extends-sevilla-contract-until-2017/.

Craig David at 200-1 with Betfair.

I had a little bet on that on Sunday, glad to see it's up now on Monday, think he'll be installed on Tuesday, and by Wednesday, he'll be taking training etc etc

*bad music joke award*

Maybe the money will tempt him, but I can't see us or any other mid-table PL team being a wise move for Emery. He's already at a club of similar size/stature to any of the ones he's been linked with (us, Everton, West Ham) and it's hard to see how starting over and achieving a similar level of success with a club in England would put him any closer to a job with one of the big names of Europe.

If he wants a big club and none are available this summer, he'd be crazy not to stick with Sevilla for another year, where he already knows the set up and maintaining his already impressive level of achievement will be much easier. He might miss out on an extra £1m this year, but in terms of maximising his odds of getting a massive job with an even bigger salary in future, it would be the more sensible wager.

Sounds familiar!

Sounds familiar!

True, though having won three European competitions in three years, Emery is probably a little closer to proving himself worthy of a shot at a big job than RK. Perhaps RK would have been in with a shout of the Barcelona job if he'd stayed at Saints and just kept on putting in highly creditable performances, but I'd argue that's more because Barca seem to be the only major club who appoint managers based on sentiment/affinity for the club rather than a prior history of achievement. If you take Barcelona out of the equation, you wouldn't say RK's record as a manager with us put him within a million miles of managing Madrid, Bayern or any other top tier club.

Is this in real life? Or just in fantasy?

Fantasy? Jürgen Klinsmann.

Of the names bandied around recently, I'd say Emery has the best qualifications for us, but if the likes of PSG want him, then firstly I can't see him being interested in us, and even if he does come, he'd likely be another 2 year manager until PSG or the like comes up next time.

I think Frank de Boer would be a decent fit, young, Dutch, did a decent job with Ajax, a name in the game, and free without compensation.

The only appeal of Eddie Howe for me is to **** on someone else for a change, rather than having it done to us. But I really think we need someone who has managed in European competition before, risky to be taking a gamble on someone without that experience when there may be a lot of change over the summer.

De Boer was at Ajax for 6 years as well when other clubs were surely sniffing around. He would probably buy into a 5 year plan and a 5 year contract.

Remember wanting him or Koeman 2 years ago and coming across this http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9300426/eredivisie-frank-de-boer-open-to-premier-league-move

What caught my eye from this back then was "I would not go to Barcelona. It is very difficult to be a coach there. What can you teach players like Messi and Iniesta?"

So basically he wants to improve players and wants the challenge, seems like a very good fit and realistic candidate IMO.

For me, it's between 3. I think the club will look for someone with experience in European competition. One of the real regrets from last year was our lack to make a real fist of it, so with 6 games guaranteed this year I'd imagine appointing a manager who has had this sort of exposure is high on the list.

So....FdB is highly rated, stock has probably fallen slightly in the last couple of seasons as PSV have pipped Ajax to the post, but he's still done a great job there. 4 consecutive dutch league titles and CL/EL progression isn't something to be sniffed at. I also remember when we played Ajax at a pre-season game a few years ago, possibly when we were in L1? FdB had great things to say about our academy after the game and actually picked out young JWP for specific praise.

AVB - I think he was hard done by in England. Chelsea paid Porto something like £15m to get him, and his task was to set about 'dismantling' the old guard - i.e Terry/Lampard/Drogba. That was never going to end well, he was onto a loser as soon as he was instructed to do that to be honest. The 'old' guard played as big a role as getting him out as anyone else. For what it's worth, Romeu played his best Chelsea football under him. He also won the EL with Porto I believe, so has sufficient pedigree in the European competitions.

His first season at Spurs was actually record breaking, people seem to forget that. It still is Spurs highest points total and I believe he had the highest % of wins as any manager they've had in that first year. Granted, he had a superstar in Bale, but he still did a good job that year. He was royally stitched up in the summer though. Bale gone, £80m in the bank, Baldini brought into oversea transfers....and then you get what happened. Players the manager didn't clearly have full say in, being shoe-horned into a team and struggling to find a system for all of them (it was a very lopsided squad). It's harsh that he gets tarnished with that, as his first season was better than anything Spurs have had.

Emery - For me, the least likely. I think as a club/league, this is an attractive job - but I just feel he'll have bigger fish to fry with the likes of Milan and PSG sniffing, if not now, then in the future. He'd be a terrific appointment, no doubts about that.

Personally, I've gone with FdB. I think he's the most likely of the 3 and still a terrific choice. EL experience, winners medals, top level playing career, out of contract...good with young players. He kind of ticks all the boxes of the type we'd look for. I'd obviously be happy with any of those 3 though!

For me, it's between 3. I think the club will look for someone with experience in European competition. One of the real regrets from last year was our lack to make a real fist of it, so with 6 games guaranteed this year I'd imagine appointing a manager who has had this sort of exposure is high on the list.

So....FdB is highly rated, stock has probably fallen slightly in the last couple of seasons as PSV have pipped Ajax to the post, but he's still done a great job there. 4 consecutive dutch league titles and CL/EL progression isn't something to be sniffed at. I also remember when we played Ajax at a pre-season game a few years ago, possibly when we were in L1? FdB had great things to say about our academy after the game and actually picked out young JWP for specific praise.

AVB - I think he was hard done by in England. Chelsea paid Porto something like £15m to get him, and his task was to set about 'dismantling' the old guard - i.e Terry/Lampard/Drogba. That was never going to end well, he was onto a loser as soon as he was instructed to do that to be honest. The 'old' guard played as big a role as getting him out as anyone else. For what it's worth, Romeu played his best Chelsea football under him. He also won the EL with Porto I believe, so has sufficient pedigree in the European competitions.

His first season at Spurs was actually record breaking, people seem to forget that. It still is Spurs highest points total and I believe he had the highest % of wins as any manager they've had in that first year. Granted, he had a superstar in Bale, but he still did a good job that year. He was royally stitched up in the summer though. Bale gone, £80m in the bank, Baldini brought into oversea transfers....and then you get what happened. Players the manager didn't clearly have full say in, being shoe-horned into a team and struggling to find a system for all of them (it was a very lopsided squad). It's harsh that he gets tarnished with that, as his first season was better than anything Spurs have had.

Emery - For me, the least likely. I think as a club/league, this is an attractive job - but I just feel he'll have bigger fish to fry with the likes of Milan and PSG sniffing, if not now, then in the future. He'd be a terrific appointment, no doubts about that.

Personally, I've gone with FdB. I think he's the most likely of the 3 and still a terrific choice. EL experience, winners medals, top level playing career, out of contract...good with young players. He kind of ticks all the boxes of the type we'd look for. I'd obviously be happy with any of those 3 though!

Agree.