New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

De Boer or Howe for me. Or someone left field that hasn't been mentioned.

Not now, but Mark Warburton will start getting linked with PL jobs if he does well next season.

AVB or Howe for me. Or as you say, someone out of left-field.

De Boer just does not excite me at all.

Fair enough. What do you think AVB has over De Boer?

If Dennis Bergkamp was involved too that would be quite a draw. No idea how good a coach he is but could never be a negative to have someone like him involved at your club.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Premier League experience, has managed a few different clubs, has won the Europa League and overall, I think he's more suited to the club's approach off-field with the extent of preparation, the structure and so forth.

With De Boer... well, my concern is that he's only ever managed one club. I know Koeman spent much of his managerial days in the Eredivisie too, but he'd been at a few different clubs: Vitesse, Feyenoord, PSV and Ajax; and then he went to Benfica and Valencia and picked up the domestic cups there too.

However, when Philip Cocu rocked up at PSV he knocked Ajax and FDB off their perch.

I guess I'm just cautious, although he did win four back-to-back titles so you'd have to assume he's got something about him.

Also, and it's probably minor/irrelevant but the De Boer brothers seem to have continually pushed via the media to try and get Frank a job in England. Feels a bit odd or desperate, but maybe just really enthusiastic and up for a job.

We'll see!

Agree De Boer certainly has a good hype machine.

Howe might have managed two clubs but he has only been successful at one and a place with lots of specific circumstances that he won't find in another job but I like his demeanour and if push came to shove would he actually be able to turn us down? If we really want him then its a shame they weren't relegated as would have made the choice easier.

I'm not sure AVB's on field philosophy is that 'Saints' and he has more connections with PL sides than we tend to like when recruiting - we try to drive loyalty by giving someone a chance. He has already been at two far bigger PL clubs.

Agree De Boer certainly has a good hype machine.

Howe might have managed two clubs but he has only been successful at one and a place with lots of specific circumstances that he won't find in another job but I like his demeanour and if push came to shove would he actually be able to turn us down? If we really want him then its a shame they weren't relegated as would have made the choice easier.

I'm not sure AVB's on field philosophy is that 'Saints' and he has more connections with PL sides than we tend to like when recruiting - we try to drive loyalty by giving someone a chance. He has already been at two far bigger PL clubs.

Fair point. AVB did get some criticism for being a bit turgid and rigid at times with his style of play, which wouldn't go down too well with the club's mantra, I would assume. Although we were like that under Koeman for spells of time.

Like you say, if Les gets permission to speak to Howe and lay on the table what's on offer I think he may find it hard to turn down. Seems a pretty principled guy though and very loyal to the Cherries so would be a tough, tough decision for him for that reason.

I personally don't want to see us damage another club by trying to pinch their manager. RDB is out of contract and on the market, looks very suitable to me and like Koeman two years ago could be employed without any fall out.

Fair point. AVB did get some criticism for being a bit turgid and rigid at times with his style of play, which wouldn't go down too well with the club's mantra, I would assume. Although we were like that under Koeman for spells of time.

Like you say, if Les gets permission to speak to Howe and lay on the table what's on offer I think he may find it hard to turn down. Seems a pretty principled guy though and very loyal to the Cherries so would be a tough, tough decision for him for that reason.

I would think if we approached AFCB they would definitely say no and it would require Howe to kick up a fuss which he doesn't seem like he would do (although many would have said the same about Koeman). With another good season under his belt Howe would be my first choice but not sure he is experienced enough and the core of their squad remains honest British players which differs from ours.

I also think his assistant Jason Tindall isn't very good but presume they come as a pair.

AVB having a year off and doesn't want to return to UK, Howe's not interested.......if you can believe the media!

Not many left in the frame so it appears.

I personally don't want to see us damage another club by trying to pinch their manager. RDB is out of contract and on the market, looks very suitable to me and like Koeman two years ago could be employed without any fall out.

So is AvB.

hope its not AVB been mediocre everywhere!

Academica: Bottom (18th) when he took over in October 2009, finished 11th and reached a cup semi-final

Porto: won the quadruple, including the Europa League, went the whole season unbeaten and lost four games out of 58 overall with a win ratio of 85%

Chelsea: tasked with clearing out players, lost the dressing room and Abramovich shunted him out - 48% win ratio

Spurs: set the club's record points total (72) and had a win percentage of 55% - the third best of all-time at Spurs

Zenit: first season: won the league and reached the Europa quarters, losing 4-3 to Sevilla / second season: won Russian Super Cup, Russian Cup / 61% win ratio

I wouldn't say that's mediocre for a manager who has just turned 39.

He holds the candle to being Spurs best ever manager in terms of a 38 game season.

And then sacked soon after. Also not popular with some high profile figures at Zenit for boring football.

If he had a bad start the media here who already dislike him would make it tough. He is young but still not sure profile wise what else is particularly 'Saints' about him.

De Boer would probably get more respect, which may also be considered.

You're fighting a losing battle CB. The shutters are closed, the Meltdown is on. Don't you dare try and use facts and reason. Next phase of meltdown is 'why couldn't Les get Emery, what a bumbling idiot'.

I don't see why a Posters opinion of a propsective new Manager is anything about a meltdown?

People are allowed opinions presumably?

And then sacked soon after. Also not popular with some high profile figures at Zenit for boring football.

If he had a bad start the media here who already dislike him would make it tough. He is young but still not sure profile wise what else is particularly 'Saints' about him.

De Boer would probably get more respect, which may also be considered.

"The media" don't hate him. He will be Southampton manager, "the media" will barely give him a thought.

If he's top six with us come Christmas then it's a beautiful little story. If he's bottom six it's just another struggling club story. That's about it.

I think FDB would be the best all round option. I shudder to think of the other options that might be remotely realistic for SFC - would not want Moyes and Howe is a poor choice - he would crying back to Bompey (his 'spiritual home' and realistic club size for him) as soon as he started to mess-up.

As Emery is going to PSG, how about Laurent Blanc as manager?

Won 2 trebles in the last 2 seasons.

Talking about French managers Claude Puel and Rudi Garcia are also available.

Good candidates all I think.

I wasn't really aware of Rudi Garcia as I don't follow much European football but he is Crab Lungs preferred candidate so I looked him up: record looks excellent and another good fit. Also available.

Advantage over De Boer that he managed multiple clubs in more than one country. Rapidly going off the idea of FDB with so many other available options out there.

Good candidates all I think.

I wasn't really aware of Rudi Garcia as I don't follow much European football but he is Crab Lungs preferred candidate so I looked him up: record looks excellent and another good fit. Also available.

Advantage over De Boer that he managed multiple clubs in more than one country. Rapidly going off the idea of FDB with so many other available options out there.

Asked a Roma fan about him the other day. Said it started superbly, then went downhill very quickly, bottled the league title and then continued to get worse. Couldn't arrest the slump, the football was bad and then he got sacked.

Did well with Lille though, previously.

If Dennis Bergkamp was involved too that would be quite a draw. No idea how good a coach he is but could never be a negative to have someone like him involved at your club.

No doubt if we had FDB & Bergkamp working at Saints I expect Arsenal wil just see it as us roadtesting their next management team for them.

Actually we should ask Arsenal to subsidise their wages for a couple of years.

Not sure Benali would be delighted to see Bergkamp at the club though. Think they had numerous run ins over the years.

Academica: Bottom (18th) when he took over in October 2009, finished 11th and reached a cup semi-final

Porto: won the quadruple, including the Europa League, went the whole season unbeaten and lost four games out of 58 overall with a win ratio of 85%

Chelsea: tasked with clearing out players, lost the dressing room and Abramovich shunted him out - 48% win ratio

Spurs: set the club's record points total (72) and had a win percentage of 55% - the third best of all-time at Spurs

Zenit: first season: won the league and reached the Europa quarters, losing 4-3 to Sevilla / second season: won Russian Super Cup, Russian Cup / 61% win ratio

I wouldn't say that's mediocre for a manager who has just turned 39.

Style of football is still a concern though isn't it?

Asked a Roma fan about him the other day. Said it started superbly, then went downhill very quickly, bottled the league title and then continued to get worse. Couldn't arrest the slump, the football was bad and then he got sacked.

Did well with Lille though, previously.

I'm thinking of starting a thread called "CB Fry makes snap judgements on European football managers based entirely on a 15 second skim of their Wikipedia page and how their hair looks on Google images".

Style of football is still a concern though isn't it?

I was answering the comment that his CV is 'mediocre', which it just isn't.

To answer the Q about his style...

I didn't see much of his Academica, Porto or Zenit team so I can't really comment on them.

Was decent at Chelsea, who weren't renowned for playing nice football. Spurs were turgid at times but equally could be entertaining.

What would people list as the top 3 criteria Saints would be looking for in the new Manager? Any order will do.

Mine:

1. Work ethic and attention to detail, embracing the various Club departments knowledge. Being a coach and a Manager

2. Ability/willingness to integrate young players into the squad

3. Playing style in keeping with the clubs desired approach, i.e passing, pressing football

1. Nice hair and/or suit

2. Multiple club experience across more than one country including significant European competition track record of success

3. Name that contains at least one word for house or houses.