New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

I'd argue that he is. Only won trophies with one team, in one country. Koeman won trophies with a couple of different teams in Holland, took Vitesse into Europe and won the domestic cups in Portugal and Spain.

His last trophy was a Cup with Valencia in 07/08 I think (he still got fired).

De Boer has only been at one club and has won the league four times in a row since 2010 (a record). Whilst he has only been successful at one club, thats still very impressive albeit at a big side.

Koeman has only ever won the league in Holland also, and hasn't in almost 10 years. He has also been active as a Manager for about three times the length of time as De Boer who is much younger and hence is now looking for his next step.

Tough to say one's record is hugely better than another, especially as overall Koeman's times at Valencia and Benfica were not successful ultimately.

His last trophy was a Cup with Valencia in 07/08 I think (he still got fired).

De Boer has only been at one club and has won the league four times in a row since 2010 (a record). Whilst he has only been successful at one club, thats still very impressive albeit at a big side.

Koeman has only ever won the league in Holland also, and hasn't in almost 10 years. He has also been active as a Manager for about three times the length of time as De Boer who is much younger and hence is now looking for his next step.

Tough to say one's record is hugely better than another, especially as overall Koeman's times at Valencia and Benfica were not successful ultimately.

Fair point. Horses for courses. I think Koeman, for better or for worse, had a lot more experience and managerial nous.

Who knows, we'll see if De Boer comes here won't we?

I assumed it would be De Boer, seems to make sense, available, young manager, good record in a league we clearly pay a lot of attention too. Can't say I know anything about him though. I'm not that excited yet but certainly no lesser appointment than Koeman was at the time and wouldn't be seen as a lack of ambition. Getting it wrapped up quickly would be nice to let him start planning.

Of course, if he does well he'll be off in 2-3 years but that's football isn't it. I'd take 2-3 years of success!

Disagree - Koeman carried far more weight as a name, probably largely due to his status as a player.

Fair point. Horses for courses. I think Koeman, for better or for worse, had a lot more experience and managerial nous.

Who knows, we'll see if De Boer comes here won't we?

Agree. Certainly don't think replacing Koeman will be an easy job despite the oft stated "we will just go and get someone better" stance.

If it were that easy everyone would do it.

Telelgraph article says appointment won't be imminent but Reed has a shortlist.

I think a week or so ago we fully expected Koeman to sign for us.

Well Reed always makes a thing about forward planning and having bases covered in circumstances such as these so I cant see it being long.

He will want to make a show of this again IMO

Be interesting to see how well our rsearching on coaches is, and how advanced it is.

I think we've been caught out by this, expecting RK to stay, and the 'back box' on coaches (or at least 5 or 6 up and coming coaches' as talked about in 2014) is not as advanced as we'd like.

Yep, I agree. The very same team that Lee Clark had languishing at the bottom were transformed pretty much as soon as he arrived. Just goes to show what a good manager can do without spending any money.

Many an example of that but not necessarily an indication that can maintain and replicate ta a more stable club, Not saying he can do more of course and is highly regarded.

Neil Warnock worked miracle with Rotherham in same division.

He's been mentioned around these parts before. Even prior to Ron leaving.

I did some reading up on him - He plays similar to Leicester. Organised defence, tough to break down then counter-attack with quality.

I hope so, that suits our crop of players perfectly if you ask me.

Before anyone mentions Pelle, he is our (better) Ulloa.

Be interesting to see how well our rsearching on coaches is, and how advanced it is.

I think we've been caught out by this, expecting RK to stay, and the 'back box' on coaches (or at least 5 or 6 up and coming coaches' as talked about in 2014) is not as advanced as we'd like.

I agree with that bit. There seems little point in the club keeping a list of potential manger replacements if it's not kept up to date.

I agree with that bit. There seems little point in the club keeping a list of potential manger replacements if it's not kept up to date.

I'm pretty sure it is, and it's just a tad more complicated to get a deal sorted than you're thinking. Let's not forget it's only been what, a week that the club would have known Koeman was going to leave?

Sorry to be a pedant, but yes there should. The new manager belongs, grammatically, to Saints, which should therefore have an apostrophe (for possession) after it.

As 'Saints" is singular, I would also add another s...

Saints's

:)

Well the short list is getting shorter!

Assuming any of the shortlist are really on the clubs radar seems like our shortlist is the same as Everton's was a week ago swapping out Koeman for Howe. Hopefully the club have compiled a list a little more comprehensive than the most obvious out of work managers and the obligatory young English manager.

Debatable whether one is needed, especially as Saints' and Saints's new manager is needlessly awkward.

"New Manager" is fine - I think we can safely assume which football club we are talking about on this forum.

Singular? Oh When A Saints Goes Marching In? Hmmm...

Hmm, fair point. Although 'The Saints' is only referring to one team, so 's might still be acceptable in the context of the thread title.

At least talking about grammar is a slight distraction from the Evertonian clowns that have posted recently. :)

Worth paying attention to... the Daily Echo say Saints will take their time replacing Koeman: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/14541926.Why_Saints_will_take_their_time_replacing_Ronald_Koeman/?ref=rss

Key Points

- The deal for Ronald, Erwin and Jan is now done

- Saints waiting for Everton to tie up loose ends and announce

- The search for a new manager has already started

- In the process of contacting managers on the shortlist

- The Euros come at a good time for Saints, not much transfer business to be done before they're over

- No signings will be made without the approval of the new manager

- Likely to be an appointment in the next 14 days

- Club deciding between another 'stepping stone' manager and someone to commit longer-term

- Wanyama still has a contract offer on the table but can go if we get an acceptable bid

- Reports of Mané being unsettled or putting in a transfer request are false

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

The Saints when referring to team/club is singular but referring to a group of players is plural.

"Saints" has too broad a term, like Spurs. It means the club, the players, the fans, a brand. It's simultaneously singular and plural and nothing actually belongs to it.

Southampton's new manager: fine.

Tottenham Hotspur's new manager: fine.

Saints' / Spurs' / Saints's / Spurs's new manager: weird.

Worth paying attention to... the Daily Echo say Saints will take their time appoint Koeman: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/14541926.Why_Saints_will_take_their_time_replacing_Ronald_Koeman/?ref=rss

Key Points

- The deal for Ronald, Erwin and Jan is now done

- Saints waiting for Everton to tie up loose ends and announce

- The search for a new manager has already started

- In the process of contacting managers on the shortlist

- The Euros come at a good time for Saints, not much transfer business to be done before they're over

- No signings will be made without the approval of the new manager

- Likely to be an appointment in the next 14 days

- Club deciding between another 'stepping stone' manager and someone to commit longer-term

- Wanyama still has a contract offer on the table but can go if we get an acceptable bid

- Reports of Mané being unsettled or putting in a transfer request are false

Wouldn't surprise me but the Echo says Saints are taking their time and speaking to multiple candidates over the next fortnight.

No doubt the De Boer hype machine will get fired up with ex-pros, his brother and everyone else saying how wonderful he is. Again. :lol:

The above sounds very sensible to me.

Not attempting to be negative here but just expanding on the 'stepping stone' Manager or long-term Manager approach say AVB, FdB, Pellegrini and Emery went elsewhere and Howe stayed at Bournemouth - who do people think we'll be after? Not who do you want but who fits the profile of what we want? We need that balance between someone who commands respect from our senior players but also someone who fits the fabric of the club in terms of understanding how we progress (and that we sell players) and providing a pathway to the first team.

It's a very hard criteria to fill.

Rowett to Saints watch that fly...

I wouldn't be unhappy with that either should it happen...

I think he would have better longevity than someone like De Boer who I am yet to be wholly convinced by as a manager.. Winning the Dutch league as Ajax manager is not a major accomplishment after all..

Club deciding between another 'stepping stone' manager and someone to commit longer-term

Is this how they would/should be categorised?

Stepping Stone = De Boer & Emery

Longer Term = Howe, Moyes, Villas-Boas, Flores

Wild Card = Pellegrini

Is this how they would/should be categorised?

Stepping stone = De Boer & Emery

Longer-Term = Howe, Moyes, Villas-Boas, Flores

Wild card = Pellegrini

Sounds about right, if it works out though, I could see FDB staying for at least 3 years or more, he looks a solid manager in essence without the romantic visions of Barca etc, just a feeling

Rowett currently at 33s.

I'm surprised the papers haven't been on about Gary Neville. TBH his time in Spain was doomed to fail, as the players didn't want a foreigner coaching them. I'm not sure that I would want him given how little experience he has under his belt, but was wondering whether people felt he would be capable of doing a good job in PL? Me, I would think he would be better suited to move down a league first.

Stepping stone vs longer-term

Name Time as manager

Arsène Wenger 19 years, 250 day

Steve Bruce 3 years, 365 days

Eddie Howe 3 years, 238 days

Sean Dyche 3 years, 221 days

Mark Hughes 3 years, 8 days

Manuel Pellegrini 2 years, 349 days

Aitor Karanka 2 years, 207 days

Mauricio Pochettino 2 years, 11 days

Ronald Koeman 1 year, 357 days

Tony Pulis 1 year, 158 days

Alan Pardew 1 year, 156 days

etc

etc

taken from wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Premier_League_and_English_Football_League_managers

Wenger is old school. It might happen again, it might not, but is there any point going for long-term if the life span of the job is so short? And given that, aren't stepping stone managers going to be more eager and hungrier or success, albeit most likely to the detriment of the academy?