New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

Rowett above Moyes? Really? Wow. Ok, well if you're that down on Moyes then you will be disappointed.

Pochettino and Koeman are miles better than Moyes.

Take him and IMO its a backwards step.

I will (and many others I suspect) be really disappointed if we lost Koeman and brought in Moyes.

Unai Emery. Why not? He wants PL experience. Saints in Europe. Great squad, with anchor talent to build on even if a couple leave. Why would we not 'do an Everton' and pay him double his salary to come too...we could afford it - especially if it was linked to success.

Because he is likely going to moneybags PSG.

Would be very happy with him. Think his background is really interesting and would interest Les, too. Could see him fitting the club's way of doing things well.

I'll take him if he can bring any of his old Porto players with him :)

Pochettino and Koeman are miles better than Moyes.

Take him and IMO its a backwards step.

I will (and many others I suspect) be really disappointed if we lost Koeman and brought in Moyes.

Miles better in what way? I don't think you can look at their records and say that, so it must be a personal opinion rather than anything based in fact.

Pellegrini was on £4m but now he is on £0.

I'm sure he realises that he was earning £4m at one of the richest clubs in the world. It might be that he treated the City job as a period of high transitory income rather than using it as a benchmark by which to judge all future opportunities against. Just looking at it from a different angle...

If we pay £3million, which is what we were going to pay RK, we could pay this to Pellegrini. Also with our compensation money we could offer something like a £2 million golden hello !

Would be very happy with him. Think his background is really interesting and would interest Les, too. Could see him fitting the club's way of doing things well.

Just had a quick read through his history. He's actually got a phenomenal record with the only real negative being his time at Chelsea. I'd be very excited if he turns out to be our next manager.

Miles better in what way? I don't think you can look at their records and say that, so it must be a personal opinion rather than anything based in fact.

Of course its a personal opinion. I doubt though that you would find many PL fans who think Moyes is better than Koeman and probably none who think he is better than Pochettino.

Do you rate Moyes higher than those two?

I've been mowing the lawn and had some thoughts.

FDB seemingly wants reassurances that we are going to keep the squad and not sell. If that is the case then he is the wrong man for the job. At Saints we all want that, but that isn't how football works. You have to take the rough with the smooth, and FDB like RK and MP, is happy to take the smooth, but is unrealistic about the rough. I guess that that defines the stepping stone manager. Only interested in themselves, and therefore cannot accept the rough which happens to a greater or lesser extent at all clubs. It's just that when it happens to the richest clubs, they can drop £30m+ on a ready made replacement.

Frank de Boer is not interested in replacing Ronald Koeman at Southampton, according to his agent.

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/southampton/saints-delivered-second-manager-snub-1812368.html

Just had a quick read through his history. He's actually got a phenomenal record with the only real negative being his time at Chelsea. I'd be very excited if he turns out to be our next manager.

This is well worth a read if anyone has a spare couple of minutes: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2006735/Andre-Villas-Boas-How-got-Chelsea-job-33.html

Of course its a personal opinion. I doubt though that you would find many PL fans who think Moyes is better than Koeman and probably none who think he is better than Pochettino.

Do you rate Moyes higher than those two?

If it's a personal opinion then why state it as fact?

I rate him on a par with Koeman, but probably behind Pochettino (although for Poch to only amount 70 points with the team he had this season, and the results of the rest of the big teams, I think is actually a bit of a failure).

Moyes wouldn't be a disaster IMO, he seems honourable and the horse has bolted for him to get another top job with a massive club.

if the club want the players to have more discipline/work harder then I suggest he's the best option that the club will like

Moyes wouldn't be a disaster IMO, he seems honourable and the horse has bolted for him to get another top job with a massive club.

if the club want the players to have more discipline/work harder then I suggest he's the best option that the club will like

Moyes, like Zlatan, had his chance and passed up on it. Never go back.

Next people will be touting David Weatherall for Centre Back.

I can't remember what style of play Moyes tends to use mostly. Attacking, pressing, defensive by nature. Exciting or boring.

Very fair point. Moyes will not walk out on us as nobody will come in for him - except ironically Everton. I am bored of managers doing well and then leaving.

Very fair point. Moyes will not walk out on us as nobody will come in for him - except ironically Everton. I am bored of managers doing well and then leaving.

Well if you want success then I would not mind, means we are doing well. What we want to avoid is sacking someone, that sort of dismissal would be worrying.

Moyes wouldn't be a bad option.

At least he'd be more prepared to give some of the academy lads a chance. I think there are a better options though.

.......always assuming that the "Academy lads " are better than the regulars they replace....

If Moyes came..... then I hope he learns to smile a bit more... he always looks like a man with an E.D problem.......:(

Edited by david in sweden

Don't want Moyes anywhere near Saints. Utterly backwards move if it happens.

I'm happy hearing rumours that De Boer isn't interested in Lazio.Think he'd be the natural fit and still surprised that Everton didn't go for him preferring to spend a huge sum to prise free Koeman. Still need to understand if his agent did really say no about Saints job as reported. I wouldn't even mind Lazio's new target Bielsa, someone who would excite if he came to Saints.

I've never hated the Moyes idea. I just think it would be a little different from what we've done before.

If he wasn't mentioned by Guan, I would have assumed he wasn't on the list.

I've got a Dutch lodger (no seriously) and he's an Ajax/utd fan. He said to me that he didn't like De Boer at Ajax but thinks he would be a good fit for us. Says he plays a similar style to Lvg with possession based and counter attacking football which I think would suit us down to the ground. He said his main problem with him was that he sometimes picked youth players over experienced players too much, which also bodes well for the likes of Reed. I'd be happy with De Boer.

So Emery is joining someone else, de Boer doesn't fancy us, Eddie Howe is to comfortable in Bournemouth, Pellegrini doesn't fit our bill. Who does that leave us with?

And Sampaoli is "90% joining Granada" for 5m euros a year (or over 2 years depending on translation) :uhoh:

According to Spanish newspaper As, Sampaoli has reached an agreement with the Granada to train the club for two seasons. He would receive 5 million euros (about R $ 19.7 mi) Vacation in the team.

It is worth noting that Granada has a new owner, Chinese Jiang Lizhang, which in addition to restructuring the club should invest a good amount of money on the team. Sampaoli, in turn, would like to assemble a cast with players set for himself, something that must take place in the Spanish team.

If Chelsea looked at him and this mega rich Chinese owner is offering him that much I'd be surprised given the type of football he plays that he isn't at the very least on our radar....

I've got a Dutch lodger (no seriously) and he's an Ajax/utd fan. He said to me that he didn't like De Boer at Ajax but thinks he would be a good fit for us. Says he plays a similar style to Lvg with possession based and counter attacking football which I think would suit us down to the ground. He said his main problem with him was that he sometimes picked youth players over experienced players too much, which also bodes well for the likes of Reed. I'd be happy with De Boer.

How does that work? They are opposites of each other.

How does that work? They are opposites of each other.

pass, pass, pass. Not do much with it. sit tight and then as a team comes looking for the ball, BANG, attack

much like the utterly dull LvG....which didnt really work

pass, pass, pass. Not do much with it. sit tight and then as a team comes looking for the ball, BANG, attack

I'd quite like to win the FA Cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's a personal opinion then why state it as fact?

I rate him on a par with Koeman, but probably behind Pochettino (although for Poch to only amount 70 points with the team he had this season, and the results of the rest of the big teams, I think is actually a bit of a failure).

Fair enough. I think large amounts of the fanbase would be quite disappointed with Moyes after Pochettino and Koeman.

He would be low down on my list. Might end up doing a good job but a bit of a dampener ahead of what should be an exciting season.

You should have got a female Dutch lodger rather than a male one

Fair enough. I think large amounts of the fanbase would be quite disappointed with Moyes after Pochettino and Koeman.

He would be low down on my list. Might end up doing a good job but a bit of a dampener ahead of what should be an exciting season.

He can't be that bad after all he got the nod (albeit it was a poison one) from SAF.

Its worth noting that at least 2 of those that voted for Moyes are everton tvvats. However I personally think he was a very good manager for them, and wouldnt consider it a disaster if we appointed him.

I'd be happy with AVB. I had no idea he was still only 38. Hopefully he's learned, developed and improved some more since Spurs. Apparently (wiki) he told Leningrad he wanted to return to Portugal for family reasons so he may have to persuade his wife.

I am starting to warm to FDB having read a few articles regarding his tactics (outside of the boot, squawka & 442)

He plays the traditional Dutch way of 4-3-3 and wants his players to be more intelligent and technically able. The Squawka article implied that his version of 4-3-3 was more like the Spain false 9 system, so more midfielders than genuine attackers - In having possession and switching play waiting to create space behind the defence. He also gave them license to be fluid, so making the decision when to be direct and go direct to goal. Although he was not afraid of changing to a more direct 4-3-3 with pacy, direct wide front 2 when the opposition was stronger, i.e fast counter.

So yes the negatives are that his team came across as boring, but I wander how much that was to do with the players he had available (dominantly youth with Erikson, Suarez leaving amongst others), where creating space and intelligence is not an easy trait, passing it around and keeping possession is easy enough - having the players that suddenly make space and someone to pass it is the key. But Long and Mane would have a field day with that licence to create space and could Tadic, Davis or dare I say it JWP be that intelligent false 9? Pelle has the ball to feet skills to drop deeper, not seen enough of Austin but he seems more of a traditional no. 9. Also in his 4-3-3 you would only need 1 holding mid, so losing Wanyama might not be disastrous.

I also believe certain clubs are the right for a manager and I think we suited Ron at the right time for everyone involved so would not be surprised if it does not work at Everton. FDB wants to manage in the EPL and likes good passing technical players & puts faith in youth - again it feels like both parties suit each other.

His key coach is also Bergkamp - what a player our forwards could learn from to be more clinical!!!

Just my thoughts but am getting more comfortable in taking a risk on an unproven manager like FDB (unproven in that managed 1 club in 1 league)

I am starting to warm to FDB having read a few articles regarding his tactics (outside of the boot, squawka & 442)

He plays the traditional Dutch way of 4-3-3 and wants his players to be more intelligent and technically able. The Squawka article implied that his version of 4-3-3 was more like the Spain false 9 system, so more midfielders than genuine attackers - In having possession and switching play waiting to create space behind the defence. He also gave them license to be fluid, so making the decision when to be direct and go direct to goal. Although he was not afraid of changing to a more direct 4-3-3 with pacy, direct wide front 2 when the opposition was stronger, i.e fast counter.

So yes the negatives are that his team came across as boring, but I wander how much that was to do with the players he had available (dominantly youth with Erikson, Suarez leaving amongst others), where creating space and intelligence is not an easy trait, passing it around and keeping possession is easy enough - having the players that suddenly make space and someone to pass it is the key. But Long and Mane would have a field day with that licence to create space and could Tadic, Davis or dare I say it JWP be that intelligent false 9? Pelle has the ball to feet skills to drop deeper, not seen enough of Austin but he seems more of a traditional no. 9. Also in his 4-3-3 you would only need 1 holding mid, so losing Wanyama might not be disastrous.

I also believe certain clubs are the right for a manager and I think we suited Ron at the right time for everyone involved so would not be surprised if it does not work at Everton. FDB wants to manage in the EPL and likes good passing technical players & puts faith in youth - again it feels like both parties suit each other.

His key coach is also Bergkamp - what a player our forwards could learn from to be more clinical!!!

Just my thoughts but am getting more comfortable in taking a risk on an unproven manager like FDB (unproven in that managed 1 club in 1 league)

Thank you. Well worth the read. Makes a change from the usual crap posted from the usual culprits.

Thank you. Well worth the read. Makes a change from the usual crap posted from the usual culprits.

Cheers Norm..

Don't post often (v rarely in fact) but had a sense of de ja vu.

2 years ago I was on holiday in Istria Croatia when news of Poch, lambert, Lallana hit within days of each other and ever so slightly made me a grump on holiday. But in the evenings with a glass of local red started reading about Ron's tactics when he was favourite and liked what I read especially when with PSV he switched to 3-5-2 and got results. A plan B after Poch sounded good..

So ironic that I am on holiday again in Istria with this news and going through the same process - but this time more chilled in that I have faith that the next manager will suit the team for what it's needs right now, just like Ron did 2 years ago.

But arguably with the players we have those tactics would work quite well.

Good read and echoes my thoughts!