Euro 2016

Batman

Thought NI were fantastic. Incredible when you look at the limited pool of talent they have available. Ukraine are no mugs either.

England I thought were still a mess. I just don't get the praise. Hodgson still doesn't know his team and it seems to stem around fear to not include Rooney. I hate seeing Kane and Alli be so poor after such terrific seasons. It's no coincidence it keeps happening with England. The system doesn't suit them, Alli is out of position, there's nothing fluid about it.

Now we have people saying subs who score should start. Well, for me we should play 2 up front because we lack real quality in midfield. Kane OR Rooney with Vardy OR Sturridge. Good options, compliment each other. Alli behind the two in a diamond with Wilshere, Lallana and Dier. Much more balanced.

Not guaranteed we'll beat Slovakia, they aren't so bad. We didn't beat a pathetic Russia side and just about beat wales. Such fine margins, imagine the reaction to another 1-1 draw and being on the brink of going out. I expect Wales to beat Russia so they'll go through with 6 points.

In summary: all the other British teams are brilliant and we're terrible (if we'd played like NI or Wales yesterday you'd be whining the place down).

Kane hard done by because he was picked as, er, centre forward and Alli as, er, centre mid. How can they possibly cope with such curve balls thrown at him? Maybe, it's an international tournament, step the f uck up boys.

And your "fine margins" conveniently ignores the equal possibility that we could now be sitting pretty top of the group on two wins. You not able to "imagine the reaction" to that then? Score last minute goal it's a fluke, concede one we deserve it.

Bang on the money as usual then.

Edited by CB Fry

Methinks England have played well during both games and I just don't understand the critism - indeed we are looking about as good as anyone out there at the moment are we not?

I suppose you might critise the manager for selecting a starting line-up that he has been forced to restructure in the heat of competition rather than during the pre-tournament phase. However, I don't remember many saying beforehand that Harry Kane should not be picked ahead of the frequently injured Sturridge or the less experienced Vardy. Yes Sterling is not good enough at this level and clearly should be dropped. I would have Rooney 'on the beach' myself, but he has justified the faith placed in him so far.

So I look forward to England almost certainly playing in the knock-out stages of this competition with some optimism. My chief concern not being how we perform going forward, but rather how well our defence holds up when we eventually meet a team who are good enough to put us under real pressure.

Thought NI were fantastic. Incredible when you look at the limited pool of talent they have available. Ukraine are no mugs either.

England I thought were still a mess. I just don't get the praise. Hodgson still doesn't know his team and it seems to stem around fear to not include Rooney. I hate seeing Kane and Alli be so poor after such terrific seasons. It's no coincidence it keeps happening with England. The system doesn't suit them, Alli is out of position, there's nothing fluid about it.

Now we have people saying subs who score should start. Well, for me we should play 2 up front because we lack real quality in midfield. Kane OR Rooney with Vardy OR Sturridge. Good options, compliment each other. Alli behind the two in a diamond with Wilshere, Lallana and Dier. Much more balanced.

Not guaranteed we'll beat Slovakia, they aren't so bad. We didn't beat a pathetic Russia side and just about beat wales. Such fine margins, imagine the reaction to another 1-1 draw and being on the brink of going out. I expect Wales to beat Russia so they'll go through with 6 points.

There's not going to be a case of 'being on the brink'. We're already through pretty much.

CE Charlie - I think that the criticism might come down to the likes of having Sterling in there, and vs Russia sticking with a miss firing Kane. Me, in the last game, I would have left Lallana on and taken off Alli

Sterling going to the Euros is a big call. Let alone start the first two games

He he not just dipped but has been appalling for over a year. Nothing suggests he should even be in the squad. £50m move to city made sure he is

Sterling aside England have played well.

Kane and alli could easily be replaced by vardy and wilshere

But the performance has been miles better than anything for 10 years at a tournament

CE Charlie - I think that the criticism might come down to the likes of having Sterling in there, and vs Russia sticking with a miss firing Kane. Me, in the last game, I would have left Lallana on and taken off Alli

^ He will never be a great finisher, nevertheless Lallana has performed well I think and will surely continue to play some part. You might argue that the manager's late decision to favour Sterling ahead of Lallana cost us two years ago in Brazil.

How about playing Lallana and young Rashford behind Vardy or Sturridge in the next game?

My biggest annoyance so far has been Rose. Not saying Ryan B is the answer but Rose is jut not a modern full back. He is tentative, poor positioning in attack and defence and seems to be confused by his team mates.

He wasn't great yesterday. I'd say start Ryan next game.

because Hart is the better keeper

Except he is not anymore. He is massively overrated. He looks terrified of the ball even when doing the simple things when there is no pressure. His kicks go out of play more often than Boruc's used to for us and often when there is absolutely no reason. He flaps whenever he has to make a save. He always takes an extra touch when the ball needs to be cleared and a player is bearing down on him. The guys confidence is shot to pieces. The only argument for him being no1 is that we do not know how Forster would cope under the pressure of a meaningful tournament game and there is a small chance he would similarly be ****e.

What? No. Lineker, Shearer, Owen, Scholes, Gascoigne and Le Tissier (not necessarily for the NT) were all better players in their prime, and that's only in the 20 odd years I've been watching.

All Rooney has done is score consistently against European minnows in qualifiers.

Rooney's just as good as any of them, and arguably better than some for his longevity.

Except he is not anymore. He is massively overrated. He looks terrified of the ball even when doing the simple things when there is no pressure. His kicks go out of play more often than Boruc's used to for us and often when there is absolutely no reason. He flaps whenever he has to make a save. He always takes an extra touch when the ball needs to be cleared and a player is bearing down on him. The guys confidence is shot to pieces. The only argument for him being no1 is that we do not know how Forster would cope under the pressure of a meaningful tournament game and there is a small chance he would similarly be ****e.

Think that's pretty much why he won't be dropped. Agree he's not performing particularly well, but Forster would be a risk and if it doesn't pay off, we'd be relying on an even less confident Hart or Tom Heaton.

Given our lack of wingers in the squad, I think we need to get the goalscorer on the pitch. 433 doesn't have to mean wingers if the strikers are flexible. I don't like seeing them stuck out on the wing, but if the 3 are interchangeable, as Barca do with their front 3, it can work. Ours will be a **** version of theirs obviously, but I think it's our best chance, and would be good to watch.

---------Hart----------

Walker-Cahill-Smalling-Rose

------Dier----Wilshere-----

----------Alli--------------

Vardy - Kane - Sturridge

Good movement, all can drift wide and come central, all can score. Could switch Rooney for Kane if needed, but I wouldn't have him near the midfield. 2 ok performances that stifle Alli and have us scraping through in games against very average sides isn't enough IMO. Vardy/Sturridge/Kane could actually trouble any side in the tournament on their day if we play it right.

Increasingly annoyed Drinkwater isn't there, think we need that extra cover alongside Dier but it's time to use Wilshere, otherwise why is he there. Harsh on Lallana perhaps, but you need goal threat in tournaments. He could take Alli's role if needed though.

Yeah to be fair if any prem team was lining up with these three next year most teams would **** a brick. We've got a really good chance of going far in this tournament if we can get it to click in time.

Given our lack of wingers in the squad, I think we need to get the goalscorer on the pitch. 433 doesn't have to mean wingers if the strikers are flexible. I don't like seeing them stuck out on the wing, but if the 3 are interchangeable, as Barca do with their front 3, it can work. Ours will be a **** version of theirs obviously, but I think it's our best chance, and would be good to watch.

---------Hart----------

Walker-Cahill-Smalling-Rose

------Dier----Wilshere-----

----------Alli--------------

Vardy - Kane - Sturridge

Good movement, all can drift wide and come central, all can score. Could switch Rooney for Kane if needed, but I wouldn't have him near the midfield. 2 ok performances that stifle Alli and have us scraping through in games against very average sides isn't enough IMO. Vardy/Sturridge/Kane could actually trouble any side in the tournament on their day if we play it right.

Increasingly annoyed Drinkwater isn't there, think we need that extra cover alongside Dier but it's time to use Wilshere, otherwise why is he there. Harsh on Lallana perhaps, but you need goal threat in tournaments. He could take Alli's role if needed though.

Rooney in for Alli I think, he has been great in midfield for us tbf

Yeah to be fair if any prem team was lining up with these three next year most teams would **** a brick. We've got a really good chance of going far in this tournament if we can get it to click in time.

With hodgeson in charge I cant see it

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Kane needs shooting - absolutely terrible.

Hart

Walker Cahill Smalling Bertrand

Rooney Dier

Lallana Alli Sturidge

Vardy

Kane needs a rest, same as Alli, , should have gotten by without them until at least the knock out games. Both have played far too many games this season already.

Team v Slovakia

Hart

Clyne Stones Smalling Bertrand

Wilshire Dier Rooney

Lallana Kane Vardy

Are you resting Walker and Cahill or dropping them?

Cahill has been pretty solid and Walker has been excellent in both games, bombing forward really well. Final ball isn't always that great but neither is Clyne's, and he doesn't get forward as well either.

Quite a recovery from Walker, about a year ago Clyne was miles ahead of in the England shake-up

Hart

Clyne - Smalling - Cahill - Bertrand

Wilshere - Dier - Rooney

Lallana - Vardy - Sturridge

I'd give Kane, Alli and Walker a rest. The latter has looked pretty good thus far and I'd want to save him for the knockouts. That team should be enough for Slovakia.

Italy v Sweden on next. Interesting game

always had a soft spot for Italy. Was 10 when Italia 90 was on

Serie A was the big league then. James Richardson's football Italia on CH4 in the early 90s etc

Something romantic football-wise seeing the Italians turn it on at a competition.

Hope they do well (bar playing us)

also, looks like Chelsea have an excellent manager coming in

Serie A was the big league then. James Richardson's football Italia on CH4 in the early 90s etc

Something romantic football-wise seeing the Italians turn it on at a competition.

Being a quarter Italian I have always loved the Italians.

Something about their anthem as well that is so much more inspiring than our own dreary ditty.

Forza Italia.

Forza Graziano.

Italia 90 is what got my daughter first interested in football at the age of 14. Then she wanted to go to a live game so I took her to Bournemouth which was near my in-laws. Then she wanted to go to a first division game so I took her to the Dell and we beat QPR 3-1 (I think). Then she wanted to go more often so eventually I got a couple of season tickets which was easy because Branfoot was in charge and there were plenty to choose from. The rest is history and we have two season tickets on the halfway line at St Mary's.

p.s. I used to like Nessun Dorma before it was famous.

Being a quarter Italian I have always loved the Italians.

Something about their anthem as well that is so much more inspiring than our own dreary ditty.

Forza Italia.

Forza Graziano.

Anch'io.

My French customer once said to me: "I like Italians. They're like a Frenchman but with a sense of humour".

Are you resting Walker and Cahill or dropping them?

Cahill has been pretty solid and Walker has been excellent in both games, bombing forward really well. Final ball isn't always that great but neither is Clyne's, and he doesn't get forward as well either.

Quite a recovery from Walker, about a year ago Clyne was miles ahead of in the England shake-up

To me clyne is the better defensively - walker the better offensivly so really depends on your tactics for the day

Is it me, or is the tournament pretty dull? The actual games, all seem very cautious, not many flair players. A few good goals, but no really thrilling games, no high scoring games. Hopefully it'll pick up.

Yeah very defensive based football and games that reflect it. Think it might be because the nature of the way the groups have shaped up. The good attacking sides need to pick up points from teams that are practically parking the bus but who have one/two star players (wales, sweden, poland etc) and so you end up with a cagey affair where the attacking team has to be careful not to get stung on the counterattack by a moment of genius. Think once the more rounded teams come up against each other we will see more cracking games of football, think England could still be a surprise package if we can clear the hurdle and get into last 16. I think our attacking flair will be better placed to exploit teams that attack more. A bit like with Saints, who generally play better against teams that come at us like Chelsea,Man Utd, Arsenal etc because we have the space to play our game.

Is it me, or is the tournament pretty dull? The actual games, all seem very cautious, not many flair players. A few good goals, but no really thrilling games, no high scoring games. Hopefully it'll pick up.

It isn't just you. It is dull. Teams are being very cautious. There aren't many flair players.

Any keeper can make a mistake. But what irritates me most about Joe Hart is that he appears to have all the swagger and arrogance of a truely top class proffessional sportsman (such as Lewis Hamilton for example) but without neccessarily possessing the exceptional talent required to back that up.

:lol: in a nutshell

There seem to be a shortage of amazing attacking players. I mean who are the best? Ronaldo and Bale you'd imagine, but beyond that, a lot of the top players seem to be more hard working athletes, defenders, high energy midfielders. What's happened?! Where are the entertainers?

South America (or in a team that's not there) seriously tho that type of player is becoming a rare breed - not sure why TBH but gone are the days of the hoddles, gascoignes etc - all blood and guts now.

Italia 90 is what got my daughter first interested in football at the age of 14. Then she wanted to go to a live game so I took her to Bournemouth which was near my in-laws. Then she wanted to go to a first division game so I took her to the Dell and we beat QPR 3-1 (I think). Then she wanted to go more often so eventually I got a couple of season tickets which was easy because Branfoot was in charge and there were plenty to choose from. The rest is history and we have two season tickets on the halfway line at St Mary's.

p.s. I used to like Nessun Dorma before it was famous.

It seems you have a splendid daughter. :thumbup:

Kane needs shooting - absolutely terrible.

Hart

Rooney Dier

Lallana Alli Sturidge

Vardy

I'd rest Alli and give Wheelchair a go. Push Rooney into the 10 position which gives a pretty tasty front 4 and an extra goal scoring option.

Hart

Wheelchair Dier

Lallana Rooney Sturridge

Vardy

Definitely not just you. I mean bloody hell we've had no more than three goals in any match and no team has scored more than two in any one match. As an anomaly that's way out there (Got a feeling that could maybe be a little different tonight with Spain against Turkey but I could easily be completely wrong).

UEFA's stupid 24-team everyone's-a-winner/heaven-forbid-anyone-half-decent-get's-knocked-out-in-the-group-stage format has been the reason.

1) Teams know that there's a 66% chance you'll go through the group if you finish third - meaning that most are happy to play out a draw. Yes, granted, there have been late goals but the set-up from everyone has been cautious.

2) The fact that there are tonnes of third-placers in there completely ballses up the prospective 'tournament tree' from the Round-of-16 onwards. With a symmetrical 32-team or 16-team tournament the good teams are incentivised to top their group and secure an easier route to the final. Now that there are bunch of third-placers to fit in there, everything's much more random. Try it. Do a predictor. Spain have a particularly easy route to the final if they win their group, but the winners of Group E (probably Italy) will have a much tougher route to the final than the team finishing second (probably Belgium).

The exact same thing happened with 'Golden Goal'. Another stupid rule that everyone could see was going to have precisely the opposite effect to the one desired.

I'd rest Alli and give Wheelchair a go. Push Rooney into the 10 position which gives a pretty tasty front 4 and an extra goal scoring option.

Hart

Wheelchair Dier

Lallana Rooney Sturridge

Vardy

I'd give Dier the old heave ho as well, replace him with Henderson or Milner.