Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 301 to 341 of 341

Thread: Josh Sims - Loaned to NYRB: Official

  1. #301

    Default

    About his level


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #302

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    2,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suhari View Post
    Seems a strange one.

    Why not an English club?
    He'll get kicked about in the championship, too good for league 1, but not good enough for the prem. It's a decent enough standard and he has enough flair and pace to do well in that league. Makes sense to me.

  3. #303

    Default

    Donít think Hasenhuttl ever really rated Sims, only picked him last season because he was one of only about 3 players that could be considered fast.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harriesss View Post
    Donít think Hasenhuttl ever really rated Sims, only picked him last season because he was one of only about 3 players that could be considered fast.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Real shame, don't understand it. The kids got plenty of talent.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  5. #305

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    28,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    Real shame, don't understand it. The kids got plenty of talent.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    he obviously hasn't. Not for the premier league
    how many managers will this be allowing him to leave? 4?

  6. #306

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,908

    Default

    “Right Josh as you can see it’s a bit busy with quick midfielders” “we want you to have game time so thinking of loaning you out” “so far we have Wimbledon, Barnsley, Rotherham, and Walsall interested” “we also have an MLS team interested means you will be there till Christmas ish possibly”. “If we get injuries you are ready to slip straight back in”

    If that was the scenario and options, at 22 I would be asking “where’s my plane ticket?!”.
    Also If he does well, he could get a lucrative offer to stay. And in roundabout way adds to the global profile of Saints.

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suhari View Post
    Seems a strange one.

    Why not an English club?
    Well possibly Saints feel English clubs might let him down, the last few players we have loaned to championship clubs, Sims at Reading and Gallagher at Birmingham, both clubs seemed to go through a lot of turmoil changing managers etc. and the players were in and out of the team.

    So maybe moving to the US he'll be considered more of a key player and will have a steadier time and thus has a chance to improve in settled surroundings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Pete View Post
    With the 2 signings we have made and the return of Boufal (hopefully to stay), was hard to see Sims getting much game time, so another loan always on the cards.

    Hopefully this will be a good experience for him.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Yeh agree we are well stocked in those positions.

  8. #308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    how many managers will this be allowing him to leave? 4?
    4? This would be his 2nd loan

  9. #309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HarvSFC View Post
    MLS season finishes in November?
    It does indeed.

  10. #310

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,431

    Default

    It is beginning to look like most of that crop of U23 grads is or has been moved on and out - Valery apart - to make headroom for a new generation which benefitted from better leadership at the Academy.

    As Ralph has said so succinctly, when you get a chance in the first team you have to show that you belong there by working as a professional should, eating, sleeping and drinking football and putting everything you possess on the line in training until it hurts and then more.

    It would be good to see Sims' end of year report and where he has fallen short of Ralph's expectations.

  11. #311

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    11,140

    Default

    He’s had some good performances, the problem is we’ve had some appalling team performances with him in the side. He was dragged off at half time in that dreadful non-performance at Newcastle and we did improve to an extent second half. Ralph clearly thought he was part of the problem. Since then he’s only had 25 minutes against Watford, when they overrun us as soon as he came on, and a token 5 minutes against Huddersfield.

    I think if the club truly believed he’d make it at this level, they wouldn’t have bought Jenny this summer.

  12. #312

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere
    Posts
    2,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

    I think if the club truly believed he’d make it at this level, they wouldn’t have bought Jenny this summer.
    Thank God for Jenny

  13. #313

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South West France
    Posts
    643

    Default

    Sims has had a couple of very bright performances. his debut against Everton, and last season against Spurs, but he has not really followed them up, that run at Anfield aside.

    Soon after the Everton game teams used his lack of bodyweight and strength to ease him out into touch if he tried to dribble past them.

    Ralph got him to use his pace to run in behind teams in the U23's and then very succesfully against Tottenham, but he has not really done that in the remainder of the season.

    To break through, he really needs 3 or 4 sSpurs like performances in the space of a couple of months.

  14. #314

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Windsor...ish.
    Posts
    12,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faz View Post
    Thank God for Jenny

  15. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davefizzy14 View Post
    https://www.footballinsider247.com/e...ide-for-19-20/

    "Southampton winger Josh Sims is in advanced talks to join New York Red Bulls on loan"
    Quote Originally Posted by Suhari View Post
    Seems a strange one.
    The only link I can find is somewhat tenuous in that our goalkeeper coach (Andrew Sparkes) was at New York Red Bull's for 7 years in a coaching capacity, so maybe he's still got contacts there. That said, he left in 2012 so just me clutching at straws really.

  16. #316

    Default

    Clever marketing ploy. If he does well, he'll get a lot of exposure and so will SFC every time he gets mentioned. As he'll be up against poorer defences he'll have more space to exploit and his pace'll help him no end. Playing regularly will help him too.

  17. #317

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you. Now, stop touching that.
    Posts
    12,635
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suhari View Post
    Seems a strange one.

    Why not an English club?
    This

  18. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Saint View Post
    This
    Off topic but do you ever go watch Columbus Crew or FC Cinci?

  19. #319

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you. Now, stop touching that.
    Posts
    12,635
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    Off topic but do you ever go watch Columbus Crew or FC Cinci?
    No. I didn't watch tha sexy world cup either.

    In all honesty, I pretty much only watch Saints. Time is a constraint.

    Edit: come to think on it, there are times when Saints are so desperately bad that I give up watching for the footy and am only watching for civic pride!
    Last edited by Ohio Saint; 07-08-2019 at 08:55 PM.

  20. #320

    Default

    Confirmed by the club

  21. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Confirmed by the club
    https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2...ulls-loan-deal

  22. #322

    Default

    Can see the logic of this. Effectively a half year loan where hopefully he’ll be playing week in week out at a high level rather than getting cameos with saints.
    The fact he’s been given a year’s extension too clearly means this isn’t simply with the aim to move him on.

  23. #323

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    2,948

    Default

    Good move but I'm intrigued by what happens after the MLS season ends in November (or October if they don't make the play offs). The loan is until 31 December.

  24. #324

    Default

    They've only got around 10 games to play before the play-offs begin.

    Even if he started every one, Sims won't get a lot of football.

    Odd.

    Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

  25. #325

    Default

    I assume that he'll be available to play for Saints in the second half of the season.

  26. #326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Good move but I'm intrigued by what happens after the MLS season ends in November (or October if they don't make the play offs). The loan is until 31 December.
    He'll come back to Saints, I'm not sure on the eligibility rules for reserve/youth games but wouldn't be surprised if he can play in them given you can field trialists etc

  27. #327

    Default

    Good for the Southampton brand, after their big documentary on NBC and the interest with Kruger etc.

  28. #328

    Default

    Maybe they think living abroad will help with his personal development.

  29. #329

    Default

    Bit of an update on this one:

    Sim's place has basically been taken by Boufal in the squad (and Djenepo doesn't help).

    Whilst RH likes Boufal, the club and him are of the understanding that he'll be allowed to go if a decent bid comes in for him from the continent before the window.

    Should Boufal leave on 31st August, we do have a recall option on Sims (for a price) or can let him see out his deal at NYRB and he'll be back late October anyway.

    If Boufal stays, he'll probably be re-loaned in January to an English club.

    If he went on loan in the UK he would have had to have stayed until 31.12.19.

    Seems sort of sensible.

  30. #330

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    2,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
    Bit of an update on this one:

    Sim's place has basically been taken by Boufal in the squad (and Djenepo doesn't help).

    Whilst RH likes Boufal, the club and him are of the understanding that he'll be allowed to go if a decent bid comes in for him from the continent before the window.

    Should Boufal leave on 31st August, we do have a recall option on Sims (for a price) or can let him see out his deal at NYRB and he'll be back late October anyway.

    If Boufal stays, he'll probably be re-loaned in January to an English club.

    If he went on loan in the UK he would have had to have stayed until 31.12.19.

    Seems sort of sensible.
    Thanks for the info. Interesting situation, but as you say, it's kind of sensible.

  31. #331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
    Bit of an update on this one:

    Sim's place has basically been taken by Boufal in the squad (and Djenepo doesn't help).

    Whilst RH likes Boufal, the club and him are of the understanding that he'll be allowed to go if a decent bid comes in for him from the continent before the window.

    Should Boufal leave on 31st August, we do have a recall option on Sims (for a price) or can let him see out his deal at NYRB and he'll be back late October anyway.

    If Boufal stays, he'll probably be re-loaned in January to an English club.

    If he went on loan in the UK he would have had to have stayed until 31.12.19.

    Seems sort of sensible.
    That won't go down well with New York Red Bull fans if it happened

  32. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
    Bit of an update on this one:

    Sim's place has basically been taken by Boufal in the squad (and Djenepo doesn't help).

    Whilst RH likes Boufal, the club and him are of the understanding that he'll be allowed to go if a decent bid comes in for him from the continent before the window.

    Should Boufal leave on 31st August, we do have a recall option on Sims (for a price) or can let him see out his deal at NYRB and he'll be back late October anyway.

    If Boufal stays, he'll probably be re-loaned in January to an English club.

    If he went on loan in the UK he would have had to have stayed until 31.12.19.

    Seems sort of sensible.
    Makes sense and given that he's been given a years extension, I think it looks like he is still rated by Hasenhuttl.

  33. #333

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Could be wrong but think I saw Sims in lyndhurst earlier. Checked NYRB last couple of games and he hasn’t even been on the bench. Seems strange as only a brief loan and not playing, let alone possibly/probably still being in Soton.

  34. #334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
    Could be wrong but think I saw Sims in lyndhurst earlier. Checked NYRB last couple of games and he hasn’t even been on the bench. Seems strange as only a brief loan and not playing, let alone possibly/probably still being in Soton.
    Didn’t get permit until Friday

  35. #335

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Nice one cheers. Would have thought he could still be training with them. Maybe can’t even train without a permit. Who knows

  36. #336

    Default

    Visa. Need one to get in to country

  37. #337

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brmbrm View Post
    Visa. Need one to get in to country
    If he is British he doesn’t need one to get into the US as a visitor you just need an ESTA - but going to work there he needs a work Visa which I believe requires an interview - Having dealt with product going into the US they are very protective of the home market, I would imagine they are the same with outsiders applying to work in the US over a citizen regardless of employer sponsorship. I have a friend who needed to renew his US work visa and had to go to Canada and sit around for a week whilst waiting for his renewal to be processed.

  38. #338

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    If he is British he doesn’t need one to get into the US as a visitor you just need an ESTA - but going to work there he needs a work Visa which I believe requires an interview - Having dealt with product going into the US they are very protective of the home market, I would imagine they are the same with outsiders applying to work in the US over a citizen regardless of employer sponsorship. I have a friend who needed to renew his US work visa and had to go to Canada and sit around for a week whilst waiting for his renewal to be processed.
    They go over there.... taking their jobs....

  39. #339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suhari View Post
    They go over there.... taking their jobs....
    Waiting time for a visa interview in London is about 2-3 weeks at the moment, and there's no way to expedite it at all.

  40. Default

    He's over there now, learning how to be offside on every other attack from the master


  41. Default

    Cam on for RBNY in 63rd minute in a 2-0 loss to Colorado. Didn’t see the game so no idea if he played well or not.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •