Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 101

Thread: Sheff Utd vs Saints - Build Up

  1. Default Sheff Utd vs Saints - Build Up

    Tough game this. Iíve been really impressed by them.

    Hope Djenepo & Berty are back fit to bulk out the squad a bit.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    7,451

    Default

    I just hope we manage to put in a better performance than we did last time we played there in the EFL cup in 2014. We were atrocious that night.

    Blades so far remind me of Hudds two years ago. They've got a good fighting spirit and they've kept their momentum going from the end of their promotion season. But they are a limited side in terms of quality.

    Very much looking forward to seeing my local pub full of Saints fans again though

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Marathon training
    Posts
    2,528

    Default

    They’ll be looking at games like this as the sort of games they need to win to stay up. Will be a tough one. The international break has probably come at a good time for us, need a few back from injury and plenty to work on for Ralph.

  4. #4

    Default

    Billy Sharp will inevitably score... and if he doesn't, McGoldrick will!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    upthecreekwithoutapaddle
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich van Gobbel View Post
    Billy Sharp will inevitably score... and if he doesn't, McGoldrick will!
    I hope they don't, but it will be good to see them back at St Mary's gain.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,433

    Default

    Sheff U are a very limited side from what I've seen on MotD. Having momentum from last season is fine but will only carry them so far. Our high press and non-stop effort style will not suit them at all and as long as we turn up for the first half on the day it should be a comfortable win, even 0-3 perhaps.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    8,143

    Default

    Confident prediction Charlie, when was the last time we beat a team three nil away from home?

    Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

  8. #8

    Default

    1-3 in favour or Saints.

    Gunn
    Valery
    Bertrand
    Vestergaard
    Bednerak
    Romeu
    Hojberg
    JWP
    Boufal
    Ings
    Adam's

    4-2-2-2

    McCarthy
    Yoshida
    Cedric
    Djenepo
    Long
    Ndlulu
    +1

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    Sheff U are a very limited side from what I've seen on MotD. Having momentum from last season is fine but will only carry them so far. Our high press and non-stop effort style will not suit them at all and as long as we turn up for the first half on the day it should be a comfortable win, even 0-3 perhaps.
    How did they do against LUFC last season? Might indicate how they deal with a pressing game.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
    I hope they don't, but it will be good to see them back at St Mary's gain.
    It's an away game.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    Very much looking forward to seeing my local pub full of Saints fans again though
    Which pub? I'm attending the match on my own from Nottingham and would be good to meet up with a few Saints fans before the game!

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    7,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CylonKing View Post
    Which pub? I'm attending the match on my own from Nottingham and would be good to meet up with a few Saints fans before the game!
    The Sheaf View in Heeley (hence the username) - about 10-15 mins walk from the ground.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Maybush
    Posts
    224

    Default

    I'd like to see:

    Gunn

    Valery
    Vestergaard
    Bednerak
    Vokins (If Bertrand is still out)

    Romeu
    Hoj
    JWP

    Boufal (If Redmond is still out)
    Ings
    Adams

  14. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    The Sheaf View in Heeley (hence the username) - about 10-15 mins walk from the ground.
    Do you have parking available ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    7,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lastman73 View Post
    Do you have parking available ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, sorry. It's a bit of a nightmare round our way on match days. Gets pretty gridlocked with people looking for unrestricted on-street parking. It is available around the Sheaf View, but you have to arrive early (at least 2-3 hours before KO) to get a space.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    No, sorry. It's a bit of a nightmare round our way on match days. Gets pretty gridlocked with people looking for unrestricted on-street parking. It is available around the Sheaf View, but you have to arrive early (at least 2-3 hours before KO) to get a space.
    Is that parking still available down near the Decathlon? - used that for the fateful cup game and amazingly found it not too hard getting out (but then I guess traffic wasn't bulked up by Saturday shoppers)

  17. #17

    Default

    Don't tell everyone about the Sheaf View, will be a nightmare!!! Thats where I'm heading. Cracking little real ale pub.

    You can park in town and walk / taxi. It's not that far depending on where you end up parking.

    There are quite a few nice pubs in town, mainly along division street, devonshire cat, forum, frog and parrott, bungalows and bears.

    There is also the Fat Cat around Kelham Island area of town. and the Sheffield Tap inside the station. Also a few down Ecclesall road, which is one of the main student areas, but full of good pubs and restaurants, a nice spot for the evening.

    Loads of options

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    7,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    Is that parking still available down near the Decathlon? - used that for the fateful cup game and amazingly found it not too hard getting out (but then I guess traffic wasn't bulked up by Saturday shoppers)
    The Decathlon car park itself has massively reduced in size since a large sinkhole opened up in it a few years back and it's still all fenced off.

    The brownfield car park just near to it has now been partially developed on too (unsurprisingly) but I think there is still some P&D parking available there.

  19. #19

    Default

    I want to see a 4231 for this finally. Boufal is so much better centrally in a free 10 role, and JWP did his best work last season on the right of the 3 while being encouraged to cut in (admittedly this was in a 343 front 3). My team is:

    Gunn

    Valery Vest Bednarek Bertrand

    Romeu Hojberg

    JWP Boufal Djenepo

    Adams

    McCarthy, Yoshida, Cedric, Armstrong, Long, Obafemi, Ings

    With Ings coming on for Adams if he is looking ineffective at half time.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    7,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Don't tell everyone about the Sheaf View, will be a nightmare!!! Thats where I'm heading. Cracking little real ale pub.

    You can park in town and walk / taxi. It's not that far depending on where you end up parking.

    There are quite a few nice pubs in town, mainly along division street, devonshire cat, forum, frog and parrott, bungalows and bears.

    There is also the Fat Cat around Kelham Island area of town. and the Sheffield Tap inside the station. Also a few down Ecclesall road, which is one of the main student areas, but full of good pubs and restaurants, a nice spot for the evening.

    Loads of options
    Yep, we're not short of watering holes up here.

    Kelham Island has become hipster central in the last few years, so as well as the Kelham Tavern and the Fat Cat there's loads of little bars and eateries that have sprung up.

    If you like your real ale pubs then just up the hill from the Sheaf is the Brothers Arms, which is another favourite of mine. It used to be a proper dive and was boarded up for years, but the people running it now have turned it into one of the best pubs in the area.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    7,050

    Default

    Bringing the boy up for this , has anyone found a decent location for parking yet ?

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    7,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Bringing the boy up for this , has anyone found a decent location for parking yet ?
    There's a couple of multistory car parks on Eyre Street, on the other side of the roundabout at the top of Bramall Lane.

    If you're looking for free parking, then there's plenty in the residential roads on the other side of the A61. But it gets busy and the closer you get to KO the further away you'll have to go to find a space. Easy to get out of town and head south from here though. Just go through Chesterfield on the A61 and join the M1 at J29.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUFC parking.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	2832

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    8,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    There's a couple of multistory car parks on Eyre Street, on the other side of the roundabout at the top of Bramall Lane.

    If you're looking for free parking, then there's plenty in the residential roads on the other side of the A61. But it gets busy and the closer you get to KO the further away you'll have to go to find a space. Easy to get out of town and head south from here though. Just go through Chesterfield on the A61 and join the M1 at J29.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUFC parking.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	2832
    Thanks for that, very helpful. I was going to do the multi story on Eyre street as well, but if I get there early enough Ill have a look around the area you have highlighted - cheers.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    7,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    There's a couple of multistory car parks on Eyre Street, on the other side of the roundabout at the top of Bramall Lane.

    If you're looking for free parking, then there's plenty in the residential roads on the other side of the A61. But it gets busy and the closer you get to KO the further away you'll have to go to find a space. Easy to get out of town and head south from here though. Just go through Chesterfield on the A61 and join the M1 at J29.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUFC parking.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	2832
    Cheers SS I'll also have a mooch at that area ,but if not will head to the multistory.

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Salisbury
    Posts
    1,341

    Default

    Should be good support again for Saints only 200 tickets left

  26. #26

    Default

    John Lewis is the centre is reasonably priced. NCP are no go especially by the university ... very very expensive

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldsarum View Post
    Should be good support again for Saints only 200 tickets left
    Wonder how many were bought by people hoping it'd help them qualify for Fratton and had no intention of going

  28. Default

    Worth noting on the pub front that the students aren't back until later in the month. Devonshire Cat for me, hell of a beer list.

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    Wonder how many were bought by people hoping it'd help them qualify for Fratton and had no intention of going
    Precisely none, I should think.

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faz View Post
    Precisely none, I should think.

    Well I know of at least two


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  31. #31

    Default



    I was going to say that's impressive if we've nearly sold 2900 but not if some of the tickets are going unused. Makes no sense as this game doesn't qualify for Skates away anyway.

    Anyone keeping tabs on how our international players are getting on this week?
    I noticed England were training at Staplewood yesterday and assume they will be today, might disrupt our preparation a bit.

    Sheff Utd got many internationals? I noticed David McGoaldrought was playing for Ireland, either him or Billy Sharp is bound to score against us.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    7,451

    Default

    Just found out yesterday from a friend who volunteers there, Heeley City Farm is having a mini beer festival on Saturday, starting at 5pm.



    It's a very short walk from the ground, and the beer festivals in the past have been a great success, offering a really good range of beers from Sheffield's vast array of local breweries.

  33. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DuncanRG View Post
    Worth noting on the pub front that the students aren't back until later in the month. Devonshire Cat for me, hell of a beer list.
    They go back the following weekend, so likelihood is some will go back early.

    Im driving up Saturday early doors and back Sunday. Aim to visit a bit of division street in the evening I think.

  34. #34

    Default

    Looks like we've sent some back...

    https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2019/sep...mpton-tickets/

    Due to Southampton not selling their full away allocation, tickets for Saturday's game will go on general sale at 11am on Tuesday 10th September.

    This match is a Category B fixture.
    Tickets are priced from £29 Adults, £22 Seniors, £19 Young Adults/Students, and £13 juniors (£11 Junior Blade Members).
    Please note: All areas of the ground including the Westfield Corner and HE Barnes Upper Tier are available for this game to home supporters. Visiting supporters will be allocated the HE Barnes Lower.

  35. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    I read that differently, think they are saying as we haven’t sold out there is no risk of away fans buying in the home end so they’re allowing tickets to go on open general sale to people with no purchase history.

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Salisbury
    Posts
    1,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    I read that differently, think they are saying as we haven’t sold out there is no risk of away fans buying in the home end so they’re allowing tickets to go on open general sale to people with no purchase history.
    we definately havent sent back tickets, Blocks 1 -3 tickets all sold, around 180 left Block 4 (away end blocks 1- 4) , so agree with you they feel its safe to go on general sale as we've still got 180 to shift

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Fine City of Southampton
    Posts
    3,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldsarum View Post
    we definately havent sent back tickets, Blocks 1 -3 tickets all sold, around 180 left Block 4 (away end blocks 1- 4) , so agree with you they feel its safe to go on general sale as we've still got 180 to shift
    You can understand them being concerned about away fans infiltrating the home areas after 'Coombsey's Commandos' assault on their Kop 40-something years ago!

    We definitely took the full allocation and will probably all be gone by the weekend. Good turn-out.

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post


    I was going to say that's impressive if we've nearly sold 2900 but not if some of the tickets are going unused. Makes no sense as this game doesn't qualify for Skates away anyway.

    Anyone keeping tabs on how our international players are getting on this week?
    I noticed England were training at Staplewood yesterday and assume they will be today, might disrupt our preparation a bit.

    Sheff Utd got many internationals? I noticed David McGoaldrought was playing for Ireland, either him or Billy Sharp is bound to score against us.
    https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17...hampton-match/

    Looks like McGoldrick has a knock and has left the Ireland squad before their game against Bulgaria. Their other Irish forward, Callum Robinson, picked up a knock on international duty too.

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DuncanRG View Post
    Devonshire Cat for me, hell of a beer list.
    Last time we went to the Devonshire Cat (201 is was less of a pub and more 'dine in' only really. Still a decent enough beer list but no where near as good as previous years.
    For me it's going to be The Sheffield Tap or The Rutland Arms.

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    7,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CylonKing View Post
    Last time we went to the Devonshire Cat (201 is was less of a pub and more 'dine in' only really. Still a decent enough beer list but no where near as good as previous years.
    For me it's going to be The Sheffield Tap or The Rutland Arms.
    Yeah the Dev Cat has been refurbished in recent years and the bar relocated to the middle, which means they just don't have the space to stock as many different beers as they used to. Still very good though.

    Can't go wrong with the Tap or the Rutland (they do great food - known locally as the 'Rutty butty').

    If you're looking for good beer selection, try one of the True North owned pubs - The Forum, Old House and Common Room, all on Division Street, or The Broadfield on Abbeydale Road if you don't fancy the city centre. The Riverside, near Kelham Island, also has an excellent range.

    Nearer to the ground is the Cremorne on London Road. Smallish place and not a huge range of beer, but always some good options on tap. The Beer Engine, at the bottom end of London road, has a great range of beers but it's very close to Bramall Lane and I'm not sure about their policy on away fans.

    We're spoilt up here really. There's so many excellent local breweries around.

  41. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Perth Western Australia but travelling all over the world at times !
    Posts
    86

    Default

    [QUOTE=alehouseboys;2759781]You can understand them being concerned about away fans infiltrating the home areas after 'Coombsey's Commandos' assault on their Kop 40-something years ago!

    Ha ..remember that day ..Just x 2 coach loads .kick a round in the club car park after nicking a ball from Woolies .We had to walk all the way round the ground to get into to their Kop. It had a cricket pitch as well in those days !

  42. #42

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    We're spoilt up here really. There's so many excellent local breweries around.
    Yes, I'm in Sheffield a few times a year for a few of the Hard Rock Hell weekends at the O2. Great selection of pubs and we always have an ace time.
    Was there a couple of weekends ago and visited our favourite haunts. Even got to Noodle Doodle for a lovely Malaysian lunch as well. Bonus!

    Shout out to The Dove and Rainbow that has managed to survive a threatened closure recently due to public pressure.
    Shame it's too far away from the ground to make it on Saturday otherwise I'd be popping in to support.

  43. #43

    Default

    Has anyone used Southampton Away Travel before? Using them for the first time this weekend and was just wondering generally what time they tend to arrive before a game? Wouldn’t mind going into town for a few beers seeing as you’re not able to drink on the coach either.

  44. #44

    Default

    Probably the 2 coldest games I’ve ever attended were home and away to Sheff Utd.

    Must be getting on for 30 years ago, away game up there in freezing fog, think we were 4 down in something like 20 minutes. Eventually lost 4-1. Then a home game in December around a decade ago at St Mary’s, was like sitting in a fridge. Can’t remember the score, was more more concerned with losing a limb through frostbite.

  45. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ex Belgium, now IoW (I think it's still part of Europe, though!)
    Posts
    4,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 100%Red&White View Post
    Probably the 2 coldest games I’ve ever attended were home and away to Sheff Utd.

    Must be getting on for 30 years ago, away game up there in freezing fog, think we were 4 down in something like 20 minutes. Eventually lost 4-1. Then a home game in December around a decade ago at St Mary’s, was like sitting in a fridge. Can’t remember the score, was more more concerned with losing a limb through frostbite.
    I went to an away cup match at Reading's old ground (Elm Park) many years ago and your average brass monkey wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes it was so cold !
    A total disaster as far as I remember, we had two players sent off (Benali and Robbie Slater IIRC) and lost ! Graham Poll (of Tilehurst, nr Reading) was ref and really had it in for us !
    One of my worst ever matches attended, grrr......

  46. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eurosaint View Post
    I went to an away cup match at Reading's old ground (Elm Park) many years ago and your average brass monkey wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes it was so cold !
    A total disaster as far as I remember, we had two players sent off (Benali and Robbie Slater IIRC) and lost ! Graham Poll (of Tilehurst, nr Reading) was ref and really had it in for us !
    One of my worst ever matches attended, grrr......
    The game Graham Poll said that it was the same as playing in August on hard pitches and if the players played at 90% it would be fine? Plus the little scrotes from the reading support pelted us with bits of the terrace that was breaking away.

    F*cking awful game that


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  47. #47

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    3,150
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eurosaint View Post
    I went to an away cup match at Reading's old ground (Elm Park) many years ago and your average brass monkey wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes it was so cold !
    A total disaster as far as I remember, we had two players sent off (Benali and Robbie Slater IIRC) and lost ! Graham Poll (of Tilehurst, nr Reading) was ref and really had it in for us !
    One of my worst ever matches attended, grrr......
    I remember an England U21 game at SMS (i think vs Ireland). Milner was playing to help date it

    Absolutely bloody freezing - the concrete was just blocks of grey ice.

  48. Default

    I've never seen John Brooks ref a game as he doesn't appear to have done a PL game before.

    However, I hope he's sh it hot on the VAR machine, as we've got Lee Mason, the most useless, unfit ref, I've seen since that 72 yo did the Sunday League in the 80's

  49. #49

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    28,166

    Default Sheff Utd vs Saints - Build Up

    Any updates on injuries?

    Bertrand? Djenepo? Redmond?

  50. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Any updates on injuries?

    Bertrand? Djenepo? Redmond?
    Ralph's Press conference is 1.45pm so will find out then.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •