Coronavirus

whelk

Good, then perhaps don’t throw your toys out of the pram when someone goes food shopping, sweetheart.

I love how het up and hysterical soggy is about all this and then he tries to pretend it's everyone else going crazy. You'd think at times of national crisis, political grudges and hangovers from an historical electoral loss would be put to one side and forgotten but it seems that for soggy the hatred is just too strong. It must be comforting soggy to know that his views are in perfect alignment with Piers Morgan. They both have a remarkable history of impeccable judgement so I'm sure he's very happy with that.

Edited by hypochondriac

The chief medical officer says to not shut the schools yet. What does he know, eh?

Not the same as what others across Europe and in parts of America it would appear. Therein lies the problem. Who is right? I guess we will find out when the mortality rates are compared. Let’s hope it is our guy. And at least you won’t be inconvenienced.

I love how het up and hysterical soggy is about all this and then he tries to pretend it's everyone else going crazy. You'd think at times of national crisis, political grudges and hangovers from an historical electoral loss would be put to one side and forgotten but it seems that for soggy the hatred is just too strong. It must be comforting soggy to know that his views are in perfect alignment with Piers Morgan. They both have a remarkable history of impeccable judgement so I'm sure he's very happy with that.

Just heard an ex-Labour MP lambasting the PM and his latest speech on TalkRadio. When challenged on what Boris has done wrong, all he could come up with is the word 'buffoon' and claims that he only likes to make jokes and not be serious.....great!

The chief medical officer says to not shut the schools yet. What does he know, eh?

Very little as he is just a Tory puppet

Just heard an ex-Labour MP lambasting the PM and his latest speech on TalkRadio. When challenged on what Boris has done wrong, all he could come up with is the word 'buffoon' and claims that he only likes to make jokes and not be serious.....great!

Very little as he is just a Tory puppet

Doesn’t it worry you why so many other countries are doing something different? Voting Tory does not provide immunity against Covid-19.

Alright, one last bite before you're on ignore.

You are obviously a very poor microbiologist, because to conclude that "unlike flu, ...the death rate from COViD is far higher", from an article that states "This means COVID-19 is something of a wild card in terms of how far it will spread and how many deaths it will cause. Though the death rate for COVID-19 is unclear, most research suggests it is higher than that of the seasonal flu." shows how poor. Alarmist, unscientific, biased and a poor post. I will expect better from your next assignment, but unfortunately I will be unable to read it. My point was about the number of deaths, anyway, not the rate. Your point was apparently that you lack any objectivity, like all the other liberal snowflakes on here.

Goodbye and I wish you well in your next trip to Tesco's to panic buy canned goods and toilet rolls...

It's the Trump and Johnson fans buying up all the bog roll from what I've seen #bigsociety

So why are they saying avoid cinema, pubs etc but allowing them to stay open?
I think schools are providing a more useful service, nationally, and it fits with the plan to gradually introduce controls.

The press conference was good, I didn't hear all of it, but I think the theme of tomorrow's one needs to be about the over arching strategy. People need to understand the objective is not to stop everyone getting the virus. Loads of people will catch it.

The "shut everything everywhere now now now" nutcases need this explaining to them.

You really are an angry person aren’t you. You get yourself worked up about a full supermarket but are happy that your kids are going to a full school? Can you see the inconsistency there? Let’s hope that before the schools close your kids don’t infect you or anybody else eh.

By the way, where did I say that I am complaining about the supermarket? Yes, I would like to be able to buy loo rolls. Dont you use them or have you already stockpiled? Yes, I would like to buy hand sanitiser so that I am less likely to pass anything on to anybody else. No I am not the only person who thinks that panic buying is unnecessary and a nuisance. But knock yourself out and keep having a dig if it makes you feel better. It’s a shame that you haven’t got an email address for all of the other people in supermarkets today. You could have a field day.

Surely by your own twisted logic, panic buying is a very good thing? Surely, the fact that people have panicked and stocked up means that they won't have to go to the shops for a number of days or even weeks. Thus, less people making fewer 'unnecessary' trips.

Your other argument also seems biblically stupid, even for you! You claim that several hundred children in a school is a bad thing but in the 'rammed' supermarket then it's fine for you to be there because you are just one person. You seem to have conveniently forgotten the 'several hundred' other people in the shop with you!

I think schools are providing a more useful service, nationally, and it fits with the plan to gradually introduce controls.

The press conference was good, I didn't hear all of it, but I think the theme of tomorrow's one needs to be about the over arching strategy. People need to understand the objective is not to stop everyone getting the virus. Loads of people will catch it.

The "shut everything everywhere now now now" nutcases need this explaining to them.

Who exactly is saying shut everything?

Surely by your own twisted logic, panic buying is a very good thing? Surely, the fact that people have panicked and stocked up means that they won't have to go to the shops for a number of days or even weeks. Thus, less people making fewer 'unnecessary' trips.

Your other argument also seems biblically stupid, even for you! You claim that several hundred children in a school is a bad thing but in the 'rammed' supermarket then it's fine for you to be there because you are just one person. You seem to have conveniently forgotten the 'several hundred' other people in the shop with you!

Supermarkets themselves say that if people just buy what they normally buy there would be no problem. If you did a supermarket shop regularly yourself you would now that visit are increasing despite stockpiling. My point was that there is no difference between a full school and a full supermarket. They are both full of humans capable of catching and transmitting the virus. I was responding to the biblically stupid point that it was ok to keep a school open yet it was a problem going to a supermarket full of people. Think about it.

Weston - how many countries who have closed schools have also closed supermarkets? Why do you think that is. If we don’t eat we will die. I don’t think anyone has died for the lack of a GCSE.

It seems he is more worried about sorting out childcare.

What do you think all of the NHS staff who are also parents should do with their children? Bring them to work or leave them at home?

What do you think all of the NHS staff who are also parents should do with their children? Bring them to work or leave them at home?

Yes, it is inconvenient having to find child care. More so having to be hooked up to a respirator in a hospital corridor (if they can find you one). Even more so being dead.

They cope in other countries don’t they?

I would hate to think a cynical move to avoid payments saying they didn’t tell the pubs to shut but just told everyone not to give them any money.

Nonsensical.

Both my daughters work in pubs while at uni. I can’t claim to be a victim but a hit now subsidising them both further

Yes, it is inconvenient having to find child care. More so having to be hooked up to a respirator in a hospital corridor (if they can find you one). Even more so being dead.

The point is, they wouldn’t find child care. It would all be closed. Meaning the staff would need to perform the childcare themselves. Meaning no-one to hook you up to your respirator. I’m amazed you can’t see that.

Are you joking?

Edited by Plastic

The point is, they wouldn’t find child care. It would all be closed. Meaning the staff would need to perform the childcare themselves. Meaning no-one to hook you up to your respirator. I’m amazed you can’t see that.

So how are all the hospitals all round Europe and in NYC operating?

From the infection control nurse at the hospital I work in the idea, she believes, is to delay the infection in the elderly and vulnerable by asking them to isolate. By not applying the same restrictions on the younger stronger population means they might get it and then get over it ready to be fit and healthy to deal with the oldies when the peak hits. This flattens the curve, moves the peak to the summer and also sorts the infected cohorts. This has the best outcome for the oldies and vulnerable by trying to better match demand and supply.

Look, I have nothing against schools, but if they are being shut down in order to saves lives elsewhere, it is worth asking the question why aren’t we doing it. Clearly childcare is a problem but a problem that is not impossible to solve elsewhere - so we can manage here. If people start getting sick and dying on an industrial scale, we won’t even think about this exchange.

Look, I have nothing against schools, but if they are being shut down in order to saves lives elsewhere, it is worth asking the question why aren’t we doing it. Clearly childcare is a problem but a problem that is not impossible to solve elsewhere - so we can manage here. If people start getting sick and dying on an industrial scale, we won’t even think about this exchange.

My concern is not childcare. My wife is a teacher and as of today I will be comfortably WFH for the foreseeable.

My concern is whether or not closing schools now and greatly reducing infection is the ‘right thing to do’, or whether this will simply delay and exaggerate the peak at some point in the future.

What is your point? I don’t have any symptoms and I have not been advised to self isolate. I need to buy food. Schools are still open.

So how come schools in other countries are closing schools down? Just because your kids are fine today it doesn’t mean they will be fine tomorrow. I assume there are several hundred other children in the school. What about them?

You clearly don’t want schools closed down as it will inconvenience you. That’s the spirit. Tens of thousands of children pose a greater threat to the spread of the virus than one bloke. I am not sure how that backs up your point. Schools shutting in New York today. Perhaps you should explain to them that they are mistaken.

Supermarkets themselves say that if people just buy what they normally buy there would be no problem. If you did a supermarket shop regularly yourself you would now that visit are increasing despite stockpiling. My point was that there is no difference between a full school and a full supermarket. They are both full of humans capable of catching and transmitting the virus. I was responding to the biblically stupid point that it was ok to keep a school open yet it was a problem going to a supermarket full of people. Think about it.

You're all over the place pal!

Your point seems to be that thousands of children pose a greater risk than you because you are just one bloke! One bloke that happened to be in a 'packed' supermarket with hundreds of other people, but that's OK because you don't have any symptoms and need to shop!

Can you explain how you are going to do your shopping when they close the schools down and all the people who currently work in the shop where you are buying your food and all those in the supply chain that gets the food to your shop, are all off work because they have to look after their children who are not at school despite having no symptoms?

Are you so hell bent on blaming the Tories that you cannot see that closing the schools will have knock on adverse effects? Ordinarily, grandparents would help with child care during school closures but that's not an option at the moment is it?

Firstly, schools aren’t a childcare service, but at the moment it’s certainly within the national interest so fair enough.

The solution is quite simple actually, skeleton staff could remain in school to supervise the children of key workers, particularly nurses and doctors. This isn’t being reported but is readily being done in other countries.

Firstly, schools aren’t a childcare service, but at the moment it’s certainly within the national interest so fair enough.

The solution is quite simple actually, skeleton staff could remain in school to supervise the children of key workers, particularly nurses and doctors. This isn’t being reported but is readily being done in other countries.

This is being done in the US, and I think it sounds like a good idea.

My point was Fry that having a go at me because I went out to get food. One bloke. Yet he has no problem with tens of thousands of people crammed together all day, 5 days a week. No, it isn’t easy. But I am sure it isn’t easy around Europe and in New York City either. I am not the only person on the planet asking the question about schools.

Shop assistants, lorry drivers, warehouse pickers - surely these are 'key workers' who will keep Soggy's local supermarket shelves fully stocked?

People will die if they don't eat apparently....

You're all over the place pal!

Your point seems to be that thousands of children pose a greater risk than you because you are just one bloke! One bloke that happened to be in a 'packed' supermarket with hundreds of other people, but that's OK because you don't have any symptoms and need to shop!

Can you explain how you are going to do your shopping when they close the schools down and all the people who currently work in the shop where you are buying your food and all those in the supply chain that gets the food to your shop, are all off work because they have to look after their children who are not at school despite having no symptoms?

Are you so hell bent on blaming the Tories that you cannot see that closing the schools will have knock on adverse effects? Ordinarily, grandparents would help with child care during school closures but that's not an option at the moment is it?

Let’s move past the whole Tories thing shall we. God knows we could spend hours talking about how the underfunding has effected the NHS and local social cares ability to deal with this. Irrespective of politics, we are talking now about the people in charge who are making life and death decisions.

Weston - how many countries who have closed schools have also closed supermarkets? Why do you think that is. If we don’t eat we will die. I don’t think anyone has died for the lack of a GCSE.

What about those kids living in poverty whose only hot meal a day is the one they get at school? If they get sent home from school, they are unlikely to eat, if they don't eat, they will die. It's not just about GCSE's....

Except that kids are walking germ farms.
Maybe the Chief Medical Officer has considered this information and assessed the risks alongside all the other factors? Or do you think a few dins on a football forum are the only people to realise that children can carry disease?

What about those kids living in poverty whose only hot meal a day is the one they get at school? If they get sent home from school, they are unlikely to eat, if they don't eat, they will die. It's not just about GCSE's....

I didn’t say it would be easy but as I keep saying, they are managing in other countries.

It seems he is more worried about sorting out childcare.
I think you need to stop projecting your own selfishness on other people.

If the schools shut I'm absolutely fine - I work for a big company who have already got us all working from home so I'll be able to manage, and actually cover it while the missus can go to work.

My views about school closures have absolutely nothing to do with my own situation and everything to do with what I've read around the topic and the decisions the government are making. Your little digs about me and my children just show how pathetic you are, but you've done this to me before so no surprise.

I suggest I've thought about it a little more than you whose entire analysis of the situation is Boris is evil so let's do the opposite of what he says because boo-hiss the Tories the Tories.

My concern is not childcare. My wife is a teacher and as of today I will be comfortably WFH for the foreseeable.

My concern is whether or not closing schools now and greatly reducing infection is the ‘right thing to do’, or whether this will simply delay and exaggerate the peak at some point in the future.

Precisely. Some people on this forum only see things through their own, selfish party political prism.

Italy - nearly 368 deaths in 24 hours. 1,800 deaths over all. They're "coping" according to you.

What you have written in that post is absolutely abhorrent and you should be utterly ashamed of yourself.

Edited by CB Fry

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus