Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

He's fine. Someone commented on that late last season (probably you) so I made a point of counting clearances in the next game. He completed 8/10 clearances, 4 of which were with his head.

And that ends the next round of forum gibberish before it gets started. Thank you Mowgli.

He's fine. Someone commented on that late last season (probably you) so I made a point of counting clearances in the next game. He completed 8/10 clearances, 4 of which were with his head.

when VvD was out, we were the 2nd worst in the league with regards to winning defensive aerial duels

when VvD was out, we were the 2nd worst in the league with regards to winning defensive aerial duels

there are stats and there are stats, but that's quite damning and not unsurprising to me. Without VVD we have looked incredibly vulnerable in the air, not helped by losing the likes of Wanyama, Morgan and Pelle. Our side is far too small IMO.

Was the Patrick Roberts rumour ever anything but a tenous link made up for SSN??

Think it started in The Sun, and even then it was re: a loan move.

He travelled (& played) for City on their pre-season tour, so I'm not sure if they've decided what to do with him yet.

You would've thought if he was available for a permanent deal, that we'd be all over it - But you could've said that about quite a few other deals this season too.

Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up back @ Celtic.

there are stats and there are stats, but that's quite damning and not unsurprising to me. Without VVD we have looked incredibly vulnerable in the air, not helped by losing the likes of Wanyama, Morgan and Pelle. Our side is far too small IMO.

You don't need stats to see that we were very vulnerable at the back from Feb onwards. Forget Van Dijk, he's one of the best in the country and we're lucky to have him, any team would miss him, the problem was Fonte wasn't replaced and the fact was we had two centre backs playing that would struggle to get a game in any other premier league team. People want Stephens and Yoshida to do well, which is fair enough but the reality was as a pair they were poor, individually with a stronger player alongside them they might work but together it was arguably the worst pairing in the premier league. However much people might like Yoshida he is no better than third choice and Stephens may well develop into a decent player but he's not there yet.

We need one top 10 standard centre back in Van Dijk stays, two if he goes, which makes the signing of the Polish kid even more bizarre, we've got 3 back up centre backs already and one of them is a young promising player. Stock piling back up, one for the squad type players whilst not addressing the first team was what got us relegated before.

I know it's still only early August but everything seems so quiet on in-comings that it is beginning to look an awful lot like we aren't going to bring in anyone of any consequence unless we sell first. The Polish lad was brought in for peanuts in today's market and will have been paid for by Rodriguez getting sold.

Could backfire if we force VVD to stay and in return, he spends the season sulking and doing as little as possible.

I know it's still only early August but everything seems so quiet on in-comings that it is beginning to look an awful lot like we aren't going to bring in anyone of any consequence unless we sell first. The Polish lad was brought in for peanuts in today's market and will have been paid for by Rodriguez getting sold.

Could backfire if we force VVD to stay and in return, he spends the season sulking and doing as little as possible.

If he stays and wants out next summer, he will have to put a shift in. No good in throwing a Diva strop if nobody wants you next season. He will have to do a Morgan/Clyne/Wanyama.

It will backfire, a 1 team cb shouldve been bought in already, if we buy after (yes after vvd goes) we will get stung as teams know how much we have to spend, be it Hoedt or as like in january when we webt for Schar (except we wouldn't pay the extra 5m). We will start season on the back foot yet again

I refer you to the quotes of RK just after the season finished (the same where he said no one will be leaving). Something along the lines of not bringing in many in. I think we will see one or two more. Perhaps a n other if Virgi van (pull your finger out of the) dijk does leave.

Celtic need to win tonight to progress in the CL......

Personally I think they need to lose so we can bring in Armstrong

Could definitely see Armstrong being a player who would interest us - He'd be seen as a better value (but not as good) version of Sigurdsson.

If we did want Patrick Roberts, would be handy to sign him up 1st, BEFORE we sell VvD or bid for Armstrong so we don't give Celtic the money to sign him!

I refer you to the quotes of RK just after the season finished (the same where he said no one will be leaving). Something along the lines of not bringing in many in. I think we will see one or two more. Perhaps a n other if Virgi van (pull your finger out of the) dijk does leave.

Who is RK from the last season? I have no idea

Easy peasy

Get Andreas Christensen in part exchange for Van Dijk and spend some of the money on Wesley Hoedt - 2 centrebacks with first team experience in the Bundesliga and Serie A - right age at 23 and 24. And send Gardos and Bednarek out on loan.

And spend the rest of the money on one of William Carhalho, Geoffrey Kondogbia or Gregorz Kryochiawk to partner Romeu in midfield.

Easy peasy as you say!

Get Andreas Christensen in part exchange for Van Dijk and spend some of the money on Wesley Hoedt - 2 centrebacks with first team experience in the Bundesliga and Serie A - right age at 23 and 24. And send Gardos and Bednarek out on loan.

And spend the rest of the money on one of William Carhalho, Geoffrey Kondogbia or Gregorz Kryochiawk to partner Romeu in midfield.

Easy peasy as you say!

Nice idea, we need at least one proper CB desperately. But, we ain't buying and selling cars and you can't just part ex footballers. Players have to be willing to move to other clubs. VVD seemingly only wants to go to Liverpool, feck knows why, but that's what he wants. We can't make him go to Chelsea anymore than we can make Christensen join us. As for finding anyone who'd take Gardos, forget about it.

Easy peasy

Not that I necessarily agree with the idea quoted, but we do have permanent members of staff whose sole job it is to plan and execute transfer comings and goings. It might not be a doddle, but let's not pretend it's impossibly difficult either.

to be fair, it is absolutely criminal that we are heading into the season without bringing in a DM and a CB, both being starting quality.

should highlight something to worry about at the club to be honest

I think Ross Wilson has spent the year hibernating.

to be fair, it is absolutely criminal that we are heading into the season without bringing in a DM and a CB, both being starting quality.

should highlight something to worry about at the club to be honest

Agreed.

Read somewhere we have the 2nd smalliest defence in the EFL.

If Virgil went then we easily become the worse,

Showed last night.

It's not just the defence the midfield in front of the defence is so light weight and easy to bypass it gives no protection to the back line at all.

It's our midfield where we have lost so much quality. Do we have any players in our team right now better than the likes of mane, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Lallana? The answer is pretty much no. Our midfield has regressed significantly and we really need at least one real quality player to play alongside romeu. I'm very surprised we haven't brought that player in already. No idea why we bought this new cb.

Been told of 2 incomings 1 is really close the other I find hard to believe seeing as he has been linked to aswell.

The one that is close is Danny Ings. The other one which I find hard to believe, but my source has been very good, is in the last year of his contract and won't be involved in his 1st team affairs where he is at the minute. He is an attacking mid aswell.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Been told of 2 incomings 1 is really close the other I find hard to believe seeing as he has been linked to aswell.

The one that is close is Danny Ings. The other one which I find hard to believe, but my source has been very good, is in the last year of his contract and won't be involved in his 1st team affairs where he is at the minute. He is an attacking mid aswell.

So we're signing Ross Barkley ? Arf, arf, arf.

Find it difficult to believe we'd go for Ings considering his injury problems. We've just got rid of one sick note, why replace with another?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not overly impressed with Ings. Could be more of the same. But the second is intriguing. [emoji41]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

i mean i get why puel would prefer smaller more technical players in midfield because he did so well with mendy, koziello in nice and both were no taller than 5ft 5 but once we saw that neither one of clasie davies or even jwp were technical or mobile enough and hoj wasn't the finished article yet, we should have parted with one or two of them then brought in a more mobile and powerful cm to come straight into the team this season.

it cant be that 95% of posters on here are voicing concerns about our midfield and all of us are completely wrong and clueless.

every other team in the pl has decent mobile and powerful cms. capue, dembele, kante/matic, ramsey, herrera, arter(slightly), even ndong etc...

That is what I've been told him and ings. Even though my source is good I find Barkley hard to believe. Just passing on what I've been told

I'll perform self-fellatio live on Saintsweb if Barkley signs. Thankfully I think I'll get to keep my pants on

That is what I've been told him and ings. Even though my source is good I find Barkley hard to believe. Just passing on what I've been told

Ha ha.

Koeman to Barkley 'Saints have made an offer for you and the board have accepted it, what are your thoughts?'

Barkley 'Is that contract offer still available Ron?'

Both seem extremely unlikely unless Ings is part of the VVD to Liverpool deal.

How reliable is your source?

We were in for Ings before he went to Liverpool, from what I'm told, his agent wanted to keep him up there and they offered him substantially more than we did.

Strange one for us to move for him now given his Injury record, but would be a good addition if he can stay fit (IMO hes an upgrade on Shane Long).

As for Barkley, I just can't see it. Everton will Demand £40m+ and I've read he wants about £125k a week. Personally I don't really rate him either, massively overrated and for that money I'd rather take Siggurdsson.

No offence to you - I'm happy for people passing on information - but it does sound like someone's having a laugh with you.