Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Rooney will have a good season with Everton, and I respect him for actually playing for a team he loves. Long is pretty poor at actually kicking a ball towards a goal. If it was a straight choice I'd have Rooney I'm afraid.

Thank heavens its not your choice then...that was a pretty poor shot by Long at Anfield wasn't it. Actually playing for a team he loves....nothing to do with money they were offering then? How easy to forget Long under Koeman.

Rooney was abysmal for most of last year - he looked terrible at SMS but so were Man Utd who were not trying yet we still couldn't beat them.

We are still a few light and a Romeu assistant is one...unless Hojbjerg comes good.

Cheer up! ffs

A replacement with very similar attributes to van Dijk is seemingly on his way...

Liverpool have an annual income 3x that of Southampton, are able to offer £200k p/w wages and Champions League football. Delusional to think a players head wouldn't be turned. It is better for Saints to have players like van Dijk or Mane for two years than not at all. Only a handful of clubs in world football aren't "selling clubs", it is delusional to think Saints will ever be in that elite. Nothing wrong with our position as one of the best clubs for 20 - 25 years olds to join before moving on to some of the richest clubs in the world.

I think tongue might be firmly placed in cheek!

Thank heavens its not your choice then...that was a pretty poor shot by Long at Anfield wasn't it. Actually playing for a team he loves....nothing to do with money they were offering then? How easy to forget Long under Koeman.

Rooney was abysmal for most of last year - he looked terrible at SMS but so were Man Utd who were not trying yet we still couldn't beat them.

We are still a few light and a Romeu assistant is one...unless Hojbjerg comes good.

In Long's first season under Koeman he got 5 goals in 32 league appearances. Which Long under Koeman do you want to treat as a valid representation of his talent and potential - the statistical outlier, or the season that almost precisely mapped his career average of popping up with five or six a season?

In Long's first season under Koeman he got 5 goals in 32 league appearances. Which Long under Koeman do you want to treat as a valid representation of his talent and potential - the statistical outlier, or the season that almost precisely mapped his career average of popping up with five or six a season?

That first season he was also used out on the wing for the vast majority of it. Only time he got a proper run up front was the second season when Pelle was out injured.

Not sure Wimmer would add much. Not good enough to replace VVD and for £20m there must be better options available. Most Spurs fans I know think he is ****e.

I like Wimmer. Left footed. Good player.

Spurs want £20m for him & Im just not sure we'd be in for him if VvD stays.

Not sure Wimmer would add much. Not good enough to replace VVD and for £20m there must be better options available. Most Spurs fans I know think he is ****e.
Most Spurs fans... really ?? Who is good enough to replace a 75m defender ?

I watched him a few times and looked better than we have by far

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Most Spurs fans... really ?? Who is good enough to replace a 75m defender ?

I watched him a few times and looked better than we have by far

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Much better than Yoshida or Stephens? Really?

CB - VVD, JS, Yoshi, Gardos, Bednarek. Do we need another without getting rid of first?

Has yoshi only got one year left on his contract? Either him or Gardos. Would be a bit harsh on JS as imagine that would knock him back to 3rd/4th choice depending on which one. I see Bednarek more as one for the future

CB - VVD, JS, Yoshi, Gardos, Bednarek. Do we need another without getting rid of first?

Well, Gardos obviously doesn't have a future here, and things are awfully quiet around Yoshi, given that he's only got a year left on his contract and we hand out new contracts like confetti even to wheelie bins with four years remaining on their previous deals...

So perhaps Wimmer is a bit of future planning - along with Bednarek and tying Stephens up long-term - for 12 months down the line when we have neither Virgil or Yoshida at the club. By then Alfie Jones could be in first team contention, and we'd have four CBs in the 20-25 age range.

Just a thought.

Spurs bought Wimmer for £4m, he's made 15 appearances, been accused as being the worst CB ever to play for them but he's miraculously gone up in value to a reported £20m.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/07/26/tottenham-hotspur-fans-react-on-twitter-to-kevin-wimmers-display/

We signed Gardos for around £6m, he's made 18 appearances, how much must he be worth now?

I've no idea if Wimmer is a good fit for us or not, just crazy that underperforming players that can't even get in their side can quadruple in value in such a short unsuccessful space of time.

Spurs bought Wimmer for £4m, he's made 15 appearances, been accused as being the worst CB ever to play for them but he's miraculously gone up in value to a reported £20m.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/07/26/tottenham-hotspur-fans-react-on-twitter-to-kevin-wimmers-display/

We signed Gardos for around £6m, he's made 18 appearances, how much must he be worth now?

I've no idea if Wimmer is a good fit for us or not, just crazy that underperforming players that can't even get in their side can quadruple in value in such a short unsuccessful space of time.

we sold rodriguez for £15m.

he was a shambles last season

I think we all need to accept that the market has gone mental and get on the bus

Well, Gardos obviously doesn't have a future here, and things are awfully quiet around Yoshi, given that he's only got a year left on his contract and we hand out new contracts like confetti even to wheelie bins with four years remaining on their previous deals...

So perhaps Wimmer is a bit of future planning - along with Bednarek and tying Stephens up long-term - for 12 months down the line when we have neither Virgil or Yoshida at the club. By then Alfie Jones could be in first team contention, and we'd have four CBs in the 20-25 age range.

Just a thought.

Agreed

Quadrupled in price but not in value. Price inflation.

Much better than Yoshida or Stephens? Really?

With Stephens and yoshida I just feel we are prone to balls into the box and add to that a keeper who doesn't command his area I think this is cause for concern.

Dendoncker

Wimner

That'll do us.

Would be happy with that.

But, if we assume the telegraph story is true and we are looking to add 2 players, I'm going to guess we go for an attacking midfielder & hopefully a speedy wing forward.

I'd love a partner for Romeu, but I think the club will feel Clasie/Hojbjerg/Davis is sufficient.

I think there's mileage in the old Stuart Armstrong story. They will see the value in it and it's quite a Saints type of signing.

A Van Dijk - Wimmer pairing would be excellent imo.
Much better than Van Dijk - Stephens?

Wimmer has played 15 games for Spurs in a couple of years and seems to have played less the longer he has been there.

I think Wimmers would be a pretty solid signing, one game in pre-season is pretty irrelevant, plus Spurs fans opinions are worthless IMO.

Also £20 million sadly seems to be the market, but I doubt we'd move for him unless VVD did go and we aren't going to replace VVD, but we hardly did terribly defensively with Yoshida and Stephens. I'd also expect the club have more options and the Wimmer thing is just being heavily pushed by the media because it's an obvious link.

Here's my spurs supporting mate's opinion of Wimmer:

Yup. Needs to play regularly tho, not a natural athlete but when he gets a run he's solid as ****. When he's on the bench he turns into Elvis c.1977.

Thing is he's better than Dier at the back but Poch keeps playing Dier ahead of him when Toby or Jan are out. You could do a lot worse. Straight swap for Gabiadinni?

Yup. Needs to play regularly tho, not a natural athlete but when he gets a run he's solid as ****. When he's on the bench he turns into Elvis c.1977.

Well there are a few players like that who need a run to get going. Rickie was a case in point as has been demonstrated even more since he left Saints.

Dont know enough about this Wimmer to know if hes any good or not tbh

Thing is he's better than Dier at the back but Poch keeps playing Dier ahead of him when Toby or Jan are out. You could do a lot worse. Straight swap for Gabiadinni?

Tell him a swap deal for Kane instead?

:)

I can't understand why Yoshi is so uner valued and under rated, he has been the most relaible during all the CB turmoil. OK he made a few costly back passes a couple of seasons ago but we can't hole that against him for life

I can't understand why Yoshi is so uner valued and under rated, he has been the most relaible during all the CB turmoil. OK he made a few costly back passes a couple of seasons ago but we can't hole that against him for life

He has too many lapses of concentration to start regularly for a club that supposedly wants to be top 8.

Do you seriously think he's good enough to be first choice centre back in a top 10 premier league team? How many other top half teams would he get into?

He's a good guy, tries his best and is a decent squad member but seriously, on the one hand people moan about lack of ambition, not keeping our best players then there are those who think Yoshida is the answer.