Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I think we've all got takeover fatigue. I don't think I could spend more than another 2 years on here if I'm honest.

Which coincidentally is when the parachutes dry up, Chinny finally buggers off, and the Cheats FC rotten corpse finally dies.

Yep, I think you can safely retire from nutjobdom in 2 years time. I wonder how may posts you'll hit by then - probably a world record. :D

From The Muppet Show

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/wor...-1226481996789

Surprised PST hasn't gone down (:rolleyes:) this route.

Much better chance of getting enough cash this way than through the pledges system

One thing I am sure of...

If the young lass in the story is having doubts about drinking from the furry cup, then the arrival of TCWTB will convince her beyond all doubt that the sapphic way of life is the right one.

Depends who we think will provide most entertainment if/when they take over....

Here's the direct link to the petition for any interested nutjobbers.... http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-portpin-at-pompey

Whew! Made it to the 600 mark, thanks again to everyone who has signed the petition.Like to say thanks to fans from other clubs and supporters trusts that have also signed the petition and voiced their support

Would they really thank us too if we boosted the numbers...?! I guess it would be a little amusing to give them our support....but for different reasons....

Edited by trousers

Oi. That was my line about ten posts ago!

It does seem amazing they would want a club like Leeds with all their history and fan base who are clearly on the ip rather than that lot down the road though.

allezlesbleus

9:46 AM on 27/09/2012

I am not for BC or anti PST, as stated many times. I would express a desire for the PST if asked. However, I struggle to come out in favour of them because there are unanswered key questions for me and because of misinformation put out on here by the zealots in favour of the PST. With the exception of Tiger who seems to support everyone but the trust, anyone raising genuine concerns don't get those concerns addressed, they are merely shouted down with evangelical zeal. It is almost like if the PST take over we will become like the Taliban and have executions before games of those that dared raise a concern against the trust. Mind you, rather that than the dreadful sight of cheerleaders.

Oi. That was my line about ten posts ago!

It does seem amazing they would want a club like Leeds with all their history and fan base who are clearly on the ip rather than that lot down the road though.

If they are after IP expertise then surely poorsmuff are the world's leading exponents of that

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/pompey-rue-the-stars-who-slipped-through-the-net-1-4305781

Head of recruitment Luke Dowling said: ‘We are a sellable club for players because we are Portsmouth with great fans. :facepalm:

‘This summer we had Billy Paynter’s agent on the phone and there was a lot of interest from the boy. He wanted to come.

‘Doncaster offered a two-year contract and we offered a month.

‘You live in Leeds, so what are you going to do? It was a no-brainer for him.

‘If it wasn’t a month-to-month contract, though, then he would have been here.

‘We also wanted to take a boy from up north who has played in the Championship and would be great in this league.

‘He was prepared to come here, it was sorted with his club – wages and everything.

‘However, he wanted to bring his wife and two kids down with him but couldn’t a month at a time.

‘Iain Hume was another one of them, he had agreed to come – and instead went to Doncaster.

‘Peter Ramage was all done and everything agreed, I think he was quite excited about the thought of coming here. He is now at Palace.

‘Darren Ward was another lined-up to come here.

‘The boy Andy Williams was also on the radar. He was over the moon Pompey had an interest in him but in the end joined Swindon in late July.

‘There are several who have re-signed contracts at their clubs in the Championship despite being potentially squad players. They were initially willing to come here, though.

‘We are where we are, we have got to move on and forget that but it shows how difficult it has been.’

Not that Dowling is blaming everything on the club’s precarious situation.

He fully realises they must also live within their means.

He added: ‘Even if we’d been in a stable position, some have still gone elsewhere and got stupid money.

‘It’s not like we have lost out just because the state of the club, we have lost out on players because, regardless, some have got better money.

‘We have just been more in a situation where we cannot give them the security they want rather than wages.’

:lol:

Edited by trousers

‘We have just been more in a situation where we cannot give them the security they want rather than wages.’

There we have it (again). It's not the money on offer that's the problem, its the month to month nature of it.

Lowest wage bill in the division, my arse. Do the few still actually believe that?

There we have it (again). It's not the money on offer that's the problem, its the month to month nature of it.

Lowest wage bill in the division, my arse. Do the few still actually believe that?

Especially when you look at the players they were talking to, or were they trying to dupe them into signing something that wasn't?

It's like house hunting and I can only afford to rent a 2 bed flat but I tell the estate agent I'm interested in buying a 3 bed semi. It's not going to work.

If we didn't have 1500 pages of similar antics to fall back on we'd all be astounded by such revelations but that article just goes to show that it's BAU down the road in Pompey fantasy football land, no matter how much they dress it up as a hard luck story. In fact, the more they bleat about how hard done by they are the more it reveals how they still want to fall back on the tried and tested method of cheating to be "competitive".

Edited by trousers

If we didn't have 1500 pages of similar antics to fall back on we'd all be astounded by such revelations but that article just goes to show that it's BAU down the road in Pompey fantasy football land, no matter how much they dress it up as a hard luck story. In fact, the more they bleat about how hard done by they are the more it reveals how they still want to fall back on the tried and tested method of cheating to be "competitive".

There's something that I'm curious about (and surely any right-thinking Pompey fan, if there are any, would wonder the same):

Trevor Birch is currently running the club on a budget that he has determined himself. His (exorbitant) fees plus all his cronies at PKF who are continuing to fill in their timesheets at a rapid old pace are of course an enormous drain on resources. However, I'm curious as to what the weekly playing budget is right now; and how does that fit in with either Portpin's or the Trust's business plan?

I ask, because in the original propsals submitted, Portpin's and the Trust's budgetted wage bills were of two different amounts. Portpin pledged to run the club with an average player wage of £1,600 per week or so. The Trust had a more optimistic figure of £2,500 per week (that is until they realised that £2M in player defferral payments was a deal-breaker and upped it to the full £8.5M; the effect that had on the players wage budget is yet to be known).

So my point is this; is the current player wage bill in line with the budgetted wage bills in either of bids submitted? If so, which one? If not, is it currently higher or lower than the budgets received? And (perhaps most importantly) are the two bidding parties actually aware what the wage budget is at the moment, and whether they can afford to retain the entire playing staff should their takeover be successful?

It seems a fairly valid question to me, but one that's never been asked, its just assumed that Tricky Trev knows what he's doing. As far as i can see, the only thing that Trickster has got spot on is drawing this whole saga out for as long as possible, running up huge bills from PKF, which will surely be paid from the £3M parachute payment recently received which was previously set aside for an operating budget. The actual feasibility of, you know, running the club beyond a takeover is seemingly being lost in the background.

Edited by The Kraken

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/appleton-s-pompey-work-wins-admiration-of-rivals-1-4304151

‘There is sympathy and people say they wouldn’t like to be in our shoes – but they would all like to be manager of Portsmouth, I am sure.’

After all, this would be the pinnacle of their careers, wouldn't it? Forget that they're in the lower echelons of the third division, in administration, facing a further 10 point deduction, likely to be relegated to the fourth division if they're lucky enough to escape liquidation, only allowed to sign players on monthly contracts, etc.

This is a giant club with British Football's greatest supporters. They are an iconic brand with a glorious history, superb facilities and infrastructure, a sleeping giant.

Any manager would give his right arm to manage them. There would be a queue of them right around that state of the art stadium of theirs applying for the post, were Appy to depart :lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})