Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Yet more classic slide splitting lines in there....

‘Some people ask how we have managed to sign the players we have done in the situation we are.

‘That’s down to two things – the status of Portsmouth and Michael. :lol:

The quality of the Blues’ playing squad is often questioned by opposition clubs.

It is often perceived by those outside the city that Pompey are continuing to pay big wages.

That has been laughed off by Dowling, who is adamant it is Appleton – not cash – which is the key factor.

He added: ‘People still do think we have got money, they ask how we have these players. That is down to Michael and the club itself. :lol:

‘It’s remarkable to think we get phone calls from agents and most think Portsmouth can still pay good money. It’s fascinating, they still think Portsmouth pay stupid money. Unbelievable. :facepalm:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/pompey-rue-the-stars-who-slipped-through-the-net-1-4305781

Head of recruitment Luke Dowling said: ‘We are a sellable club for players because we are Portsmouth with great fans.

‘This summer we had Billy Paynter’s agent on the phone and there was a lot of interest from the boy. He wanted to come.

‘Doncaster offered a two-year contract and we offered a month.

‘You live in Leeds, so what are you going to do? It was a no-brainer for him.

‘If it wasn’t a month-to-month contract, though, then he would have been here.

‘We also wanted to take a boy from up north who has played in the Championship and would be great in this league.

‘He was prepared to come here, it was sorted with his club – wages and everything.

‘However, he wanted to bring his wife and two kids down with him but couldn’t a month at a time.

‘Iain Hume was another one of them, he had agreed to come – and instead went to Doncaster.

‘Peter Ramage was all done and everything agreed, I think he was quite excited about the thought of coming here. He is now at Palace.

‘Darren Ward was another lined-up to come here.

‘The boy Andy Williams was also on the radar. He was over the moon Pompey had an interest in him but in the end joined Swindon in late July.

‘There are several who have re-signed contracts at their clubs in the Championship despite being potentially squad players. They were initially willing to come here, though.

‘We are where we are, we have got to move on and forget that but it shows how difficult it has been.’

Not that Dowling is blaming everything on the club’s precarious situation.

He fully realises they must also live within their means.

He added: ‘Even if we’d been in a stable position, some have still gone elsewhere and got stupid money.

‘It’s not like we have lost out just because the state of the club, we have lost out on players because, regardless, some have got better money.

‘We have just been more in a situation where we cannot give them the security they want rather than wages.’

:lol:

Luke Dowling was that lad at school who claimed that all the birds fancied him.

Mind you being linked unscuccessfully to Billy Paynter et al is a bit of a come down from Riquleme and Maradona.

There's something that I'm curious about (and surely any right-thinking Pompey fan, if there are any, would wonder the same):

Trevor Birch is currently running the club on a budget that he has determined himself. His (exorbitant) fees plus all his cronies at PKF who are continuing to fill in their timesheets at a rapid old pace are of course an enormous drain on resources. However, I'm curious as to what the weekly playing budget is right now; and how does that fit in with either Portpin's or the Trust's business plan?

I ask, because in the original propsals submitted, Portpin's and the Trust's budgetted wage bills were of two different amounts. Portpin pledged to run the club with an average player wage of £1,600 per week or so. The Trust had a more optimistic figure of £2,500 per week (that is until they realised that £2M in player defferral payments was a deal-breaker and upped it to the full £8.5M; the effect that had on the players wage budget is yet to be known).

So my point is this; is the current player wage bill in line with the budgetted wage bills in either of bids submitted? If so, which one? If not, is it currently higher or lower than the budgets received? And (perhaps most importantly) are the two bidding parties actually aware what the wage budget is at the moment, and whether they can afford to retain the entire playing staff should their takeover be successful?

It seems a fairly valid question to me, but one that's never been asked, its just assumed that Tricky Trev knows what he's doing. As far as i can see, the only thing that Trickster has got spot on is drawing this whole saga out for as long as possible, running up huge bills from PKF, which will surely be paid from the £3M parachute payment recently received which was previously set aside for an operating budget. The actual feasibility of, you know, running the club beyond a takeover is seemingly being lost in the background.

Depends on whether any of the quoted figure takes tax into account this time! PFC has a convenient habit of forgetting details like that.

Well done nut jobs on all your hard work to get to today's figure.

Can we have a league table of posts per user from someone who knows how to do that sort if thing? Haven't had one of them for a while.

By all means: http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=14620

Trousers is, as one might expect, King of the Nutjobs with a stonking 3,354 posts. :toppa:

First Lord of the Nutjobs status must go to rallyboy though, for both the quality of his posts (he has learned well from Pompey's own quality not quantity approach) and the fact that, as a registered user, he can only post three times a day, making 1,421 posts quite an achievement.

Speaking as a humble foot soldier Nutjob, with a mere 446 posts in this thread to my name, I can only salute those whose post counts register in the thousands...

Actually, make that 447. :D

Well done nut jobs on all your hard work to get to today's figure.

Can we have a league table of posts per user from someone who knows how to do that sort if thing? Haven't had one of them for a while.

Top 20

trousers Posts 2,290

dubai_phil Posts 2,096

pedg Posts 1,655

OldNick Posts 1,421

rallyboy Posts 1,318

Gemmel Posts 1,237

Channon's Sideburns Posts 1,163

Gingeletiss Posts 1,149

View From The Top Posts 1,020

Crab Lungs Posts 956

EastleighSoulBoy Posts 933

Dark Munster Posts 890

sidthesquid Posts 876

Matthew Le God Posts 869

JackFrost Posts 821

hypochondriac Posts 801

hutch Posts 793

stevegrant Posts 783

bridge too far Posts 774

benjii Posts 746

Trousers is, as one might expect, King of the Nutjobs with a stonking 3,354 posts.

First Lord of the Nutjobs status must go to rallyboy though, for both the quality of his posts (he has learned well from Pompey's own quality not quantity approach) and the fact that, as a registered user, he can only post three times a day, making 1,421 posts quite an achievement.

Speaking as a humble foot soldier Nutjob, with a mere 446 posts in this thread to my name, I can only salute those whose post counts register in the thousands...

yeah Im just outside the top 20 so stopped there. ;o)

Trousers is, as one might expect, King of the Nutjobs with a stonking 3,354 posts. :toppa:

Quality over quantity any day of the week on this thread ;-)

It would be interesting to see the percentage of posts against total posts, I think Rallyboy would win that one.

Edited by Doctoroncall

Top 20

trousers Posts 2,290

dubai_phil Posts 2,096

pedg Posts 1,655

OldNick Posts 1,421

rallyboy Posts 1,318

Gemmel Posts 1,237

Gingeletiss Posts 1,149

Crab Lungs Posts 956

Dark Munster Posts 890

sidthesquid Posts 876

Matthew Le God Posts 869

JackFrost Posts 821

hypochondriac Posts 801

hutch Posts 793

stevegrant Posts 783

bridge too far Posts 774

benjii Posts 746

I used to be top but Im slipping down the league. Even Pedg is above me now

Top 20

trousers Posts 2,290

dubai_phil Posts 2,096

pedg Posts 1,655

OldNick Posts 1,421

rallyboy Posts 1,318

Gemmel Posts 1,237

Gingeletiss Posts 1,149

Crab Lungs Posts 956

Dark Munster Posts 890

sidthesquid Posts 876

Matthew Le God Posts 869

JackFrost Posts 821

hypochondriac Posts 801

hutch Posts 793

stevegrant Posts 783

bridge too far Posts 774

benjii Posts 746

of course Trousers just puts up posts of no relevance to add to his total, which is a little bit off IMO

Yet more classic slide splitting lines in there....

There is no way that the likes of Howard, Michalik, Williamson, Russell will be on anything lower than £3000 a week. No way, not a chance.

They were paying PL wages in the Champ, so there's a good chance they'll be paying lower-end Champ wages in L1. It's the Pompey way, innit?

In the Portsea Island constitution, it reads "All residents and representatives have a divine right to be competitiv, innit"

Talking of which, can anyone come up with any funnehs if Portsea Island really did have a constitution....

Edited by Crab Lungs

this is the worrying bit...some of my lengthier rants take an hour to put together.

Some pages can take twenty minutes to read...

Add up the hours and I have lost literally months of my life in here.:scared:

And I say in here as the main board is far less civilised, and the last time I actually commented on something Saints-related I was politely asked what I was doing outside the lounge.

I find that the main board has less quality humour and more saint-on-saint vitriol, whereas this thread is a cosy but downmarket gentleman's club, and an all things pompey news portal and research centre.

Nice armchairs, not much of a dress code, 24/7 access to world news on money-laundering and arms dealing, all supplied by a better class of internet timewaster.

So this is a safe place, you can pop in and have a laugh with friends and mock the worse off - it's Cheers with an edge.

But you have to know the demons within and control them, quality over quantity isn't just a mad Lampitt idea, it's a coping mechanism for addiction to skate-bashing.

Avram doesn't go to Horton Heath, Peter Sutcliffe doesn't pick up hitchhikers, Rallyboy doesn't pay his fiver.

He needs to retain some of his life in the real world, and restricting himself to three posts does that.

And I've started talking about him in the 3rd person, which is worrying, he has taken on his own identity, he is a nutjob within a nutjob.:uhoh:

Roll on the PTS social event - I look forward to putting faces to names.

And so does he.

The 2,000 pages party?

Or I quite fancy 1885 as a page number to celebrate.

The 1885 League of Nutjobs....the book that pompey's first goalkeeper refused to write, he was too busy looking for fairies on his compost heap.

this is the worrying bit...some of my lengthier rants take an hour to put together.

And I say in here as the main board is far less civilised, and the last time I actually commented on something Saints-related I was politely asked what I was doing outside the lounge.

I find that the main board has less quality humour and more saint-on-saint vitriol, whereas this thread is a cosy but downmarket gentleman's club, and an all things pompey news portal and research centre.

Nice armchairs, not much of a dress code, 24/7 access to world news on money-laundering and arms dealing, all supplied by a better class of internet timewaster.

So this is a safe place, you can pop in and have a laugh with friends and mock the worse off - it's Cheers with an edge.

But you have to know the demons within and control them, quality over quantity isn't just a mad Lampitt idea, it's a coping mechanism for addiction to skate-bashing.

Avram doesn't go to Horton Heath, Peter Sutcliffe doesn't pick up hitchhikers, Rallyboy doesn't pay his fiver.

He needs to retain some of his life in the real world, and restricting himself to three posts does that.

And I've started talking about him in the 3rd person, which is worrying, he has taken on his own identity, he is a nutjob within a nutjob.:uhoh:

And so does he.

The 2,000 pages party?

The 1885 League of Nutjobs....the book that pompey's first goalkeeper refused to write, he was too busy looking for fairies on his compost heap.

Youve got that down to a T! Something with Pompey in thats a nicer place to visit kinda makes me be a little bit sick in my mouth though. x(

And so does he.

The 2,000 pages party?

Don't tell Turkish there is not much of a dress code, or he'll set one up. He's obsessed with clothes!

(Personally, as I write this I have on a rather nice satin velvet smoking jacket in an understated midnight blue.)

Right Post 15,000 party is all ready to go. Shame none of you lot RSVP'd

Anyway we have more Polish Food than you'd find on Shirley High Street

And most important, 8 (specially imported ie smuggled past customs) different Polish Vodkas to test to pick THE one for the Wedding.

In fact our total spend on this was almost 120 quid.

About the same amount as TB has left for the PST from the Parachute payments.

Have a nice page 1502 y'all not gonna be too well tomorrow

Don't tell Turkish there is not much of a dress code, or he'll set one up. He's obsessed with clothes!

(Personally, as I write this I have on a rather nice satin velvet smoking jacket in an understated midnight blue.)

With a nice silk burgandy paisley cravat, I hope?

Right Post 15,000 party is all ready to go. Shame none of you lot RSVP'd

Anyway we have more Polish Food than you'd find on Shirley High Street

And most important, 8 (specially imported ie smuggled past customs) different Polish Vodkas to test to pick THE one for the Wedding.

In fact our total spend on this was almost 120 quid.

About the same amount as TB has left for the PST from the Parachute payments.

Have a nice page 1502 y'all not gonna be too well tomorrow

Take the Vodka with the grass in the bottle, you know it makes sense.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})