Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

They'll now be linked with pretty much any possible loanee or free transfer, so I wouldn't read too much into that. The bad news is that they'll almost certainly get O'Hara back. Plus they'll have some others in mind, though whether they get them or not is a different matter.

The better news is that they'll even more certainly lose some of their better players.

statement from the premier league

In a statement the Premier League said: "The board has taken this action as Portsmouth FC has no outstanding debts to football clubs as of this date."

i.e. we know they still owe shedloads, but they have agreed instalments whilst holding creditors over a barrel with the threat of admin, and haven't defaulted on these yet, but they undoubtedly will do when they next become due, and then they will be fooked again, and we are just covering our arses for now

statement from the premier league

In a statement the Premier League said: "The board has taken this action as Portsmouth FC has no outstanding debts to football clubs as of this date."

i.e. we know they still owe shedloads, but they have agreed instalments whilst holding creditors over a barrel with the threat of admin, and haven't defaulted on these yet, but they undoubtedly will do when they next become due, and then they will be fooked again, and we are just covering our arses for now

Kin-ell St K Is that word for word? Might not be a lie but Bit Strong INIT!;)

im more of a Cuthbert Collingwood man...well I spent most of my shore time in collingwood..:o and a dabble in chicksands

Sparky or greeny..can't remember or was it leccy...Anyway What did Nelson mean.....goodbye in French...Those canons must have done your ears...mutton and jeff..

Clubswinger at Gosport Sultan in 70/71...next to Posting/drafting and when they came through for sport in hangar..I used to look after the scribes who then got me a married accompanied to Rooke Gibraltar base PTI...Two Gib FA Cup final winners medals 71/72.....As you know like winning IOW cup final..:rolleyes:

I digress..What were we talking about....COYRs

Rumour alert.....Jack Wilshere(sp) from Arsenal is going to be loaned to them.

Wouldn't surprise me if Arsenal will also pay his wages. Arsenal are set to lose the 6 points they got against them (and +6 g.d.) if the skates are wound up, so Wenger and Arsenal will probably do everything they can to keep the skates alive until the end of the season. :cool:

Wouldn't surprise me if Arsenal will also pay his wages. Arsenal are set to lose the 6 points they got against them (and +6 g.d.) if the skates are wound up, so Wenger and Arsenal will probably do everything they can to keep the skates alive until the end of the season. :cool:

Arsenal won't lose 6 points if Pompey go bust...

I don't doubt he may be interested, but if he is I would say it will be after the administration plug has been pulled.

Having said that, if I was a P*mpey fan I would do everything in my power to stop yet another dodgy foreign crook taking over my club.

But even then it's still going to cost in the region of £30m + as that's the sort of money that the assets would raise. Additionally, Gaydamak would be holding the land to ransom so he couldn't develop a ground on the existing site.

Maybe he'd be better stumping up enough cash up front (depending on whether the actual debt is closer to £60m than £85m)

Having said all of that, it still makes no financial sense to buy Pompey whichever way you look at it. The problem is the number of creditors. I assume if a club goes into admin that the stadium, as the security of a loan, immediately goes to Chainrai. Any buyer would have to negotiate with him for the release of that, and then for the land around it separately with Gaydamak. It's a complete minefield, and time is short. For that reason, why would he buy Pompey?

Wrong, it's why the Transfer embargo has been lifted. They can only get Loan deals or free transfers - The Premier league are obviosuly still not happy with their money situation so have put on this 'condition' if you like.

So, they're looking for clubs who can are willing to give them players on free transfers (and those players will obviously need to be prepared to sign for them), and they can loan one more player (assuming O'Hara comes back) - they're only one short of their quota.

In short, this is moving the deck chairs around on the titanic.

A question on loan players.

Does the club who owns the player still pay the player and recharge the club the player is lent to or does the player get paid by the club he gets lent to?

I'd would have guessed the former option as the player is still registered to the first club. If so any player getting lent to Pompey won't care about the financial situation as they are guarenteed their money.

A question on loan players.

Does the club who owns the player still pay the player and recharge the club the player is lent to or does the player get paid by the club he gets lent to?

I'd would have guessed the former option as the player is still registered to the first club. If so any player getting lent to Pompey won't care about the financial situation as they are guarenteed their money.

Yep, the player will still be the employee of the loaning club so will get paid by them.

Pompey's problem isn't an issue in terms of loanee's wages but is not great for any player of the calibre to demand a decent loan fee!

Yep, the player will still be the employee of the loaning club so will get paid by them.

Pompey's problem isn't an issue in terms of loanee's wages but is not great for any player of the calibre to demand a decent loan fee!

Must admit that I hadn't considered the fact that they may not be able to get any loan signings where a fee is due!!

Just listening to the radio about Crystal Palace, saying that by going into administration today to avoid their winding up order they now have a year of administration to sort out their financial woes. I would imagine that Pompey will do something similar and go into admin at the last moment to avoid being wound up. It seems they will be with us for a while yet, unless the administrator decides they are a lost cause anyway.

Must admit that I hadn't considered the fact that they may not be able to get any loan signings where a fee is due!!

Just listening to the radio about Crystal Palace, saying that by going into administration today to avoid their winding up order they now have a year of administration to sort out their financial woes. I would imagine that Pompey will do something similar and go into admin at the last moment to avoid being wound up. It seems they will be with us for a while yet, unless the administrator decides they are a lost cause anyway.

Yep.

Pompey won't put themselves into admin though (they would have to apply to the court and I can't see them bothering); if anyone does it will be a secured creditor who stands to lose a lot if they're wound-up.

Yep.

Pompey won't put themselves into admin though (they would have to apply to the court and I can't see them bothering); if anyone does it will be a secured creditor who stands to lose a lot if they're wound-up.

Good point, I'd forgotten they couldn't put themselves into admin.

Can't see any secured creditors doing it, that would delay the Tesco build on the lad that they're secured on. So that leaves Sol Campbell to put the knife in....

Absolute disgrace... and I am not saying that because it is P*mpey.

How can any football club be allowed to buy players when they can't even afford to pay their staff, let alone creditors.

I suppose the one good thing is that no football club in their right mind is going to sell a player to them for anything other than cash up front or a loan.

The Premier League have f*cked this one up completely. If they don't pay the players and staff on time again on Friday, yet manage to rustle up some transfer fees then The FA and UEFA/FIFA need to have a long hard look at what the PL are up to.

Spot on!!

did you know that the flags painted on the bridge at southampton central say (or used to) "welcome to southampton"

Never knew that either. In fact, I didn't know that the flags symbolised letters. :-o I thought they meant something but for whatever reason, like many things I never researched it!

Pretty awesome.

PFC123, it's going to be funny as feck if you don't get 20k+ for this six pointer.

No-one outside of the SO postcode gives a damn about attendances. You only try to make a big thing about it because that's all you can shout about. No-one else cares........

No-one outside of the SO postcode gives a damn about attendances. You only try to make a big thing about it because that's all you can shout about. No-one else cares........

If you visit truebluearmy you will see that many many skates DO care about attendance. It's clear for all to see that we are the better supported club. Do you really think if the situations were reversed that we would be getting attendances as low as yours? Pathetic support. You should be ashamed and you should care because you should want to do something about it.

If you visit truebluearmy you will see that many many skates DO care about attendance. It's clear for all to see that we are the better supported club. Do you really think if the situations were reversed that we would be getting attendances as low as yours? Pathetic support. You should be ashamed and you should care because you should want to do something about it.

Zzzzzzzzzzz.........

Surely though attendances are paramount to you in your current predicament. I would imagine that money raised from your STH is long since gone - therefore your walk up support is the only gate monies coming into the club at the moment. I believe that you need all the funds you can get right now.

It is actually more important though, that you show any potential investors that the fans are still behind the club, and that they will support them should they wish to mount a takeover bid. It would be a far better endorsement of your fanbase than having John Westwood dressed in his clown suit on SSN shouting at potential investors to come and save you.

I have heard more than one commentator recently make comment on the number of empty seats at FP - therefore as you can see, not only is it important, but others outside of the SO postcode do give a damn - perhaps it is time that your JCL did the same.

What should be done about it? What can you do, seriously tell me what an individual, that attends themselves can do to make others shell out £35 for a ticket? It galls me that we could sell 60,000 tickets for Wembley Cup Final, 200,000 people turn out on the common and yet won't go regularly to Fratton park. What do you do? People are fickle, but it's not my place to go into work tomorrow and tell all the super Pompey fans that they're not fans because they don't go. I can only go myself.....Besides you'd not be being truthful if you failed to acknowledge that this malaise is affecting most unsuccessful clubs at the moment. I'll freely admit that Saints do have impressive attendances, but Norwich have impressed me even more, at the end of the day it means nothing to me as a Pompey fan.....

Surely though attendances are paramount to you in your current predicament. I would imagine that money raised from your STH is long since gone - therefore your walk up support is the only gate monies coming into the club at the moment. I believe that you need all the funds you can get right now.

It is actually more important though, that you show any potential investors that the fans are still behind the club, and that they will support them should they wish to mount a takeover bid. It would be a far better endorsement of your fanbase than having John Westwood dressed in his clown suit on SSN shouting at potential investors to come and save you.

I have heard more than one commentator recently make comment on the number of empty seats at FP - therefore as you can see, not only is it important, but others outside of the SO postcode do give a damn - perhaps it is time that your JCL did the same.

Like it or not 'most' fans now are customers. if the product is **** and the feel good factor isn't there many will not go. Put simply that is all it comes down to. I can't stand it and it is at odds with Pompey's 'Super' fans status, but it's just the way it is. Besides, only a fool believes all that superfan crap anyway, Stoke and Burnley are the Superfans now, as West Brom were before Pompey, it's all a load of old cods and I can't believe how many saints fans have got chips on their shoulders over it. :confused:

Like it or not 'most' fans now are customers. if the product is **** and the feel good factor isn't there many will not go. Put simply that is all it comes down to. I can't stand it and it is at odds with Pompey's 'Super' fans status, but it's just the way it is. Besides, only a fool believes all that superfan crap anyway, Stoke and Burnley are the Superfans now, as West Brom were before Pompey, it's all a load of old cods and I can't believe how many saints fans have got chips on their shoulders over it. :confused:

No chips here PES - I would concede that your lot can make a hell of a noise and make FP pretty intimidating. That said, I think to a certain degree the likes of John Westwood do little to actually help the situation. Football has moved on - it is family orientated business - it has a brand. I have never met JW, but personally to me - he portrays an almost thuggish brand - one that we left in the 80's - he does nothing to promote your club. I may have got that wrong - but it is certainly my perception.

I understand that fans are fickle - we have debated long and hard here during our own problems as to whether the fans are partially to blame for the downfall of the club. The JCL's stay away, Man U turn up for a cup game and SMS is full to the rafters again - thats fickle for you.

It is a difficult situation, but a potential investor will look at the club like a business - how many customers do I have - how much will it generate. At the moment the business is patently not generating enough to run as a going concern, therefore it needs more regular customers.

I understand what your saying about the product being crap - but the product will only get better if the income levels increase. If the worst of the worst happens, and you do get wound up and cease to exist (which I really don't think will happen - but a posibility) - how will those stay away fans feel then?

Chuckle.

You really should have been around in the 70s, 80s, 90s mush (that's the trouble with you JCLs) when 5 or 6000 gates weren't unusual at fartton and your lot used to bang on about how you once got 51,000 back in the black and white days (in a 58,000 capacity and thanks to your friends from Southampton (ask yer grandad) and thousands of locally based servicemen who were let in for free) and the "massive" crowds you'd get when you got back to the top-flight. We're now just giving it back to the bitter-blue-few but you don't want to play anymore cos there's no hiding place.

How does it go...

"**** ground, no fans...**** ground, no fans" :)

This is ironic as Storrie was unhappy over Stoke's James offer both in terms of % of wages and loan fee being offered.

Chuckle.

You really should have been around in the 70s, 80s, 90s mush (that's the trouble with you JCLs) when 5 or 6000 gates weren't unusual at fartton and your lot used to bang on about how you once got 51,000 back in the black and white days (in a 58,000 capacity and thanks to your friends from Southampton (ask yer grandad) and thousands of locally based servicemen who were let in for free) and the "massive" crowds you'd get when you got back to the top-flight. We're now just giving it back to the bitter-blue-few but you don't want to play anymore cos there's no hiding place.

How does it go...

"**** ground, no fans...**** ground, no fans" :)

That was nearly a good post Alehouse, relevant points (especially the grandad bit) but slowly faded to childish willy waving. ;)

I cant prove it either way, but the 'Free' entry to Sailors thing is not true. yes i'm sure some were let in free (There is not a football club that doesn't, my wifes a Southampton School teacher so don't get me started on the dishing out of free tickets!) but PFC was effectively set up AS a business on the back of the Navy, it would of been fairer if you'd of said Portsmouth has always taken advantage of a 'Captive' audience.:)

Edited by PES

No chips here PES - I would concede that your lot can make a hell of a noise and make FP pretty intimidating. That said, I think to a certain degree the likes of John Westwood do little to actually help the situation. Football has moved on - it is family orientated business - it has a brand. I have never met JW, but personally to me - he portrays an almost thuggish brand - one that we left in the 80's - he does nothing to promote your club. I may have got that wrong - but it is certainly my perception.

I understand that fans are fickle - we have debated long and hard here during our own problems as to whether the fans are partially to blame for the downfall of the club. The JCL's stay away, Man U turn up for a cup game and SMS is full to the rafters again - thats fickle for you.

It is a difficult situation, but a potential investor will look at the club like a business - how many customers do I have - how much will it generate. At the moment the business is patently not generating enough to run as a going concern, therefore it needs more regular customers.

I understand what your saying about the product being crap - but the product will only get better if the income levels increase. If the worst of the worst happens, and you do get wound up and cease to exist (which I really don't think will happen - but a posibility) - how will those stay away fans feel then?

Couldn't argue with much in that Micky. I have met Westwood and in fairness, he's a mixed bag (Personally not my cup of tea). ;)

Two points here I think PES.

• It was a genuine 6 pointer, which you would expect to sell out easily.

• Skates, before they came up, were always telling us about their fantastic support and how they would pack out a massive new stadium.

I know money it tight for an awful lot of people and that there must be some serious disillusionment amongst home fans, but the crowd last night was appalling.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})