Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Pompey are surely going to get pummelled in that one. Bournemouth came second in the league that they just got relegated out of, and it's not like the players they've added are better - I was talking to a mate last night who mentioned the Charlton keeper they've signed, to a Charlton fan who by his own admission "follows them very closely", and he'd... I quote, "never heard of him".

Way too early for them to have any kind of team spirit, and playing a side two leagues above them away from home. Pluckiness

Oh, and can we make sure we leave a few 50 year old skinheads on Central Station this time to "deter" any flag-hangers... not that it's difficult or anything, but y'know...

Fire up that propaganda machine for the great south coast derby!

It would be very funny for the skates to take some humiliation from bompey similar to how we taught bompey a lesson a few times.

I want to see pompey dominated by bompey and out of the cup at the first call.

agree with sentiment but will not happen Howe will field a weaken side against lower league opposition

agree with sentiment but will not happen Howe will field a weaken side against lower league opposition

I'm not so sure. Bompey need a good cup run to offset their considerable spending to get out of League One.

Plus, there's no love lost between Howe and p****y. He'd love to dump them out and take revenge for the stick he took when he was a player there.

Sorry, delete that. They don't boo their own players.

I'm not so sure. Bompey need a good cup run to offset their considerable spending to get out of League One.

Plus, there's no love lost between Howe and p****y. He'd love to dump them out and take revenge for the stick he took when he was a player there.

Sorry, delete that. They don't boo their own players.

Howe took no stick from us summert like a three year deal, payed big money for a few games, was a sickbay ranger for most of it, when he took over the cherry's he craped on us took back the lone striker and sent him ells were, the ungratefull c**t!

I trust Howard Webb has got the job for this huge match, can't see another ref being able to handle such a big team at a ground where they will have to put some scaffold up to take the thousands of extra fans wanting to watch this south coast cup final.

@pn_neil_allen: Worth bookmarking this #Pompey story and referring to it on day Holmes signs and other L2 fans start whinging! http://t.co/rKXRW059gt

The laughter which greeted Mark Catlin’s playing budget revelation was provoked by disbelief rather than a desire to mock.

Certainly, Pompey’s chief executive had not anticipated such a reaction while in Portugal at the Football League AGM last weekend.

The Blues’ playing budget is around the £1.2m mark, although Catlin is tight-lipped on the precise figure.

Regardless, he believes there are at least four or five League Two clubs spending more. By a considerable distance at that.

Fleetwood, Newport County, Bristol Rovers and Chesterfield are some leading the way when it comes to budgets for the approaching season.

So when Catlin divulged a sum which plants his club in a tightly-packed mid-table, others raised their eyebrows.

This from a club which occupied the Premier League in May 2010.

The chief executive, though, refuses to be embarrassed about the new direction the club is following.

He said: ‘People from other clubs still think we are massive and when I tell them our budget they don’t believe me!

‘There was a famous comment from a chairman in League One when we talked about our respective budgets.

‘He responded with “well that’s for the five-a-side team – what’s your real budget?”.

‘There is a general disbelief of what we are working under in regards the budget.

‘The perception of Pompey is a few years ago they were winning the FA Cup and in the Premier League. Surely they can’t be on that budget?

‘The problem with a lot of the other clubs is they have rich owners, even at League Two level.

‘To own and run a League Two club on a relatively small gate you cannot just be a millionaire, you have to be a multi-millionaire.

‘Most of these clubs, even small ones, are operating on million-pound plus losses which are either being propped up by the owner, a cup run or a player sale.

‘A lot of clubs go into the start of the season knowing they are going to lose a million-pound plus.

‘At Pompey that is not the model, we want to be self-sustaining so our budget is basically what we can afford.’

It seems ridiculous Pompey are already the bookies’ favourite for the title.

Especially when others have bigger outlays.

Catlin added: ‘There is a fall in sales and sponsorships at a lot of clubs generally but there are a few big spenders in this league.

‘Fleetwood have a very rich owner willing to put a lot of money in, while Newport have a lottery multi-millionaire in charge and will have a go.

‘There’s a lot of talk Bristol Rovers are pushing the boat out – and Chesterfield are spending a little bit.

‘There are four or five that are well, well in excess of us.

‘Then you have probably got 15 or 16 clubs that sit in that middle pack – and Pompey are in that.’

Edited by trousers

Not sure you lot have really got to grips with the new reality insomuch as everything to do with ££ is almost out of the hands of the club. They overstep the mark and they are gone, there is no 2nd chances now, they've exhausted the supply of goodwill on offer and, for once, they know it.

Will be interesting to observe whether their fans "get it", or not, as the season progresses...

Purely based on history I'm not convinced that the football authorities really have them under control yet.

The FL should have them in the sort of throttling grip you'd have on Nigella Lawson if you were playfully debating how long a boiled egg needs, but I suspect the only thing holding them back at the moment is their own sensible business plan.

Previously they just flicked the Vs at any high court or restriction, let's wait and see if those days really are gone - business plan A could go out of the window the first time the few ask for a big signing.

Can't see it myself Rallyboy. Whilst they might get a taxi firm in Portsmouth to allow a leeetle credit, or the programme printers to be one match in arrears on payment nobody else is going to extend them any credit, and no bank is going to grant them anything other than a nominal working overdraft (if that).

I suspect the wallets will be opened when the locals start getting restless. The 3 amigos are bathing in the adulation of the fans,but as soon as they start giving them grief I wonder if they might not follow the tightening the purse strings that long. Of course if they really are under the restrictions of the league etc they may well not be able to. Then they will have to make the decision to throw some more of their money into the pot

What don't people understand? They cannot spend more than £1.2m on players, that's controlled by the FL. They cannot pay a fee for a player. That is controlled by the FL. If they miss a deadline for repayment of debts, they lose the Golden Share, that's controlled by the FL. Every extra penny, beyond the figures they've already agreed with the FL & PFA has to do on paying down the debts quicker, that's controlled by the FL.

They haven't a pot to p**s in.

Can't see it myself Rallyboy. Whilst they might get a taxi firm in Portsmouth to allow a leeetle credit, or the programme printers to be one match in arrears on payment nobody else is going to extend them any credit, and no bank is going to grant them anything other than a nominal working overdraft (if that).

In fairness, they have already brokered the deal to have their bins emptied by a local skate with a truck, said skate making it clear he is happy to trash his cash.

It was a major announcement by factless and the snooze, trumpeting the ground-breaking commercial deal, im amazed you didnt hear about it over in Italy!

In fairness, they have already brokered the deal to have their bins emptied by a local skate with a truck, said skate making it clear he is happy to trash his cash.

It was a major announcement by factless and the snooze, trumpeting the ground-breaking commercial deal, im amazed you didnt hear about it over in Italy!

He will only end up Fly tipping it in the New Forest with the other Piky's

@pn_neil_allen: Worth bookmarking this #Pompey story and referring to it on day Holmes signs and other L2 fans start whinging! http://t.co/rKXRW059gt

The chief executive, though, refuses to be embarrassed about the new direction the club is following.

He said: ‘People from other clubs still think we are massive and when I tell them our budget they don’t believe me!

Me thinks there is a word beginning with C missing between "massive" and "and".

Actually several possible C words but the one I am thinking of rhymes with "Bleats"

Edited by pedg

What don't people understand? They cannot spend more than £1.2m on players, that's controlled by the FL. They cannot pay a fee for a player. That is controlled by the FL. If they miss a deadline for repayment of debts, they lose the Golden Share, that's controlled by the FL. Every extra penny, beyond the figures they've already agreed with the FL & PFA has to do on paying down the debts quicker, that's controlled by the FL.

You are right, but they have one exception - remember they didn't pay a fee for Webber, but last week admitted they managed to sign him by paying agents and that might be a route they will have to go down again. Basically they are saying they are already finding ways to 'bend' the rules - or as I prefer to call it 'waving two fingers at everyone'

You are right, but they have one exception - remember they didn't pay a fee for Webber, but last week admitted they managed to sign him by paying agents and that might be a route they will have to go down again. Basically they are saying they are already finding ways to 'bend' the rules - or as I prefer to call it 'waving two fingers at everyone'

Agents fees are in the £1.2m playing budget. They haven't done anything that any other club doesn't do in that respect.

Me thinks there is a word beginning with C missing between "massive" and "and".

Actually several possible C words but the one I am thinking of rhymes with "Bleats"

Good job you said. I immediately thought of one rhyming with "punts"

Their financial year-end is coming up (30th June) whereby they are duty bound to file their current financial position to Companies House. Could be interesting (from an obsessed nutjob perspective)

Thats assuming they file said accounts, have they filed any previously,

i accept that, and hope the FL do keep an eye on it. The owners are enjoying their day in the sun, if the fans turn on them i suggest they might try a few ways to appease.

i accept that, and hope the FL do keep an eye on it. The owners are enjoying their day in the sun, if the fans turn on them i suggest they might try a few ways to appease.

champagne iain and mick certainly have been enjoying the high life down at league two fratton, I too wonder what will happen should they get turned over by Bournemouth on week one of the season... as stated above they have already worked out they can bribe bias out of agents for free transfer deals, so it wouldnt surprise me if they drove the trust bus right through the FL's demands or any financial fair play.

This scenario will also show the HNW's etc and their respective agendas, as we know many of them are not skates, so it will be interesting to see who holds power ... the media hungry skates like iain and mick who would likely pander to the fans or the property developers who likely hold them in contempt and only care for liquidation.

I don't think they did in their previous incarnation but, I think I'm right, they have up to 15 months to file as a 'new' entity.

The company 'Portsmouth Community Football Club Limited' was incorporated on 7th February 2012. The 'next return due' date was set at 7th March 2013 and has been showing as "OVERDUE" ever since. On the 16th May 2013 they lodged an AA01 request with Companies House to extend their 'accounting reference date' from 28th February 2013 to 30th June 2013.

What all that means, in terms of when they have to file their first set of accounts, is beyond me...

The company 'Portsmouth Community Football Club Limited' was incorporated on 7th February 2012. The 'next return due' date was set at 7th March 2013 and has been showing as "OVERDUE" ever since. On the 16th May 2013 they lodged an AA01 request with Companies House to extend their 'accounting reference date' from 28th February 2013 to 30th June 2013.

What all that means, in terms of when they have to file their first set of accounts, is beyond me...

Their Annual return (which states who the directors and shareholders are) is overdue.

Their first accounts will be for the period to June 2013 and need to be filed by the end of March 2014.

The 'return' is nothing to do with the accounts, it's just to confirm Directors details, shares held etc... it's seperate to the accounts.

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/infoAndGuide/faq/annualReturnInfo.shtml

Their Annual return (which states who the directors and shareholders are) is overdue.

Their first accounts will be for the period to June 2013 and need to be filed by the end of March 2014.

Ah, cool. Cheers guys. Not sure I can contain my excitement for another 9 months! :)

To be fair, we heard the same when Lampitt was 'parachuted in' to keep an eye on their finances so some scepticism is perfectly understandable this time too.

@solentsport: #pompey fixtures 3/8 Oxford (H), 10/8 Accrington (A), 17/8 Morecombe (H), Boxing Day Dag & Red (H), NYD Southend (A), last day: Plymouth (H)

Sha la la.... etc

They start and finish against the 2 sides that will probably take the biggest away supports to FP - that will help fill their ground for them. Fixtures helping them out again to give them a strong financial start like they did last year home to Bournemouth, someone's looking after them. It'll be "look at these crowds we get in this division, we're sleeping giants", then the following paltry attendances will never get mentioned again.

Apparently they still haven't got their training ground sorted out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22952043

It's all a far cry from the 2008 story below that states the new training ground will be a "state-of-the-art multi-million pound complex" with "10 full-size pitches, two mini pitches and a three-quarter-size pitch. The complex will be almost 10 times the size of the club's current training ground in Eastleigh."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/7509518.stm

There's nothing quite as sobering as the fixture list to remind you of where you are in the world - reality sinks in when you see it in black and white.

Especially when you're playing against teams that you didn't know existed two years ago.

I recall being horrified seeing us in the same division as people like Dagenham - but you have to remind yourself that you are in that division on merit (or lack of it) and you can't look down on anyone, they've earned the right to be there just as much as we deserved to be there.

The few need to realise that they are now on a par with Morecombe, Fleetwood etc - pompey community fc is not a big club - that was just a previous side with a similar name 65 years ago.

They will need to adjust to the brave new spartan world of fan-funded ownership pretty quickly, and drop the delusion that they are as big as some Championship sides.

They start and finish against the 2 sides that will probably take the biggest away supports to FP - that will help fill their ground for them. Fixtures helping them out again to give them a strong financial start like they did last year home to Bournemouth, someone's looking after them. It'll be "look at these crowds we get in this division, we're sleeping giants", then the following paltry attendances will never get mentioned again.

Indeed, they will get 10-15k for the first and last and factless et al will trumpet this all season.

I will compose his tweet now:

13k. first home game. for a newly relegated club. in league two.

Forgetting all the three thousand away fans and the free tickets etc.

But us nutjobs will know the real figures.

And just look at those fixtures, I checked ours out, then changed the tab to 'league two' and had a good laugh at pompey.

Apparently they still haven't got their training ground sorted out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22952043

It's all a far cry from the 2008 story below that states the new training ground will be a "state-of-the-art multi-million pound complex" with "10 full-size pitches, two mini pitches and a three-quarter-size pitch. The complex will be almost 10 times the size of the club's current training ground in Eastleigh."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/7509518.stm

A little bit of fine detail so sort. I bet there is. Like 6 months or 12 months cash up front.

[TABLE=width: 576]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]13:17[/TD]

[TD=class: chatmsgtext viewer_text][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Comment From WalkerIsAwful

What is the latest figure on season ticket sales?[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtext altcaster_text][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Jordan:

More good news on that front[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Jordan:

The season ticket sales are knocking 6,000 already[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]13:18[/TD]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Jordan:

I'd say that's down to a mix of smart pricing, decent initiatives and the enthusiasm we're seeing around the place[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]13:20[/TD]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Comment From lichfieldpompey

Jordan how many more players will guy get in[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]13:21[/TD]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Comment From Les

Loved the football mail going back 50 years[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]13:21[/TD]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Jordan:

I don't think there is any hard or fast limit on players for Guy, Lichfield[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]13:22[/TD]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Jordan:

We've got 13 in so far, with the three contracted[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Jordan:

Then there's the development squad[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Jordan:

Guy was looking at the possibility of a defender, wideman and striker[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]13:23[/TD]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Jordan:

But I think we're getting towards the limit of that £1.2m budget now[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]13:24[/TD]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Jordan:

So it is likely we are going to see a couple of loans for the last couple of spots

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]13:32[/TD]

[TD=class: chatmsgtext viewer_text][TABLE=width: 504]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Comment From Ben

With William Hill, Pompey are the only team to be odds-on to win promotion in all of the Football League. Wow, pressure! I would take midtable for 2 or 3 seasons![/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]13:33[/TD]

[TD=class: chatmsgtext altcaster_text]Jordan:

Brings up a decent point Ben. The vast majority of people I've spoken to expect Pompey to bounce back at the first attempt

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]13:33[/TD]

That's despite a budget of £1.2m placing them in the middle back in the L2 hierarchy

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtext altcaster_text][/TD]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]3:34[/TD]

A mix of enthusiasm, Pompey's size and, most importantly in my book, the squad we've assembled are the reasons for that.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})