Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I see others have already picked up on this point, and it'll be interesting to see what will happen if they don't. I still have the programme from the boxing day match against Exeter: doubt if they'll be getting 30k crowds anytime soon..

I'm still tempted to dip in to the world of betting as 66-1 for relegation looks tempting.

Hi Sue, I didn't forget, tried the Tee Shirt shops here in BKK. No luck.

Firstly everything these days is in those Gay Neon colours.

Secondly in the old stocks, the only Tee Shirts with relevant logos they had left were No Money No Honey.

Yeah they work, but then they've been wearing them down the road for the past 4 years.

I see others have already picked up on this point, and it'll be interesting to see what will happen if they don't. I still have the programme from the boxing day match against Exeter: doubt if they'll be getting 30k crowds anytime soon..

I'm still tempted to dip in to the world of betting as 66-1 for relegation looks tempting.

Can you get odds for them failing to get promoted? 15 or 20/1 would be good, even 10/1 might be worth a tenner.

see it seems their tight budget overseen by the FL may well be forgotten pretty quickly. They are crack whores of football, they want to kick the habit but the urge to have another high is just too much to resist

What we want to do is attract the best players possible to Fratton Park and sometimes that costs.

... said every owner and manager of Pompey just before each of the previous administrations.

It really is a disease down there, christ!

I predict a quality and quantity recruitment drive the second the deluded start to boo and hiss at their players again.

I am looking forward to the laughs ahead.

Any more commercial deals lined up? Its all gone queit since the landmark bin collection deal heralded a new dawn for pompey.

a crushed can falls out the overflowing bin, but that can will form a waste land of hope

I think you'll find that the solitary piece of moulded aluminium discarded by a tear-faced but plucky child will in fact be recycled, reborn - and as the river of hope laps at the doors of the fatty fortress, a new dawn will warm heavy hearts and light the way for world football to follow.

A small but glowing beacon of expectation shines through the darkness of football's greed culture.

For it may be just a can, but as that proud child shrugs off the past (apart from the cup) and wipes the tears of criminality away with a blue scarf, a scarf frayed by seasons of torment, that simple can signals an opportunity.

Like the coffers it is now empty.

But that solitary can is now owned by fans - and those plucky few who never gave up will now see it recycled into something worthy.

It is a little tin of optimism.

And that's why the rest of football can only look on in envy as the mighty blue army drinks a toast to itself, with empty cans, fatty water lapping around their ankles, and hope in their hearts.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/new-recruit-will-be-best-in-division-1-5218632

Pompey have been told they have signed the best central defender in League Two.

Ricky Holmes believes new Blues team-mate Joe Devera will show himself to be the stand-out player in the division in his position next season.

Holmes has no doubt his pal will prove his worth to Pompey, and shine as one of the league’s top talents in the new campaign.

The 26-year-old has the inside track on Devera, who joined the Blues after leaving Swindon last month, with the pair team-mates from their days together at Barnet.

Holmes, who arrived at Fratton Park himself last week after seeing his protracted move come to a fruitful conclusion, is excited by the impact Devera will have.

Holmes admitted he was surprised to see the 26-year-old defender take the decision to drop down a division after leaving the County Ground.

But he is confident that decision is good news for Pompey.

Holmes said: ‘I was speaking to Portsmouth before Joe was.

‘He rang me and told me he had signed, so I told him I was hopefully coming along as well.

‘I spoke to him last week, too, and told him it was a done deal.

‘It will be good to see him and he’ll be a great signing for us.

‘I was surprised to see him drop into League Two because he’s an established League One player.

‘He’s a very good player, no doubt about it.

‘Swindon had an option on him and decided not to take it. I guess that came down to money in the end.

‘It’s a great signing for Portsmouth – massive. He’ll be the best centre-half in League Two, without a shadow of a doubt.

So League 1 Swindon seemingly not prepared to pay the same wages as L2 Portsmouth... Here we go again!

Mmmm, if Swindon didn't offer him anything, which is what "not taking up the option" means, then the "money" being referred to is Swindon's available wage budget, not Portsmouth's. It also doesn't take much money to offer more than Swindon's offer of £0.

It will be interesting to see if a player not wanted in their squad by a L1 side which made the playoffs is "the best in L2" though.

A parallel would be the kind of CB replaced in the squad by Seaborne/Martin/Fonte at Saints in 2010/11 and then released as a result - Olly Lancashire level springs to mind.

Edited by The9

All I can find is 8-1 for a bottom half finish. I'm not sure how tempting I find that - if you're a new customer they do match your first 25 quid bet though.

Hmm, I can't get onto betting sites where I am at the moment unless I faff around spoofing my IP address, but I'll be in the UK shortly. It's quite difficult to call, I agree, but the implosion scenario wouldn't be an entirely unlikely event.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/new-recruit-will-be-best-in-division-1-5218632

Pompey have been told they have signed the best central defender in League Two.

Ricky Holmes believes new Blues team-mate Joe Devera will show himself to be the stand-out player in the division in his position next season.

Holmes has no doubt his pal will prove his worth to Pompey, and shine as one of the league’s top talents in the new campaign.

The 26-year-old has the inside track on Devera, who joined the Blues after leaving Swindon last month, with the pair team-mates from their days together at Barnet.

Holmes, who arrived at Fratton Park himself last week after seeing his protracted move come to a fruitful conclusion, is excited by the impact Devera will have.

Holmes admitted he was surprised to see the 26-year-old defender take the decision to drop down a division after leaving the County Ground.

But he is confident that decision is good news for Pompey.

Holmes said: ‘I was speaking to Portsmouth before Joe was.

‘He rang me and told me he had signed, so I told him I was hopefully coming along as well.

‘I spoke to him last week, too, and told him it was a done deal.

‘It will be good to see him and he’ll be a great signing for us.

‘I was surprised to see him drop into League Two because he’s an established League One player.

‘He’s a very good player, no doubt about it.

‘Swindon had an option on him and decided not to take it. I guess that came down to money in the end.

‘It’s a great signing for Portsmouth – massive. He’ll be the best centre-half in League Two, without a shadow of a doubt.

So League 1 Swindon seemingly not prepared to pay the same wages as L2 Portsmouth... Here we go again!

Same goes for the out of contract goalie they signed from AFC Wimbledon....I was told that he said he wanted to stay at AFC but Pompey offered much higher wages.

Same goes for the out of contract goalie they signed from AFC Wimbledon....I was told that he said he wanted to stay at AFC but Pompey offered much higher wages.

Again, being offered more than zero does not necessarily mean Portsmouth are offering high wages. By all means beat them with a stick if they start doing so, but so far we only appear to have evidence of them giving a contract to two players who were at a club which chose not to renew their contract and release them. You just said he was out of contract, there's no evidence AFC Wimbledon made him any kind of offer.

Contractually if they're under 23s it would make sense for the original clubs to match their current wages because then they'd get compensation for their training etc, but if they're not U23s then there's no need for the original clubs to even make them an offer, so their options could well be "no job or join Portsmouth".

EDIT : John Sullivan is 25, AFC Wimbledon didn't need to make him any kind of offer because he was on loan there, he was a Charlton player who joined them as a 23 year old.

So, if you're saying AFC Wimbledon ALSO made him an offer but Portsmouth offered more, fair enough, that would say they're able to outbid other teams - but even so, that doesn't mean they can do that for every player in every position, does it ? We're talking about Charlton's 3rd choice keeper at best here, not Sulley Muntari and Lassana Diarra.

But what you actually implied by saying "same" was that AFC Wimbledon had an option and chose not to take it, which is what happened with the Swindon player.

Edited by The9

Again, being offered more than zero does not necessarily mean Portsmouth are offering high wages. By all means beat them with a stick if they start doing so, but so far we only appear to have evidence of them giving a contract to two players who were at a club which chose not to renew their contract and release them. You just said he was out of contract, there's no evidence AFC Wimbledon made him any kind of offer.

Contractually if they're under 23s it would make sense for the original clubs to match their current wages because then they'd get compensation for their training etc, but if they're not U23s then there's no need for the original clubs to even make them an offer, so their options could well be "no job or join Portsmouth".

EDIT : John Sullivan is 25, AFC Wimbledon didn't need to make him any kind of offer.

As I've said on a few occasions, no doubt boring people to death by it, Wimbledon are like a second club to me and I've been keeping an eye on them over the past few years. They did want him to sign permanently, though I don't know for sure if they made an offer. I suspect they did, but it would have been less than what the blue few were offering. Wimbledon have a very small budget.

As I've said on a few occasions, no doubt boring people to death by it, Wimbledon are like a second club to me and I've been keeping an eye on them over the past few years. They did want him to sign permanently, though I don't know for sure if they made an offer. I suspect they did, but it would have been less than what the blue few were offering. Wimbledon have a very small budget.

Yeah, updated since I found out he wasn't even Wimbledon's player. ;)

I think we need to put the wages thing into context. One of them (Caitlin or Whittingham) gave an example of the problems they would have if they gave one of their players £200 more than their wage cap. Yeah, I can imagine the carnage at Staplewood if we gave Gaston an extra £200.

I still find it very difficult to grasp this new idea that they claim to have a wagecap, and the bombshell that they intend to adhere to it.

It's like Jimmy Savile sternly warning young girls to be wary if they go backstage after Top of the Pops.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-in-training-ground-race-1-5221958

Oops :lol:

Pompey are unlikely to be able to use their new training ground for the start of pre-season.

The Blues are relocating to the University of Portsmouth’s Langstone Campus for the upcoming campaign.

The finishing touches are being put to a one-year deal agreed with the university for what will be their third home in seven months, having previously been at Eastleigh and then Eastney Barracks.

However, unconnected work is currently taking place at the proposed Furze Lane site in a massive overhaul of facilities.

That is being carried out by the university as part of an ambitious project to create state-of-the-art playing surfaces.

In addition, three existing pitches need work to bring them up to Pompey’s requirement of Football League standard. The News understands the ongoing work means the venue is not likely to be ready to house Guy Whittingham’s squad for Monday’s return to full training.

Pompey come back for pre-season tomorrow for two days of fitness testing at the University of Winchester.

But it will be Monday before the players and triallists commence training in anticipation of the League Two campaign.

There remains a contingency plan for St John’s College, whose playing fields are located in Farlington.

The Blues have been given the option to train there until the appropriate work at Furze Lane has been completed.

The club have an excellent relationship with the Southsea-based independent school, who allowed the Academy to use their facilities on occasions last term.

Meanwhile, Fratton Park has been ruled out as a stand-in training venue following work on the playing surface over the summer.

With the new grass still bedding in, Pompey’s ground staff want to restrict its use to strictly the two home pre-season friendlies.

The Blues’ stadium was used as an alternative to Eastney Barracks last season when the pitches were flooded and ended up being their primary base.

It leaves St John’s as the alternative for an unspecified period at this moment in time.

Privately, the club do not believe the training ground delay will impact on their pre-season and are relaxed about the situation.

Within that period, Whittingham’s new-look squad are away for a week’s training in Colchester from July 14-20.

Their first friendly is a trip to the Hawks on Tuesday, July 9, followed by a match at Bognor (Saturday, July 13).

It remains unclear how long it will be before they get the keys to the Langstone Campus venue.

Monday, though, marks almost a month before the League Two campaign kicks off on Saturday, August 3.

That begins with a home clash against Oxford.

Pompey demand their clock back from creditors... but don't want to pay for it...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-fans-demand-give-us-back-our-clock-1-5223316

Effing unbelievable!

That is unbelievable. This was also interesting:

Pompey are also understood to be seeking the whereabouts of a painting of HMS Victory, worth around £250,000, which for a number of years had been hung in the boardroom at Fratton Park.

Surely this should have been listed as an asset? Would you really have a painting worth that much money in the boardroom? If so, Chinny probably swiped that years ago.

Pompey demand their clock back from creditors... but don't want to pay for it...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-fans-demand-give-us-back-our-clock-1-5223316

Effing unbelievable!

I suggest they return the clock. Not working, of course, perhaps with the hands set at 3 o'clock. Then if the new club want it repaired they can try and find a firm who will do it for them, big deposit in advance and payment before restitution. Clock repairing can't be a very big industry: I suggest that they'd struggle to find a willing firm.

"Barry Dewing, of the Portsmouth Independent Supporters Association, said: ‘In general there’s been a bit of rebuilding with local businesses. It’s a different club now.

‘It’s a bit surprising that they are now holding it against the present regime about what happened in the past.’"

They're still a million miles away from getting it aren't they?

Simple remove any parts used to repair the clock and hand back in a non working fashion with a quote to have it repaired, paid in advance of course

Lets find out how much the repairs cost then purchase it from the repairers and offer it back to the skates if they pay off all the creditors that they have ripped of over the years.

We could keep it in the storeroom with the Big flag that the fans bought.

Simple remove any parts used to repair the clock and hand back in a non working fashion with a quote to have it repaired, paid in advance of course

I believe they'd be quite within their rights to do that. Seen it happen in the engineering and construction industries before, albeit under properly drawn up contracts.

Clapham Saint to the PTS thread please...

I assume they will want the company to hire a cherry picker at put it back at their cost. The parts that were put in the clock that had to be replaced could still be the property of the company who repaired it. I assume they can take those pieces out and send the clock back not working.

I suggest they return the clock. Not working, of course, perhaps with the hands permanently set at 11:59p.m.. Then if the new club want it repaired they can try and find a firm who will do it for them, big deposit in advance and payment before restitution. Clock repairing can't be a very big industry: I suggest that they'd struggle to find a willing firm.

Tick tock tick tock.

I'm surprised Pompey haven't thought about doing this before now...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pay-play-20k-guarantees-spot-4714096

Pay and play! £20k guarantees spot in Macclesfield team

Cash-strapped Macclesfield Town are offering one lucky fan the chance to sign for their beloved Silkmen and play for the club in a competitive match.

It's every football fan’s dream to pull on the shirt and play for their club in front of a crowd of thousands.

And that dream could be about to come true for one Macclesfield Town supporter – if they have £20,000 to spend.

The cash-strapped club are offering one lucky fan the chance to sign for their beloved Silkmen and play for the club in a competitive match.

It is believed to be the first time ever that a professional club has allowed a fan to play for them and has been described as a ‘unique moment in English football’.

The package will see the fan enter the history books as they register with the FA and get brought on to play at least 10 minutes in a Conference Premier or cup game this season.

But anyone dreaming at their shot at the big time must fork out a whopping £20,000 for the privilege.

It is all part of the club’s drive to raise £100,000 by the end of August in order to keep the football club alive.

There are conditions attached with only fit males between 18 and 35 able to apply. Only one person will be selected to play.

They do not have to be a fan, with officials inviting interest from keen amateur or ex-professional footballers from across the country.

Two weeks ago, Cheshire East Council stepped in to buy the freehold to the club’s Moss Rose stadium to provide the cash to prevent them going into administration.

That deal was finally rubber-stamped last week after complex legal negotiations.

As a result of the deal, Macc Town FC becomes a Community Interest Company (CIC) with fans encouraged to buy shares and have their say in the running of the club.

But bosses revealed they still need to raise £50,000 in each of the next two months to stay operating as a full-time professional team.

As part of the £20,000 package, the fan will be given a squad number as well as a set of home, away and training kit.

He will then train with the first team, managed by Silkmen legends John Askey and Efe Sodje, for a whole week with access to all areas and receipt of usual player privileges including a place in the official club photo.

That’s ahead of a promised appearance in a Blue Square Bet Premier or cup game at some point during the season.

Andy Scott, currently acting as an associate director for the club, said: “It’s common knowledge that the club is in a precarious position and the club are looking at all avenues to keep the club running.

“John Askey and the management have bought into the situation and it’s a wonderful opportunity for someone to become a professional footballer for a week.

“As far as we know it has never been done before so it is a unique moment in English football.”

Andy also dismissed fears that it would affect the team on the pitch.

He said: “If we are 3-0 up with 10 minutes to go that would be a good opportunity for John to utilise the situation.

“There’s absolutely no way we would do it unless it was the right moment in the right game.”

After an urgent appeal for fans to support the team, he said the club had had positive moves recently but still had a ‘mountain to climb’.

He said: “We are nearly at 600 season tickets so fans have committed themselves in that way to the team.

“We just need local businesses to get behind the club now.”

Silkmen manager John Askey said: “What we don’t want is for it to become farcical, but I don’t think it will hinder or restrict the team, far from it.

“We wouldn’t be doing it if there was any danger of that.

“For me, pulling the Macc shirt on for the first time was an extremely proud day and massive achievement.”

Jon Smart, chairman of the Silkmen’s Supporters Trust, said: “Personally I can’t see anything wrong with it. If someone is prepared to pay that, good luck to them.

“I can’t see John Askey ever endangering the result of a game.

“So if it raises £20,000 in order to ensure we can run the club for the season I wouldn’t have anything against it.”

Edited by trousers

BNsH2wwCUAA4SVl.jpg:large

Mike Onslow@MikeOnslow

@JimmyZincke Massive fail from the powers that be. A promising season hits its first hitch before a ball is even kicked. Not good enough!

Jimmy Zincke@JimmyZincke

How do I break to my 5 year old nephew that he won't be getting his new pompey kit tomorrow after being promised? VERY ****ED OFF!! #pompey

Jimmy Zincke@JimmyZincke

1st they showed the wrong shirt online, now we won't even get it on the date we were told!

Edited by trousers

That is unbelievable. This was also interesting:

Pompey are also understood to be seeking the whereabouts of a painting of HMS Victory, worth around £250,000, which for a number of years had been hung in the boardroom at Fratton Park.

Surely this should have been listed as an asset? Would you really have a painting worth that much money in the boardroom? If so, Chinny probably swiped that years ago.

Sweepstake on who nicked the painting?

I would place my money on Limpitt, drunk and disgruntled one night towards the end of his reign.

If not Chinny, all day long! And if he dosent have it, he’s got a charge on it, all over it, fixed and floating.

I suggest they return the clock. Not working, of course, perhaps with the hands set at 3 o'clock. Then if the new club want it repaired they can try and find a firm who will do it for them, big deposit in advance and payment before restitution. Clock repairing can't be a very big industry: I suggest that they'd struggle to find a willing firm.

Absolutely and you would hope the micro industry would support one another in instances of being shafted by 'firms' like pompey.

Give it back to the thick cheating skates in its original faulty state, let them hoist it back up at £650, discover it’s not working, spend £650 getting it back down to find the only will repair agent in the south of England who will/can fix it is Genisis 1 Ltd... whose prices have shot up 300% since the last quote and this time its cash up front.

Good luck to Genisis 1, its shameful that a newspaper can tarnish a company’s good name like that, damaging its reputation all because it did nothing other than try to help pompey in good faith and got screwed over by them.. it’s disgusting behaviour by the propaganda machine the more I think about it.

Someone really needs to teach those DCFSBs a lesson in humility and respect towards others, these c*nts clearly have no shame and I can’t see that c*ckney geezer catlin delivering any lectures on social responsibility anytime soon.

It's unbelievable, really. So, they racked up a huge bill and now the clock holders are one of the creditors. Pompey hand the clock black to be fixed, then get narky when the company they owe money to won't release it.

F()ck off and die, you horrible skate bastards.

so apart from trying to stitch up another creditor by playing the old 'nothing that happened before April 2013 has got anything to do with us, apart from the cup' card,

and being unable to start pre-season training because of legal issues,

and failing to open the doors to their sweatshop ropey kit emporium on time because of legal issues, it's been a pretty average day for the custodians of the club future.

This club ownership gig is a piece of ******.

Makes me jealous. :(

so apart from trying to stitch up another creditor by playing the old 'nothing that happened before April 2013 has got anything to do with us, apart from the cup' card,

and failing to open the doors to their sweatshop ropey kit emporium on time because of legal issues, it's been a pretty average day for the custodians of the club future.

Makes me jealous. :(

And some people said when they were taken over that this thread should close! Plenty more fun to be had yet!!

Makes me jealous. :([/QUOT

Edited by sticksaint
Double post

Jimmy Zincke@JimmyZincke5h

1st they showed the wrong shirt online, now we won't even get it on the date we were told!#joke#sondico #pompey pic.twitter.com/UTsWAf1D7v

Mike Onslow@MikeOnslow5h

@JimmyZincke Massive fail from the powers that be. A promising season hits its first hitch before a ball is even kicked. Not good enough!

Shaun The Cabbie@ShaunTheCabbie4h

@MikeOnslow @JimmyZincke It's only the first hitch if you don't include the training ground contract fiasco or the lack of coaches !

Bob Bain@bobjbain3h

@ShaunTheCabbie @MikeOnslow @JimmyZincke Or even the missing clock

Mike Onslow@MikeOnslow3h

@bobjbain @ShaunTheCabbie Touche and touche!

I think you'll find that the solitary piece of moulded aluminium discarded by a tear-faced but plucky child will in fact be recycled, reborn - and as the river of hope laps at the doors of the fatty fortress, a new dawn will warm heavy hearts and light the way for world football to follow.

A small but glowing beacon of expectation shines through the darkness of football's greed culture.

For it may be just a can, but as that proud child shrugs off the past (apart from the cup) and wipes the tears of criminality away with a blue scarf, a scarf frayed by seasons of torment, that simple can signals an opportunity.

Like the coffers it is now empty.

But that solitary can is now owned by fans - and those plucky few who never gave up will now see it recycled into something worthy.

It is a little tin of optimism.

And that's why the rest of football can only look on in envy as the mighty blue army drinks a toast to itself, with empty cans, fatty water lapping around their ankles, and hope in their hearts.

This is just poetry. Superbly conveys the image of the can-kicking child having existential struggles...

@solentsport: #pompey's plans to develop Fratton Park and the area around it were discussed at a council meeting yesterday

Did they agree to improve the surfaces around the stadium for the benefit of those locals whose mode of personal transport consisted of mobility scooters then?

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})