Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Rivalry aside, when the dust settles someone needs to have a forensic look at their books.

I was never fully convinced by the explanations for our own financial 'hiccup', one might observe that if Pompey go under, someone somewhere will have some serious questions to answer and perhaps some charges to face.

I cannot believe the amount of money that seems to have washed out of the club in the last year and is now 'missing'.

"washed" is the operative word.

when Pompey doubled Crouchie's wages to get him away from a club that had massive Champions League income, the alarm bells should have been a ringing.

The upcoming doomsday outcome has been entirely predictable from the first time they signed a contract they couldn't afford.

Because someone is a ceo or a businessman you assume they have some credibility or skill - but this debacle, like our own, has obviously been driven by idiots of the highest order.

Rivalry aside, when the dust settles someone needs to have a forensic look at their books.

I was never fully convinced by the explanations for our own financial 'hiccup', one might observe that if Pompey go under, someone somewhere will have some serious questions to answer and perhaps some charges to face.

I cannot believe the amount of money that seems to have washed out of the club in the last year and is now 'missing'.

Your right, It's disgusting what has gone on and many might suspect Money laundering could of been involved as Money Laundering is the process of Spending Dirty Money and getting a fraction of it back as 'Clean' money, which may explain why such ludicrous amounts of money we're spent on Players wages (Rather than transfers), in Honesty, Transfer outgoings we're not spectactularly high for any Premier League club, the wages on the other hand were! Pompey may well be the 'Rottenest egg' of the lot, but I doubt it's the only one, if Pompey's demise brings down the whole stinking lot (Which sadly I don't think it will) then some good would of come of it.

lol!

Not even convincing yourself!

Some of your other points maybe taken more seriously if you were more honest.

I think you may be right, Maybe my denial is akin to the Saints fans who Denied they'd take any pride in Saints history if Saints had won the League twice.

So with my honest hat on, i'll re answer the Would I rather have SMS or Fratton Park question.

Yes and No.

If it meant getting more people through the gate because of flexibility on Pricing and quality of facilities then YES.

If it made Pompey a more attractive investment to potential buyers right now then YES.

If it meant building it in another location other than Fratton, then NO (Though in fairness SMS is pretty centrally located, but a Horsea Island Location isn't)

I believe if we had an SMS style stadium the atmosphere would be inferior to Fratton park what with your piped in Crowd noise and after goal music, so on this front NO.

Asthetically there is nothing to choose, Fratton is a Dump which is quite frankly insulting to the punter paying £37 for a game, however SMS is an uninspired Soulless Bowl stadium the design of which future Stadia Enthusiasts will say blighted British Football Stadium design throughout the 90's and early 00's. So TIED asthetically.

So on reflection, your right, right now i's swap SMS for Fratton just for the one reason that it would enhance any longterm chance of survival we might have.

However you get one shot at a Stadium in a lifetime, were I a Saints fan who had any regard for architecture i'd be a bit dissappointed my team, having a new stadium, ran out at such a Bland, uninspired, insipid venue. A great opportunity lost. However as most Saints fans (or football fans in general) don't know the first thing about asthetics, beauty and environment I dont suppose they care one iota.

Actually I would rather we were still at the Dell, but understand why we had to move.

If I we're a Saints fan, I'd rather have the Dell too! Though had you had the Dell, it's doubtful Mr. Swissy would of seen you as so investible?

That is fair and yes the fans are not at fault (except the JCL's) I think that the gloating has not helped but im sure the gloating from this end has not helped build bridges for the future either. It is funny how one of your friends on here (loosely) has disappeared and as has always been suggested he is only around when he can feel superior. (gardening leave Lol)

It is people like him who gloated that i feel no sympathy for.

Evening Nick, Pompey fans come on here for different reasons, I like a bit of intelligent banter, but thats not the sole purpose, others like your old sparing partner, i'd say enjoy winding people up. I'm amused by yours and others spats with him and miss him when he's not posting. It says alot for the current state of the two clubs that he's not around (I don't blame him) at this exact moment in time. Very slim pickings indeed for a Pompey fan on a wind up. I know he ****es alot of people off, but he's a higher class of WOM and when you witness the kind of purile idiocy, from both Children and 40 year old wanna be Football hooligans that goes on in the Rivals message boards, both Saints and Pompey, I'd say he's a breath of fresh air. Hope he comes back soon. :(

I think you may be right, Maybe my denial is akin to the Saints fans who Denied they'd take any pride in Saints history if Saints had won the League twice.

So with my honest hat on, i'll re answer the Would I rather have SMS or Fratton Park question.

Yes and No.

If it meant getting more people through the gate because of flexibility on Pricing and quality of facilities then YES.

If it made Pompey a more attractive investment to potential buyers right now then YES.

If it meant building it in another location other than Fratton, then NO (Though in fairness SMS is pretty centrally located, but a Horsea Island Location isn't)

I believe if we had an SMS style stadium the atmosphere would be inferior to Fratton park what with your piped in Crowd noise and after goal music, so on this front NO.

Asthetically there is nothing to choose, Fratton is a Dump which is quite frankly insulting to the punter paying £37 for a game, however SMS is an uninspired Soulless Bowl stadium the design of which future Stadia Enthusiasts will say blighted British Football Stadium design throughout the 90's and early 00's. So TIED asthetically.

So on reflection, your right, right now i's swap SMS for Fratton just for the one reason that it would enhance any longterm chance of survival we might have.

However you get one shot at a Stadium in a lifetime, were I a Saints fan who had any regard for architecture i'd be a bit dissappointed my team, having a new stadium, ran out at such a Bland, uninspired, insipid venue. A great opportunity lost. However as most Saints fans (or football fans in general) don't know the first thing about asthetics, beauty and environment I dont suppose they care one iota.

Lol - that's the small-town mentality of Pompey in spades.

You stink. You deserve to go pop.

Bye, bye.

Yes and No.

You've talked a fair amount of sense on this thread but.... PLEASE!!

some of the blue few speak sense

do you really believe our promotion push, the signings and more importantly the wages paid out were funded by the sale of crouch?

all the accounts show we were spending more than we received with the shortfall coming out of milans pocket, via directors loans and external loans. we were spending well above our means, but the vast majority of fans were more than happy seeing success on the pitch and at wembley.

we bought promotion and then rather than settle the debt we went mad again under milan and then even madder still under gaydamark. the accounts show we have been spending more than we have been bringing in for a number of years, so to moan now is really hypocritical.

and all the time the vast majority of people (not all i accept) were singing milans name, arranging a statue for him and then offering gaydamark similar respect when he got us the fa cup.

i would love for you to show me the numerous (not) threads during the promotion period and during those fa cup days where posters were calling for the halt of the money men into our club.

we bought our success and now we get all shirty because we now realise the price of that success might be the ultimate price.

those who urged caution during the milan and gaydamark years are exempt from my criticism but 99% out there were only too happy to sing theres only one milan and laud him when he toured the pubs, whilst then welcoming gaydamark and the fake sheikhs with open arms in the dream that they would fund our success

Yes and No.

That's the sort of retarded nonsense I would expect from a Skate - the sort of answer that makes me look forward to your crappy little club going out of business.

I can't believe you are too thick to understand why SMS and other modern stadia look like what they do. Are you really that simple?

Do you think it looks how it does because:

a: Football clubs up and down the country like a bland, generic look to their stadia.

b: Some football clubs have to work within a strict budget and have no option but to build stadia as cost effective as possible to fit into their sustainable business plan.

Try not to strain your inbred skate brain to hard thinking about an answer to that.

Yes and No.

Stunned at the fairness and articulate nature of that post.

You are surely a Saints fan. No skate could ever be so well spoken.

That's the sort of retarded nonsense I would expect from a Skate - the sort of answer that makes me look forward to your crappy little club going out of business.

I can't believe you are too thick to understand why SMS and other modern stadia look like what they do. Are you really that simple?

Do you think it looks how it does because:

a: Football clubs up and down the country like a bland, generic look to their stadia.

b: Some football clubs have to work within a strict budget and have no option but to build stadia as cost effective as possible to fit into their sustainable business plan.

Try not to strain your inbred skate brain to hard thinking about an answer to that.

Unfair, I am very interested in all forms of Architecture, not just Stadia. Bolton's Reebok stadium (Whilst hardly a masterpiece) is a good example of something that for the same sort of cost, could of been a little less Insipid than SMS.

11-0.jpg

Nothing wrong with SMS, just saying that with a little more thought something interesting could of been achieved. Slightly larger is Cologne's Stadium, again a modern design that 'feels' (Ironically) how I believe a Modern interpretation of an English football stadium should, notice the Lights that add something that bit different.

muengersdorfer_stadion_wa261108.jpg

The Walkers Stadium if i'm not mistaken is made to the same blueprints as SMS, which i'm sure saved considerable money on Architect's fees but surely a Football Club should strive for a Design to give their home an 'Identity' of their own?

I am disappointed - around now I come on here for, my daily fix, a link to inform me of more Pompey gloom.

And there isn't one.

Get off your arse and find your own! There's plenty out there, GRRRR some people want there schadenfreude on a plate! ;)

You've talked a fair amount of sense on this thread but.... PLEASE!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Clapham! In the case of the Friends Provident, One mans Functional, Identikit, Bland, Boring Cathedral of the Mundane is another mans Soulless, Uninspired, Samey, insipid Monstrosity. ;)

Unfair, I am very interested in all forms of Architecture, not just Stadia. Bolton's Reebok stadium (Whilst hardly a masterpiece) is a good example of something that for the same sort of cost, could of been a little less Insipid than SMS.

11-0.jpg

Nothing wrong with SMS, just saying that with a little more thought something interesting could of been achieved. Slightly larger is Cologne's Stadium, again a modern design that 'feels' (Ironically) how I believe a Modern interpretation of an English football stadium should, notice the Lights that add something that bit different.

The Walkers Stadium if i'm not mistaken is made to the same blueprints as SMS, which i'm sure saved considerable money on Architect's fees but surely a Football Club should strive for a Design to give their home an 'Identity' of their own?

Cologne's Stadium cost 120million Euros.

The Reebock (modeled on Huddersfield's ground) is over 4,000 seats smaller than SMS and cost more - £35mill. I think Bolton's current debt is around £64 million.

Like I said, some teams have business plans and maximizing revenue is more important than creating something for architecture enthusiasts to wack one out over. When you are watching AFC Pompey at Havant and Waterlooville's shed you might come to appreciate that.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Clapham! In the case of the Friends Provident, One mans Functional, Identikit, Bland, Boring Cathedral of the Mundane is another mans Soulless, Uninspired, Samey, insipid Monstrosity. ;)

Wasn't Fratton Park designed by Archibald Leitch, just the same as most stands and terraces in the 1920s? That's why the North and South Stands at Fratton are the same as the East and West Stands at The Dell.

Fratton Park was built as a functional building, as were all football grounds - Functional, Identikit, Bland, Boring Cathedrals of the Mundane. The difference is generations have grown to love it because it's theirs. Just the same as they will the modern stadiums, which will all change as years go on and developments take place.

No Saints fan misses The Dell because of how it looked. They miss it for the memories they associate with it.

Wasn't Fratton Park designed by Archibald Leitch, just the same as most stands and terraces in the 1920s? That's why the North and South Stands at Fratton are the same as the East and West Stands at The Dell.

Fratton Park was built as a functional building, as were all football grounds - Functional, Identikit, Bland, Boring Cathedrals of the Mundane. The difference is generations have grown to love it because it's theirs. Just the same as they will the modern stadiums, which will all change as years go on and developments take place.

No Saints fan misses The Dell because of how it looked. They miss it for the memories they associate with it.

If I knew how to post smilies I'd put an applauding one right here.

Never really thought of it like that? I guess you could have a point. :)

To be fair I think PES has a point about the aesthetics of St Mary's, I do wish it was a little more unique, although it is certainly finished a lot better than some similar stadiums, like Pride Park and the Walkers' Stadium. Saying that, we have years to add to and improve it, and the more time that passes, the more individual it is likely to get.

I was pretty impressed with Huddersfield's stadium though, quite like the Reebok, but smaller.

11-0.jpg

what an utter load of tosh. It's a football stadium, not a boutique hotel. You really are clutching at straws.

I am disappointed - around now I come on here for, my daily fix, a link to inform me of more Pompey gloom.

And there isn't one.

I have no idea how many of these are regular starters, but being top of the chart of losers has got to hurt.

Players missing by club:

6: Portsmouth (Kevin-Prince Boateng, Nadir Belhadj, Hassan Yebda, John Utaka, N****wo Kanu, Aruna Dindane)

And one man's crumbling festering **** heap is another man's crumbling dump. :D :wink:

Either way it's not a tie!

11-0.jpg

You're right the Reebok is a nice little stadium (still a bit big for p*rtsmuff's needs of course) but....built in the middle of nowhere and, as you say, for a similar cost to SMS but had it been built 4 years later (as SMS) that cost would probably have risen another £20m. Unlike SMS tho' it's not designed for expansion.

The Walkers, identikit to SMS, built one year later, £5m more.

If all your new fans disappear as quickly as they arrived you'll soon be able to clear your debts by selling off 3 sides of fartton to the Supermarket giants and just keep the listed South stand. It'll be big enough - everybody's happy :)

Yes and No.

I have to agree with him to an extent. St Marys has a decent atmosphere for a new ground, and not being "out of town" is also a bonus, but other than that it is still a characterless bowl like many others that sprung up around the late 90s, early 00s, I despise places like Middlesbrough and have a genuine interest in football stadiums and the history they represent.

Germany have done very well with their new grounds, keeping standing and cheap tickets has meant they have kept a lot of the old atmosphere.

Hadn't your lot better pay off all the clubs you owe transfer fee's to first ? :D

Reads to me like somebody trying to insist that they are not over a barrel so that other clubs don't make stupidly low offers in the knowledget hat they can't be turned down (as when Leeds sold Kewel to Liverpool).

Reads to me like somebody trying to insist that they are not over a barrel so that other clubs don't make stupidly low offers in the knowledget hat they can't be turned down (as when Leeds sold Kewel to Liverpool).

Indeed - 'silly money' is mentioned :D

Every club is sure to make ultra-low offers knowing that PFC can't afford to turn anything down.

I might offer £1 to buy one of their players to have as my love slave ;)

Think it will be quiet today.

Next stages are; (my guess)

1 - are players paid?

2- are any quick sales of players made?

3- is the embargo kept on for window?

If the answer is yes to these over the next week then surely they are doomed?

Aesthetically there is nothing to choose, Fratton is a Dump which is quite frankly insulting to the punter paying £37 for a game, however SMS is an uninspired Soulless Bowl stadium the design of which future Stadia Enthusiasts will say blighted British Football Stadium design throughout the 90's and early 00's. So TIED aesthetically.

Up until now PES you've talked a lot of sense, and I guess you've got some argument here, but lets face it, its just the history & memories that you're hanging on too. I can't see how you'd rather have a ramshackle S**te hole over a bright shiny new soulless bowl of a stadium, which may just help get you out of the POO your currently in. I don't think its anything about aesthetics. I've been to several new stadiums & and as you say they lack soul, but that is down to the newness of the stadiums & because they have no history or memories. If you'd been around when Saints moved to the Dell & Pompey opened Fratton then I guess we'd be saying that they were soulless boxes of stadiums.

I remember the first time I went to Wembley, I was so looking forward to it (because of the history), it gave me goose bumps going up Wembley way. but once in side I couldn't believe how bad it was. Now the new Wembley is so much better than the old (went with Brother in Law to Stockports play of final). Now maybe its because its on the old footprint, that still gives it that special feeling I don't know? Many of the new grounds are on new site's & that is maybe what makes them soulless.

1 - are players paid?

By the looks of things the only way that the players can be paid is if a load of players are sold on 1st January.

They'll need buying clubs to pay the fees a day in advance too.

As for the embargo it depends how many they sell but if they are still (say) £8m short of what tey owe to other clubs/HMRC/etc/etc they will have to sell £8m more than they spend...

Barring a christmas miracle idiot investor they are doomed whichever way they turn imo.

Edited by Clapham Saint

1 - are players paid?

The only way the players will be paid tomorrow is if Pompey have been given FA permission to sell players, and receive money, prior to the window opening (I understand that this has been requested). Otherwise, expect players wages to be deferred until the first transfer fee comes in.

Also, most clubs want to stage transfer fee payments over a number of months / years, some with add ons for appearances etc. With Pompey's current plight, they will be after cash up front deals. Without a doubt this will involve a lower fee received.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})