• Jaidi
    • Thomas
    • Harding
    • Lallana
    • Lambert
    • Antonio
    • Connelly
    • Hammond

As other people have said, we weren't outstanding - but we did a job on a decent team and closed the game out (what i'd give for a clean sheet though ffs! - that's why we're not the complete team yet...)

When we got the ball down and moved it quickly in triangles, we were away - there is not one team in this league who would be able to contain that, we just need to get the ball down and do that a bit more...lallana is one of the most technically gifted players in the league, get him on the ball in space and we'll win lots of games.

MOTM for me though was harding, brilliant today - seems to lead from LB and is always directing and shouting.

Hammond was good as well, nice to see him with the captaincy too - i think that's a logical outfield choice if im honest.

Happy days though - no defeat on sky ;)

L James MOM for me. His delivery is always pin-point and cause plenty of problems for the opponent. Good delivery from the corner for the first goal. When he switched to the midfield, his defending was just too good, too strong, too physical, etc for the Charlton players. LOL

High times. As St Landrew said in the other thread, it wasn't even worrying when Charlton scored. I'm concerned we can't keep a clean sheet against anyone, but if we score like this (9 in a row with 2+ goals) then I suppose it doesn't matter much.

So, who does everyone want in the next round? The possiblities are:

Hereford United

MK Dons

Norwich City

I suppose Hereford will be easiest, but I'm not scared of any of those teams at home or away. I seriously believe us to be the strongest side left in the Southern section, and I'd expect us to beat anyone left in the JPT with the possible exception of Leeds.

The draw is made this Saturday, games to be played the week commencing 14th December.

COYR!

I'm struggling to understand how that Charlton side are second in the table, they were probably the worst team we've played this season.

The scoreline doesn't come close to reflecting the dominance and just how comfortable we were from start to finish, and we didn't even play *that* well.

I'm just sad that Morgan is injured losing him meant we lost our domination of the middle however James really put in a good shift in the centre whilst his ball distribution can be a bit too rushed his tackling skills were superb today. I wouldn't give MOM to Lambert, either Lallana/James or Harding were the heroes today. I also think Waigo when he came on played very well tracked back and tackled and posed a big threat.

We looked so comfortable until we missed Morgan in the centre. All in all we're on a huge winning run right now and that win shows we CAN beat anyone in this league, we cope well under pressure (although we do conceded some sloppy goals) Jaidi played well with a few blips at times, Thomas apart from the goal looked a bit rusty.

The only thing.. we should have scored 4, and had 2 blatent penalties for handball and one tackle on Lambert in the first half.

L James MOM for me. His delivery is always pin-point and cause plenty of problems for the opponent. Good delivery from the corner for the first goal. When he switched to the midfield, his defending was just too good, too strong, too physical, etc for the Charlton players. LOL

Just goes to show how people have different views of the same game! I thought James was very good while at RB but I wasn't that impressed with him at CM. He had a few good moments in there but an a few occasions lost a bit of composure and we never seemed to hold on to the ball as well as we could with Morgan in there.

It's always good to get a result when the team haven't played overwhelmingly brilliant though. And in a way I'm kind of glad we let the goal in, you could see that Pards was distinctly not impressed with it and will ensure the players are kept on their toes. Would be nice to keep a clean sheet Sunday though.

Just goes to show how people have different views of the same game! I thought James was very good while at RB but I wasn't that impressed with him at CM. He had a few good moments in there but an a few occasions lost a bit of composure and we never seemed to hold on to the ball as well as we could with Morgan in there.

It's always good to get a result when the team haven't played overwhelmingly brilliant though. And in a way I'm kind of glad we let the goal in, you could see that Pards was distinctly not impressed with it and will ensure the players are kept on their toes. Would be nice to keep a clean sheet Sunday though.

hell, I'm kinda glad we let the goal in as well, I had 2-1 in the Prediction League, finally starting to catch up with Eric! :smt030

Goodnight all, a happy zzzzzzzzzzzzz time

A good win - thought we were the best team throughout the game. Charlton didn't look in it, they didn't deserve their consolation goal, and our defence is now very good - and it shows throughout the rest of the team. Jaidi is a rock at the back, if you ask me he's far better than a League One player, and I will say the same about Harding.

Ratings for me:

Bart - Came in and did a good job. Didn't have much to do to be fair, but did the simple things well. Distribution was excellent, couldn't do much about the goal, and made a couple of saves. On this showing he'd be a competent replacement for Davis in the future. 7

James - Wasn't beaten at the back but thought he was better when moved into midfield. As a utility player he's priceless. 6

Jaidi - Immense. Got a head to nearly everything. With a rock at centre back like him, everyone plays better. I'm much happier with him at the back than anyone else. 8

Thomas - I thought he had a good game. Made a few peculiar decisions defending, but was otherwise solid. Thought he was better as a right back. Scored, but anyone could have scored that had they got on the end of it. 7

Harding - My man of the match. Great in defence, made strides forward down the left and a few key tackles. Never looks phased. Set pieces weren't brilliant, but impeccable otherwise. 9

Antonio - I had about five possibles as MOTM and he was one of them. Always looked dangerous on the right. Must try and bring him permanently. Has pace and seemingly good delivery - and he's always looking to score. 8

Schneiderlin - Is one of those players you don't really notice because he goes about his job quietly. Perhaps too quiet tonight, wasn't suprised not to see him in the 2nd half. Still young, he'll be great for us...one day. 6

Hammond - Unlucky not to score in the first minute and should have done better. Like Jaidi, is key to the backbone of the side and makes the team stronger. 7

Lallana - Played very well and had some key touches to show his class. It's clear his confidence is high as he too is always looking to score. 8

Lambert -Took his goal very well - I didn't think it was going in when he struck it. Could have had a couple more. Thought he had a better game when I saw him against Bristol Rovers in the League at St Mary's, but certainly came into the game more in the 2nd half. 7

Connolly - For someone with dodgy legs, he possesses a good touch and a keen eye for goal. Another "too good for League One" player IMO, if we can get promoted this or next season we'll have no problems in the CCC if we can keep hold of most of these lads. 7

Trotman - 6

Waigo - 7

Mellis - 7

It'd be great to get to Wembley this season, the drenched fans that went tonight deserve it.

I'd go with the same starting 10 outfield for Sunday, unless Morgan is injured, then I'd play Wotton or Mellis. Rather keep James at RB than Thomas.

Trotman has to play IMO. He's our best central defender. Simple as that.

If Morgan is injured I would continue with James in midfield and Thomas at RB. I would also start with Waigo ahead of Antonio.

It's always good to get a result when the team haven't played overwhelmingly brilliant though. And in a way I'm kind of glad we let the goal in, you could see that Pards was distinctly not impressed with it and will ensure the players are kept on their toes. Would be nice to keep a clean sheet Sunday though.[/QUOTE]

A clean sheet against the pillow biters :D

A good win - thought we were the best team throughout the game. Charlton didn't look in it, they didn't deserve their consolation goal, and our defence is now very good - and it shows throughout the rest of the team. Jaidi is a rock at the back, if you ask me he's far better than a League One player, and I will say the same about Harding.

Ratings for me:

Bart - Came in and did a good job. Didn't have much to do to be fair, but did the simple things well. Distribution was excellent, couldn't do much about the goal, and made a couple of saves. On this showing he'd be a competent replacement for Davis in the future. 7

James - Wasn't beaten at the back but thought he was better when moved into midfield. As a utility player he's priceless. 6

Thought he was excellent!

Jaidi - Immense. Got a head to nearly everything. With a rock at centre back like him, everyone plays better. I'm much happier with him at the back than anyone else. 8

Thought he was our worst player!

Thomas - I thought he had a good game. Made a few peculiar decisions defending, but was otherwise solid. Thought he was better as a right back. Scored, but anyone could have scored that had they got on the end of it. 7

Harding - My man of the match. Great in defence, made strides forward down the left and a few key tackles. Never looks phased. Set pieces weren't brilliant, but impeccable otherwise. 9

Thought he was decent but not one of his best games!

Antonio - I had about five possibles as MOTM and he was one of them. Always looked dangerous on the right. Must try and bring him permanently. Has pace and seemingly good delivery - and he's always looking to score. 8

Thought he was good in patches but very incosistent.

Schneiderlin - Is one of those players you don't really notice because he goes about his job quietly. Perhaps too quiet tonight, wasn't suprised not to see him in the 2nd half. Still young, he'll be great for us...one day. 6

Thought he was the best player on the pitch until he got injured.

Hammond - Unlucky not to score in the first minute and should have done better. Like Jaidi, is key to the backbone of the side and makes the team stronger. 7

Lallana - Played very well and had some key touches to show his class. It's clear his confidence is high as he too is always looking to score. 8

Lambert -Took his goal very well - I didn't think it was going in when he struck it. Could have had a couple more. Thought he had a better game when I saw him against Bristol Rovers in the League at St Mary's, but certainly came into the game more in the 2nd half. 7

Connolly - For someone with dodgy legs, he possesses a good touch and a keen eye for goal. Another "too good for League One" player IMO, if we can get promoted this or next season we'll have no problems in the CCC if we can keep hold of most of these lads. 7

Trotman - 6

Waigo - 7

Mellis - 7

It'd be great to get to Wembley this season, the drenched fans that went tonight deserve it.

It's a funny old game! ;)

L James is not a player that can pass as good as Schneiderlin. However, no one in our football club can pass the ball as well as Schneiderlin to be fair. But L James is making monster tackle in the midfield every 3 mins which is what we need to break down opponent's attack.

Is always nice to keep a clean sheet. But results are more important than clean sheet in our position. I would rather win marginally this Sunday rather than draw 0-0 with Brighton with very solid defending. All we need is keep on winning and then we may talk about keep a clean sheet in the FA final, play-off final etc.

The great news is that this squad just continues to gel. We now seem to be getting performances from some of the back up players - Bart, Thomas and Waigo. Good to hear that James also did ok when moved inside. That will certainly help us if we pick up injuries and/or suspensions - and we didn't pick up any bookings either.

Want us to sign Antonio permanently.....He's only 19 and he has a really good eye for the game..didn't have his best game tonight but was still making their full backs sh1t themselves with his runs. Hit the post too i think...or a very good save from his shot..fouled when through on goal, not called up, won free kicks, put some crosses in...the lad has a good footballing brain. Quick, strong, skillful, powerful and football intelligent!

I think he could develop into a wonderful player.

I am delighted to say that I got the score the wrong way around. I thought we played

well, and made Charlton look very ordinary. Nice to keep the run going, which is very

important. Now for the toughie against Brighton. Hopefully we will get as many as 25,000

even with the game being on sky. Great also to see Mr Liebherr at the game as well.

Decent all round performance to be honest. Pretty much the whole team played upto par and put in a good shift. Shame about conceding in the last minute though - concentration has to be high throughout.

That said - as somebody else has said Charlton weren't that great to be fair and how they are 2nd in the league is beyond me. Mind you, if that's the standard that we have to catch - then lets go for it.

It's a funny old game! ;)

It is. It's funny how people see it differently - in Harding's case, he was good at the start of the first half, and his performance didn't flag once. I think he'd probably be an even better player if he had a left sided player in front of him, but all credit to Lallana tonight, had some great touches.

With Jaidi you have to keep your eye on him. (Just like Sky used to do with those cameras where you could watch one player solely for 15 minutes a game.) He's a big lad, and a big signing for diddly squat.

Thought we were poor first half in the final 3rd.second half we loomed more of a threat

decent team performance against a crap charlton. How poor were they

even when they scored (which I was sure was offside or the previous cross was) I knew we would hold on

I think one thing. If we are without lambert for a stretch we could be in trouble

happy tonight. Hereford at home please

Excellent performance, heroes throughout the team. You can tell when things are going to go our way because of the way that the 50/50 balls go and tonight, the vast majority went to us. It demonstrated that we had the extra yard of pace, the extra determination to win the ball. Easy to say that Charlton looked poor value for their league place, but fair enough to credit us for not letting them play. For large parts of the game, they were reduced to passing back or hoofing it forward. We were also guilty of hoofing it forwards ourselves from time to time and also for playing head tennis too often too. Whenever we keep the ball on the deck and pass it around, we show much more composure and keep possession better.

I must confess to some trepidation on hearing that Bart was starting. I needn't have worried as he had a decent match, with little to do, but one good reaction save. Otherwise, his distribution was excellent, particularly that throw to the left wing.

I am happy to hear that Markus was there and I believe that he would have enjoyed the game hugely. He must be proud that his team are in such a rich vein of form, the attendance and support was superb for a minor cup match on a wet and cool November evening, when the game was also televised. The gate was exceptional under the circumstances and goes to show the complete change in the club's fortunes and the growing belief that is starting to prevail that we are a club going places after so long in the doldrums.

When was the last time that we had such a run of results? I'm starting to believe that we should fear nobody in this division and that we would have a decent shout at anybody we get in the F.A. Cup in the present mood. Having beaten MK Dons when they were third and now Charlton in second, other teams will be fearing us.

Decent all round performance to be honest. Pretty much the whole team played upto par and put in a good shift. Shame about conceding in the last minute though - concentration has to be high throughout.

That said - as somebody else has said Charlton weren't that great to be fair and how they are 2nd in the league is beyond me. Mind you, if that's the standard that we have to catch - then lets go for it.

Exactly :rolleyes:

If they are good enough, then we are more than capable of getting into the top 6 and have nothing to fear (except complacency :cool:) if we keep playing to our best.

Sunday will be a big test (the like of which all too often in the past we have failed dismally) .... Following up on good results, a big expectant crowd, against a team under a new manager, and in front of the nation (well those who can be bothered to watch L1 !)

Wow I love being a Saints fan right now ... please let that feeling continue :p

We are 3rd bottom for a reason!! Lord Mal whingebag!!

Yes, and as someone said; but for the 10 point deduction, we'd be in 8th place, and IMO, certainly higher if we hadn't had to dither over the initial -10 points while we eventually got our act together, after starting our close season so tardily.