• Jaidi
    • Thomas
    • Harding
    • Lallana
    • Lambert
    • Antonio
    • Connelly
    • Hammond

A fantastic result against one of the supposed L1 'big guns' we must be putting the fear of god into the rest of the league now. Thought Bart did a great job in goal, looked far more assured than he used to. Lallana was different class, Antonio was everywhere, Rickie Lambert was.....well he scored AGAIN (boring :)) And well done to Wayne Thomas scoring his first goal for about 4 seasons. Connolly looked sharp and confident, when he reaches full fitness we'll never hang onto him, he's going to be awesome.

The only down side was Franny Benali.......he should give up being a pundit right now, his TV Sports pundit skills match his playing skills.......shyte ! :D

Thought Bart did a great job in goal, looked far more assured than he used to.

Definitely - first time I've seen him play and very impressed. Took a couple of excellent crosses and towered above a crowd of players each time to come out with the ball. Couple of good saves (one down to his side on the floor which was an incredible save) and he was really good at returning backpasses (a few too many for my liking) up to the likes of Lambert.

We really give 'keepers a hard time as soon as they make a mistake. However, cap off to Bart tonight, a very very good game and a hell of a lot better than Davis (and Hammond being captain IMHO worked better than Kelvin).

(interesting to see the Ipswich link again!)

Edited by Tractor_Saint

The only down side was Franny Benali.......he should give up being a pundit right now, his TV Sports pundit skills match his playing skills.......shyte ! :D

Humph..! that's your opinion. Not a single umm or err from Franny. Not a single diffrent class or cliche. Just clear opinion. I thought he did quite well during his half-time stint. Well done Franny.

Humph..! that's your opinion. Not a single umm or err from Franny. Not a single diffrent class or cliche. Just clear opinion. I thought he did quite well during his half-time stint. Well done Franny.

Agreed. I thought he did fine, tried not to come across as overly biased in our favour, though did let his guard slip once or twice. Quite articulate I thought.

Maybe he should be a bit more Jamie Redknapp... On Sunday he came out with "a manager can say all the cliches he wants in the dressing room but at the end of the day the players have to stand up and be counted" Genius!

Still worried about Pardew's use of 4-5-1. We are winning games because Pardew has built a great squad with quality players but the team tends to score when playing 4-4-2 and to let in goals when in 4-5-1.

Did you not notice how at times the team alternated between 4-3-3 and 4-4-2. Even when we went 4-5-1, we sometimes went back to 4-4-2. I call that quite classy stuff. It was unfortunate that we conceded at the death. That's more about attitude than formation, IMO.

Next we'll have Papa or Antonio swapping wings.. or have they already had a go at that..? ;)

You're having a laugh? Lallana was awful. No-one was great, but the weather conditions probably account for that. Charlton were pretty weak too.

(yes, I was there - and just finished drying my hair!)

Lallana awful? Most of the Charlton players were fat, old pub teamers by those standards then. Remember, Lallana is not in his best position, but still got an assist and had a couple of chances on goal. His control for one of the passes in the second half was Premiership quality.

Still, it's your view of the game. We all see different things.

Fantastic performance - Lallana my MOTM as he ran his socks off all evening. Too many positives to list them all - but special mention to Antonio...he really is something special and we need to keep him at the club. Thought Charlton were pretty poor really. If we play like that against Brighton, we will hammer them.

A different perspective.

Apparently we were "sloppy", "not at our best". Be careful setting standards :-)

The girlfriend watched much of the scond half, her first game since last season when she was subjected to a few of those awfully embarrassing trips to the pub to watch.

Her exact words - "My God, what has happened to you, you can really play football now, wow this is really good, it's amazing".

Followed by comments about the pace of Antonio, the movement and the speed of the second goal - from the roll-out from Bart to the little triangle of passes to set up lambo for the shot - "wow that was fantastic".

Yes, not up to some of the performances so far in this run, but one heck of a lot better than what it once was!

We are very lucky fans ATM.

For the first time since the Millwall game I managed to watch via a link posted in another thread, Thank You :D

I enjoyed watching all of the team but couldn't pick a M.O.M. other than Lambert.

I also enjoyed Frannys comments, what a change from the usual err and umm that some ex players use.

Finally it was amusing to watch some of the adverts, boy are they different to what I am used to :D

due to work commitments / weddings etc etc this was the first match i've seen live.

I thought the team played very well, and it was nice to see a Saints team dominate the oppos for a change. Saying that - my god Charlton were awful, but we made them look so bad IMO.

If people are saying we were bad last night, i cant wait to see us playing well.

COYR

Like I said at the start of the season, we have the capability to tear everyone in this division apart. If we keep on playing like that, we might even pick up a massive three points away to Leeds.

Thought we played excellently in the first half last night, it wouldn't have looked out of place at the top of Championship.

I must have been more Badgered than I thought last nite reading some posts on here saying that we didnt play well I must have watching a different game cause I thought we were brilliant.

I thought after the 1st half we should have been 4 up with better finishing Charlton hardly got in our half we should have had two pens hit the post the build up for the second goal was breathtaking.

We battered the team that is 2nd in our league the stats at 1 point had us down for 13 shots against 1 for them.

We are a very good side on the up COYS

Got back to Pocklington about 3am - at work now thinking about a bacon sandwich!

I don't think it is any surprise we are doing what we are doing - but the truth will be out once injuries to key players and suspensions start to kick in. However thios is the same for everyone.

After last night I feel a bit more confident about Bartman - amazing what a decent central defence partnership made to his confidence. He actually claimed crosses - no more Cinderella or Dracula!

We need Trotman to sign in January - he is going to be one first class defender, not htat he isn't approaching that now. Team spirit & fans enthusiasm is very infectious - the atmosphere was almost carnival last night.

Still think Norwich are the team to beat - so Hereford at home next round and hope MK Dons dump Norwich out in the Southern sector! As for the final - I'd take on Leeds...it's what the competition deserves - two well supported sides at Wembley!

Final thought to all those still not going...you are really missing out! Bring on Brighton - get a plum 3rd round draw in the FA Cup - and then on to Hartlerpool (at least I'll be home a bit earlier that night!)

Marcus Liebherr you will never know how much you have given the City of Southampton - a decent honest side that plays together and has won back most of the people. It's only League 1 - but not for long.

We still look dodgy at set pieces, and when people run at us - but any ariel bombardment is easily dealt with by Jaidi & Trotters (and Thomas!).

It's nice to be a FAN in fantastic!

That said - as somebody else has said Charlton weren't that great to be fair and how they are 2nd in the league is beyond me. Mind you, if that's the standard that we have to catch - then lets go for it.

and don't forget that they have a massive top of the table clash against 3rd in the league MK dons this weekend - who I thought looked pretty ordinary at SMS.

says a lot about the standard of this division. There is no doubt that the commentators on sky were really surprised with the quality of of our play last night though

very nice to keep the winning run going, take the positives from the game but don't look to much into it as a measure of where we are becasue, if that was a league game i think we would have seen a much more motivated charlton side, whos main goal in promotion.

Having said that you can only beat whats in front of you and a step closer to Wembley!

Great performance, and great result. But we expected that, didn't we?

To me the crowd was more important. I think we got more last night, on a cold, wet and windy Wednesday night in November, in a "minor" cup competition, with the game live on TV, than we were getting at home on Saturday afternoons in the league last season.

Says it all!

Great performance, and great result. But we expected that, didn't we?

To me the crowd was more important. I think we got more last night, on a cold, wet and windy Wednesday night in November, in a "minor" cup competition, with the game live on TV, than we were getting at home on Saturday afternoons in the league last season.

Says it all!

Nice to Markus there too, beaming.

I'm struggling to understand how that Charlton side are second in the table, they were probably the worst team we've played this season.

The scoreline doesn't come close to reflecting the dominance and just how comfortable we were from start to finish, and we didn't even play *that* well.

That's what I thought. Charlton were ****ing rubbish and were lucky to get away with 2-1 :S

Charlton played 4-5-1, were outnumbered all over the field by a side playing high tempo 4-4-2. We put them under pressure for most of the game, they by comparison were very intermittent and as we do a lot of the time when playing 4-5-1 just hoofed the ball up to the outnumbered striker.

I personally don't like 4-5-1 because we don't play it anywhere as effectively as 4-4-2. We seem to score playing 4-4-2, don't concede and take the game to the opposition but with 4-5-1 we sit back and do concede goals whilst not taking the chances created. The extra striker makes all the difference.

Connolly reminds me of George O'Brien the way he plays. I think we are now playing with good width and more pace at a higher tempo. We may possibly be looking forward to a very good season. Last night was really enjoyable.

I am getting worried...I have watched us since 1963...had Big Ron as my schoolboy hero, Paine, Sydenham and the great Brian O'Neill. I was ther through the Keegan, Ball, Channon and Le Tiss years.

I am now 50 and find it mental that I am idolising a giant of a centre back in Jaidi who is immense at the back with his towering headers. Lambert is becoming a particular hero as his all round game is superb, great in the air, leads the line, actually passes to teammates and scores goals. OK last night he wasn't as good as previous games but think that was due to getting clobbered early on - still scored though ;-)

After watching the dross of the last few years I am trying not to get carried away but gosh its great at the moment!!!! I just want us up the table and away from the relegation zone.

Very professional performance - thought Papa did well when he came on - good defensively as well.

What impressed me most about last night's game was our tempo. Straight from the kick-off we were playing at a high intensity, closing people down, we were all over Charlton. Shame about conceding a goal, I stll have concerns about our defence. I am not as convinced about Jaidi as some on here. I would like to say how well Waigo played, his work rate chasing back was excellent. He also did well in the build up to the second goal. It's good to see we have a few options all over the pitch.

I thought the team played very well, and it was nice to see a Saints team dominate the oppos for a change. Saying that - my god Charlton were awful, but we made them look so bad IMO.

What I loved about last night is that for the seond time in this run we made a 'top 3' League One side look very very ordinary. And I love it that people still criticise the way we play.

We have raised expectations as fans now - and if that goes through to the team in a good way (and we have a bit of luck!) I can see us making the play offs.

I thought we played some lovely high tempo one touch football at times last night, mixed with a high work ethic when Charlton had the ball.It was really noticeable to me how Papa Waigo worked very hard tracking back and giving Dan Harding some respite, something the manager has obviously drummed into him.

Guess the only downer was conceding that goal at the end, sloppy to say the least.At least now i can go to the games knowing we can give anyone a game at this level.Happy-Days.

I am not as convinced about Jaidi as some on here.

I think some of us have so been used to having lightweight, non-committed. small, useless centre halves since Killer that we may be going over the top.

He wins so many headers though and its brilliant that from set pieces we now compete rather than conceding almost everytime like last season.

A charlton fan...

''Southampton are 3rd from bottom for a reason and we should steam rolling them''

absolute ignorant london tossers

This Charlton fan cannot count, if he took into account the minus ten point start then we would not be 3rd from bottom, I bet other Charlton fans are already reminding him of this.

I thought we done a very profession job last night , standing in the Northam was great fun as usual, the Charlton fans were woeful to say the least.

My MOM was Jaidi , he did not put a foot wrong , we shut them down very quickly , looked great going forward and were a constant threat up front,

The whole team looked very workman like and I can't remember Charton posing any threat at all really

Atmosphere in the Northam was good and the Lambert song is taking off as each game goes by

Solid perfomance all round

What impressed me most about last night's game was our tempo. Straight from the kick-off we were playing at a high intensity, closing people down, we were all over Charlton. Shame about conceding a goal, I stll have concerns about our defence. I am not as convinced about Jaidi as some on here. I would like to say how well Waigo played, his work rate chasing back was excellent. He also did well in the build up to the second goal. It's good to see we have a few options all over the pitch.

Glad to hear that Papa is doing better - let's hope he keeps it up for the Brighton game - I saw him for the first time at leyton and i wasn't overly impressed - he got himself into promising positions but nothing came of them.

Definitely - first time I've seen him play and very impressed. Took a couple of excellent crosses and towered above a crowd of players each time to come out with the ball. Couple of good saves (one down to his side on the floor which was an incredible save) and he was really good at returning backpasses (a few too many for my liking) up to the likes of Lambert.

We really give 'keepers a hard time as soon as they make a mistake. However, cap off to Bart tonight, a very very good game and a hell of a lot better than Davis (and Hammond being captain IMHO worked better than Kelvin).

(interesting to see the Ipswich link again!)

+1

And his distribution was excellent.