Pards' interview

Badger

"so is it a case of just going into the next 3 games with head high and looking at the positives??" Pardew - "what do you think?"

Lol

He did answer the question about the sub decision for a while then I think something twigged in his mind and thought the guy was implying it was a bad decision so he had a dig for asking it...

He was just annoyed, mostly with the ref and didn't enjoy being put on the spot about the subs.

No big deal whatsoever. He didn't say anything offensive or insulting, just said it wasn't a very good question (or something like that).

Nothing compared to Strachan, Ferguson (****), Mourinho etc

Why not read what other people have written and then form a hyperbolic and red-faced opinion of your own?

He was just annoyed, mostly with the ref and didn't enjoy being put on the spot about the subs.

No big deal whatsoever. He didn't say anything offensive or insulting, just said it wasn't a very good question (or something like that).

Nothing compared to Strachan, Ferguson (****), Mourinho etc

Why not read what other people have written and then form a hyperbolic and red-faced opinion of your own?

fair point

Got arsey when asked about the James on-off substitutions. To be fair the journalist wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't ask about it.

And then gave a sharp answer to the closing harmless question about being positive for the final three games.

Pardew is clearly gutted, so fair enough, but I'm sure there will be plenty of brainless journalist bashing on here anyway.

It's not easy on either party - the manager or the reporter - when both are expected to talk to each other seconds after a match like that.

Got arsey when asked about the James on-off substitutions. To be fair the journalist wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't ask about it.

And then gave a sharp answer to the closing harmless question about being positive for the final three games.

Pardew is clearly gutted, so fair enough, but I'm sure there will be plenty of brainless journalist bashing on here anyway.

Yes, this is also right.

It was an emotional response to a question which was pointed but fair, and then followed up by one which was bland but football.

He acted like a petulant child from what I have read about his reaction to the most obvious question about what happened in the game.

probably because he was, like the rest of us at the game pi$|$ed off with the, and im not bigging this up, the worse ref i have ever seen, anywhere! Then, you get some tosser radio guy asking a stupid question. You'd be ******ed off too.

All too easy from afar isnt it!

probably because he was, like the rest of us at the game pi$|$ed off with the, and im not bigging this up, the worse ref i have ever seen, anywhere! Then, you get some tosser radio guy asking a stupid question. You'd be ******ed off too.

Why was it a stupid question ? It was the probably the most significant question of the interview.

Modern football managers seem to have a problem with even slightly challenging questions, it seems.

If he wasnt in the frame of mind to do an interview, he should have sent Wally out.

Pard's reaction was a human reaction, but let's not pretend he was asked a "stupid question". It was a perfectly sensible question.

And it is part of Pardew's job to speak to the fans after a match and even in the heat of the moment he'd be anticipating being asked that question. Which probably explained his reaction as well. He tried something that didn't come off and is probably furious with himself as well.

Why was it a stupid question ? It was the probably the most significant question of the interview.

Modern football managers seem to have a problem with even slightly challenging questions, it seems.

If he wasnt in the frame of mind to do an interview, he should have sent Wally out.

"so is it a case of just going into the next 3 games with head high and looking at the positives??" = stupid question

questioning one of his subs in a way that sounded like the interviewer knew best after already losing him = stupid question.

If it had been Jose Mouriniho people would be ****ing all over it

Pard's reaction was a human reaction, but let's not pretend he was asked a "stupid question". It was a perfectly sensible question.

And it is part of Pardew's job to speak to the fans after a match and even in the heat of the moment he'd be anticipating being asked that question. Which probably explained his reaction as well. He tried something that didn't come off and is probably furious with himself as well.

He said it wasn't a question he should have asked because he doesn't want to look at the negatives. Therefore he sees that as being a negative move in the game. Does seem he was annoyed with himself for it imo

Was he worse than the previous worst referee this season and the worst one before him? I'm sure that I've seen worse this season. Wasn't there a really bad one a couple of weeks or so ago?

"so is it a case of just going into the next 3 games with head high and looking at the positives??" = stupid question

questioning one of his subs in a way that sounded like the interviewer knew best after already losing him = stupid question.

If it had been Jose Mouriniho people would be ****ing all over it

What would you have asked him, then being that you've ruled out

a) any questioning of significant and unusual decisions taken

and

b) general vague platitudes around being positive going forward type questions

as "stupid".

What would you have asked him?

Can't see any reason to insult a radio commentator who is doing his job and asking questions that were clearly not stupid. Pardew should be sufficiently experienced to know that he will be asked to explain to the fans what is behind the decisions he makes. This was a poor result that has effectively ended Saint's season, although it wasn't just this game that did it, but the dropped points at Exeter and Wycombe as well as the defeat at Tranmere. Some people would like to know what Pardew thinks about his team seeming to struggle against clubs from the bottom half of the league, while performing well against others.

The sub decisions were inexplicable, and a lot of people would like to know if Pardew would admit to a mistakes, such as playing Wotton, taking Barnard off, not bring Connolly on sooner, and what was going on over James. I’d have liked a longer interview and some straight answers. The public didn’t get them, but maybe Cortese will.

Totally agree Alpine. I didn't think the Lloyd James question was a stupid question at all. In fact, it's probably a question a lot of people on here would have been asking after the game anyway.

I like Pardew. He's a nice guy and a good manager. But i think his reaction tonight (to go with other "off-colour" interviews over the past couple of months) suggests that he is feeling the pressure a bit from Cortese.

I have listened again as I first heard it when I was leaving St Marys and I dont think he was rude. He said he brought Lloyd James on to move the ball in midfield and then what he didn't want to say was that James did not do the job he was asked to do so he brought him off. Well done AP for protecting the team and also not saying what all the spectators at the game wanted to say about the referee. I dont think spiderman can be too proud of himself because that was his job to move the ball in midfield and he was sorely missed.

the ref was far from the worst we've seen this season!

we got our tactics wrong - delayed the final ball too much - and played far too much long ball

but I think some of that was down to the players - not just the managers teams selection and tactics

palying Wotton from the what Wotton couldn't or wouldn't

perhaps we should have given Gillett a go tonight

if I was Cortese I'd be asking a few difficult questions in next management meeting!

Edited by Rebel

I like Pardew but I don't agree with him tonight. We were not "brilliant" tonight. We wasted too many crosses that were too loopy, and gave their keeper the chance to claim the ball. The standards we can play it (like Rovers away) were far more clinical than tonight. We also missed Morgan big time. The link up between defence and midfield was missing. The back four played too many square passes. Fonte was outstanding again. We have done brilliant to get this close and it was just one of those nights to be fair. On another day we'd have got one and then opened them up

He acted like a petulant child from what I have read about his reaction to the most obvious question about what happened in the game.

Petulant child? Something you would know something about Geoff. FFS, he wants promotion as badly as we all do and now you are slagging him off for showing some emotion when it is slipping away.

You really are a nasty piece of work and give decent Southapmton supporters a bad name.

Just go away and take C B Fry with you.

Totally agree Alpine. I didn't think the Lloyd James question was a stupid question at all. In fact, it's probably a question a lot of people on here would have been asking after the game anyway.

I like Pardew. He's a nice guy and a good manager. But i think his reaction tonight (to go with other "off-colour" interviews over the past couple of months) suggests that he is feeling the pressure a bit from Cortese.

Perhaps Mr Cortese would like to be the manager then? I am sure he could do so much better.

Petulant child? Something you would know something about Geoff. FFS, he wants promotion as badly as we all do and now you are slagging him off for showing some emotion when it is slipping away.

You really are a nasty piece of work and give decent Southapmton supporters a bad name.

Just go away and take C B Fry with you.

You freakin' obsessed wierdo.

You've clearly moved on from commenting about games you never go to, to commenting on radio interviews you haven't actually heard. Bizarre.

The link to the interview is in this thread; try listening to it and then revising your statement. There was nothing at all petulant about his response, he simply states that its the wrong question to ask as he brought James on to move the ball in central midfield better. That clearly didn't work (as James had a shocker) so he changed it again. No need for the manager to batter his player publicly, so credit for AP if anything for that.

I suppose its no surprise that the usual suspects are on here blaming the manager again after a poor performance and result, just a shame when it's based on not seeing the game and not actually listening to his comments.

Have to say i did think of the reaction on this forum when i heard what he said and now finally being home i see i am right.

Personally i think Pardew was out of order with his answers to the guy. I have stuck up for Pardew a few times but you can't act like that, you have to remain proffesional 100% of the time.

However you have to say that was up there with the most dumb questions to ask someone after that type of game. It was like saying "So are you going to be all negative all week or put it behind you and try to remain positive?". That was effectively what he was saying. This reporter is supposed to be a pro, he get's paid to do that job. It was lousy work and he got burnt for it. It was like he didn't know what to ask and thought of it on the spot.

You have to also understand his passion of that momment. We played ok against a team with a truck parked in their goal with no attempt to play football, no attempt to go forwards at all. We had i think 2 legit penalties turned down by the ref and at least another 2 which on another day could of been given. These types of games always end in someone scoring 1 goal and normally that is down to the ref making the right decision. He got a couple wrong and that cost us. So i understand his ****ed off ness at it. The ref cost us today.

I would of been more concerned if he came out all bubbly and happy.

C'mon, Alpine..

think about it ...we did enough to get a win (17 shots to 3), had a penalty appeal rejected and you expect a happy, smiling response to stupid-a$$ questions.? The manager has a right to make whatever changes he sees fit, and with 20 mins. to go we needed all the strike force we could muster. If it hadn't have been James he could have chosen someone else..

I'm sure the responses were polite...compared with some of the comments he'd got if he interviewed the frustated fans who watched the game.

Don't lets pretend that football managers are diplomats...if so, some of the managerial " role-models " at the top end of the Prem. are very poor examples.

C'mon, Alpine..

think about it ...we did enough to get a win (17 shots to 3), had a penalty appeal rejected and you expect a happy, smiling response to stupid-a$$ questions.? The manager has a right to make whatever changes he sees fit, and with 20 mins. to go we needed all the strike force we could muster. If it hadn't have been James he could have chosen someone else..

I'm sure the responses were polite...compared with some of the comments he'd got if he interviewed the frustated fans who watched the game.

Don't lets pretend that football managers are diplomats...if so, some of the managerial " role-models " at the top end of the Prem. are very poor examples.

Yes, and the line of questioning was why not someone else being that James was on the field for twenty minutes and was a sub himself.

It wasn't a "stupid ass" question it was the question any reporter or any fan would ask.

Pardew's reaction was arsey but fine - you can tell he was gutted and it's great he feels so much for the job he is doing.

But enough reporter bashing already.