The Official Summer Transfers and HCDAJFU Thread

supersonic

Whenever I see his name I can't help but think he is a motorbike racer for some reason.

The San Carlo Honda team maybe confused0024.gif

Ah I know why it rings a bell with me, Colin Edwards. The Texas Tornado !

Edited by chrisobee
Memory block !

I like that Carlos Edwards rumour. He was a very good player at Luton and I thought Roy Keane got him for a steal. The goal he scored at SMS which took them top of the league showed exactly what he was capable of. Perhaps the leap to the Premiership was a little too much too soon. He'd be a brilliant signing.

http://www.brfcforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/90866-someone-had-to-post-it/

Bristol Rovers fans still speculating on a Lines for Holmes & cash swap (albeit having picked it up from Footy Rumours site)...

I just don't get why he signed a three year deal if we inteneded to sign him in the summer. He'd of picked up the now required transfer fee in his wage packet if he had walked on a free. It doesn't add up.

They can have Holmes for free though.

I just don't get why he signed a three year deal if we inteneded to sign him in the summer. He'd of picked up the now required transfer fee in his wage packet if he had walked on a free. It doesn't add up.

They can have Holmes for free though.

why dont you get it..?

he signed to ensure he has security for himself..also, the club can command a bigger fee

why dont you get it..?

he signed to ensure he has security for himself..also, the club can command a bigger fee

If Saints wanted him this summer then we would have set things up for a free contract move. I might be wrong of course, but him signing a new contract back in January suggests that there has been no contact and there never will be. A player doesn't sign a new deal six months before a move, nor does he sign a new deal to ensure his current club gets a bigger fee. He puts himself in the best position possible to get the biggest new contract possible - and you do that by going on a free. All that transfer fee money then goes straight into the players pocket. Do you understand what I'm saying?

Hey guys, someone i thought of who nobody has mentioned for a while is Sam Vokes. Young, battering ram forward, who was on loan at Leeds for a few months last season and is unlikely to get in the Wolves first team.

Throw into the fact he is Saints fan and local boy, it would be good deal.

It seems we will probabaly sign another striker, will it be a replacement for Lambert ie big physical striker, in which Vokes or Adebola would be a great fit or are we going for a speedster ie Jackson or Brandy.

Interesting.......

Any news on Antonio people??? we really need him

If Saints wanted him this summer then we would have set things up for a free contract move. I might be wrong of course, but him signing a new contract back in January suggests that there has been no contact and there never will be. A player doesn't sign a new deal six months before a move, nor does he sign a new deal to ensure his current club gets a bigger fee. He puts himself in the best position possible to get the biggest new contract possible - and you do that by going on a free. All that transfer fee money then goes straight into the players pocket. Do you understand what I'm saying?

ok..antonio signed for reading...must mean he will deffo play for reading this season..?

ok..antonio signed for reading...must mean he will deffo play for reading this season..?

Widely reported that Reading (rather than the plyer) reserved their right to extend his existing deal by a year, so you can't compare the two cases.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/8125184.Reading_extend_Antonio_contract/

I'm just speculating based on logic. The real question is, is he any good?

a few years back my Man City season ticket holder mate said he was going to be the next big thing. Not seen him play myself but always wondered if he might come good having left them.

Hmm interesting, been around a bit, think he has played at Cardiff, Dundee Utd and Celtic prior to joining Boro. Not quite sure how he would fit in but definately the calibre of player we should be after.

Sam Vokes would be a good alternative to Lambert or Barnard to lead the line - and as a Saints fan I am sure he would give that bit extra as well. As Lambert is actually better playing off another he's work well with Rickie as well.

I feel we need a striker with real pace and a 'battering ram' centre forward to give us some real options up front. The pace option is the more urgent one though!

Why does everyone demand a player up front who is quick. Spain won the world cup generally without Torres, and their next quickest player was Navas, who was also a bit part player. None of the starting 11 for Spain are that speedy, Villa must be the quickest and he is hardly rapid at all. Holland also had no speedster in their front line, again neither did Germany. A player that can control the ball and hold onto it, is usually better than someone who is quick but with the touch of a rapist with less end product.

Antonio did not sign an extension.

His contract had a clause in it allowing Reading to extend the contract he had already signed.

He has done nothing.

Reading would be mugs not to action that clause as now they have the option of keeping him or deciding on the fee.

Saints have approached Reading for a permanent move.

Leeds looked a more likely option for him though.

Antonio did not sign an extension.

His contract had a clause in it allowing Reading to extend the contract he had already signed.

He has done nothing.

Reading would be mugs not to action that clause as now they have the option of keeping him or deciding on the fee.

Saints have approached Reading for a permanent move.

Leeds looked a more likely option for him though.

That's right about Antonio...

... but Chez was talking about Chris Lines.

Why does everyone demand a player up front who is quick. Spain won the world cup generally without Torres, and their next quickest player was Navas, who was also a bit part player. None of the starting 11 for Spain are that speedy, Villa must be the quickest and he is hardly rapid at all. Holland also had no speedster in their front line, again neither did Germany. A player that can control the ball and hold onto it, is usually better than someone who is quick but with the touch of a rapist with less end product.

Holland had Robben.

Also we're playing in the third tier of English football not the world cup.

I see what you are saying Wadge, but they all have very skillful midfielders/wingers that go past the forwards, We're not going to get that kind of talent in League one, we need someone who is quick in this league IMO.

On another note, looks like Norwich will be getting Jackson... http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6258973,00.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Holland had Robben.

Also we're playing in the third tier of English football not the world cup.

Robben played out wide not as a striker. I am all for quicker wide players, who can run from deeper and utilise the space with their speed, but I was talking about strikers.

Third tier of English football should not matter, if played correctly that style of football can be used at any level of football. If we could pass other teams into submission we would win, as we have a forwards who can take the chances that come their way. I think with Puncheon on one wing, the addition of another quick skillful left winger & a proper box to box midfielder it would be enough to have two strikers who hold the ball up and bring those players into play. Unfortunately the only quick players you will get in league 1 up front will not have the technique required and will be raw, like Antonio, all the top teams take the quick players with good technique at a young age and don't let them go unless their technique does not improve.

I understand you & back up your comments on both Lines & Antonio. Unless both respective clubs saw it as Saints interest & hurried through new contracts because they were conscious of Liebherr's money & desperate to fill the coffers, I do not know.

However, I do think they may have potentially ruined the transfers because Cortese is (allegedly) a hard nosed c**t with little humility (I'm hearing more & more, sadly) & blatant actions like that to squeeze money from clubs may work in some stupid money circles like Man City but I fear Nicola doesn't like to be hard balled & he strikes me as thoroughly ruthless (which I've no problem with, protecting his boss' money & for the greater good of the club). I just hope that harsh attitude doesn't transgress the good nature of a football club, despite most clubs having an ugly side behind the scenes which isn't commonly known to Joe Public. We rid ourselves of one tosser. Let's hope it doesn't go t*ts up with another megalomaniac. Least this one seems to have money & ambition but I truly hope all the talks of legal cases & such die down.

We want a happy club, happy staff & a chairman of some dignity. Not one who hires, fires, stomps on civil rights & treats proletariat like sh*t just cos he has loads of money.

Rant & digression over. I'm so looking forward to the new season & truly hope it doesn't go t*ts up. It shouldn't but I'm not convinced we'll win the League Outright. This is Saints. I'll ne happier when we've brought in that void we've had for too long. A commanding midfielder. Aside from RB, this was key, key to our progression & a huge point if weakness all season. When you have to bring on Wotton, you know your squad has a huge hole! A Quashie type midfielder - midfield general please. Everyone p*sses their pants over Hammond but he's not all that & does lunge in & risk red cards a lot. He's ok, not a bad player but he's neither that defensive or that attacking so a bit neutral to me!

I really think Beattie would come back if we bid for him. He's not getting on with Pulis but his record when getting a run in their team was excellent, as it was for Sheff Utd. He's far too good for this league still, but maybe he'd enjoy being back and playing regularly.

Agree. We should make an offer. If we don't get him, as Stoke want too much or if Beattie won't come back, then so be it. But if you don't ask ...

I really think Beattie would come back if we bid for him. He's not getting on with Pulis but his record when getting a run in their team was excellent, as it was for Sheff Utd. He's far too good for this league still, but maybe he'd enjoy being back and playing regularly.

He is past his best, has caused dressing room problems before hand both here and at stoke, he will be on massive wages, he will demand to play which pretty much means instead of Lambert (you wouldn't play them together) and he won't be cheap, we are talking 1m upwards IMO, money that could buy a decent CM and a complimentary striker to lambert or cover to him both for the future and beyond.

Basically, i don't want him, too much trouble. Plus he wouldn't fit into saints team anymore, the same way he only fitted into us years back and Sheff Utd and has been sh*te everywhere else.

I don't think Beattie should return. He was a tremendous player for us and a real icon for a largely happy time for the club when WGS was here but too expensive and Lambert was brilliant last year. Better to develop someone younger in the Rickie mould that can learn from Rickie himself.

The squad looks very good as it stands but at the moment I'd have to agree with those that say we lack express pace. Without it, I can see a some repeats of the Stockport home game where until Waigo came on and got in behind them with express pace, we would never have scored if he hadn't have come on and were not a threat. The likes of Morgan suddenly got more room to play as well. Look at how Antonio coming on stretched MK Dons and brought our better players into the game more. Puncheon and Dickson (based on his appearances V us last season) can produce sharp changes of pace so we're not as sluggish as the start of last season but we do need a wide player than can create space. Oxlade-Chamberlain might do it in the medium-term but we don't want to overload a promising 16 year old.

Bring in a quick wide/forward player, a CM and Simon Francis and that's us sorted and probably promoted in the top 2 (unless Bart goes in which case we'd need to replace him).

I don't think Beattie should return. He was a tremendous player for us and a real icon for a largely happy time for the club when WGS was here but too expensive and Lambert was brilliant last year. Better to develop someone younger in the Rickie mould that can learn from Rickie himself.

The squad looks very good as it stands but at the moment I'd have to agree with those that say we lack express pace. Without it, I can see a some repeats of the Stockport home game where until Waigo came on and got in behind them with express pace, we would never have scored if he hadn't have come on and were not a threat. The likes of Morgan suddenly got more room to play as well. Look at how Antonio coming on stretched MK Dons and brought our better players into the game more. Puncheon and Dickson (based on his appearances V us last season) can produce sharp changes of pace so we're not as sluggish as the start of last season but we do need a wide player than can create space. Oxlade-Chamberlain might do it in the medium-term but we don't want to overload a promising 16 year old.

Bring in a quick wide/forward player, a CM and Simon Francis and that's us sorted and probably promoted in the top 2 (unless Bart goes in which case we'd need to replace him).

Holder-Spooner seems to fit that particular area. Ok he doesn't have a seasons experience in L1 like Antonio just had but he does seem promising. Wonder if he has a long throw?

We should offer Stoke £20 million for Beatie ............... but only IF they also take Tony Pulis back ...........................

I have to agree with this post, to add though I did read yesterday that Beattie and another Stoke player did not travel with the team for their pre-season friendlies, so the door has been shown with any doubt.

Holder-Spooner seems to fit that particular area. Ok he doesn't have a seasons experience in L1 like Antonio just had but he does seem promising. Wonder if he has a long throw?

The reviews of him put him in that bracket, would be interesting to see him play. Is he the guy that is on trial from Spurs? The lad on trial from Bishop Stortford has also been recieving positive reviews from those that have been to the "U21" local friendlies. Gillingham did well to get Cody McDonald as part of the Jackson deal, not suggesting that McDonald is neccessarily a good buy for us but is quick and direct and good enough for L1, Holt and Martin were on fire last season which restricted his starts. He'll get 25+ goals in L2. Weston Saint posted last night that we are looking for a wide player fitting this pace description which was pleasing to hear.

Kitson was the other Stoke player left at home, Bristol City and Coppell look a likely destination there on a season's loan. Pulis got done there at £5m, Reading saw him coming. Beattie could go to Boro if WGS feels he wouldn't be too disruptive and can get him fit. I'd imagine Stoke would pay some of the wages.

He is past his best, has caused dressing room problems before hand both here and at stoke, he will be on massive wages, he will demand to play which pretty much means instead of Lambert (you wouldn't play them together) and he won't be cheap, we are talking 1m upwards IMO, money that could buy a decent CM and a complimentary striker to lambert or cover to him both for the future and beyond.

Basically, i don't want him, too much trouble. Plus he wouldn't fit into saints team anymore, the same way he only fitted into us years back and Sheff Utd and has been sh*te everywhere else.

This.

I love the fact that people seem to think that we are in a position to choose whether or not Beattie comes back to us. Like we even have the option to go "Nah, not with your ego son". It wouldn't even get to the point where he'd consider playing in League One let alone whether or not we'd want him.

Jesus.

can't imagine Lambert would be happy to be back up to BT, Barnard clearly hated being subbed last season - so being behind Connolly is not the season he is hoping for!

but this is what AP is paid for! (and BT is not here anyway!)

Beattie is NOT coming back, he has a choice to join a london club or one closer to his Blackburn home area.

However he would love to come back but not in this league and plus we can't afford him although he has about 5 mill in the bank.

How do I know?

Almost from the horses mouth himself.

Move on please......!!